Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DBPro Community Game Project V1.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 16:48 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 16:49
The one issue I found with Dabbler's code was that it was running about 5 FPS on my computer. Some rems tracked the problem to the Show_Message_Box function, so I added some stuff into the RunGui function so Show_Message_Box is only called when necessary.

Now running at 64 FPS. Yay!

Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 19:05
Thank you for your kind comments.

I would like to point out a bug in the Show_Message_Box function. It magnifies the screen area behind the message box.
so:

@bmaczero
I tried your code. While it gives the program quite a speed boost, it hides any animations behind the message box. I hope someone will come up with a faster Grayscale_area function. Mine is a framerate hog.

Whatever...
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 19:23
the idea of the grayscale is not a game stopper, we could simply use the dialog01.png as is.. I have it semi transparent on the alpha channel.

It was just one of those off the top of my head ideas. I know some programmers like messing with those kind of effects.

Cheers!

P.S. I fooled around with having the cam move based on mouse position.. all it did was reassure me the game was indeed 3d LoL

Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 22:43 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 22:44
Quote: "we could simply use the dialog01.png as is"

This may be crazy, considering you're a very good graphics artist, but I think that I could make a better GUI window. I made this one for another project I have. I based it off the color scheme of Microsoft Office '07.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 22:55 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2008 22:55
Ohh, I also have the perfect button texture to go with it.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2008 23:43
Nice, and there is no rule saying I am the only artist on this project,.. the more contributors the better.

Plug them in, see how they look. that's the best test

Cheers!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 01:55
@Dabbler: Ah, I didn't notice that the animation wouldn't work. However, it isn't your grayscale function that is slowing the program down, I got rid of that and the program still only ran at about 8 FPS. I'm not sure what is actually causing the problem.

Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 02:44
@bmaczero

I think, for now, we can do as Dave suggests.

Quote: "the idea of the grayscale is not a game stopper, we could simply use the dialog01.png as is.. I have it semi transparent on the alpha channel.
"

Then use your speed up code.

Whatever...
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 03:28
Hey. I'm still learning at programing, but I'll probably learn alot from this. However, maybe I could come up with some music.

I just bought FL Studio: Fruity Loops Edition...I'm trying to get used to the interface however. I'm a Senior in a High School Marching Band/Concert Band and I am used to reading notes on a Staff in Bass and Treble Cleff...But I think I can adapt quickly...

So what kind of music are you looking for...Is it kind of techno-ish? Or are you going with more of a warped/distorted/relaxed or intense feel...Like that OLD, but one of my favorites, Nintendo 64 game "WETRIX" for those who have played it. I can already feel some music for this game just by staring at the "EYECANDY" in the very first post for a while!

So just let me know and I'll give it a WHIRL
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 08:04
I normally like some trancy/technish songs in my puzzle games. Ofcourse, no lyrics. But, you can do whatever you like. I'm pretty busy on another project I have and the logic is pretty much done but if you need me for anything else just say so. I could help with the GUI if you want.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 13:55
Any music with a beat would be good,.. also, if it can be done in segments that can be looped or strung side by side seamlessly that would be great.. kind of like loop main,.. insert up-tempo version,.. back to main.. insert slow tempo,.. back to main.. Where the tempo can be changed based on player activity/inactivity. or on how close he is to the target 'finish' square.

We will also need some sound effects. if anyone wants to give that a try. Player hovering, player moving, player gets special, player falls, player makes it to finish.. etc.

Cheers!

P.S. I'm still in the process of moving/packing/unpacking so my time on the net is limited.

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 02:51 Edited at: 10th Apr 2008 02:58
@ Dr. Schnitzengruber: Yeah: I agree about that type of music for this type of game, it's just this is David's thread pretty much and I wanted to know what he...and you and others,would like to have. Mostly David because, again, it's his thread...

@David Gervais: Isn't there a way to speed up, slow down, cange overall pitch directly in DBPRO/Dark GDK with it's built-in commands???

I know that's possible with sound such as set sound speed and I THINK there's a command to change pitch. I'll look in to it and try it out. This way you can have an almost infinite number of ranges for these settings. If this doesn't work, I'll put it into different sections, especialy if you want smooth transision between songs for different gameplay, like from "Main Loop" to "Winner" or "Time Up" or "Game Over" kind of loop. Problem with that is I'm not THAT experienced in composition, I just know how to play instruments, specificly low-brass and SOME mid/high brass...

Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with.

