Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / OOP w/ DarkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was about to reinvent the wheel until I saw this thread. Sounds exciting Jason I tried DLing the zips from your project page, but the archives all generate an error when I try to unpack them - is there another place to grab them from?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 05:14 Edited at: 1st Feb 2009 04:52
There is another DL area for people that are having trouble - um... there wasn't but... I hate hearing about Download nightmares.

So, I placed the latest DarkGDK OOP stuff I released in my ftp server, but I warn you, the bandwidth is worse - I recommend Filezilla - great ftp client!

[editted out the link because it died. If the Google site http://code.google.com/p/darkgdkoop/ doesn't work for YOU, whomever you are, email me and I'll see to get things set so you can download directly. Note 2009-01-31 version 3.0 which is not open source was made available for purchase for $29.99 with tons of improvements and new classes and things. If interested: http://www.jegas.com

hope this helps the unzip issues Cyber Knight! Good Luck - please report back

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2008 03:54 Edited at: 4th May 2008 07:58

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 22:39
Sorry if im a bit late, but I've only just learned OOP after reading a book on it and i thought I'd dl your thing jason. Well i did, and I followed the readme, adn configured the file jsut to use Sparky and none of the others, and I ran it and it gave me this:
Quote: "LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'DarkPhysics.lib'"

Surely if I left the USE_DARKPHYSICS commented it shouldn't need to find the lib?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 00:53
Surely you are correct! ALMOST THERE MAN!

right click on "gameclasses".. select properties. Navigate to Linker->Input->Additional Dependancies...

REMOVE the File and path to DarkPhysics.lib" from that line and report back!

Note...

In the Game classes folder, in the "MainSource" folder I think its called.. Right Click and select EXCLUDE WHENEVER YOU Want, then right click that same folder and select Add Existing... therer are a bunch of files beginning with test_ ???? *.cpp There are the test apps... pick one... compile, run, rinse and repeat as desired!

Have Fun!!!! and write back if you get stuck!

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 09:17
Ok it works. very cool.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 09:20
sorry for double post, i have no edit option. bitmap fonts dont work, they screw up and bits of letters are everywhere. sorry if this has been posted already
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 11:12
To learn C++ im using both www.cplusplus.com AND jasons OOP wrapper. For ofcourse Im trying to make my own

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 15:02
Glad its working for you. What do you have for a video card? I've seen that same "issue" on one other machine... and its something driver related I think.

I'm just using the GDK load image, and then make memblock from image... it looks WHACK .. like alien characters on the machine I've seen it on... and frankly... its a pretty sorry machine.

Please report what you have for a video card as this is troubling if its a decent card. Is it ATI? NVidea? A Non Name? You on XP right? (I've seen this on an Old XP box)

I'm glad you are using that code guys! That's great!

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 15:31
LOl thats probably the problem. its an old dell machine with built in intel graphics. It really isn't ideal for game programming, so I'm getting a new rig soon.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 21:03
funny.. the one I have trouble with is an intel motherboard with an intel built in graphics card. Furthermore the dxdiag utility reports all is well.. EXCEPT AGP Hardware Texturing.. I wonder if that's the "piece" we're missing and is why EVERYTHING works... except those particular image commands I'm using.

I have an alternate function for same purpose that pastes to bitmap screen and "graps" the letter.. which looks a little better ..but still is inversed (Clear text on white blocks) and they aren't lined up right 100%.. so...

Its just these intel graphics cards aren't the best I suppose. Though everything else seem to work.. but I also get a few exception errors closing my home made GUI windows for example... yet on my other machine running an nvidea gfx card - no problems.

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 21:33
dxdiag tells me im all fine, but that AGP texture accelleration isn't available. I doubt id use the bitmap fonts much though, so it shouldnt be a problem. i can always make a bitmap which is the text, and laod that
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 22:27
true.. but I still have an unexplainable crash removing a GUI window I homebrewed from memblock, image, and sprites.... no reason.. just GPF's (exception error) but only on that gfx card... troubles me (About the intel gfx card anyways)

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 09:28
I can try the program for you to see if it happens on mine if you like. just point me to the file
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 14:19
thanx - to much trouble to package up right now though. Thank You for the offer

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2008 04:17
Hey, I haven't had to much time but I managed to create a class for loading and sorting directories (by modify date, creation date, or filename.) I plan to add thumbnail database functionality like windows, Gnome, KDE, and xfce GUI all have. I figure, if I was forced to write a gui because I needed full screen functionality, I ought shoot for things we are used to - especially seeing how the gui will be used in my editor. Need to be able to select files by name and when appropriate, by a thumb nail preview! I haven't got it all worked out yet.. but I will.

Tonight, I took the bitmaptext system I put together and made it into a "GUI CONTROL"... I've uploaded a screen shot... take a look! It's basically going to be used in the same role as a common LABEL however it doesn't have word wrap.. but it looks cool... take a look at the attached screen shot!

