Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I'm working at a kind of football game and I use cloth physics to handle the net at the goal. If I run the game without physics I have 350 FPS but the 6 cloth elements I use slow them down to 30 FPS. Is there a way (not to complicated) to reduce the polygones of the cloth objects or any other way to save FPS?
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 21:34
What?? Same name as me!

Sorry, I don't know much about DP yet so I can't help you.

But I know that if you buy a physics card it will speed up your game/simulation.
However, I don't think it will help us (the ones who run your game) much, seeing as a physics card isn't yet as necessary as a graphics card. My point is, not many people have a physics card (I think).

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 23:37
Quote: "not many people have a physics card"

Not everyone can run them either... some systems, even ones otherwise identical, occasionally have a rare issue where the card passes diagnostics but games can't use it. The same card, placed in a system with identical parts will then be able to run it.

I have this EXACT problem here. I bought a physx card but it only works in my husband's system, not mine. Our hardware is matched precisely right down to the model numbers of the components. I've tried reinstalling the OS on multiple occasions and it doesn't fix it.

We RMAed the card twice. Then took it back to the store and exchanged it for a physics card of a different brand (BFG to Asus). The problem STILL persisted. So we've just given up on trying to run the physx card to run on my machine.

Nothing I say is intended to be rude. My autism means that I do not know what is rude and what isn't rude. I apologize if I seem rude. It is not my intention.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 23:41
Oh, that sounds strange. I didn't know a problem like that existed.
So it means if you buy the card you won't know if it'll work or not :S a scary thought, especially since it's almost as expensive as a new graphics card (at least last time I checked).

Quote: "it only works in my husband's system"

Wow, that was a word I didn't expect. We don't have many girls around here!

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 23:49 Edited at: 1st Sep 2007 23:50
Quote: "So it means if you buy the card you won't know if it'll work or not :S a scary thought"

It's a very rare problem... I only know of two other cases of it happening, and only one of those is confirmed to not be user error.

Quote: "We don't have many girls around here!"

It's understandable. As non-feminist as it may sound, women are intellectually handicapped. The handicap is entirely cultural though. Namely, most women are so preoccupied with their appearance that there's very little room in their heads for anything else. So the intellectual women tend to be very plain and sometimes even dishevled.

Frankly, it annoys me that so many give in to the vapid nonsense of "looking pretty".

That being said, I don't even know how to wear makeup properly, and I haven't worn a skirt since I was 4. And I tend to smell of various chemicals, welding and/or soldering flux, motor oil, various plastics, saw dust, etc... Suffice to say I'm lucky to be married. I met my husband at DefCon '98. He's more of a software hacker, I do hardware and reality hacking...

Nothing I say is intended to be rude. My autism means that I do not know what is rude and what isn't rude. I apologize if I seem rude. It is not my intention.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 00:04
I never thought about it that way, but what you say is making sense to me.

I think it is very cool that you are interested in computers/reality hacking. I know this internet show (hak.5) where there is a girl who does just that (don't know if it's for ratings or whatever though).

Anyway, sorry for being off topic here Lukas. (feels like I'm apologizing to myself.. awww..).

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Atmosfear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 12:35
[quote]some systems, even ones otherwise identical, occasionally have a rare issue where the card passes diagnostics but games can't use it

Happens to me only if i use Physx Drivers newer than 7.05.06
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 15:58
Thanks for the heads up Atmosfear, I'll give it a try.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 22:19
I Found This On The Faq Page On Ageia

It might be the reason the card isnt working

The PhysX Accelerator and AGEIA PhysX system software require a PC running Windows XP Pro, Home or Media Center Edition or Windows Vista with the most recent service pack installed, a minimum of 512 MB of system memory, a vacant PCI expansion slot, at least 50MB of free hard disk space and an additional 4 pin molex power connector (most systems will have one available, if your system does not, a Y-adapter can be used).

Note that requirements to run specific PhysX-enhanced game titles will vary and should always be followed for the best possible game play experience.

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 08:51
Well for cloth what I do to reduce the polygons is to change the depth of the cloth in Phy set cloth dimensions. If you change the number to a lower one, you will get a better FPS, because the cloth is made up of fewer parts.
Atmosfear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 23:19
Quote: "I Found This On The Faq Page On Ageia

It might be the reason the card isnt working

The PhysX Accelerator and AGEIA PhysX system software require a PC running Windows XP Pro, Home or Media Center Edition or Windows Vista with the most recent service pack installed, a minimum of 512 MB of system memory, a vacant PCI expansion slot, at least 50MB of free hard disk space and an additional 4 pin molex power connector (most systems will have one available, if your system does not, a Y-adapter can be used).

Note that requirements to run specific PhysX-enhanced game titles will vary and should always be followed for the best possible game play experience."

I run it on my AMD 64 X2 Dualcore 6000+ with 2 gigs of DDR2 800 Memory and it doesnt matter if i use XP with all Service Packs and Patches or Vista including DirectX 9.0c from August 07. And of course is the Molex Power connector on the Physx Card. This is definitly not a Hardware Prob because the Card works fine if i use the 7.05.06 Driver from Ageia. It just wont work if i use the 7.07.24 Driver.
I changed today my ATI X1600 256Mb against an 7600GT Nvidia 512Mb graphics card and i got the same problem. Old driver works, but not the new one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 00:37:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 00:37:31