Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / My review on FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 00:31
Quote: "People did not like me bashing halo 3."
Halo 3 is good for two things, increasing my dislike of sequels and t-bagging Besides that, every other shooter owns it.

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 00:52 Edited at: 29th May 2008 00:53
Quote: "Saying FPSC as an engine scores 3/10 is ridiculous. Would you say that Beyond Life or Eldora were 3/10 games, I wouldn't. "

It is not ridiculous at all. Those games aren't good. They are good FOR FPSC. They are not fun and enjoyable games that people will go out and buy. They are games made with FPSC that aren't any where near as good as games today.

There is a MAJOR difference between good and good for FPSC.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 01:21 Edited at: 29th May 2008 01:21
@Jenkins:

Graphically, I agree. HOWEVER, if a game is given fantastic gameplay and story, people will buy it nonetheless. Beyond Life had a nice little story behind it. Eldora seems more of a....project designed to raise the bar on what games should be expected of FPSC.

I don't have a doubt in my mind that that bar is going to be pushed even higher once V2 is finalized and released.

BTW, That Sourbratwursten or whatever it is looks really cool. The editting style seems to have a lot of flexibility and power. While wtaching a video on how the editor functions a thought occurred to me. The textures on each "tile"... can they have overlapping, alphablended textures? To create like a simple transitional effect from grass to cobblestone or the like?

The one and only,

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2008 21:11
Quote: "Graphically, I agree. HOWEVER, if a game is given fantastic gameplay and story, people will buy it nonetheless. Beyond Life had a nice little story behind it. Eldora seems more of a....project designed to raise the bar on what games should be expected of FPSC."

I very much agree. But with FPSC, the enemy are so stupid even with all the new DarkAi and other fancy scripts, it's fairly difficult to make the game play fantastic.

Quote: "I don't have a doubt in my mind that that bar is going to be pushed even higher once V2 is finalized and released."

I at least hope so.

Quote: "Sourbratwursten"

Lol, close. Sauerbraten. It's a pretty fun engine but I had no idea what I was doing. Do they have a manual for that engine?

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 00:39
Quote: "But with FPSC, the enemy are so stupid even with all the new DarkAi and other fancy scripts, it's fairly difficult to make the game play fantastic."

It is possible to achieve perfect AI behaviour in FPSC, I've done it. Its just not easy to ensure its consistently good everytime you play the level. This can only be achieved with lots of testing. Don't expect to drop a couple of enemies in a map and have them just going ahead and doing the right thing all the time. Restrict the circumstances to which you encounter them reducing risk of unwanted glitches etc.

Quote: "I at least hope so."

Quite. FPSC has come a long way but it's taken a long time to get there and we are still missing some crucial features e.g. terrain support etc. My policy from now on is to hope for the best but have a backup plan, namely Sauerbraten

Quote: "Lol, close. Sauerbraten. It's a pretty fun engine but I had no idea what I was doing. Do they have a manual for that engine?"

Download Sauerbraten assassin edition from the website and install. Tutorial files are included in the installation.

I installed and started using it last night. Don't have any worries over the coding side of things, I was happily buiilding and texturing away within 10 minutes of installation.

If you want features like decent bump, specular and parallax mapping, dynamic shadows, water, terrain, animated grass and great performance for both indoor and outdoor areas right now. You need to give it a try.

If FPSC v2 is to be the pinnacle for X9 then I'd rather TGC dropped support for it now and focused on making FPSC X10 everything it is capable of being. Your better off learning to use Sauerbraten now than waiting for FPSC v2.

That way you'll have a really cool fully featured engine to use now for free and by the time you've become good with it 'hopefully' FPSC will have been updated sufficiently well that you can justify going back.

