Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Space Shooter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First game creation using C++ visual 2008 and DarkGDK, i've used Div games studio for a while and have mainly done scrolling shmups but im very interested in doing a nice DX9 xwing and tie fighter game. Just interested in what models are usable and if anyone has any sample physics engines for space.

Thanks
Zen

"Face it, if crime didnt pay there would be very few criminals."
Laughton Lewis Burdock
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 19:04
hello old divver

The most common format to use here is generally .x files - most editors can export them these days, its the directx format. dbo files are also used quite often, thats DarkBasic Object (dbo). Not sure what exports that though!

For phsyics you'll probably be coding your own. Theres things like newton which are fiddly to get going and i dont know how well they handle "space". Myself i would just start writing routines for things like thrust and turning - for space sims its not too hard.

I dont know if you've coded in anything except for DIV, but beware as you will be used to processes. The processess we know and love run in parallel - this is not the case for the function-style system you will be using in c++ which run one after the other rather than all together.

Anyway, nice to see some more old div users turn up Good luck!

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 21:23
DarkPhysics - Gravity set to all ZERO's - is like space to me.

Also, they call "Force Field" which to me reminds me of GRAVITY like a planet has and things might get attracted to like a magnet.

DarkPhysics has collision stuff and raycasting - butSparky's DLL is free (and as easy..maybe easier) to use IMHO for collision and raycasting.

There was a DarkGDK WIP release - and guess what - it has XWing Fighters! Look for it! Good Luck...and most important ...Have Fun!

Zen Master
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sephnroth : No parallel processes, what?!?!?.....oh man but thats ridiculous how can you hope to micromanage each object without been able to write say your ship's process then just loop it off and begin writing your enemies?!?! (I miss Div its like stabbing a puppy leaving it behind but i need DX9 and its pretty shaders)

@jason p sage : Thanks looking forward to making it hoping its good not gonna stray from the gameplay im gonna stick with some old school dogfighting as it should be but with all this new spangly shaders.

Laughton Lewis Burdock
Zen Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok i used a test code

Just need to know which area can i set my global variables and a bit of advice; i want to set a global variable of thruster this will be a speed that is less than 100 but greater than 20 at all times and it can be manipulated by q increasing this and a decreasing this remaining capped at 20 to 100. This will then be the speed of the camera moving and the mouse will control direction as opposed to

Please any help greatly appreciated

Laughton Lewis Burdock
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 09:28
outside Loopgdk:

inside loopgdk:

this probably won't work very well, I havnt tried it yet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:17:31