Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Axes of Evil!!! Some screenshots of the upcoming demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 08:39
This game has been in development for about a year and a half now. I've been promising a demo for a while, but have been very busy lately. So here are some screenshots to get you primed for the soon to be released demo....

There are many more screenshots on my webpage here: http://www.realitytwin.com/main.html

Comments and questions are welcome.
The Yellow Jester does not play but gently pulls the strings
And smiles as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King.
Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 13:20
Looks nice. Can't wait to see the demo. Is this game gona be freeware?

Only heroes live forever.
[url=www.redostrike.tk][/url]
The StartStrike project is going good.
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 13:21
very very nice Cant wait

Dark worlds are all around us.Open your eyes and you will see.You are still half asleep
http://destined.to/ukchaos
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 18:53
:: grabs yarbles by his feet and hangs him over a bridge ::
you better release this soon, else i'm gonna drop ya
2years is wayy to bloody long to wait for this!!

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 19:23
Looks great!

(Current)-Conquest of the Continent Announced!!-
(progress)-concept/story/goals finished-
(misc.)-Learning milkshape- (as current as)6-7-03
SS1k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 21:02
All I can say is....this was developed in DB!?! It looks like a high end PC game from Raven Soft.

Your work is inspiering to me. Good luck!

.:SIDEP0CKET:.
:..>Mind is Thought
:..>Play is Fun
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 21:19
no offence to anyone else in this community but 1 1/2 years... this could be the first (and only) reasonably lengthed, original game... good job... i never even knew you were working on it

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 21:27
Yeah! Were you developing it in secret?

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 21:34
GREAT STUFF!!! RELEASE THIS DEMO OR FACE MY WRATH!!!!

Keep us in formed!!!

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 21:42
Ooooh, this looks sweet! I should count myself lucky having seen it before... I can hardly wait!

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 00:19
is it too late to switch to pro?
looks absolutely amazing, especially the water.

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 00:36
nice shots.How about speed of game???
You can place all the graphics you want,but fps of the game is an intresting data, if it works only on a 3ghz machine at 25 fps....

Redostrike place an intresting post: is it freeware????
if it isn't,.......

1 1/2 year is a very long time with an advanced language program like db or dbpro... this game will be incredible.Or a big hole in the water!!!!!!

Free Download for a Free World
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 01:01
Wow that looks seriously impressive hurry up and release a demo please!

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 04:56 Edited at: 9th Jun 2003 09:18
Just to clarify.. I have been working on it in my spare time over the past year and a half.. so really it's more like a few month full-time development.. and it's built by a team of two (Ipakagun has made many of the models). So I don't think 1 1/2 years is all that long considering those facts. I will release the demo as freeware for the good of the DB community. If there is good response to the demo, I may continue and build more levels and make a much bigger game out of it and release it commercially.

As for speed.. on my P3 800 with a geforce2 or radeon 8500 it runs about 15-20 fps at default setting for most of the game (except one part where there are over 30 animated characters in the scene where it drops to about 12 fps). Overall it's very playable at those frame rates. When I crank up the view distance and detail settings it runs at about 12 fps on my PC. Also, because of the geo-sprite animation techniques I lock the fps at 20, so no matter what your rig, it will only do 20 fps at best (which is actually exceptional fps for the way this game is designed).

please visit [href]www.realitytwin.com[/href]
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 11:29
Arrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I have a 2Ghz machine and it will be on idle.... I try so hard to educate you all too

Please please please make it smooth on my machine, 20 frames per second on something animated is like watching that robotic dancing from the 80's.

I can give you all the help you need in introducing code to achieve it if you need me too.

It is so easy to make a game run at full speed of a PC and yet be the same speed on all machines, and the smoothness is worth the effort.

andy@bansheestudios.com

Pneumatic Dryll
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 19:57 Edited at: 9th Jun 2003 20:22
To PD:

Well thank you for 'educating' me.. I know exactly what you are talking about, but unfortunately it won't work properly with my geo-sprite animation scheme. I have tried the fps smoothing methods, but they all make for jerky animation because geo-sprites don't support interpolation between frames of animation.

