Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Newton compound collision in DP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 20:08
Hello folks-

There's a slight chance I may have to switch from Newton to DP. I'm hoping to avoid that (1000s of lines of code with Newton) but just in case, I'd like to see if it's even possible.

My game requires complex concave objects (like a catapult cup+arm) to be a dynamic movable object. Is there a similar command to use in DP that would make a compound collision. Is it just using fixed joints?

Thanks for any help.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 08:16 Edited at: 18th Jun 2008 08:17
I switched from Newton to DP without much problem. I was actually able to keep most of my Newton code in tact. I ported the Newton object dragging example, the one with the elastic looking 2D lines, into Geisha House and now it functions exactly the same with DP.

I've not tried to create concave dynamic objects, I always work around it. It's just too slow. For example, you might use compound convex objects in a way that fairly accurately represents the cup.

I think that the slight advantage you'd gain in simulation value would be outweighed by the additional overhead, especially if there are other things going on besides the catapult.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 16:50
Hi Cash-

Sorry I wasn't very clear. Yeah, I already use multiple convex objects to create the concave cup+stem object, via the "compound collision" functions in Newton (no other way for a dynamic movable object to be concave in Newton). My question is does DP have similar functions to "glue" convex objects together to create one solid movable object, and is it fast?

All I saw in the docs that looked hopeful is the fixed joint but I might be missing another way, and it's possible with joint strengths it might not be a full rigid body... ?

Like your box catapult there... is that one rigid body according to DP? Thanks.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 02:04
Bumpety bump.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 02:12:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 02:12:39