It may be a case of too little too late as far as FPSC X9 is concerned. TGC should have either gone all out on X9 and not bothered with X10 or dropped X9 altogether. I'm not saying thats an easy choice to make but at present we just have 2 good game engines instead of 1 great one.
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 00:41
Quote: "I very much agree. But with FPSC, the enemy are so stupid even with all the new DarkAi and other fancy scripts, it's fairly difficult to make the game play fantastic. "

without going to much off topic, some of bonds new characters are pretty good, there are enemies in new fps games (soldier of fortune payback) that arnt half as good as some of bonds work. So the AI isn't all bad in FPSC, just the stock scripts, need a bit of a re think. If a cover system was installed it would be great but i can't really see that happening.

HMMMMMMM
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 01:37 Edited at: 30th May 2008 01:42
Quote: "So the AI isn't all bad in FPSC, just the stock scripts, need a bit of a re think. "

It seems to me that there is a lot of power that has been unleashed in FPSC v109 that hasn't been tapped yet.
I think the local variables can help make the character AI seem like you are using a new engine.
I have never offered the community a 'people script', but maybe I should now that we have variables.
It will have to wait until after my new game's release, but I'll conjure an 'enemy AI' soon.

Quote: "some of bonds new characters are pretty good"

Yeah, Bonds new Ice-Wizard makes use of the PLRFREEZE in v109, so it's real cool!

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Did you edit that conjured, from "its hot" to "its real cool"? I coulda sworn...

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 01:43 Edited at: 30th May 2008 01:45
Yes I did.

Saying the 'ICE' Wizard using 'PLRFREEZE' was hot sounded ironical after I read it.
Saying it was Cool sounded more appropriate.

Either way that Wizard is superificfantabulous.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

TeamASP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 10:12
FPSC is good, enough to get your little feet dirty for a long time as an intro to the multi-billion-dollar industry.

The PROBLEM now is the user, not the program. The developer tends to lose grip of concepts. (Reminds me of my friend having BSoD rather than the PC having BSoD.) LOL

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 23:14
Quote: "no-vehicle weak FPS"

so? COD4 has no vehicles and look how good it is.
about the weak part it's sometimes and sometimes not. First person shooters aren't the limit here because I do believe Flatlander is making a first peron RPG called something Factor.

Otherwise your review is pretty head on cosidering you switched from 1-5 to 1-10 scale in two sentences. I would have graded it a 6 or 7 out of 10, not three.

I know not what WWIII will be fought but I do know that WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 23:38
IGN user readers rated FPSC a 7.4/10. Seems pretty fair if you ask me.

Lionsword
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "IGN user readers rated FPSC a 7.4/10. Seems pretty fair if you ask me.
"

The ratings were as a game, not an engine, as are all on IGN (short for Insider gaming news). Press average was 5.3, reader average was 7.4.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 21:15
well since everybody is talking about multiple textures,how do i set multiple on one model???

Soldier of Fortune Episode 1
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FPSC is good, enough to get your little feet dirty for a long time as an intro to the multi-billion-dollar industry."

Exactly. Grand Theft Auto 4 made something like 500 million in its first week, totally blowing the movie industry record out of the water. Goes without saying that it wasn't made by a couple of guys in their spare time.

The fact that FPSC can give you a taste of this game making magic, I think makes it much more fun than any other commercial game I've played in recent memory. In fact, it makes me that much more unimpressed with commercial games in general. Probably why even great games like Bioshock and HL2 Episode 2 can't hold my interest the same way FPSC can.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yea Bond, I agree. I make a map, just for fun almost everyday sometimes with FPSC, where as...I haven't touched the Half Life 2 box in a long time.

TeamASP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 15:58
Quote: "couple of guys in their spare time"

Couple of guys started out in London as DMA (the Lemmings), cooperated with different game companies, collaborated with BMG Music, and built a decent engine plus EA's Renderware, then finally the lawyer-magnet GTA3. Now they ditched Renderware, then added Euphoria plus their own RAGE (think Table Tennis) then what do you get? GTA4.

FPSC is beneficial in many ways. (1) Added foundation in graphics design. You are forced to exploit FPSC main menus in order to get a good layout, good for published materials. (2) Better english skills. YES. In order to have an effective game, you need to have a good plot. Result: English book.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 03:16:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 03:16:53