Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Anyone else as disappointed as I am about the speed of an X9 update?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 01:47
I think the current skybox is fine, it's just that FPSC has no way to use matrix terrain or memblock terrain or even Advanced Terrain (in respective order from worst to best).

If REAL terrain were to be implemented into and supported by FPSC, then outdoor levels wouldn't be as hard on the engine! The only problem with having terrain is, FPSC's editor is a tile based (or in this case, "cell" based) editor, and good looking terrain cannot be contained within cells. In the end it just doesn't look right, or it'll come out "blocky" looking, as if some little kid stacked a bunch of oblong shaped legos together and called it terrain.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Dude, I'd rather be declared a dbpro noob than an fpsc legend any day!
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 04:13 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 04:17
Quote: "You see, I reckon that this is why TGC made X10: because, quite frankly (and everyone will agree with me) FPS Creator X9 is completely and utterly worthless at creating games worth playing."

Maybe I'm cynical because I've been around a few years, but no, you're dead wrong. Seriously, FPSC is an engine. Find me an engine, ANY game engine, with fewer bugs than FPSC. I dare you. I double-dog dare you. Torque, Unreal, Quake... they all have bugs. And do you really think there aren't any FPSC games that have been made that are worth playing? I'd bet BOTB developers would resent that. I know I would if I won that title. And seeing as how I'm currently developing a major project in FPSC, one that I plan to sell commercially by the way, I resent that remark as well. But then FPSC isn't just a drag and drop editor for me, I'm working my butt off altering the source code, adding custom models, the works. That's what you'd end up doing with any other engine on the planet as well, by the way. The cool thing about FPSC, they give you models to work with, with available model packs for purchase, and package everything for easy use and implementation. I defy you to name a single other engine that does that. Seriously, FPSC is awesome.

I don't regular these boards, I'm a Geek Culture and Game Design Theory dweller, so pardon my ignorance here... but have you ever made a full game? Not a level or two, but a full game, with, I dunno, 5+ levels and some sort of plot. I don't want this to come across as rude as it's likely to sound, it's a real question though. I don't think you can honestly respect FPSC for all its worth until you've seen how much work it takes to make a full game with source code you've written yourself. It's easy to bash an engine for having a few bugs, but I'll tell you this: If you can make a game with fewer bugs than FPSC (not an engine, just a game) while keeping other projects fully updated, and still making new projects, I'll eat my Pumas.

Sorry, not singling you out or anything... it just really annoys me when everyone is so critical of FPSC without understanding how much work is involved here, and without knowing anything about other game engines either... there's no such thing as a perfect game engine, but FPSC is as close as you can get without dishing out thousands of dollars.

EDIT: PS, at MISoft we've already worked out how to adjust terrain from playing with the source code, you'll see a game using that down the road from us

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 11:15
Hmmmm.... maybe what I said was a bit harsh. I'm sorry. Really!

Well, FPSC may be capable of making games worth playing,
but only from really experienced people who know what they are doing. Like BOTB. If a ten year old kid picked up FPSC and thought,
"Hey! I'm gonna make a game and sell thousands!" then they have a million to one shot of doing that.

WOOO OOOO WOOO OOOO WOO OO OO OO OO OO
I'm a fan of Doctor Who.....
Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 17:24
Quote: "If a ten year old kid picked up FPSC and thought,
"Hey! I'm gonna make a game and sell thousands!" then they have a million to one shot of doing that."

You find a game engine that will allow a kid to do that then.

Simon
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Things are happening with X9 right now- January is always a quiet time for TGC (they all go on holiday!)
Hang tight and download the colt45 and commando updates on the models and media forum.
Molten Ice
Years of Service
User Offline
lol YAAAAAY! i'm no more a newbie member on this forum and all my posts get posted instantly !!

So i shall take advantage of this and join into this conversation which wen from newer update request to freedom of speech in USA, Great Britain AND sweden to another update war!!

I live in OMAN!! for gods sakes who the hell lives in oman?? I'm perhaps the ONLY person in this whole country (it's for real... google 'oman') who owns FPSC and I'm loviiing it!! Who cares if the updates aren't there?? it's TGC's product and THEY will decide what to do with it! if they wanna update let them do so at their own pace!!

i know that we all paid for it etc but come on! FPSC is quite stable ATM... though i do wish we had allies working...
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 00:28
*sitting on the side eating popcorn and drinking Seven-Up*

What is up with this freedom of speech thing? For crying out loud, your government's bill of rights doesn't apply here! I'm 100% sure there is no international treaty between the United States and the United Kingdom requiring that U.S. citizens be granted freedom of speech on United Kingdom based web services. You aren't even guaranteed such a right on a U.S. forum!

