Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 19:04
hmmm My Dark Basic is really messsssed up...

I can't program with this hunk of junk.

I urge you to watch the film "Who killed the electric car". Support electric cars! Did you know their used to be more electric cars then gassoline cars?
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 19:09
okay. i think i fixed the freeze problem. look on the other thread

AM I UGLY OR WHAT??!!
oh and join my PivoT Forum at....http://pivo.proboards104.com
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "RPG Thing"

Ok, don't get ahead of yourself. Does the team have a name yet? As I recall it was something like noob games or something. Any ideas for a new one or do you guys just want to stick with noob games.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2008 23:40
It was The Noob Game Devolopement Team (T.N.G.D.T)

I could think of some names... I think I different name would be nice... and a new thread...

I urge you to watch the film "Who killed the electric car". Support electric cars! Did you know their used to be more electric cars then gassoline cars?
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 00:23
That acronym made me thimk of TMNT or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles......

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with the new thread idea, this one is getting a little big seeing as how the first team project hasn't even really been started.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 00:36
Quote: " this one is getting a little big seeing as how the first team project hasn't even really been started."

amen.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmmm, for the team name, it could be The Noob Team (TNT). Just wanted to throw it out there because it made for a cool abbreviation.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 01:29 Edited at: 25th Jul 2008 01:30
Oooo

or!

DIBS!

Dark Irojo BN2'S!
-

I like that name BN2. But TNT is just... an overused abbreviation.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quite true. I just thought of it because I saw TNGDT and thought hmmm we could get an interesting abbreviation without GD.

About DIBS, clever, but the team should be open to new people coming in, although it does seem like it is just us.

how bout DarkNOOBS?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 03:01 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 23:26

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 03:45
Lol Phaelax. I like DarkNOOBS BN2!

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone else care to join?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 15:46
Lol!
Nice Phaelex.

i might put it as my sig....

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 16:28
How about C.O.M.B.A.T.I.N.G

Complete
Or
Minor
Beginners
Allying
Together
In
Noob
Games

Thank you for your time.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 16:52
hey! not a bad one...

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 18:57
That's pretty good Nano...

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 20:15
Uh Oh... now everyone will start thinking of strange acronyms to describe the team! Not good, not good!

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
not bad nano, but kind of long. So, lets put it up to vote:

1.Complete Or Minor Beginners Allying Together In Noob Games (COMBATING)
2.DarkNoobs (DNS)
3.The Noob Game Development Team (TNGDT)
4.The Noob Team (TNT)
5.Dark Irojo BN2's (DIBS)

These are in no particular order. Either by the end of today or when everyone's votes are cast, we will choose the name.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 21:27
In this order of my votes (so count 1 as my vote)
1 DarkNoobs
2 Complete or minor beginners allying together in noob games (COMBATING)
3 The noob game development Team (TNGDT)
4 The Noob Team
5 Dark Irojo BN2's (DIBS)*

*funny mine is last.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 22:31
ummm... 3 and 1 and good...........

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, if that is everyone, it looks like DarkNOOBS won. So, for our first project, I was thinking about sticking with text only for now.

Ideas were thrown around before about a text rpg, but I still think that might be a little much. First, lets go REALLY simple, with a text adventure, choice based. Then, we can upgrade it to have a few graphics and slowly progress the game from there. Since it is the first project, how about we go with a simple story:

A person (main character) is a normal guy. Suddenly a monster comes and kidnaps the royal family and it is up to this guy to save the world. He has to go on a quest to stop the monster. Remember, this is an adventure, so there will be very little if any player controlled fighting.

Let me know what you guys think about this. Also pitch ideas for a better story, I know that this one sucks.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 17:12
hmm Idk...text rpgs... text adventures... so simple and easy, but time consuming. The story is like Mario.

Sure let's try it. But first.. a new thread?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 17:16
Quote: " a new thread?"

Right.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 17:19
BN2 should make it. He's more famous then us.

It will get more attention... I think...

