Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Noob Games HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 08:21 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 06:31
Wait... is this group working on the clock or the Text RPG battle system?
Anyways, I borrowed a bit from OBese87's "Draw a Circle" code to make this analog clock program. It's nowhere near from looking good, but I thought it might be a good pointer to see how it can be done.

I might even join this group! Don't put me in yet though. Even though I've had the program for about a year now, doesn't mean I can still be counted as a newbie!

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sinani

Not bad, though there are no numbers

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 22:55 Edited at: 24th Jun 2008 03:30
I warned you that it was nowhere near looking good!
Anyways,I'll work on putting in bells and whistles (like the numbers) later.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 06:13 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2008 06:18
Quote: "I might even join this group! "

Wow Sinani... ummmm I've looked at your Dark Basic Classic Challenge Programming Thread (I think that's right) And your entries have been quite impressive...if you call yourself a noob... most of us will get demoted from noobship... TDK Might be forced down to Genius level...

(what I'm trying to say is)
You learned all of your skills in 1 year!? Quite impressive.

Quote: "Wait... is this group working on the clock or the Text RPG battle system?
"

If my impression is correct... The Team is working on the Text RPG... and as an individual we are making the analogue clock... (which is 70% mathmatics by the way )

Off Topic....

@BN2
Quote: "Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?"

Isn't macintosh an apple? So shouldn't it be auto corrected to Macintosh? Excuse me if I'm being an idiot.

No stylish Signature here.
Sinani201
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 07:01 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 06:41
Quote: "And your entries have been quite impressive"

I made 3 entries... from what I remember. The shoot-a-circle racing entry, the underwater shooting entry, and the Rock Paper Scissors entry. I wouldn't say that the were all quite impressive (the underwater one barely even worked!), but I guess they were... a little.
Overall, I'd say I'm a bit between noob level and... err... whatever is above it (not to brag or anything like that).
Quote: "Isn't macintosh an apple? So shouldn't it be auto corrected to Macintosh? Excuse me if I'm being an idiot."

It gets the underline because, if you right click on it, there are two suggestions.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Isn't macintosh an apple? So shouldn't it be auto corrected to Macintosh? Excuse me if I'm being an idiot."

Yeah, macintosh IS an apple brand. However, when you type macintosh, it DOES get underlined and the only suggestion is Macintosh. I was merely pointing out that Microsoft will auto correct it's own name, but doesn't auto correct a competitor (not surprising, I just found it kinda humorous).

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 06:19 Edited at: 24th Jun 2008 06:24
Is it just me... or has this been redified...?
A.K.A. This is the "Hot" thread. I wonder if that will spark more interest.

[EDIT]

Quote: "I just found it kinda humorous)."

As do I!

@Obese
Perhaps BN2 should be allowed to accept people onto the team when your gone for a while, or busy, or computer problems?

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 06:31
Alright crew, I'm redoing alot of it, adding in attack options, as well as level up bonuses. Plus, I added in 1 item (so far) as an example of how it could be done. And if you level up, new abilities are unlocked! ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... I'm going to continue working on it, but that's how it is right now... *changes mind* I'm going to show you guys the code so far and see what you think. *Looks expectently on team and professionals*
And yes, it stills has a ton of problems. Work on it if it so pleases you.

It's slightly messy... Like I said this is just partly into it.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 02:28 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 02:29
@Irojo
Good start. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. Instead of checking for the same input twice (such as C and c) you can use upper$ or lower$ like this:

2. With your monster data, put the information into DATA commands then READ them into arrays for quick reference. Here is an example using your values (note that you can't put rnd() commands into data statements so I just chose half of the rnd() statements):

3. Your orgaization is bad. You should have only ONE END command and that is at the end of your program. Your subroutines and functions should be placed after it (a good practice is to put all the subroutines together in order that they are called and all of the functions together in order that they are called) and completed with the RETURN command. Some of your subroutines seem to be ended with the END command, which is very bad.