Anyways, more on topic - I've recently gotten a Vista computer and am quite happy with X10 (except for the whole aspect ratio thing - of course that looks as if it's rather easy to fix). More to the point, people here should realize that TGC has no obligation to release updates for FPSC or X10. Both products have been released in working condition and do EXACTLY what they claim they do.

Quote: "Learn some modelling / scripting / animation / texturing. It's not like you can't improve other aspects of your game creation whilst the next update is being worked on"

I agree entirely with this statement. Alot of things can be done in scripting that people don't realize. People claim the AI sucks, well, you can just write a new script! I even released some very complicated and (if I do sayso myself) well-done scripts myself (no, I'm not digging up the link, use search). You people complain about vehicles - did you see that hoverboard that was released in models & media? That's a vehicle, ain't it?

I'll end my monologue at that.

Vote today and play the games!
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 00:41
well actually freedom of speach doesn't apply to any website and the admin or mods are allowed to suspend this so called right which is what we boys and girls call a ban(really this right is obsolite its not really there unless your a politican)
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 02:18
Quote: "well actually freedom of speach doesn't apply to any website "

Isn't that virtually what I just said? I didn't bother encompassing all websites, but that's pretty much it.

Quote: "really this right is obsolite its not really there unless your a politican"

I sure hope not.

Vote today and play the games!
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 08:33
Quote: "Quote: "really this right is obsolite its not really there unless your a politican"

I sure hope not.

Vote today and play the games!"

Lol your sig makes it sound like you are a politician when used in that context

[center]
Gizmoguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 15:42 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 15:45
i thought id join in on this little debate

ive had x9 for over a year and im happy with the updates.

sure x9 has bugs but im useless at modelling etc and this is the easiest program ive found and makes games alot faster + quicker then any other ive found.

sure it cant do everything that everyone wants but it does alot. if we know its not the best at doing outdoors why dont you all stop moaning and make a great indoor game instead?

id love to see some new updates etc but im happy how everything is now. this just seems to be a x10 bashing thread by all the people who have x9. i have vista and want x10 but im waiting till ive got as far as i can with x9

Ash x

Edit:

some people i know are working on a game with about 25 people and they have to code it all themselves, i made a room pretty much identical with slightly better graphics in a hell of alot less time!

God in his heaven, alls right with the world.
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 19:57
Quote: "
Isn't that virtually what I just said? I didn't bother encompassing all websites, but that's pretty much it."

i thought you said english sites only but i re read your last post and didn't notice it says
Quote: "You aren't even guaranteed such a right on a U.S. forum!"
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 23:12
Please stop going on about freedom of speech. If the government catches wind of this independant conversation (which they always do) they won't stop until all anarchists on these forums are killed! The secret police will raid our homes at night, take our loved ones and put a bullet through our skull! Well, come on then! Bring it on! I'll say whatever I please. You can stop me, but you can't stop the movement! If you kill us, more will take our place. Aaaagh!

my blog!
Latest post: You are ranked 70,454th in the leaderboard. Try again?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 23:19
Turning this thread into a political debate will get it locked for sure.Wherever else you may find freedom of speech you won't find it here.You are subject to censorship and to any moderation that requires.
Posts about this update are acceptable.Posts about anything else are not.Keep the posts on topic.

Please have mercy and use the search function.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 23:41
The only thing I'm disappointed of is while my game runs at 32-33 FPS constantly with under 5 bad-guys, no matter what. After 10 bad-guys, it almost unplayable. With that fixed, Allies, better AI, rag-doll and water. Tada I'm pleased for life. Oh and time based Frame-rate would be nice too. I'm not requesting to much am I?
*Slayer_2

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 23:43 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 23:47
Sounds a lot like X10. Down to curry's with you.

EDIT: Actually, that doesn't make much sense. OK, let's try this again...

Sounds a lot like X10. You better get on the X10 website and- oh it aint working.

my blog!
Latest post: You are ranked 70,454th in the leaderboard. Try again?
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 05:08
Quote: "After 10 bad-guys, it almost unplayable. With that fixed, Allies, better AI, rag-doll and water."

C) Too many entities causes bad framerate:

A) Consolidation goes a long ways and can still make a game look and feel good.

C) I want allies:

A) Go grab a mod, grab sensei, and have fun! If you're too lazy to do that, and still want to complain, then I urge you to be too lazy to do that either.

C) I want better AI:

A) You ARE ALLOWED TO SCRIPT NEW ONES! If you're looking for enemies that work together, then I suggest you crack open the source code and START WORKING ON IT YOURSELF!

C) I want Ragdolls:

A) There are tutorials for this in DBP, and everyone DOES have open access to the source code. (Believe it or not)

C) I want water:

A) See previous 2 answers.

Look, asking for something over and over again is not going to make them work on it faster. If you are that impatient, then do it yourselves!

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Urlforce:
Dude, I'd rather be declared a dbpro noob than an fpsc legend any day!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 11:29:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 11:29:50