Attachments

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 00:09
I have a new screenie for the GUI - the TextBox control has really come along.....

Still so much to do...

Attachments

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 15:21
ANDREWT ... Calling AndrewT... Email Jason P Sage Man!... Important! Click My Email Button under this message from a browser!

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 17:38
Calling AndrewT - Email AndrewT ASAP..... Email address in the email icon under my posts in the TGC forum (Important)

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 05:12 Edited at: 15th May 2008 05:48
Ok - I have GOOD NEWS and I have Not so Good NEWS!!!!

The good news is that the GUI is now Available:
http://code.google.com/p/darkgdkoop/

The not so good news is that on SOME video cards, the bitmap fonts look whack, but on others, no problem! I need generous people to try things for themselves, see how things go, and report back so I can make any final adjustments.

Are you game? Thanx in advance to all who are.

(Posting this in two places only - the two threads where this is discussed a bit.. this lib and this gui)

[edit] Flaw One: jgc_configuration.h has file references in it that begin with: "../../media/ etc
need to be changed to "../media/ etc etc
This can cause exceptions but the log files that use these gui gfx should report so. You'll notice each project has its own !logfile.txt
[/edit]

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 06:39
Fixed it - tomorrow this DarkGDK OOP Lib will be Banging! Nevermind folks! Got it! Mipmap thingy! (Thanks David W!)

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 06:51
Any details? You know. Just in case I ever want to do 3D?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 07:19
For You? SURE! The Mip Map Flag! Needed to NOT LOAD MIP MAPS for bitmap fonts.. hosed it!

dbLoadImage(filename,id,1); <---means NO MIPMAPS

dbLoadImage(filename,id,0); <---means load mipmaps
dbLoadImage(filename,id); <---means load mipmaps

So everything look gorgeous now, now bugs I know of now really... re packing the DarkGDK OOP.. and its going up tonight!

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 07:27
@Jason P Sage I still dont even know what OOP is. I'm so lost half the time. When I see your stuff, its just so far over my head I can hardly understand half whats going on. Maybe I just need to learn more. Guess I just have to keep making Cubes and Spheres. Maybe next time I can pick one up. Hmmmmm that would be neat.

Anyways, I have to admit that this is the best GUI thingy I have seen to date. On these forums and Open-source to boot. Now that rocks.

Anyways, again, its really late here and im kinda rambling on, but I really do think that this stuff looks great.

Good luck bro.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 08:40 Edited at: 15th May 2008 08:41
@David W - Thank you David W very much!

It's out there now, GUI, Source, whole OOP lib revised, and you know what? I never filled in the read for the GUI demo... LOL...

Here's a recent mosaic of screens:

Attachments

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 21:59
Kira Reported a bug, that didn't show on my computer... man that's 2 so far! My Machine just hides things from me I should know! LOL..

Well the latest issue was when closing a gui window an exception error would occur in the dbSync() call. This has been resolved. There is anew "bundle" as well as the two patched source files in case you were one of the first 17 people to grab the one published yesterday.

Thankx everyone! (I get more feed back than lands on this page) and all the comments and tests you guys have run has helped alot! Much Appreciated!

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2008 22:13
Congratulations Jason .. you got it finished. I'll be downloading later. Well done bro, you've really done a brilliant job on this

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 01:29 Edited at: 18th May 2008 01:39
@Pixel - Thanx! Saw your congrads in the Program Announcement! Thank you Very Much!

If you downloaded before - Please grab Version 1.0 - (I hate DL'ing too but) It has some new demos added to serve as how to etc. more explainations[edit]And a GUI code change[/edit]:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=129759&b=5&p=0#m1499572

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 01:54
@Pixel Perfect - Thank you!

@All - I've been working hard on this and finally just released Version 1.0. I'm starting a New thread because I think this project has taken on a life of its own and I want to have a thread where people can talk about it and ask questions, whatever like sparky's program announcements.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen or heard from AndrewT lately either, and he was a fellow OOP promoter! Well, I hope he is doing well!

Anyways... http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=129759&b=5

Elspin
Years of Service
User Offline
Not a single one of the demo projects will work for me, they just crash right during the windows attempt to resize larger...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 14:19
Hi Elspin,

I've moved the discussion for this to http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=129759&b=5

Do you have version 1.0? Follow that link to be sure. From where you say it's blowing up, I think it might be the default screen size which is adjustable...

To make a global change to the default screen mode, size and depth... open jgc_daddy.cpp and start looking at line 54. You should see a section of code like this:

See if chagning these values helps... but you might need to debug where its stopping on your machine. I have seen ONE VISTA machine choke on a memblock command that worked fine on XP and other vista machines.

Report back, and I'll try to get you through this. I assure you the code is good - something specific to your pc is probably not liking it for some reason or another.

Don't give up - Hang in there I'll try to get this thing going for you!

Best Regards,
Jason

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:15:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:15:53