I'm up to doing it if you want though.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 17:52
Okay. This should have to do:

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 18:16 Edited at: 26th Jul 2008 18:46
Heheh! Not a bad start. lemme see what i can do....

Here We are...
@Irojo
Fixed minor Grammer mistakes.
Used your menu

I modded it a bit and hope you dont mind.....

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 19:02 Edited at: 26th Jul 2008 19:45
Playin' around with the idea.

This could be big!

Take a look at this!

You can Hit "Play" Now.....

JOIN THE WAVE. THE PIVO WAVE. http://pivo.proboards104.com

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 19:53
The new build.

And code....

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 20:07
This one has everything and is updated...

Attachments

Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 20:34 Edited at: 26th Jul 2008 20:51
Is that gonna be the logo? DarkNewbian Brain Corner?
Very well then. On to making the userbar...
And, we would need a forum. Who would run the forum? BN2?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 20:49 Edited at: 26th Jul 2008 23:10
Ok, hang on guys, before everyone jumps into coding their own, lets try to work on some code organization.

First off, the goal is to not make the entire thing:
cls
print "you are standing in a courtyard(1.north,2.south etc etc"
if ...

Lets try to work on making a smaller game loop that will keep going, and then use subroutines and arrays and such to keep it tidy.

re: the easiness. Yeah, this is pretty easy to start. My idea was that we start off with a text adventure, then work our way up through the different stages. For instance, after this we could make it a text parser (the player would type "go north") or we could add some non-animated 2d graphincs. Then, if we aren't totally sick of this story yet, we advace further and further, maybe eventually pushing into basic 3D shapes (not sure if we will hit models, just because idk if any of us can model and trying to find the right one is hard.

So here is step one, I want everyone to try to make a way to do this orderly. Try to make it so that you guys do different things. Remember, you can do it any way you want, except for (no offense) the way you guys have been doing it.

@Dark
I kinda got lost in the code. While I do agree that we need a splash screen, it looks like you are doing an rpg. Adventures will be an easier start, just because there isn't a need for a whole combat system. We might make it an rpg once we finish the adventure.

@all
Ok, re: the new thread. Lets wait till we are well under way on this project to create it, as I don't really want to have it locked for spamming/bad team recruiting stuff. Also, a while back I got started on a community functions library for dbc and was wondering if we, as a team, wanted to take on that as an extra thing to do. Essentially it is just a lot of compiling and testing code. Let me know what you think about this idea.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 00:30 Edited at: 27th Jul 2008 01:43
Hello strangers,
sorry I've been away so long, been very busy.
However I am very pleased to see how you have all gotten into the spirit of the team in my absence; the main principle that I founded this team on is that it is not under the sole responsibility or ownership of any one person, those who rise to the challenge become the new leaders of the team.

There have been a few comments about how crowded this thread is getting. I think this should remain as the "watering hole" for the group but when individual projects are started new threads should be made to cater for them (exclusively).

The main stumbling block for all of us is how to organise the group over the internet. BN2 seems to be gearing up to be producer on a text adventure, I will also be running the pong project, so hopefully with these starter projects we can work out the best way to organise the team.

I have high hopes for the team, if we succeed in getting off the ground with these projects we could become a permanent fixture of the forums, maybe even get our own board! lol

I'll have a look at your code for pong, if you want to work on pong please post so I know who I'm working with.
I've written a complete pong game to prepare for this so that should make it simpler.

I will of course be offering help to BN2 and his team and will welcome any support for my project.

[EDIT]

@DD & Irojo
I've looked at your code and it's clear you are both capable of writing good programs, it's just neither of you can write a program well lol. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but I'm talking about your code structure; it's quite hard work to follow your programs and work out what they do, and it'd be even harder work to try and alter them.
I want you both to practice using subroutines properly, and only ever have one DO LOOP, there is never any reason to have two, some people say you should never even have one! The reason for that is it restricts the flow of your program.

The way I work is by writing a block of code in the main loop and when I can see a suitable chunk that is pretty much independent I cut it out and make it a subroutine or function, whichever is more appropriate. This is great for editing as you are left with neat gosubs and your main loop consists of only a few lines of (hopefully descriptive) gosub names.

