Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 23:29
I am trying to write a Demolition Derby type of game with DP. I cannot figure out how to make the vehicles show damage in-game with DP. Can this be done? If so, how?

LBFN

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 23:55 Edited at: 26th Jun 2008 23:56
The short answer is yes. It just depends on how in-depth you want to get. The simplest way would be to change the textures. Another method I've used is to turn the wheel limbs slightly, add smoke, and slow the car. That looks good, nice and wobbly. Finally you can use vertex manipulation to add real dents to the car. This method is fairly involved but is definitely doable. You could even expand this to include breakable pieces, limbs that fall off.

I feel though that you are a little confused about DP. DP is a physics engine, it won't do something like what you are asking for. You would damage the vehicle in response to things that happen in the physics engine but it is up to you to modify the model to show the damage.

Come see the WIP!
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:15
Thanks for the quick response. I do realize that DP is just a physics engine, but from what I can tell, it affects what you would normally do with objects. For example, if I want to point an object (vehicle) at something else, the command simply does not work with DP. I also tried making dented parts of the car under the original parts and assigned joints (limbs) to them both. Upon crashing into something, I tried to hide the outer limb so it would show the inner limb (i.e. the dented part), but again, it won't work. I tried making joints that would break using two objects (the basic car chassis with a smashed front end, for example) and it errored saying I couldn't use those objects for the joint.

I am new to DP, and perhaps my exasperation with it is getting the best of me. I think vertex manipulation is probably the way to go, as I would like to see the vehicles actually smashed in. Thanks for the ideas.

LBFN

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I would make each car have animated damage. Like the door has three states: new, damaged, and crushed. So when the vehicle takes damage, I program the door to go to a certain fram to show what type of damage just happened.

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:42
Nvidia demos (physics SDK) shows oil drums begining dropped and defromimg at the impact point, so it could be we not be given away of doing this, or the demo does then defroming some how.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:52
Bad Monkey
What modeling/animation program do you use (please don't say Blender)? I have tried to do this with Milkshape previously (just tried it again to be sure), but you cannot make changes to the model itself when in anim mode. When you make the changes in edit mode and go back to anim mode, the keyframes you set previously reflect the new changes. Also, are you sure DP will let you set the frame of the vehicle in-game? I tried it, and it doesn't work for me.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 11:20
LBFN how did you set the wheels in your model so that they rotate the right way. mine are rotating on the diameter in stead of the center of wheel, the wheels rotate into the car.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 12:56
HowDo
Funny, I had the exact same problem with the back wheels on a vehicle I made. This code:

had to be put in my game (where 2 = the vehicle object #) and it worked. Previous to this, I determined exactly which limbs the example code associated with the driver's side front wheel, passenger side rear wheel, etc. and plugged in the correct limb numbers for the vehicle that I had made.

LB

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 13:08
A cloth can be made to dent, there's a demo of it in the current beta update... I'm guessing it'd be rather intensive to have 12 or so cloth cars denting in realtime, but I haven't tried, so I wouldn't know.

Meh... The Speed doesn't make Comcast good...
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 13:30
Is that the metal cloth demo with the flag in it as well.

cheers on the vehicle info now got it going the right way and the steering seem to be turn the right way.

now to add some crates.

Twisted Steel Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 16:34
It's the cloth demo from the most recent upgrade, and the the cloth demo in the PhysX control panel thing.

Meh... The Speed doesn't make Comcast good...
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 12:41
Twisted Steel Software
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out to see if I can make it work and still have a decent framerate.

HowDo
Glad it worked for ya.

LBFN

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 01:53:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 01:53:41