4. It seems like you made all of your variables strings or floats. The strings are fine, but you seem to misunderstand what floats (variables with the # sign) are. They are variables that can contain decimals. They should only be used if the variable can contain a fractional value or if it will be used in an equation that will return a fraction. If it will just be an integer, simply use a regular variable (no character after). This could also help prevent things like being lvl 3.14 etc etc.

5. Your battleattack and battlezone subroutines are very messy. Put in some rem commands to tell us what is going on in each line (only every line if necessary, just don't go over the top). I can telly ou that battle attack needs a RETURN and should use gosub, not goto (I think, but I don't really know what is going on in some of the stuff).

iron programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 05:05 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 05:05
OK, guys, I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to quit this project for several reasons:

1. I am extremely busy as my band is kicking off.
2. I am gone during the day, every weekday.
and....

3. I am WAY too nooby for this team.

God grant you blessings!

mi keety tot mi gramer?
Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 06:20 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 06:20
Quote: "I am WAY too nooby for this team."

thats what we're here for...to help

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Since it appears that no one ever completed the clock, here is an idea for an individual challenge (I think the clock was a great one but whatever) to keep you occupied till obese comes back: Design a text based rpg battle. It should be simple, and easy to figure out how to use. To do it you should think "What do I know I can do?" then try to one up that. For instance, if you know you can use the 2d drawing commands well, try to do it using text only (aka ascii graphics-just text to make shapes).

Just a suggestion, since you seem to all really want to work on an rpg, this can help get you acquainted as to how the different elements need to work. I would definitely suggest leaving out anything specific (instead of naming skills, just do skill one and team members are just member 1) and don't bother with equipment mods unless you have time later. Try to get it done in by Sunday. If you can't just try to get it done in time for Obese to get here. He will probably have another project for all of you guys when he does get back.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 16:10
Not much of a noob anymore, but i was lookng at this and the clock and the rpg look good. can I still Join?

AM I UGLY OR WHAT??!!
What? It's My Sig!!...
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I am in no place to say, it isn't my team. But, seeing as how the team leader (Obese) is gone, assume that you are on until he gets back.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 03:57
okay.

what's needed?

AM I UGLY OR WHAT??!!
What? It's My Sig!!...
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 23:49 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 00:10
Quote: "Since it appears that no one ever completed the clock, here is an idea for an individual challenge (I think the clock was a great one but whatever) to keep you occupied till obese comes back: Design a text based rpg battle. It should be simple, and easy to figure out how to use. To do it you should think "What do I know I can do?" then try to one up that. For instance, if you know you can use the 2d drawing commands well, try to do it using text only (aka ascii graphics-just text to make shapes).

Just a suggestion, since you seem to all really want to work on an rpg, this can help get you acquainted as to how the different elements need to work. I would definitely suggest leaving out anything specific (instead of naming skills, just do skill one and team members are just member 1) and don't bother with equipment mods unless you have time later. Try to get it done in by Sunday. If you can't just try to get it done in time for Obese to get here. He will probably have another project for all of you guys when he does get back."

That's basically what I was trying to do with my program.

Quote: "4. It seems like you made all of your variables strings or floats. The strings are fine, but you seem to misunderstand what floats (variables with the # sign) are. They are variables that can contain decimals. They should only be used if the variable can contain a fractional value or if it will be used in an equation that will return a fraction. If it will just be an integer, simply use a regular variable (no character after). This could also help prevent things like being lvl 3.14 etc etc."

*lightbulb moment* OH! So your saying if I were to do:

z=2.5+.2
It wouldn't work,
but
z#=2.5+.2
would work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've stopped working on the text RPG thing, because I feel I don't know enough new commands. I've begun work on a Paint Program, and have learned 2 or 3 new commands already, once I finish with my Eye Dropper Tool, I will post it here...

And here it is...
Not quite finished/clean, but a Paint Program Nonetheless. Constructive Criticism appreciated.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:34
@Irojo
WoW. Nice work.

AM I UGLY OR WHAT??!!
What? It's My Sig!!...
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:37
Thank you.

If you want to purchase it... lol.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:38
haha

.......Good one.