Indenting is something you are both a bit confused about, although Irojo seems to be getting the hang of it now."If you have a command that takes up more that one line, indent the lines within the command so you can see where it begins and ends". It's as simple as that and makes bug catching 1000 times easier.

I'm going on about structure because it is probably the most important thing when working in a team; after all, other people have to be able to understand, use and edit your code.

One more thing: You're both going about the physics in the wrong way, Irojo has clearly put a lot of effort into a very elaborate string of multiple if statements, but you should be thinking about angles, the ball can travel in any direction (360 degrees) and it is actually very simple to alter it's direction after collisions. You simply reflect the angle against an imaginary plain; like a real ball hitting a wall the angle coming off the wall will be exactly opposed to the angle it impacted at.

To do the physics you need to use sine and cosine and work out how to use an imaginary plane.
I'll give you a quick lesson:
As you may already know, sine and cosine can be used to draw a circle by assigning one axis to sine and the other to cosine.
The way the circle is drawn is by using a central point and drawing a dot at the x and y offset given by the angle's value in sine and cosine (you would multiply this out to give the circle width as sine and cosine are -1 to 1).
So by sticking to a single angle we can fix the x and y offset as a new co-ordinate, then we repeat the process with the new central point and our ball is moving along in a constant direction.

Try changing the angle and see what happens.

Now let's reflect the line off an imaginary plane.
There are two planes we'll need for pong: horizontal and vertical, but you could use a plane of any angle.

We've reflected the line horizontally by subtracting the angle from 360; the number we subtract our angle from is the plane of reflection. 360 (or 0) is a vertical plane.
180 is a horizontal plane and will reflect the line vertically.

You should be able to work out how to make the line reflect in any direction now by altering the plane of reflection.

It is far better to complete a 10 line program than to start a 10,000 line program.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 02:47
Right.....uh i.....go a little excited...ahem....eh? *cough*
Ok.

I've always struggled with my Code Structure, actually.

I'll Get to work, and back up a few steps. So, BN2 said the first thing we need to do is come up with a nice, readable,easyly modifiable loop, so that we can add story nodes and stuff with out retyping all that unnessacary Jibberish.........

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 05:56 Edited at: 27th Jul 2008 06:00
Aww. I thought my code structure had gotten quite good. :/ What's wrong with two loops? What does everyone expect? It's simpler that way.

Instead of this?

I find the prior much simpler.

I guess we're (dark dragon and I) have gotten to the point where the math get's more complicated. I'm pretty good at math, but I think once I have Calculus and the higher level (basically the stuff after algebra) then It'll be easier. But I'm definetly going to try now.

Thanks for responding Obese. It's so nice to get input on my code. No matter how negative.

So I was thinking... You say Dark Dragon and I need some coding work. Structure and the sort. So what if you gave us a program with no structure, and like two or three loops, and challenged us to make the loops into one, make it neat, and labeled? Just an idea.

I want to get good at this stuff, so whatever you say is best, I'm all for it.

@Dark Dragon

How do you get that image as your sig? Sorry I'm a noob at that sort of thing :/

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think once I have Calculus and the higher level (basically the stuff after algebra)"

Not necessarily. I have taken calculus and find it relatively non-helpful, mostly because dbc doesn't support most of the things in Calculus (anti-derivatives and such). Geometry is helpful though, as is some basic trig.

@Obese
Sorry for kinda jumping in, just didn't want this to die. I don't think we have enough people to split ourselves into more than one project. Lets stick with pong for now, I will help out as much as possible.

NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 13:08
@Obese
I been watching this thread go along and now I have some free time, so I was wondering whether you needed any extra help?

Thank you for your time.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 18:38 Edited at: 27th Jul 2008 18:55
wrong thread.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2008 18:41 Edited at: 27th Jul 2008 18:55
*feeling idiotic* wrong thread...

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "*feeling idiotic* wrong thread..."

Whats that saying, "The definition of a fool is some who does the same thing twice expecting a different result."

lol j/k man!