You should not be so quick to assume that you know it all!

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2003 14:15
I've never experienced any problems doing sprite shuttling with a keyframe timer. Hows-about slinging me an example of what you've done and i'll see if I can work it out for you.

Asteroids uses such a system and it works faultlessly

Pneumatic Dryll
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 04:21
Q2 is smooth as hell and its animations are only 15fps
as long as he interpols the animations doesn't matter what the heck your using.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 16:10
This is really nice. Its looking great, Yarbles!

Y'know you should have posted that screenshot of the temple from your website - thats really, really good looking.

GC
http://www.eclipsedevelopment.co.uk/
Succession: The Betrayal developer
the architect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 01:45
IMPRESIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 06:45
It plays as impressive as it looks

*tries to be patient waiting, whets his hunger with Diablo, Diablo II, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Hexen II, etc...*

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 06:48 Edited at: 21st Jun 2003 05:23
-Topic removed-

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 08:02
this project went through a name crisis mate after 9/11

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 08:37
lol... that might be why i didn't recognise the name but the project
people no doubt thought that it was something disrespectful of what happened then rather than its more Middle-earth origins

but then there was that aweful tech demo with the buildings that collapse as if they'd been blown up ... bleck! never even worked for me either lol.

god i've been waiting so patiently for this games, c'mon release already!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 18:11 Edited at: 21st Jun 2003 05:23
-Post Removed-

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 19:20 Edited at: 17th Jun 2003 19:20
Yes, mouse, this is the same project. Initially the only reason for the name "Twin Towers" was as a reference to the name of our company and website ([href]www.realityTWIN.com[/href]). The idea of any relation to 9/11 didn't come up until people started mentioning it on the forums and it snowballed into long debates from there (btw.. I would like to reiterate one point from those debates: that there are many things called "twin towers" all around the world, for example the huge buildings in Kuala Lumpur, there is no trademark held on that name by the WTC).

At any rate, because of some "patriots", it became a distraction from the actual merits of the project. A new name was thought of ("Axes of Evil") that, because of the debate, was somewhat inspired by the orginal name but had no instant gut reaction from the "patriots". I personally think that "Axes of Evil" is a cooler name anyways so that was a big factor in the decision to change names. Also, I was afraid of ending up on one of those decks of cards right next to Sean Penn and Chemical Ali!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 21:11 Edited at: 21st Jun 2003 05:24
-Primary Topic Removed-

By the way... the screenshot page dosen't work in Opera, just IE. Odd!

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 21:22
"I think people will take offense" followed by "but I don't, I understand the reference."

That, and the many parallels "People would buy that, but it's not the sort of thing I want." are the scourge of market researchers every where.

We all have an opinion as to what people really want, or how people will react - but when it comes to the crunch what really matters is do you want it, and how will you react.

Pneumatic Dryll
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 22:39
There was an interesting marketing article in Business 2.0 a few issues ago, about just dropping strategies and taking some big risks-- and succeeding. I think it was quite insightful.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 23:37
I fixed the screenshot page to work with Opera. Thanks for the heads up mouse!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 09:24
Quote: " personally think that "Axes of Evil" is a cooler name anyways "

i would've thought "Blade of the Chosen" or something would've been... or "Odin the Orc Disembowler" hehee pleasent names like them

ya know what irked me about the whole bloody "patriotism" of those who bitched, was that they acted like they own the right to name things.
I mean £50 says that if LOTR:TheTwinTowers was released soon after 9/11 there would've been an uproar and probably changed to "TheFinalStand" or something stupid ... i mean remember how they were banning almost everything remotely to do with Terrorism & involving the name the Twin Towers, blah blah.
just imagine if there was a game out after the Victoria Station Bomb that blew out nearly a whole city block, that involved Vicky Station - lol i doubt anyone would've raised a bloody eyelid over it

sorry but it makes me wanna rant and hit things when Americans do things like they're the ONLY nation that matters in the world...
makes me sick

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 16:14
Quote: "
just imagine if there was a game out after the Victoria Station Bomb that blew out nearly a whole city block, that involved Vicky Station "

There is a stark contrast between America & AlQeeda and England & Ireland.