AM I UGLY OR WHAT??!!
What? It's My Sig!!...
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:55

766 Views!!!!!!!!!

Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 01:13 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 01:13
Quote: "*lightbulb moment* OH! So your saying if I were to do:

z=2.5+.2
It wouldn't work,
but
z#=2.5+.2
would work?
"

yes that would work

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 02:00 Edited at: 27th Jun 2008 02:21
This interested me cos I thought I sucked...
Maybe I'll change my mind, I'm not sure yet.
Tomorrow I'll make a clock, i think OBese87 is making it more complicated than it could be... Which might not be a bad thing.
If I can help in any way then just ask...

@Irojo
isn't the point of this to learn? So if you feel you don't know enough commands then it's the perfect opportuntiy, right?

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 02:10
Quote: "yes that would work"

Ok thank you.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 01:52
...ok, I wasn't at home much today so I didn't touch a computer even once. Tomorrow I will make a clock. Then if I'm bored I will either make a combat system for an RPG (does it have to be text based?) or I will go do something useful kidding.

@Irojo:
PS hows ur RPG thing going?

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 22:34
@Sinister

I'm having a little thought-process trouble, trying to make it so it determines whether or not the action is available, and then whether or not the selection can be made. For example:

if playerstr>10
`the option for attack i.g. Slash is an option.
endif
print "Select your Option"
do
if inkey$()="1" and option=available go to the option.
loop

O_o

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 22:37 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 22:42
@Dark Dragon
Quote: "what's needed?"

Quote: "
Since it appears that no one ever completed the clock, here is an idea for an individual challenge (I think the clock was a great one but whatever) to keep you occupied till obese comes back: Design a text based rpg battle. It should be simple, and easy to figure out how to use. To do it you should think "What do I know I can do?" then try to one up that. For instance, if you know you can use the 2d drawing commands well, try to do it using text only (aka ascii graphics-just text to make shapes). "

[EDIT] WHOOPS DOUBLE POST MY BAD.
If I'm going to double post, I might as well make it useful.
Paint Version 1.4

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 23:49 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 00:14
here is an example of the rpg system that I made. The two obstacles I was working with were: all text based graphics (no sprites AND no drawing commands) and no cls. Also attaching the zipped exe file, in case you want the version with music.

@irojo

here is an answer to your question. It would look something like this:

I would suggest one array though, for simple storage of a many skills for each person like so:

Then to top it all off, rather than using a bunch of ugly and cluttering if thens, use a single for-next loop like so:

That way, you don't have to write it in (this could also be changed to work with checking levels, rather than attack strength).

Hope this helps

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 00:50 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 15:02
...I was too busy today, didn't do anything

@Irojo:
BN2 is right. Arrays are the way to go.
But you can only use the 'for next loop' if the required attack skill levels follow a pattern, which they probably should.

And this continues from where BN2 stopped:
-If you get more xp you learn new skills.
-With your new skills the monsters become easier to kill.
-The monsters become stronger so the game doesn't get boring.
-Killing stronger monsters ears you more xp which means that the rate at which you gain new skills increases.

are you with me so far?
What BN2 showed is an arithmatic sequence, it increases by the same ammount (in his example: 2) each time, and as you can see, the pattern of attack skill required to unlock a new move goes like 2,4,6,8,10. But this means that you will start learning them quicker as the game goes on (as explained above) unless you increase the gaps inbetween each skill requirement each time so that it goes, for example; 2,4,8,16,32. Here the ammount of attack skill required for each new move doubles (of course you can do something a bit less than doubling if you think the skillevels increase too fast) and this is called a geometric sequence.
Now, the code for doing this is to multiply a term in the sequence by a number (in this case 2 because we are doubling) to get the next term. But first you need to define the first term which in this case will be 2 (and is stored in the playerskilltmp variable). So:

Does this make sense? If there's anything you want me to explain then just say.

Hope this helped.

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 00:55 Edited at: 29th Jun 2008 01:04
This post was not meant to have been made, but by some accident it happened anyway. My phone browser is messed up. My sincerest apologies.

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 17:17 Edited at: 30th Jun 2008 18:38
Thank you guys.
[edit]
What does DIM stand for/mean?