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 00:03
lol *wipes head* I think I posted a little early in the day.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
So, shall we begin delegating roles for pong? I know it was already started, but perhaps we should restart with a little more structure regarding what will be done and who does what.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 18:38
I HATE PONG!!!!

But,

Sure, why not?

In the word's of a wise man:
Quote: " Hello. "
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, fair enough, lets see what the options are for a first project, then we can just decide as a group.

Pong is an easy choice. If you have any ideas, go ahead and suggest it. The idea is that it will be just as useful as pong. Pong is a very good all-around program, requiring sprites, some geometry, and such. So for this exercise, a text adventure/rpg is out of the picture. But, any ideas are welcome. I would say, 1-2 days to come up with a valid suggestion or we do pong.

Anti Human
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 21:50 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 21:53
if you guys were going with a text adventure-to-RPG. i'v been working on a battle sequence. It looks like i'l never finish it to begin work on the rest of the RPG so it's not much use.

started a text-based RPG to run myself through the basic commands and hopefully get the hang of them before i step up to 2d and then 3d.

i sent Obese a email last night about joining. the whole analogue clock thing is way over my head. no idea where to start, looking at the code of submitted entries shows me what to type but not why, or how it works.

i'v attached the last working version of the file. couldnt' get the .exe created with the files inside so there's the .exe and the arrays folder.

if this would be excepted in place of the clock, i'l join. not making much head way solo.

if any one wants to the source code, just let me know, i'l zip them all up.

currently trying to get XP and lvl's. plus a shop once the lvl's are done. and i don't have a load game working yet. don't need it, no lvl's.

EDIT: forgot to attach the file.

Today is a good day, at least compared to tomorrow.
And every day is a good day to die, because then, there is no tomorrow

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "if you guys were going with a text adventure-to-RPG"

Sorry but I think the idea for this particular project is 2D.

For the clock, here is the order that things need to be done:
1. Draw the clock (circle numbers and maybe some ticks for minutes)
2. Read the time and split it into different variables. Note that get time$ returns the time in HH:MM:SS so you can use the right$ and left$ commands to get the numbers then convert them to numbers with val.
3. Draw the hands at the right level. If you know any polar coordinates commands, that can help you out. Other than that, it is kind of up to you how you do it. I personally prefer polar coordinates. Here they are should you want them:
x=r*cos(angle)+centerx
y=r*sin(angle)+centery
r=sqrt(x*x+y*y)
angle=atan(y/x)

Don't quite remember off the top of my head which ones I used, so it will be up to you. R is the distance you want for the line. Angle is the angle of the line, and x/y are the coordinates at the end.

This is the math approach, there are other ways, as sinisterstuf showed with his code, that don't use trig. I did it all with trig and such.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 00:07
Maybe we could do a platformer? Nothing difficult. The basics. Gravity, jumping, and eventually, perhaps we could add in physics for shooting a bullet, and maybe side scrolling. And it'd be great practice for sprite collision.

In the word's of a wise man:
Quote: " Hello. "
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 01:09 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 01:13
TDK made a 2D scroller kit (on TGPF) but never quite finished it... or released it to the public.
I could try my hand at making one myself (in C#) but it could take a while. But it will be good practice with my coding skills in both languages, because the program will have to generate code in DBC.

I'll take a shot at it, and see how it goes. But right now I'm in an online poker tournament, and I can't really work on it.. wait... new hand starting... ooooh... good hand. Whatever. anyways, when the poker tournament is finished, or when I lose, I'll start working on it. (If I fold, I can do a little, but when a new hand starts, I have to play)

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 01:26
Lol, okay.

My internet is not fast enough to double post.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 03:44
So far as clocks are concerned, if trigonometry scares you and 3D scares you then you could probably do it just as easily with sprites.

So far as platformers are concerned, has anyone here played Slash the Building or N? Both very simple yet very addictive. Just as a suggestion to springboard possible project ideas.

[UNERROR 16: able to retrieve user signature]
1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55... you like?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:31:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:31:44