In England we actually like the Irish, we support them in the World Cup, we holiday there, we give their ex-pats jobs and we buy their exports.

It doesn't quite work the other way around mind, you wont see too many Irish jumping up and down seeing England score in the semi-finals, but it does show just how much more tolerant England is.

"Oh look a bomb, well done lads you got us a good one there.".

Pneumatic Dryll
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 20:15
This is ridiculous. Start an argument elsewhere, Raven. Dryll-- go preach your sick racism on at least somewhat related threads. There are already plenty of topics for you to waste time in. I can't believe you... strutting around, proud of being one of the most racist, bigoted people on the forum. Start a thread in general discussion.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 21:25
It is in this thread that I have just been acussed of being racist and bigoted and so it is in this thread I shall defend myself.

I supported Ireland during the last World Cup.

I rest my case.

Pneumatic Dryll
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 21:49
lol again with the Racism eh, i don't care if i sound racist or not
probably would be good to let ya know though, its not a case of being again the american people ... just the americans.

this is probably a fact more true for elder bro's and such but the way i see it America is like the little Brother of England, they can say what they like, do what they like, good or as bad as they like, they can be sneaky as they like ... And they'll get away with it because the parents let them. They take one step further than you and everyone is there to praise them, they fall flat on thier ass but you achieve something everyone will fuss over the fact they fell flat on thier ass then you actually achieving something.
They can act like the entire world revolves around them and can get away with it - but if we try then we're pathetic and Racist.

and one word i've noticed the Americans have no concept over is Rascism ... If i meet an american i don't immediately treat them like dirt, i don't know them so how i can i judge them. When i dislike someone its because i've take the chance to know them - however a country as a whole i can hate for how they present themselves, you want to change that - you supposidly live in a Democracy do something to change that world view that you guys give off as a nation as a whole.

As for the links between the IRA & Al'Quida ... not all Irish are IRA, and not all IRA are as fanatical as the extremists of the group, the same can be said about the Al'Quida not all Arabs are part of the group. And even if i don't like someone's Bigotry views on something doesn't mean i can't like that person as a whole.
If they DO something about thier views, then i'll actually say "oki, goodbye"

there is one thing between hating the Americans and another running into the center of town dropping a bomb and killing hundreds of innocent people.

So what if i am actually racist, i mean firstly it a matter of opinion and secondly that doesn't make me a bad person ... and i have thought long and hard before about how i treat people especially a good year ago when i though i was racist against Nigerians (anyone who knows me personally would understand why too), but whatever i come up with is i'm not ... i just hate the stereotypical & the portrayal of a nation, those who confine within that are not going to get any love from me cause i strongly disagree with thier views. I don't give a damn about skin colour, nor about religion or prefered gender, if they're fat or slim... i don't care about a persons appearance or beliefs - its when they start to affect about me, like if someone who is racist again arabs tells me that I Can't be friends with one ... there is a good chance they won't be my friend for much longer because if you can't accept someone for who they are not what they represent then just think long and hard who is the REAL racist there.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 22:07
You two are so bloody immature. Since you don't have the brains nor skills to make a new thread in GD, I've started one for you. With a little insult, too, to make you want to reply. Kindly get the hell off this thread.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 22:27
Hehehehe.. I shoulda known this would happen as soon as TT was mentioned. See what I mean when I say the old name was a distraction. Best to take it to another thread, I'd rather not have this thread turning into another "The Elimination of Evil - al Qaeda first shooter demo" thread (does anyone even remember the original game demo that started it all there?)

