Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / ESRB Rating Costs!!! Cheaper than you think.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@Talairina

I also live in the UK and most games here arn't rated by BBFC alot are done by PEGI or ERSB so thats incorrect however. I agree with you that it is law here for games in public, physical domain to be rated.

Thanks
Adam
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems that the same thing might be happening here in the USA. It is still up for debate. Some say that ratings will never be mandatory here. Some say that it could become a law very soon that all games that are sold here in the USA will have to have a rating. Of course neither side seems to have any facts to support their claim. It's all just a game of conjecture at this point.

It is a fact however that the esrb has contracts with all the big store chains and software outlets. The retailers can't sell anything that is not esrb rated. That is a term of the contract.

I think that if enough people complained and the right action were taken, that might have to change. Their are laws in the USA against monopolies. Complete control of any part of what should be a public domain is illegal. Or rather is it supposed to be.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 01:51
that all souns like a cheap ripoff 2 me, wen i sell my game ill just put 17+ on it and not waste $800 ( u cud by a ps3 and a psp 4 that crap)

bob larry
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "that all souns like a cheap ripoff 2 me, wen i sell my game ill just put 17+ on it and not waste $800 ( u cud by a ps3 and a psp 4 that crap)"

I agree with that 99%. There are people that say that it is ok to have the ESRB rate your games for $800.00 or $4000.00 but it is not ok to have a smaller company do it for $5.00. Where does that make sense? They argue that it is a matter of the ESRB being more recognized. I say that any company can get that kind of recognition if there is enough people behind it.

I do see however, that puting a rating on your game yourself may not be the best idea. If someone actually asks who rated your game and you say that you did, the people that asked might see you as being a bit partial toward you own product. That could hurt your sales and your wallet. If you say that you had an unrelated third party rate your game, then people might be more receptive to that.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2007 15:08
I joined the site to help the fight (hehe it rhymd kinda)

Good luck

Gamers Gear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2007 20:58
well we DO need a rating system for FPSC, even though most of the games here is not higher (or lower) than the 12+ rating, some of the games is clearly higher than 12+, What we need is to start a full non-profit rating system for local FPSC'ers, even though it won't help us putting them in stores, it will help us from an epic lawsuit from everyones favorite "videogame-expert/lawyer" or something.

I had some thoughts about doing it myself, But I doubt anyone want his game rated by a strange teenager who got into highschool just becuse he was very lucky, and spends most of his free time playing C&C Generals becuse he found it on sale, and can't really tell the violence level between the roadruner runing around, and Postal dude doing his weekly shoping. (Postal players will get it)

Gamers-Gear the only gear you need!
jjjj12212
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 10:37
if you want to sell this game leagally to a friend or family, do u need esrb to check it?

ERROR
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
IRGC is non profit, the charge is to fund the site ect

Thanks
Adam
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2007 19:54 Edited at: 25th Oct 2007 19:55
Quote: "if you want to sell this game leagally to a friend or family, do u need esrb to check it?"

No you dont need a rating for that, or to sell it online..

fpsc game KillTV update 22Oct.http://www.avantivita.com/killtv.html
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 21:31 Edited at: 27th Oct 2007 21:43
Quote: "There are people that say that it is ok to have the ESRB rate your games for $800.00 or $4000.00 but it is not ok to have a smaller company do it for $5.00. Where does that make sense? "

BESCAUSE, it is an investment.
You get that money back, and a lot more with it, when your game sells.

Quote: "No you dont need a rating for that, or to sell it online.."

But you do need an ESRB Rating to sell your game at Wal-Mart or GameStop. (or any other major distributor)
I do not agree with this, but that is simply the way it is at this time.
I hope the retailers soon stop supporting the ESRB monopoly by allowing other ratings for their products.
But, as long as they have store policies requiring an ESRB Rating, then you have to get one if you want to "play the game".

It all depends on how much you want your game to make...Hundreds or Thousands?
I plan on paying the $800 for my first FPSC X10 release, even though I will release less than 10,000 copies.
The distributor I have chosen has a $25,000 minimum buy order. (they will do larger buy orders too of course)
They buy your game from you in quantity at wholesale prices upfront, then resell it.
What they mark it up and how many they sell is up to them..
So, if they can't sell it then that's their problem (you already have your money).
The ESRB rating can make you or break you when it comes down to making a 'real deal'.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 07:25:49
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 07:25:49