Before I make a post, I have a sad habit of pressing f4. Same goes for online searches...
fnybny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 19:39
clock!

do
ink rgb(0,100,0),1
print "time:_the _current_time"
print get date$();" ";get time$()
sleep 1000
cls
loop

hi
fnybny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 19:54 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 03:30
command prompt-like shell

File$ = "E:programsscriptpmlsav.txt"
If File Exist(file$) = 0 Then Make File "E:programsscriptpmlsav.txt"

Open To Read 1,file$
Read String 1,1$
Read byte 1,a#
Read byte 1,b#
Read string 1,filename$
Read string 1,break$
Read byte 1,leftelipse#
Read byte 1,topelipse#
Read byte 1,widthelipse#
Read byte 1,heightelipse#
Read byte 1,rcolourelipse#
Read byte 1,gcolourelipse#
Read byte 1,bcolourelipse#
Close File 1

0$=""
a$="write"
b$="drawline"
c$="nts"
d$="end"
e$="save"
f$="box"
g$="print"
h$="clear"
i$="windowed"
j$="dir"
k$="time"
l$="line"
m$="elipse"
n$="help"
o$="button"
p$="3doff"
q$="3don"
r$="open"
cheat1$="colecomfort"
3$="plus"
4$="minus"
5$="times"
6$="divide"
textsize#=10
break#=2

do
ink rgb(0,100,0),1
break#= break# + 20
SET CURSOR 1,break#

Print "command"

ink rgb(0,100,100),1

break#= break# + 20
SET CURSOR 1,break#

input 1$

ink rgb(0,100,0),1

break#= break# + 20
SET CURSOR 1,break#

if o$=1$
input a#
break#= break# + 20
SET CURSOR 1,break#
input b#
break#= break# + 20
SET CURSOR 1,break#

repeat

set cursor a#,b#
if mousex() > 100 and mousex() < 200 and mousey() > 100 and mousey() < 140
color = rgb(0,255,0)

if mouseclick() = 1
color = rgb(150,150,150)
print "bob"
endif
else
color = rgb(255,0,0)
endif

ink color, 0
box 100,100,200,140

until spacekey()

endif

if r$=1$ then print "open:_current_directoryfilename"
if r$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if r$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if r$=1$ then input filename$
if p$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if p$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if r$=1$ then EXECUTE FILE "filename$", "", "./", 1
if r$=1$ then end

if p$=1$ then backdrop off
if p$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if p$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#

if q$=1$ then backdrop off
if q$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if q$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#

if n$=1$ then ink rgb(100,100,0),1
if n$=1$ then print "help:_activated"
if n$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if n$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if n$=1$ then print "help:_these_are_working_commands"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_write:_lets_you_write_text"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_nts:_the_program_ignores_this_type_of_text"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_end:_ends_program"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_box:_creates_box"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_clear:_clears_the_screen"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_time:_tells_the_date_&_time"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_plus:_adds_two_numbers_together"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_minus:_subtracts_two_numbers"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_times:_multiplies_two_numbers_together"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_divide:_divides_two_numbers_together"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_elipse:_creates_an elipse"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_line:_creates_a_line"
if n$=1$ then print "help:_command:_open:_open's_a_file_in_the_current_dirrectory"

if n$=1$ then ink rgb(0,100,0),1

if m$=1$ then print "elipse:_coordinate_left"
if m$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if m$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if m$=1$ then input leftelipse#

if m$=1$ then print "elipse:_coordinate_top"
if m$=1$ then input topelipse#

if m$=1$ then Print "elipse:_red_colour"
if m$=1$ then input rcolourelipse#

if m$=1$ then Print "elipse:_green_colour"
if m$=1$ then input gcolourelipse#

if m$=1$ then Print "elipse:_blue_colour"
if m$=1$ then input bcolourelipse#

if m$=1$ then Print "elipse:_width"
if m$=1$ then input widthelipse#

if m$=1$ then Print "elipse:_height"
if m$=1$ then input heightelipse#

if m$=1$ then ink rgb(rcolour#,gcolour#,bcolour#),1

if m$=1$ then left=(leftelipse#)
if m$=1$ then top=(topelipse#)
if m$=1$ then ellipsewidth=(widthelipse#)
if m$=1$ then ellipseheight=(heightelipse#)
if m$=1$ then ellipse left,top,ellipsewidth,ellipseheight

