Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Would this be Practical?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 00:43
I have been thinking of making a different FPS game. Dodgeball. I was wondering if you guys would even think this is able to be done.

One shot kill
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 01:53
You could possibly do it by messing with the physics of a ball entity. You can also make it to where the ball hurts the other AI. I don't know how to make it to where the AI pick up the balls for you, though. That's all that would need working on.

Gunn3r Games
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 02:52
nice sig gunn3r i havnt stopped by the forums lately maybe ill check it out later

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 02:54
Cool. I made the sig last night. I'm working on getting a team set up for gaming... The site that I'm working for Gunn3r Games has a clan feature built in, so I need input for teams. I'm also ready to crown the Game Dev/Artist of the Month.

Anyway... I don't think you can mess with the AI so that they pick up dynamic entities and throw them at you. Sorry mate.

Gunn3r Games
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 03:35
@ K RIO: Type in 'dodgeball' (without the quotes) into the search box in the Showcase forums, Jenkins tried an idea like this, but unfortunately, it didn't work out too well.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 06:34
Ya I tried to make a dodgeball but failed. Apparently with Flak, the damage is done by the explosion. And exploding dodgeballs is pretty silly.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 07:32 Edited at: 10th Jun 2008 07:33
Well... how about making a bunch of dynamic ball entities and setting their physics damage very high, so that when thrown at someone it'll kill them istantly. Then people can run around, pick up the balls and throw them at other people, and that'll also make the balls reusable.

Now, when the game starts, have "entry doors" to the playing field that'll close after a set amount of time, that way, when someone gets knocked out, they respawn behind the door and will have to wait for the next "round" to start before they can play again.

Of course, unless you want a free-for-all dodgeball match, you'd need a Mod to set up the MP game to have teams. Other than that, it's completely possible.

And while you're modding the source, might as well set up a script function to disable "object pickup" for a player. That way you can have the "field" split into two, and have two triggerzones completely covering each side of the field that will disable a player's ability to pick up a ball if they're on the wrong side.

Great idea, but would take a little bit of work in the source to pull off.

@K RIO:

Hey, just now noticed that you're from Colorado. That's where I live! I'm around Falcon, what part of Colorado are you in?

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 01:28:37
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 01:28:37