Later,

Mickey III

Edit: It IS possible to set the speed of both music AND sound, but you can only do it to certain music files...such as .midi or .wav, MP3 isn't supposed to be able to do this. I can still save as a Midi OR a .wav format just as easily. And, stupid me, why would ANYONE want to change pitch In-Game? Besides that, it's not posible in DBPRO. Don't know where I got that idea from...
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 03:12
I said the tempo, not the pitch. They are 2 different things. Tempo is like having a steady beat every second, increase tempo from full notes to half notes,.. half notes to quarter notes. The effect is you get a faster beat (aka tempo). I'm not a music major or even play any instrument but I do know pitch and tempo are two completely different things.

Just had to clear that up.

Cheers!

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 04:00
Yes. I've ALWAYS known the difference between tempo and pitch...

I just had a, please excuse the term, "Brain-Fart", as my mom says...A LOT!!! But it wasn't that I understood what it was, I just thought for some DUMB reason that you also said PITCH, even though you didn't...

I'm not a music major either. Like I said in my FIRST post, I'm a Senior in High School and I know SOME about music and VERY LITTLE about Music Composition, much LESS about music theory...I wish my high school would offer such courses

I've also started fiddling around with FL Studio some more, and I can produce the music from beginning to end in my head, but can't seem to get it even on regular staff paper. Like I said, I probably need a Music Theory/Jazz Band course, hopefully by the time I get to colledge. The colledges I'm thinking about going to are with In my state of Louisiana where the only GOOD 2 things are Music...AND THE FOOD!!!!!!!! I might go somewhere close like starting at BRCC and then transfer to LSU when I get a higher GPA...well I won't go any further on this subject, don't know why I even got on it...

"See ya...Wouldn't want to be ya"!

Mickey III
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 05:51
Schnitz's lesson on trance and techno:

Trance music is normally divided into 2 melodies that can be played together without it sounding awkward. A short drum(or just about any other melodiless sound) break is used to separate them. One melody is normally slow or calming while the other is faster and aggressive. Songs can start with either one. Sometimes a song can start with a paino version of this melody normally half times of the next part. The next part is the same melody played a power of two times(2, 4, 8, ect.). a drum break ends the melody and starts the other, which is played the same amount of times. Then both melodies start playing together(or the other one fades) several times, each time adding a element such a snare roll or kick. The song can repeat the cycle(not in the same order) or end now. At the ending of the song, there is normally a final note or drum sequence played but this can be omitted. Percussion plays a lot into trance. Percussion is normally the only thing that changes while the melody is looping. A common bass is played on all the parts except the drum breaks. A paino version of the first melody is normally a good way to end off a song. Look at these songs which follow almost everything I said:

Weight of the world

Clunk <- made by Lucifer on these forums.

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 22:42
Thanks Dr. Schnitzengruber. It's just that my version of FL Studio is Fruity Loops Edition, which doesn't seem to have much on it in the way of piano, much less trumpets, euphoniums, flutes, clarinets, etc...Yet this cost me $99.99 to download, and it seems like such a waste...Unless there's more to it I don't know how to get to. I guess I'll look around for some tutorials on how to do things on there like a Slur, or a Glissando...I think that's how it's spelled. Also, there's no way to do a crescendo or a decrescendo with it! Again, if there is, I'll have to look for it.

But I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Mickey III
MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 23:03
Arrrgggghhhh! My dad's router is SO SCREWED UP!!!!!!! I can't download anything over 1MB even though I have broadband because if I go over, it's going to take hours!!! I used to be able to download up to 100MB in just TEN MINUITES....I REALLY need my dad to either fix or replace the router, and soon!!! Either way it's going to cost the same amount, but he's prokrastinating in getting something done about it, and HE'S the ONLY one in our house who can't tell on HIS computer, because he's hooked DIRECTLY to the router. But we do know that it is the router, and it seems to ONLY be the Wireless portion of the router, because when he resets it, everything is OK for a few minuits, then it just goes right back down to the usual it's been doing, which, on both mine and my mom's computer, is donwloading at 26.8 KB/s. THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyway, I can't really help with the music bacause it would take hours to upload it. I guess I'll just sit here and play a bunch of single player games for a while.

Oh well,

Mickey III
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 23:50
26.8kb/s? That's pretty good. Try England. 5 if you're lucky, and if it doesn't cut out.

I fail at life. No, really.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 05:43
@Artists (Mostly David )

Think you could put together some kind of a title for the menu? You know, the words "Changing Pathways" in a cool font? I'm starting to put together a menu now that we have a (mostly) working game engine.