if l$=1$ then print "line:_coordinate_left"
if l$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if l$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if l$=1$ then input left#

if l$=1$ then print "line:_coordinate_top"
if l$=1$ then input top#

if l$=1$ then Print "line:_red_colour"
if l$=1$ then input rcolour#

if l$=1$ then Print "line:_green_colour"
if l$=1$ then input gcolour#

if l$=1$ then Print "line:_blue_colour"
if l$=1$ then input bcolour#

if l$=1$ then Print "line:_dimmention:_right"
if l$=1$ then input sizer#

if l$=1$ then Print "line:_dimmention:_bottom"
if l$=1$ then input sizeb#

if l$=1$ then ink rgb(rcolour#,gcolour#,bcolour#),1

if l$=1$ then left=(left#)
if l$=1$ then top=(top#)

if l$=1$ then right=(right#)
if l$=1$ then bottom=(bottom#)
if l$=1$ then line left,top,right,bottom

if l$=1$ then ink rgb(0,100,0),1

if f$=1$ then print "box:_coordinate_left"
if f$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if f$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if f$=1$ then input left#

if f$=1$ then print "box:_coordinate_top"
if f$=1$ then input top#

if f$=1$ then Print "box:_red_colour"
if f$=1$ then input rcolour#

if f$=1$ then Print "box:_green_colour"
if f$=1$ then input gcolour#

if f$=1$ then Print "box:_blue_colour"
if f$=1$ then input bcolour#

if f$=1$ then Print "box:_width"
if f$=1$ then input sizer#

if f$=1$ then Print "box:_height"
if f$=1$ then input sizeb#

if f$=1$ then ink rgb(rcolour#,gcolour#,bcolour#),1

if f$=1$ then left=(left#)
if f$=1$ then top=(top#)
if f$=1$ then right=(left+sizer#)
if f$=1$ then bottom=(top+sizeb#)
if f$=1$ then box left,top,right,bottom
if f$=1$ then ink rgb(0,100,0),1

ink rgb(0,100,0),1

if a$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if a$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#

if a$=1$ then print "text:_input"
if a$=1$ then input 2$

if a$=1$ then print "text:_coordinate_x"
if a$=1$ then INPUT x#

if a$=1$ then print "text:_coordinate_y"
if a$=1$ then INPUT y#

if a$=1$ then print "text:_size"
if a$=1$ then input textsize#

if a$=1$ then print "text:_colour:_red"
if a$=1$ then INPUT colourr#

if a$=1$ then print "text:_colour:_green"
if a$=1$ then INPUT colourg#

if a$=1$ then print "text:_colour:_blue"
if a$=1$ then INPUT colourb#

if a$=1$ then print "text:_font"
if a$=1$ then INPUT font$

ink rgb(colourr#,colourg#,colourb#),1

set text size textsise#

set text font font$

set cursor x#,y#

text x#,y#, 2$

ink rgb(0,100,0),1
ink rgb(0,100,0),1

if j$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if j$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if j$=1$ then input Path$

if 3$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if 3$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if 3$=1$ then print "plus:_input_number_one"
if 3$=1$ then input numberone#
if 3$=1$ then print "plus:_input_number_two"
if 3$=1$ then input numbertwo#
if 3$=1$ then print "plus:_sanswer"
if 3$=1$ then print numberone# + numbertwo#

if 4$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if 4$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if 4$=1$ then print "minus:_input_number_one"
if 4$=1$ then input numberone#
if 4$=1$ then print "minus:_input_number_two"
if 4$=1$ then input numbertwo#
if 4$=1$ then print "minus:_answer"
if 4$=1$ then print numberone# - numbertwo#