Anyways, let me attempt to change the subject... I've noticed that the game framerate varies by as much as 5 fps depending on the version of directX installed (also some models cause DB to crash with newer versions of directX, but I believe that to be a texturing issue that I have figured out). For example, with the second release of dx9, the framerate dropped by about 5 fps, with the latest release of dx9, the framerate shot up 5 fps again. Unfortunately, I'm at the mercy of newer versions of directX because usually users don't uninstall them so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope that each new release of directX continues to work smoothly with DBC. I have a Radeon 8500 and am using DB1.13, has anybody else noticed these same quirks?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 22:28
Erm... no i be happy to stay here thanks... if you hadn't brought up the subject we wouldn't have replied to it.
Your own fault - perhaps next time you'll think before you engage your fingers eh!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 00:19
Raven, best not to be a jerk (a worse one than you always are I mean). I know of several mods who don't like you already, and it'll be in your best intrests to stick with the main topic of the post. Besides, it was me who brought the damn topic up, and it's not my thread, so you have no excuse for sticking around anyways.

Yarbles-- that's DBC for ya; I haven't coded in it in a loooooooong time so I wouldn't know. Is it utterly impossible to port over at this stage? DBP will most likely run the game two times faster...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 00:58
It wouldn't be utterly impossible. But the reason I haven't done it is because it wouldn't be of great benefit to the performance. "WTF??" you say?.. Well yes! Based on my tests with my matrix landscape system DBPro actually runs it slower than DBC!.. For one simple reason, certain optimizations that I have developed using the SHIFT MATRIX commands (if you want to see what I'm talking about go here: http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=3771;start=0) just don't work in DBPro at this stage. In DBPro I have to refresh the whole matrix everytime a new row or column is required from the map array, in DBC I only need to set the edge and use the SHIFT MATRIX command. It makes for a big performance boost in DBC, big enough to warrant staying with DBC.

Also, there is the stability issue, DBC may have some quirks but I found it is alot more stable with various computer hardware and operating systems across the board.

DBPro needs to mature more before I would consider making a game for public consumption with it. Doing so would be a tech support nightmare at this point.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 04:18
Good points. I see what you mean. Well if you do release the game in DBC, and then it gets ported to a more stable DBP later, I'm sure it'd be a welcome improvment

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 08:49
Quote: "I know of several mods who don't like you already"

really? last time i checked i currently almost daily contact 4moderators, and they don't seem to have any problems with me at all ... if they did then 2 wouldn't be working with me, and the other two wouldn't talk to me for no reason at all.
Rich although might not like me, i don't think he has any particular dislike for my either - if he does then whenever we talk he doesn't seem to show it.

think that leave just 2 mods, so if thats most then i'd have to ask if you failed math at highschool

as for the demo ... ack waiting makes me hungie

Glennyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 11:44
Quote: "In England we actually like the Irish, we support them in the World Cup, we holiday there, we give their ex-pats jobs and we buy their exports.

It doesn't quite work the other way around mind, you wont see too many Irish jumping up and down seeing England score in the semi-finals, but it does show just how much more tolerant England is."

I'm Irish, and I resent comments like this. When I walk around my home town, and I see British soldiers with armed rifles standing on the corners eyeballing everyone suspiciously, and when when my late grandmother had to live with the sound of helicopters flying over her home every day to reach the British Army base that's actually come to be a sizeable fraction of the town's overall size, I can understand how the everyday person could look around and see an occupying force. And then not cheer for that occupying force in the World Cup. It has nothing to do with the Irish being intolerant.

And you know what? I do cheer for England in the world cup. But my mother doesn't, and I totally understand why. If the situations were reversed, I'm sure that supposed English "tolerance" would evaporate.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 12:16
Glennyboy, you do sound very much as if you are speaking from the perspective of a Northern Ireland resident, sadly Ireland is still a nation divided but that's never what I was meening to discuss and debating these somewhat sensitive details is loosing the point I was trying to make about the original name of the game.

My point was that the name 'Twin Towers' many people would say: "I think people will take offense, but I don't" and funnily enough, I think everyone would say that, thus ever-eluding us as too which people we think would take offense...

Pneumatic Dryll
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 13:08
i cant believe i wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this thread... i feel like a lesser human being having voluntarily sat through the whole thing... some people nee help. The games not called the twin towers, it was but never will be again, so why do people try to argue that the name would be good.

