Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Climbing ropes - Any ideas?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 21:49
Hello!

I am trying to figure out how to get the player in a first person shooter game to climb a rope.

What needs to be accomplised:
* swing along with the rope
* climb up and down
* if rope is attached to a dynamic body, then the weigth of the player will cause the dynamic body to move (so no "phy sleep rigid body" stuff will work.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking that maybe I could joint the player rigid body with the rope rigid body, but I don't know how successfull this will be.

I was also thinking of putting the playe rrigid body to sleep so I can use "phy set rigid body position" commands to climb the rope, but then I remembered that the player mass/weigth is removed. So you can't pull something down, like a dynamic box connected to the rope.

Btw, I am not using the dark physics character controller. I use a dynamic rigid body controlled by forces.

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 22:16 Edited at: 15th Jul 2008 22:25
I was able to climb the rope by positioning the player x,z planes at the same values as the closest rope limb. This cased swinging along with the rope to be possible.

Next I applied a force depending on W or S key inputs (up or down). This caused climbing up and down the rope to be possible.

The last point is at the moment impossible to me. As I can't seem to find a command or solution to how I can connect the player object with the rope.

Well, a thought that just came to me was to add a downwards force (the strength of the player mass) to the rope at the position where the player is located.
This should get the job done, but it's not "real" climb physics.

Edit,
Unable to test it out properly, cause I'm going out. But from what I could tell from the one test I did, it worked. When I get back I'll see if it acts on dynamic bodies the way I intended it to.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 23:19
What if you had a second hidden object, like a sphere large enough to make the rope swing, and joint it to the rope wherever the character is positioned? This should pull the rope down.

Come see the WIP!
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 23:49
theres the Point On Line Joint that I have seen in the ref manual

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2008 01:49
Thanks for the suggestions.
Anyway my idea worked, but it needs some minor improvements, that's all.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 00:51:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 00:51:01