Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC new model pack. Ruins review.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 01:36
So, I thought I'd get the ruins pack and save myself a bit of time making ruins.

I got the thing, and it installed very easily. Hurrah.

Having placed all the ruins into an empty map, I thought I'd have a look at what I'd got. I have to say I was slightly dissapointed. The models are mostly created side on from a reference image. For the most part this is kind of a cardboard cut out job, with the outline of the ruin referenced, and extruded to give it depth.

I don't want to insult the creator, there is more detail than a simple extrude, but they aren't hugely detailed. This is where my first dissapointment came. The buildings are (on average) 2000-3000 polys, which is pretty high for FPSC, and for that many polys you don't get a great amount of detail.

The textures are a good size and offer alot of detail, although many are presented in rectangles, which run slower than a square texture. Also, they are, for the most part, unaltered front view images, with the sides and top of the model textured using small sections of the front image. It's not so much a texture map, as a model textured with a front view. This means that the scale is sometimes off, with bricks being lager and more stretched on the sides of a model than the front.

While I'm talking about textures.... you get 18 ruins in the pack, but because they are all made from different images of ruins, there is not much continuity. For example, you get ruin_2 and ruin_2B which are parts of a wrecked church. They look great, but there are no other ruins that fit with them.

If you have no modelling skills, then this is a great pack. you can easily make ruined maps with lots of destroyed buildings (watch that poycount). I think it's a bit sad they didn't include some rubble piles and stuff, to make the ruins look more real, but for the most part you'll have fun.

If you're already modelling your own stuff, you can probably do better. For £4.99 it's a bargain, and it'll save you time. But what with the UVs being taken straight from a flat image, and the heavily triangulated models, you're going to have a hard time modding them to give you the variety you need, and are probably better off doing your own set, with a more common theme.

BreakDown (out of 5)
Value for money ***
Quality of models ***
Quality of textures **
Variety ****
Suitability for FPSC **

56%

Overall : a limited yet vaguely useful pack. You'll buy it, check it out, fiddle with it, but probably never use it in an actual game.

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks butter now i can reconsider getting it.

Jfac rules
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 02:20
Great Review.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 03:24
Thank you for solving that for us, Butters.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 10:41 Edited at: 4th Dec 2007 21:31
Thats a good review, I bought that pack as well, there is streaching on the sides and seams, they needed to use a 3d paint program and go over these seams, 3d paint progs are a must for skinning if you dont want seams in the texture, I dont know what I would do without mine.

The 2 church entities also dont work in my game, they come out all black in the game.

I also wonder why they are entities and not segments, Im sure I saw a post by you saying that entities do no block what is behind them, so if you have stuff behing a wall entity that cannot be seen, the comp still draws it as only segments stop the comp from drawing whats behing them, also Im sure I read you did a test and instant hit projectiles are not blocked by entities.

Just tested this.
Using the ruins as entities and going near them is a big no, no.
the collision is bad and you get stuck in them, so these can only be used as distant objects.
Ill try as segments, see if I get stuck in them again, if I do then dx9 is un usable period, so lets see.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
that one guy
Years of Service
User Offline
my friend Butter fingers i would like to ask you if you could show me how to download your dual wielding fps creator fellows
Nowdie
Years of Service
User Offline
i think tgc is just making pack for some quick money and not really putting any efoort in them like the old ones
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 04:59
Quote: "...think tgc is just making pack for some quick money and not really putting any efoort in them like the old ones "

...nah, they wouldn't do that...

Own It, Or Get Owned...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 11:06
Quote: "i think tgc is just making pack for some quick money and not really putting any efoort in them like the old ones "

I don't think they made them...... I think they got them from Arteria, (fpsc-models.com).

Quote: "...nah, they wouldn't do that..."

Of course not! TGC always look after us more than anything else,......

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 11:51 Edited at: 8th Dec 2007 11:51
Quote: "i think tgc is just making pack for some quick money and not really putting any efoort in them like the old ones"

Has no-one seen model pack 16? Its brilliant!

I am The Master. You will obey me!
Fluffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 16:40
I dont know about you guys but i relly love the ruins and they go really well with other terrain like trees and such...like the one in the pic on the site advertising them!

You just wasted a few seconds of your life reading this signature!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 16:45
Quote: "Has no-one seen model pack 16? Its brilliant!"

True. I highly recommend it for the quality you've come to expect from TGC model packs. The others..... well

The fact that TGC has displayed little info on them and has not responded to requests for more screen shots is further proof that they were not created by the usual TGC sanctioned pack creators.

I would think that their being so busy with X10 had something to do with their quick acquisition of the other packs. Just my suspicion, though.

Best.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 16:50
Quote: "my friend Butter fingers i would like to ask you if you could show me how to download your dual wielding fps creator fellows"

Well posting off topic in one of my threads would be the first way not to get them.

I never released the dual weild guys. They aren't available for download anywhere.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 17:29
Thanks for the review Butters. I think you should show them up and make a really nice pack of ruins.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 17:33
testing

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 18:09
Dude, you posted in my thread doing that. Jeez.

that one guy
Years of Service
User Offline
o well i see sorry by the way got the model pack 16 today if thats on topic
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 03:17
There is a problem with the ruins pack, 3 of them are completly black in game, ruin 2, ruin2b and ruin 11, the problem is its materials, instead of a default material with ambient set to white, its got a .png tex, this tex is not even with the pack, I dont think fpsc even supports .png, so there is that problem, I looked at some of the UVs, very odd how they have done these, some parts of the UV map are not even on the tex. they have made these in some kind of odd manner from photographs, from the ones I opened up in a model program, the meshes was a little wastefull as well, I edited some, would need to open the others to comment fully on the meshes, they are all super ineficient on the mesh layouts, Im not sure how they made these things, looks like they extruded from photographs, its not the best way to make models at all, and like I say, 3 of them dont light correctly and come out all black.

Fluffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 13:33
All of mine work perfectly i love them

You just wasted a few seconds of your life reading this signature!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 16:31
fallen one.

Quote: "some parts of the UV map are not even on the tex"

what do you mean? The UV map is infinite!

But I agree, when compared to any of the other TGC packs, (and many of the user created ones), this is distinctly sub-standard.

Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
Can someone tell me which pack it is were talking about?

I've been wondering for weeks!

hey
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 22:26
Quote: "i think tgc is just making pack for some quick money and not really putting any efoort in them like the old ones"

TGC didn't make it, Arteria games did. I'm surprised the TGC made it an official model pack. TGC is responsible for pack 16, their artist Simon Benge made it.

Good review. I'd considered buying it, and I'm glad I didn't now. I'd be happier making my own ruins models, I wouldn't get cardboard props. I've bought a couple things from Arteria and I'm disappointed every time. I've never used an Arteria product, whether it be model or music, in something I've made. I should have learned my lesson by now.

Come see the WIP!
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 00:30
Quote: "what do you mean? The UV map is infinite!"

I opened it up and looked at the UV map, really odd UV map, Ill take a pic when I get time, the mesh is in the centre of the map, with heaps of wasted space, its been layed out really quite odd, Ill have to take a pic to show this, then past the map, we have mesh parts, just plain odd, Ill take some images to show this as its hard to describe when I get some free time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 09:18:36
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 09:18:36