Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark Shader

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 10:21
A few users have reported problems using the Dark Shader library. A new version is attached for everyone to try out.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 11:37 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 11:39
Hi Mike,

Still no joy on Vista(32 bit) at the minute. The Bloom example crashes and the Blur example shows a message box saying Cannot load camera effect 'Blur.dbs'

Edit: Using VS2008 Pro

Projects Started: 20
Projects Completed: 0
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 23:37
Has anybody else tried this yet?

I am interested to see what happens on non-Vista machines.

Fornit some Fornus!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 10:43
Quote: "I am interested to see what happens on non-Vista machines."

Well, take into account that, if previous Dark Shader works fine for XP users, then I see few reasons (unfortunately), for XP users, to test this one...Unless they buy it now and get the new version directly.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 10:51 Edited at: 26th Feb 2008 10:52
Morcilla,

The people I know of, who have it working are running XP and using VS2005, I don't know of anybody who has it working with '08 which is the current target for the gdk.

Fornit some Fornus!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 17:24
Oh, I see. Looking for VS2008 running on XP then. I have not moved yet.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 19:16
Yeah, I thinks it's probably a Vista thing.

*Shakes fist at Vista logo*

Fornit some Fornus!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 16:42
Quote: "*Shakes fist at Vista logo*"
I second that

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 20:06
about to go out so havnt had time to test alot - but in windows XP with visual studio 2008 express darkshader is suddenly WORKING. rainbowshader, halo, etc - working xD SO GOOD!

thanks!

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 20:12
Mike, i -desperately- need a way to apply a cube map to a limb instead of an object. This should be a relatively simple thing for you acheive, is it possiable?

My whole world is built off the concept of limbs and without that command i cant use any of the shaders that require a reflection map :/ BIG trouble for my game.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 18:07
Mike,

Any news on an update to fix the problem with Vista and VS2008?

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 19:55 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 19:59
i'd like to add that shaders still arnt working properly in winXP with 2008 - sorry :/

ALOT more is working than it was! Which is great But after spending a frustrating 4 hours with my project I find so much that still isnt working.

No normal mapping or bump shaders are working for me. They either make the object disapear or cause an assertion failure. Mike: the CRT is during a MEMCPY and its trying to copy a string containing "indices".

Texture stages still arnt working properly either. I've tripple checked. The FVF is correct (dbConvertObjectFVF(nWorldObjectID, FVF_XYZ | FVF_NORMAL | FVF_TEX3) and texturing stage 0 is fine. Texture stage 1 after that though and the whole object takes on the diffuse colour relavent to what you just tried to texture (like, i tried to apply an ice texture to stage 1 and the whole cube turned blue) - possiably suggesting the U/V's arnt right for stage 1 but...

if you expose the blend function (void SetBlendMap ( int iID, int iStage, int iImage, int iTexCoordMode, int iMode ) and set blend maps for stage 1 and 2 they appear perfect and correct and the blend map is u/ved properly.

Only reason i bring up the texture stage thing is i'm wondering if bump mapping etc trouble is PARTLY caused by texture stages SEEMINGLY being bjorked when these shaders rely on texture data from multiple stages.

Hope you get this fixed mike, its really important to get shaders working well in this thing, especially with darkshader :/

EDIT:

Mike: it would really help us to help you debug this stuff and provide you with better information if you would knock us up a char *GetLastShaderError(); and just throw some quick lines into the library to set a string with the last error a shader related command thew. like couldnt load file, couldnt parse file, couldnt execute effect, tried to apply to nonexistant object, tried to use nonexistant image.. etc. Should make your work alot easier if you could do that!

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 18:02 Edited at: 16th Mar 2008 18:18
Sorry to revive the thread cadaver guys!

Mike,

Any chance of a progress update on the the VS2008 - Vista front. Because I'm still unable to use DarkShader. DGDK is targeted at VS2008 so DarkShader not working with this and Vista is a bit annoying. I understand things are busy and I'm sure you are doing your best but, I would really appreciate it if you could just let us know what is happening.

Edit: I model my maps based on cubes and other shapes with the normals inverted to cut down on un-seen polygons, as opposed to CSG style maps made with solid blocks etc.. So, when I apply a shader to an object that has it's normals inverted the shaders don't seem to work. I understand this would be the case with some shaders that use an object depth to calculate distortion etc.. But, for shaders such as rainbow and heat haze the shader doesn't work. Any ideas on this? I have attached a cube model with the normals inverted so if anybody would like to test it they can.

Cheers Guys
*Edit* And again

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:15:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:15:25