if 5$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if 5$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if 5$=1$ then print "times_input_number_one"
if 5$=1$ then input numberone#
if 5$=1$ then print "times:_input_number_two"
if 5$=1$ then input numbertwo#
if 5$=1$ then print "times:_answer"
if 5$=1$ then print numberone# * numbertwo#

if 6$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if 6$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if 6$=1$ then print "divide:_input_number_one"
if 6$=1$ then input numberone#
if 6$=1$ then print "divide:_input_number_two"
if 6$=1$ then input numbertwo#
if 6$=1$ then print "divide:_answer"
if 6$=1$ then print numberone# / numbertwo#

if k$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if k$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if k$=1$ then print "time:_the _current_time"
if k$=1$ then print get date$();" ";get time$()

if c$=1$ then ink rgb(100,100,0),1
if c$=1$ then break#= break# + 20
if c$=1$ then SET CURSOR 1,break#
if c$=1$ then input notetoself$
if c$=1$ then ink rgb(0,100,0),1

if j$=1$
set dir Path$

dim item$(100)
items=1
repeat
if get file type()=0
item$(items)=get file name$()
items=items+1
endif
find next
until get file type()=-1
break#= break# + 20
SET CURSOR 1,break#
print "dir:_files"
for t=1 to items-1
break#= break# + 20
SET CURSOR 1,break#
print item$(t)
next t
endif

if h$=1$ then break# = 20
if h$=1$ then cls

if d$=1$ then print "end:_ready_to_end"
if d$=1$ then exit prompt "MESAGE 10", "your program has ended"
if d$=1$ then end

loop

hi
fnybny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 19:57
i can't do analog, but i can do digital???

hi
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 22:03 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 00:36
@Irojo
if you don't know what something means/does then you can type it in in the editor, click it and press the F1 key which will bring up the help on that command/expression.
But anyway, DIM defines array. You know what an array is right? If you don't then I think that one of TDK's tutorials covers that. The syntax for DIM is:
DIM myArrayName(number_of_entries,number_of_sub-entries,etc)
where number_of_entries etc are integers. An array is kindof like what is called a matrix in math, but a matrix in darkBASIC is something completely different. Another place to learn more about arrays is in the darkBASIC help when you press F1 and click principles -> datatypes and variables.

@fnybny
I'm sorry but making a digital clock is excruciatingly easy, you can do it using a minimum of 3 commands. That's why you're supposed to make the analogue one, cos it's more challenging. And for goodness sake, please put your code in code snippets, those little white boxes that everyone else uses!!! Don't be discouraged though. I'm sure if you put your mind to it you can make a really nice clock. And ask us and we'll help you if you get stuck. Sorry, I couldn't check out your other program, can somebody else please?

@all:
I made a clock screensaver earlier. For some reason whenever I try to paste the code in here it says 'maximum number of characters reached' and fails, so I added it as an attachment in a text document. Hope you like it. You'll also notice that nowhere in the code does it say sin or cos unless you count stuff like "created by: sinisterstuf cos I got nothin better to do" which just proves that there are multiple solutions to a problem. By the way, the clock I made CAN actually be used as a screensaver if you save the exe as clock.scr or whatever.scr and put that in
C:\WINDOWS\system32
if you are using xp. The code is arranged into labels which you can double click in the project panel and jump to so you can read whichever part you find most interesting/useful. I don't know if there are errors with running this in darkBASIC (I use dbPRO) or if some of the characters like _ or ` became corrupted, so if there are any problems then please say.
Thanks.

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 01:34 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 01:35
@fnybny

Your program said: "File cannot be created"

@Sinister Stuff
thanks for explaining everything.

I really have a thing against downloading programs...

Before I make a post, I have a sad habit of pressing f4. Same goes for online searches...
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 09:49
@Irojo
no problem. And you don't have to download the program, it's just the code. it's in a text file, and it's +-5.8Kb so it will take like 2 seconds to download. Then you just copy the code and paste it into your editor like normal.

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
fnybny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 03:30
sorry i can't figure out how to use the code snippet thing sry. i tried but it did not work.