Los Mineros are on leave...
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 06:10 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 06:12

Kinda a alieny look.

[EDIT] Nope, this is bad, just use Davids.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 13:37 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 13:44
Here is a temp Title graphic. very much a WIP

Cheers!

P.S. @ Scraggle a nice font with a retro feel would be good. Something that could be used in game menus and the title graphic. I'm thinking rounded edges more than straight cut.

MickeyIII
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 17:24 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 17:30
[b]Edit: Sorry Nex, I thought that David made that comment about my transfer rate. Yeah...I normally get 500 to 1200 KB/s here with broadband. Sorry I didn't answer the right person.

Sorry,

Mickey III
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 22:33
Title design take 2.. I think it's a bit better, what do you all think?

Cheers!

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 23:26
That's brilliant!

I fail at life. No, really.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2008 23:47 Edited at: 12th Apr 2008 00:47
My mail back isn't working...but I looked here, so it's good. I love that second one, David!

Edit: Say, does anyone know what causes those patches of black to appear on the grid object below the blocks?

Los Mineros are on leave...
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 02:42
The black patches are part of the cloud layer, I think the transparency is not set. (even though it's a .png with alpha channel) might be the way it is being mapped.

and that's all I know, or think I know about that, ok?

Cheers!

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
this seems very neat, i hope it works out. i'll see if i can get the code to work when i get home.

Buy some new FPSCreator Ready Characters at:
http://www.freewebs.com/fpscharacters/
Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 17:15 Edited at: 11th May 2008 19:24
Where'd everybody go?

I have been playing some more. I read the state machine tuts and restructred the program (thanks Steve).

Added:
menu - Options is on the menu, but not active yet.
add Daves menu graphic to the media folder
name it TempTitle2.png
menu music - from my DarkBasicPro CD.
sounds - from my DarkBasicPro CD.

score - not all there yet.
cloud animation - uses Daves cloud image - gets modified on creation.
iso camera - above level 3.
move camera - above level 6. Use numpad to control camera.
compass - available with moveable camera. Media attached - unpack the bitmaps to your projects media folder.

Have fun.

Whatever...

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2008 14:22
RL Sucked up all my free time.. but I'm glad someone did some more work on this.. now I'll have to dig up my DBPro CD and find those sound and music files.

RL still has it's hooks in me, but if there are any specific graphic needs make a post,.. I'll squeeze some time to make the needed graphics.

Cheers!

Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 05:46
@David Gervais:
I understand the RL thing, it walks all over me too.

I am thinking that no other response means all is good?

Whatever...
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 05:37
Well I would help, but way to busy. Sorry, although, I'm really looking forward to playing this once you finish it. All the best,

Beastegargoyle

Streets of Rage the best 3d beat em up ever check out the wip on apollo forums!
The Last Great Swordsmen Wip here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124414&b=19
Garzu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 14:41
how is this project coming on ?

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 19:03
I think it died.. RL invaded my time, I think the same happened to other's involved.

Oh well,.. on the positive side my portfolio of unfinished projects is growing. LoL

One day, I'll win the lotto, find a wife, get everything on my 2do list done and be ready for retirement.. Who am I kidding,.. my 2do list is perpetual LOL.

Cheers!

Dabbler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 05:15
It ain't a done deal yet, Dave.

Last week I smoothed out the cloud animation with a timer(might have to do the same to the player object). I have been doing some thinking about power-ups(and hazzards), but I can only work on this as RL permits.

I might also have to give some thought to easy levels(as opposed to totaly random levels). Totaly random levels make for a lot of no win situations.

Still, it's kinda fun without the frills.

Whatever...
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 00:19
Dang it, I wrote a really long post and my browser did something to it and it didn't post. I don't feel like writing it again, so basically:

Code Red Music has made some excellent, free music for this game, I've attached it.

What's RL?

Los Mineros are back in progress!

Attachments

Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Real Life

System
MacBook Pro
Windows XP Home on Boot Camp
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 18:11
Ah, thanks. I was going to say that it wasn't taking up much of my time, good thing I didn't

Los Mineros are back in progress!
hookkshot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 22:28
so pretty much wat still needs doing i wanna be able to help out with something i can do basic 3d objects if any of that needs doing or small parts of programming

www.splitsecondgames.com
Ravey
Retired TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 18:42
wohooo bring this project back!

Regards,
Dave Milton
ravey@thegamecreators.com
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 21:31 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2008 21:32
I would possibly continue on myself if I understood the rules.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:41:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:41:12