Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Adding TGC guys to the credits

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:26 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 01:27
Hey all,

The top-secret MISoft game Project Sewer Rat (that's a code name, in case you didn't know we code name everything... hard not to know since we always blab about it lol), made in FPSC but with somewhat major alterations done in DBP, is almost to a point where a WIP thread is worth posting (please save some saliva for that thread, it's coming in the not-so-distant future!). But for now, I have a question about the game's end credits:

Being that this is going to be our first commercial game made with FPSC, and that this game never would've been even remotely possible without it, I'd like to list TGC's credits in the game's credits... you know, like the credits on page four of the FPSC manual. Would that be okay? I didn't want to bug Lee or Rick with this, not with all the X10 stuff going on, so I figured I would ask here in the hopes that someone, probably a mod or someone who'd already asked, would know the answer.

If I add their name in the credits, I'm trying to figure out how to do it. Project Sewer Rat has a pretty large development team on its own, with what will eventually be a full 18-20 people working on the game in various capacities, from voice actors and testers to programmers and modelers. So should I give TGC their own "block" of credits, or should I just write them into the existing credits (this being if I should even add them or not). For instance, we'd have our own programmers to name, but then TGC has programmers as well. We have foley artists, and they have foley artists... so should I list everyone seperately, list the MISoft and TGC teams combined, or not list the TGC staff at all?

EDIT: PS, sorry Fred for ditching my old signature, I know you were slappy the Penguin's biggest fan, hehe.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:46
you could put TGC under the "special thanks" section

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger; but if something kills me, I'm not that strong am I?

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:49
I always do that, in the three games we've already released and in the four games we're releasing this year, we always thank TGC first, then the TGC community, and then everyone else is third .

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:58
its good you made this thread because i plan to do the same thing.

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger; but if something kills me, I'm not that strong am I?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont know for sure,but I think that stating the game was made using FPSC and the gamecreators website is enough.
If you start naming folks individually from TGC it looks like they have had a direct hand in the creation of your game,which in a way I suppose they have, but I cant say I have ever seen developers of any engines such as unreal being named in this way.
Would lead to a heck of a list in your credits and, as you say, confusion.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
The credits in FPSC...

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 02:46
Quote: "I dont know for sure,but I think that stating the game was made using FPSC and the gamecreators website is enough.
If you start naming folks individually from TGC it looks like they have had a direct hand in the creation of your game,which in a way I suppose they have, but I cant say I have ever seen developers of any engines such as unreal being named in this way.
Would lead to a heck of a list in your credits and, as you say, confusion."

That's really the only issue, making the credits too long. No one ever names the developers of an engine, and I always thought they deserved that much credit. At the same time, I don't want people to think Lee is the Lead Programmer on the MISoft end, because he isn't, and I don't want people to think MISoft had anything to do with FPSC being made, because we didn't... so it's a sort of confusing dilemma, offering them full credit without accidentally crediting someone the wrong way, hehe.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 04:20 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 04:26
TBH I think the guy's at TGC would be happy that you gave credit to them as a team,and put the www.thegamecreators.com addy.
Where anyone who's interested can get all the info they want,the name of the game for the guy's is to sell their software after all.
I dont think that naming folks would be particularly helpful to them as you create the game for players and not other developers.

I can see where your coming from and its a good way to think,but I feel they would tell you themselves its not necessary.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 06:42
I agree with rolfy.

Woah, Lee has a brother! Has he ever posted around here?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 13:01
Apparently, somewhere in the manual or FPSC site it states that all you really need to do is state that it was made by the First Person Shooter-Creator, and add the Site address.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 14:10
Quote: "Apparently, somewhere in the manual or FPSC site it states that all you really need to do is state that it was made by the First Person Shooter-Creator, and add the Site address."

Nah I don't think so. It's not a requirement anyway.

[center]
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 14:54
@Matt Rock,

First, thanks for posting and showing how real developers are secure and professional enough to give credit where due. I was growing tired of the "why do I have to put TGC in the credits" threads.

Personally, I like the idea of listing them individually, as long as you have defined the list and it's clear that they are the engine developers, space and time provided of course. People only look at the credits when they are looking for themselves or something in particular anyway. Most just escape it. LOL

Best.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 20:14
Yes. give credit where it*s due. a few names in your credits cost nothing and make people feel good.

[center]
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 21:40
Seriously, and these guys worked their butts off to make this engine. The way I see it, MISoft's credits are 18+ people long anyway, it's not going to hurt anyone to sit through 18+ more . For me, it's not a matter of what's required and what isn't required... I *want* to give these guys full credit, 150%, even though we've done more alterations to FPSC than most people ever would dream of doing. Anyone who tries to weasel out of giving TGC credit doesn't deserve to do well in this industry, in my opinion anyway. Probably came across as overly harsh but eh, that's me lol. Plus, it isn't really about making TGC more money, it's more about paying them homage for creating the dev tools that made ME a bunch of money, haha.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 00:40
In Geisha House I'm crediting any contributors, such as plugin authors. For plugin authors I'm simply crediting the person for coding that part of the engine, for example Paul Johnston's collision plugin. For Dark Basic I'm including them in a 'Special Thanks' section with a link to their website. I don't think that names are important, all that matters for TGC is if they get recognized as a company.

Come see the WIP!
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 00:54
I'm probably going to have a long list of credits for each of my games, because I will credit all the guys in the FPSC credits, as well as anyone on the forums who has helped me, either through C&C or downloadable media.

[url=http://gunn3rgames.zxq.net]
[/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 11:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 11:26:02