@ irojo,
replace the two "E:\programs\script\pmlsav.txt" with "any dirrectory"

hi
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
to use the code snippet, click the code button which will enter [ code] (note that the space is there to stop it from becoming an actual code) then put in your code, then click code again, which will enter [ /code] at the end of your post (in both cases it will automatically insert the code at the VERY end of your post, so don't insert your code until after clicking it first)

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 12:23
@Irojo
hows the combat system going?

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 13:04
@BN2 Productions
Or you could just highlight the code and click the code button.

Did you know - 12% of Americans believe Joan of Arc was Noah's wife.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2008 19:48 Edited at: 6th Jul 2008 00:58
Quote: "hows the combat system going?"

I've stopped on it for a bit, I'm looking at BN2's program.
[EDIT]

I love messing with my paint program... Version 1.5
Featuring a clear screen button, which features one of my other programs- Radar. Radar is below the Paint Program

Paint:

Radar:

[EDIT 2]
Concerning the RPG:

I know I can make the rpg battle system, but I'm working on more of the basics, so I can make the rpg battle system without errors.

I have mad skills. I can make a dot follow your mouse in 2d. Don't try and tell me someone has done that before.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 01:23
I see. Great plan my man. So long as you don't abandon your other project and your being productive it's good.
Say, would you be so kind as to put your code into a little text document attachment so I can download it and check it out please cos it sounds cool but my browser doesn't allow me to copy text from websites. Thanks

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2008 06:59 Edited at: 6th Jul 2008 19:06
Quote: "I can download it and check it out please cos it sounds cool but my browser doesn't allow me to copy text from websites."

Tell me what to do and I can do it.
!!!!!!!
I just remembered I don't have any programs along the lines of microsoft word on this computer. That leaves it to someone else sorry mate.

I have mad skills. I can make a dot follow your mouse in 2d. Don't try and tell me someone has done that before.
sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 00:21
Well, I was actualy hoping for something like notepad. Are you running on windows?

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 04:50 Edited at: 7th Jul 2008 04:53
That I am.

EXTRA IN THIS POST:

My first function that uses () (Whatchamacallit):
Yes I know you don't need a function for this.

You don't really need to run this program to see what it's doing.

EVEN MORE EXTRA:
-I recommend everybody on the team attempts a shot at making a paint program. It's a great challenge, because you can't clear the screen. Set text Opaque and Str$() will help alot. As will line, and mousex() and mousey()

I learned a TON by making a paint program.

[EDIT]

On that topic, Paint Version 1.5 is completed.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 13:41
Why can't you clear screen for a drawing app?

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 18:26 Edited at: 8th Jul 2008 18:01
Hi everyone,
I'm back from Turkey.

I'm pleased to see that most of you are giving the clock challenge a go.

For our first project I think we should keep it simple; something along the lines of pong or pacman.
I would love to see some original ideas: imagine that we our one of the first computer game companies in the world and we our developing the next big arcade classic.
Please post any ideas you think would make good old school games.

There has been a lot of talk about text RPGs but I really want to get our first project under our belts before we start on something more ambitious.

Thanks to Sinister Stuff and BN2 Productions for helping out while I was away

I have been thinking about how to run this team and the best solution I've come up with is that I will set a number of tasks that need to be completed for the game and whoever wants to contribute can do so. There will be no fixed team, whoever works on a project will be on the team for that project.

Once all the components of the game are written I will edit them together to produce the finished game, any help with this would be much appreciated especially from more experienced coders.

It is far better to complete a 10 line program than to start a 10,000 line program.
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 20:47 Edited at: 7th Jul 2008 23:09
Obese- Can you point my way to some Sprite tutorials? I can't seem to find any by TDK.

Welcome Back!
Check out my Paint program please, 3 posts up. I'd love some input.

[EDIT]
Your plan makes since.

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 21:15
Yes, obese, nice plan. But i don't know if im noob or not.

@Irojo
if you saved the picture in an array then you could clear screen. There is always more than one solution to a problem. Ok, maybe not ALWAYS. But most of the time.

When the going get stuf,
the stuf get's sinister
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
another way to clear the screen, without erasing certain parts, is to just draw a box over it that is the background color.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:05:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:05:16