Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Typing Skill-based RPG Spell Casting System.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 23:21 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2008 23:22
In the past, I've written 1 or 2 Games that utilized Typing as primary component of game play. As I was multi-tasking between surfing the DB Forums, Coding iCon, and StoryBoarding DarkMORG Engine, an idea for a RPG Magic system materialized in my mind's eye.

What about a RPG Spell Casting System based on Typing Skill? The premise is simple. You type in phrases to cast spells. The faster and more accurate your typing, the more successful/powerful the spell. It would be a challenge of both memory and hand-eye coordination.

I would not expect players to memorize a book of Spells, therefore one would store their spells in a Grimore (notebook). To make things interesting, certain effects on your character could impair your ability to view your Grimore, to cast spells. For example, Sleepiness could blur text, Confusion could scramble cerain letters or order of words, etc.

hmm...

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2008 23:57
I use something similar in Geisha House. Spells are constructed with runes, but can be typed out as well. I don't focus any gameplay elements on the typing aspect because players won't be interested in a typing game, they might just appreciate the option of bypassing the rune system.

Come see the WIP!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 01:26
Cash Curtis, you have a good point. I really don't know what players want. I've have only played 2 computer RPGs: Final Fantasy VII and X2. Most of my RPG experience is in Pen & Paper.

What draws me to Computer RPGs is Leveling up and enormous amounts of different spells, items, armor, weapons, and monsters you can experience along the way. But the game play is siginificantly faster paced than PnP with Point & Click Guis. At least thats my observation with Final Fantansy and its Active Time Battle feature. And timing is measurement of success in the above concept.

My goal was to try to add a 'physical' skill element to the RPG. But, now that think about it, it does require some form eye-coordination skill to quickly navigate a gui menu and select the intended spell. This could be achieved with a mouse.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 07:09 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 07:09
Conceptual depection of GUI-based Click-Skill RPG Spell Casting System. Player clicks on Hand Rune Symbols in various combinations and speed to activate spells.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:37:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:37:06