Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / PHOENIX: SlayeR, a multi-player deathmatch game I'm working on

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 20:50 Edited at: 26th Jan 2008 20:52
In my Story Help thread I talked about a game called Phoenix I was making, well to those who know about it and got exited, I have some news. I feel that Phoenix was going to be to long and challenging for me to do as my first game. It would take at 3 years min. to make. So I changed it, it's now called PHOENIX: SlayeR, and it will be a multi-player deathmatch game.
I hope to finish it by Q3-Q4 and have it for download (free.) at the games website which will be made once I have 3-4 arenas completed.

I appreciate those who got exited about Phoenix and who gave me positive feedback, I hope you do the same for this, and I promise this will not go under changes, this project is for sure.

To lavaman, I will still be using the segs you gave me, I sure as heck wont let the work you did go to waste. Because you've done a heck of a lot, and your models are fantastic.

To everyone: I would like ideas on how many arenas should be included, and how to make good deathmatch games and how it all works. So I would appreciate info and feedback.
And I hope to have it a team game, so that you can play on either the Human team or the Alien team.
So yeah, I'd like to know the keys to good multiplayer games. If you would like to tell me.
C+C of any kind welcome, even though this is close to no info about the game.

Thanks in advance.

PHOENIX: SlayeR, an up-coming game by Troy Chambers & DOOMED STUDIOS
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 21:58
This month's Game Informer has a great article called: The Art of FPS Multiplayer Design. It is about Call of Duty 4's Multiplayer and why it was so successful. While some of the tips were for Xbox 360 exclusively, there are some really helpful tips like:
- Don't create "safe zones" or places where the player can hide or feel a safety of some sort.

- Make the map designed for the weapons involved.

- Create maps based off of what game mode you want it in. (With Lemur, this is 3 different types. DM, TDM and CTF)

- Balance your weapons. Don't make it to where if one person has a certain weapon, he is unstoppable.

[url=http://gunn3rgames.zxq.net]
[/url]
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 23:07 Edited at: 26th Jan 2008 23:08
Thanks gunn3r.

The safety zone thing, don't think PHOENIX: SlayeR, (I'll call it P:S from now on) will have those.

There will be heal zones though, to regenerate health if a player is low on health.
And I'm planning on putting secret areas players can get to, not to hide though, they reveal secret weapons that are fairly powerful, but the player will still be stopable though. They also reveal telaporters or elevators that lead to a platform high above the rest of the map, that has rocket launchers or sniper rifles.

The maps, will vary between two types, modern and sci-fi, so I think those two should work well with eachother. If any of these sound like something I shouldn't do, tell me, cause I don't want to give players too much power if they find a secret area or secret weapon, but from what I can tell, if they do find them, they'll still be stopable.

Thanks.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 23:32
Cool. Once you get some levels ready, I'll be more than happy to beta test them for you. Just send me an email when you get the chance.

[/url]
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 23:52
Great...Thanks.

My first chance to start work will be Friday, I think I might be able to get 1 arena done over that weekend, or most of it anyway.

And again, how many arenas do you (and anyone else) think I should put into P:S

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 00:36
Quote: "- Don't create "safe zones" or places where the player can hide or feel a safety of some sort."

I disagree with this. A FPS game should have cover, but not "safe zones", i.e. a table on it's side.

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 00:51
Keo.C of course there will be places players can take cover.

But I think the "safe zones" gunn3r was talkin' 'bout is different from what things to take cover behind are. I think he was talking about hiding places where somebody can cower or avoid deaths, cover is just to avoid a couple shots, than jump from the cover and deliver a head shot.

Thanks for the comment

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 01:02 Edited at: 27th Jan 2008 01:07
Troy, you understood it perfectly. Of course there has to be places where there are cover, but you shouldn't be able to sit in a room for more than 20 seconds without any form of firefight.

@Troy. Since this will be a full on release for you, go ahead and make it about 7-10 multiplayer maps. That would be fun.

[/url]
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 01:17
@ gunn3r: Cool, I'll start with a minimum of 7, and if I can do more than 7 before the end of the year, which, I think I'll be able to do more, I will.

But out of curiousity, can I make a release with a certain # of arenas, and then have other/extra arenas that can be downloaded and added onto the game with FPSC. Cause that could be a good idea too.
Have a release of 7 and have others available, but I don't know if that's a possibility with FPSC.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 01:22
You could make a website where you can download the individual maps, and just keep adding on to it as you go. You could charge for the downloads, or charge for a pack of the maps, that way the player gets the maps that he/she wants.

[/url]
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 01:24
So it is possible to do add ons with FPSC???

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 01:40
Quote: "but you shouldn't be able to sit in a room for more than 20 seconds without any form of firefight."

Also, avoid spots were people can camp all day.

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 01:50 Edited at: 27th Jan 2008 01:50
Troy, When creating a multiplayer game, you can only make one map per .exe, so you would have to create 7 .exe's for this (minimum), one for each map. You could put them all together in a game launcher similar to Multimap which was released a long time ago... Or you could have the website where you download each one as I mentioned in my above post.