On a brighter note... game looks nice, maybe you should hurry with the demo so these people have something more interesting to talk about.

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
Glennyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 15:53
Quote: "Glennyboy, you do sound very much as if you are speaking from the perspective of a Northern Ireland resident, sadly Ireland is still a nation divided but that's never what I was meening to discuss and debating these somewhat sensitive details is loosing the point I was trying to make about the original name of the game.

My point was that the name 'Twin Towers' many people would say: "I think people will take offense, but I don't" and funnily enough, I think everyone would say that, thus ever-eluding us as too which people we think would take offense..."

Yes, then you made an ill-informed statement about the people of Ireland. My intention is not to debate the issues of a divided Ireland, and I don't believe I began any discussion in that area. I merely pointed out some factors to consider before making such sweeping statements in future.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 16:05
I*0 am sorry*1 Glennyboy*2, I shall*3 in the future*4 ensure*5 that all*6 of my*7 arguments*8 are clarified*9 where any*10 possibility*11 of miss-understanding*12 exists due to the inadequate*13 perception*14 of another forum dweller*15.

*0 I meant as Pneumatic Dryll, and not a person who could be using the computer of Pneuamtic Dryll.
*1 Sorry is meant in according with a general appology, and not in preceeding a threading a raised tone that might imply a threat.
*2 Excludes all persons named or handled as Glennyboy but who did not post in the preceeding post.
*3 Intended to meen conform.
*4 Intended to meen from this point in time onwards and does not excluded the present or depict a far-future state.
*5 Intended to reinforce the statement and not provide insurance cover.
*6 In full and without exception.
*7 And herein is the limitation of this warranty, not that any warranty other than is written is implied and shall not in any way effect your statutory rights.
*8 In this instance the term argument is used to imply a state of forum discussion and not a state of aggrevation between two persons, whether they include Pneumatic Dryll or not.
*9 No other warranty is implied.
*10 In the perspective of Pneumatic Dryll as the author of posts hereby warrantied within the exceptions set out in *7.
*11 As *10, but numbered differently so as not to cause further confusion and still applicable to the exclusions in *7.
*12 Any miss-understanding or miss-conception is not the fault of Pneumatic Dryll and no responsibility is accepted in offering this warranty. This agreement is entered into in the spirit of forum co-habitation and is not a legal agreement.
*13 This is in no way meant to imply that any forum dweller is in any way inadequate and is used here purely to explicity describe the short comings of any miss-comprehension of intention of the postee, Pneumatic Dryll.
*14 Perception is also taken to meen understanding and is used here as a grammatical reference and not in the context of the visual cortex with exception of the written word wherein the stated conceptualisation of perception still applies.
*15 Of course no persons dwell in a forum in a literal context, this is to imply co-habitation of a forum in a virtual sense and in conformity of the normal operation of the forum.

Clear enough?

Pneumatic Dryll
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 18:23
'think that leave just 2 mods, so if thats most then i'd have to ask if you failed math at highschool'

I didn't say 'most' I said 'several' and yes, I do know them. I personally don't buy the 'daily contact with 4 mods', but whatever floats your boat, Raven...

Would you two MOVE THIS TOPIC ELSEWHERE? Create a relevant thread in general discussion. I'm shocked that both of you are too childish to do that.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 21:39
i always luv it when a topic went off-topic! lmao!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 08:46
tell ya what just name all of the mods because last time i checked the only active mods are

Puffy, Martyn, RPGGamer, Kangeroo2, Indi & Rich

Puffy is programming something with myself & kdSnake, Martyn is my semi-time Webmaster, RPGGamer contacts me alot just to chat, and Sam whenever he & i are online chats to me.

Indi somehow i doubt he likes me much & Rich seems pretty indifferent.

If i remember then at one point Yarbles was a mod (but he isn't no more) same goes for another person but i don't remember who.
Feel free to list the others which don't like me though

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:57:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:57:27