Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Custom Shader Tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all, I just grabbed Visual C++ 2008 Express and the Dark GDK. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good tutorial where I can code my own shaders without having to pay for Dark Shader.

Thanks!
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 18:32
Firos12
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet! thanks!
Firos12
Years of Service
User Offline
This seems to be for C# but I'm sure it's not much different.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 18:58
its for HLSL, the shader language that darkSDK uses. its neither c/c++ or c#. You write HLSL code in the .fx files that you need to load in darkgdk. Its similar syntax to c/c# however.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 05:15
Shaders are like Microsoft. Just when you think think you understand how things are done - they rewrite the script entirely!

Shaders are whole new world...Frontier? Maybe... Cool? Yeah... Soon to be the Only way to get graphic card to say "Hi Mom?" .. Probably.

Its a good idea you try to hunker down and learn them a bit - AT least what they are, how it relates to modern graphics hardware, and how to pass data to them to control them.

I have AGP still - so they really bog down my video card so I've been kinda avoiding them - but dx10 and pciExpress cards are all going that direction as far as I can tell... so might as well learn them.

The good news is that newer cards are supposedly MUCH faster at processing them so writing intense shaders now seema like a MUCH BETTER idea than it used to.

Note: They don't cooperate with the DarkGDK/DBPro Fixed Pipeline as its called. Example: DBPro FOG and a Sky Shader won't mix right. However the Fixed Pipeline is supposed to be old news... but as far as I'm concerned - I home DarkGDK and DBPro still support it somehow even in the DX10 versions!

Good Luck!

James the Apostate
Years of Service
User Offline
Just browsing the forums, and noticed this one. If your tastes don't run in the direction of HLSL coding, the NVidia FX Composer util comes with Mental Mill Artists Edition. Btw the two, you can create some awesome HLSL .fx shaders without ever writing a line of code. Hope this helps.

Jim
Firos12
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure it will, I have had the Nvidia tool since I posted this, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it, for bloom lighting GDK calls for a CameraEffect.
Firos12
Years of Service
User Offline
I now have a problem, I just tried applying a Shader effect, but my Object Disappears, is something broken?
Firos12
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres my code, can anyone tell me why my object isn't appearing?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:31:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:31:21