[/url]
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 03:01
OK, thanks. I don't know what multimap is but, thanks for the info.
I'll figure out what I'll do once I finished 7 maps, I'll decide whether or not to put it together or have them individually for download.

If you have a link to the Multimap thing, it would be appreciated.

Keo C: Yep I know, campers annoy me too so, I'm definantly doing something about that.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 03:09
@ gunn3r:

What's the cover story? Because I just got a new Game Informer, but I didn't see that (I don't think).

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 03:24
The cover story is Resistance 2. In that issue, the page is 20.

@Troy. It looks like Multimap wasn't the one I was thinking of. It's Core Map, and Prince of Darkness is making Core Map V2, according to his website. It looks like it was updated on the 18th, and they said they would have it done by Sunday. That was last week, so you might want to contact Prince of Darkness for info about it.

[/url]
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 07:39
Quote: "The cover story is Resistance 2. In that issue, the page is 20."

Come on! The one that I don't get!

For some reason, they didn't even ship that one to my house.

Thanks for the heads up though, I might go out and buy that one.

No offense, but Core Map isn't that great. Last time I checked, it required having each game in a separate folder, and had extremely limited customization. Maybe Core Map V2 would be better...

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 09:15
It was just what came to mind at the time.

Resistance 2 is supposed to have 8 player co-op, 60 player battles and 2 full campaigns. (According to the cover)

[/url]
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 19:35
Alright I'll contact PoD.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 01:21
Looks like I'm gonna be getting Core Map 2, I'll put them all together.

Keep coming with suggestions on making fun multiplayer/deathmatch
games.

PHOENIX: SlayeR, an up-coming multiplayer deathmatch game by Troy Chambers
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 01:49 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 01:51
You should be able to do way more than 7 by the end of 2008. I should know. I made and released two in the last 3 days. Make what would have been in the single player game, and convert to multiplayer. Also, if your stuck with not being able to come up with ideas, play other people's MP maps, and get inspiration from them. I played DarkFact's Complex II before making my offices level, and it turned out pretty good, IMO.

[/url]
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 02:33 Edited at: 30th Jan 2008 01:42
cool thanks,

yeah, I know I'll finish more than 7,
i was just sayin thats the minimum, dont know why
cause I know I can do more.

Keep it comin' with the suggestions and info and stuff.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 03:49
Personally, I'm disappointed that there is no single player game. but it's your game so go ahead. As for good MP tips, get Lemur, keep teh teams balanced and don't make any camping spots (dead ends and places with only one way in). Good luck,
*Slayer_2
P.S. TDM and CTF are my faves so do some of those please.

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 05:06 Edited at: 31st Jan 2008 05:07
Yeah, I know, I probably will do a single, but my plans for PHOENIX were too big, if I can figure out how to make it good and not have 25 levels, because that would take for ever, I'll try and make a single player. Probably do a 8-10 level game, I'm not sure, and then PHOENIX: SlayeR can be the multiplayer side game.

And what are TDM's and CTF's ??????

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 05:23 Edited at: 31st Jan 2008 05:28
Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag. Now-a-days, they are standard in nearly every FPS with multiplayer. If I have time, I could help out with the single player if you would like...
EDIT: I realized I didn't make it too clear that I will be really busy with TC and school and such, but if I do have some spare time, which is pretty likely, I can make this for you.

[/url]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 07:51
@Inspire, Nothing changed with the seperate folders, though it now actally works on all PC's I tested it on. The costumisation engine has been revamped alot, and I'm adding some more ideas as soon as they set me free from the hosital again...

@Troy Chambers, Nice idea.Not alot of people tried this before.

Core Map 2 is released, Free edition and Commercial Edition available at the following link
See Topic
Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 23:38 Edited at: 31st Jan 2008 23:39
As for amount of levels, we were thinking of going for MP only for EOT and decided on 10 levels. If you got lemur I would do this: 2 CTF levels, 3 TDM levels and 5 DM levels. BTW, a good tip, keep all team based levels symmetrical or at least as close to you can.
*Slayer_2 (The original)
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 00:08
@ gunn3r: Thanks, I might take you up on that offer, but I'm not entirely sure, when I'll need help, as far as level design, I think I'll be ok, adding story to the game, eh, dont know how to do, I have the story idea but I dont know how to put it in games.

@ Prince of Darkness: Thank you.

@ Slayer_2: OK, I dont really know how to do CTF in FPSC, I dont even know how to set it so the map is playable with teams, so if you (or anyone else) could tell me or something, it would be appreciated.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 00:55
You need lemur V2 to do teams

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 01:22
Oh, OK, thanks. I'll go check lemur out right now.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 01:41
sorry for this: *BUMP*

I start working on PHEONIX: SlayeR tonight!!!

It's very possible I'll have screens on Monday!!! Maybe sooner, maybe later.

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 03:30
sorry for the bump

I didn't have the time I thought I'd have that weekend, so, no progress yet.

Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 04:31
Nooo!

[img][/img]
Go to Elite OPS Terrorstike in the Showcase.
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 05:07
@ Slayer_2 - Hah, sorry.

I might get some prog this weekend though, no guarantees though, I actually need some help, if you guys have any ideas for maps I'd gladly listen, or, read them. I'm stumped.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 15:19:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 15:19:41