Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Atom 0.1b Public Beta Released!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 06:51 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2008 07:17
I'm proud to announce that Atom, a game I've been working on for a couple months now, is ready to be released for beta testing!

The game is fully functional and feature complete. There are some things I want to do for the final like perhaps a save game feature. If your willing, please download it and play then tell me of what kinds of problems you may have found of if you have any suggestions then post them here! Also tell me if you like it.

---------
A T O M
---------
ver 0.1b

Steer your gravitron through zero gravity space and collect electrons to place them
in the nucleus and form the next element in the periodic table of elements. You score
by how fast you can build the current element to earn extra lives and extra time on the
next element. Avoid super charged projectiles and other hazards or your gravitron will
be decimated! Have fun while you learn the Periodic Table of Elements!

I hope you like this game!

Download it here! There is no installer until final.
http://www.battlecraft42.com/downloads/Atom_0.1b.rar

Get zParticle! An advanced particle system plugin for DBP!
Website and Download link!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 02:56 Edited at: 4th Jun 2008 03:11
Post this in your WIP topic as well!

Impressed. Lots of SFX, but would still like the thingies you need to collect to glow. Also, I'd like to be able to pick 'wrong' thingies.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 04:20
Thanks for the comments Rami!

Well, like I said, tried putting glow on the electrons but they looked horrible because of the alpha sorting and I could not find the right combination of settings.

Initially, you could grab any electron. But you had to hold the spacebar to grab it then release it to fire it. But I dropped that system for the one now which to me, improved the gameplay. I did also have it where you could still grab whatever molecule you ran over but that made it too difficult as you spent more time trying to get rid of the electron you accidentally grabbed to grab the one you needed... most often missing it and accidentally grabbing another. It was frustrating.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 11:13
It's quite nice, the menu and text wavy effects were quite cool, however I found the game a bit annoying and boring , after level 10 I gave up. However I'm not really sure how it could be made better, or at least any ideas that wouldn't totally change the game, though the engine/effects are nice.

Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 19:02
Ok thanks. Exactly what made it annoying and boring for you? Thats what this post is about to get feedback on the game to make it more fun and such.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 20:17
The annoying bit was mainly the balls surrounding the nucleus, doing any form of long range shot was a bit random and usually the electron would just bounce around and sometimes into it. I also found the controls overly fiddly, once I attained max speed, when facing the other way and accelerating, instead of slowing down to a stop then going again I'd just flip around to max speed in that direction, so getting some electrons when you're close to them is a bit of a pain.

It's boring because from what I played all the levels were the same, seeing the huge list of elements and the top ones being +100 electrons to collect didn't seem very appealing to me, maybe some of the levels could be different(or maybe they are?), i.e. if I'm on the uranium level then maybe I get radiation damage from getting too close to the nucleus, or if I'm on a level with some type of liquid then maybe there could be liquid obstacles around the map, if I go into them then my movement is slowed down for a while or something, so having each level give you information about each specific element might add some variation. Maybe even instead of just a time limit, once it expires the element goes through various chemical states, so it starts off as a solid, when it melts into a liquid, and if you really suck it turns into a gas and maybe spawns moving gas clouds around the level, who knows. Also, if you add this variation thing it it might be nice if you could move around to a level that's around you, rather than just going to the next one in a fixed order, i.e. if I complete the Nickel level I could jump to Lead, but if you make each level different then it's not so much a linear sequence of jumping to a much harder/longer level, but a far different one, so if a certain stage is too hard then players could move to another and try it later, currently if they can't do the current level then they won't be able to do the next or the ones after as they are the same, just harder.

Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2008 21:28
Some pretty good ideas. I thought of having like a slot machine kinda thing after getting Excellent on an element that would give you random of 3 things like extra life, extra time or skip 5 elements.

I like the idea of putting gas clouds, liquid pools and solid obstacles in the ring when you are on that class of elements. Having a different effect on every element in regard to the type of element would be really alot more than I was planning on doing with the game.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I only made it through a couple elements before getting bored. You should definitely consider dark coder's suggestions. But what forced me to quit was a glitch; no matter how many times I ran over a green electron, it would not pick up. The atom wanted two green electrons in a row and the first one worked just fine, but the second didn't do anything.

Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 04:24
Ok guys. Thanks for your comments. I'll work out a few things and hopefully raise the "fun factor".

Thanks for trying it!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 19:26 Edited at: 16th Jun 2008 19:26
Maybe you could make it so that after every period (period == row) in the table you get the chance to upgrade the ship, by spending credits you earn by completing an element quickly? At the normal rate, going all the way to the end of the table would take hours, but maybe with the upgrades it can be quicker.

Upgrades could be that you attract electrons towards you that are nearby, or laser sight, or ability to carry more than one electron at a time, or shielding, etc.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 08:44
Here's a thought to make it a bit more challenging:
Make it so when you collect an electron, it orbits your gravitron, and when you press spacebar it won't fly in front of you, it'll shoot out in the direction it is in relation to your ship. So, you gotta time the firing for when the electron is between you and the nucleus.

With that thought in mind, how about being able to collect more than one electron at a time? Have them all orbit around you, then shoot out after a single press of the spacebar. An propelled electrons can possibly destroy those enemy things?

Also, how about some more hazards? I mean, the quantum world sure seems like a dangerous place to me.

This does look like a great project, and I'd love to see it become a very addicting (yet educational) game.

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:15:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:15:45