Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Map jumping?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 00:49
This is a pretty obv question. Is it possible to 'Map-jump'. By this i mean say a point at one map (opening a door). Would put you onto another map in the location that the door would lead you? As in a sort of free-roaming enviroment FPS game, not levelled?

Cam Ownz You!!

www.gamingstuff.co.nr
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 00:54
Do you mean jump to different places on the same map or jump from one level to another?

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 00:59
I think (correct if Im wrong), He might be talking about teleporting from place on the map to another.
Try this script

CoZ

Crazy Cam10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:17
Um, no. Map to map. So the game wouldn't be 'levelled' for say. It would be more of a free enviroment

Cam Ownz You!!

www.gamingstuff.co.nr
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:24
Using Ply's Mod, this is possible with the NEXTLEVEL command, but not currently available in the official version.

Gunn3r Games
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 03:27 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 03:28
When you build your game select all the maps (levels ) that you made and put them in the right order. It won't work in test game but it will once you make it a standalone.

[url=][/url]The Ultimate Battle Mod, high fps, particles, and more.
Crazy Cam10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 10:50
I really don't think anyone understands what i'm going on about lol.
Right. Say i've built a big house. And theres a door at the part of the house. I open the door. Only to be transported onto a different level on the outside of the map. But at any time if i wish to go back, i can just go back into the house. So; a free-roaming enviroment in a way

Cam Ownz You!!

www.gamingstuff.co.nr
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 11:48 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2008 11:51
If you mean something like in an RPG where you go in and out of houses then no... (I'm assuming something like Neverwinter Nights where the 'outside' map is unloaded by the engine and then the 'inside' map is loaded and vice versa for when you want to go back outside...)

Using Plystire's mod could go someway to what you are trying to achieve, but not in the way you want it...
Crazy Cam10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 16:26
Aye, sort of. Damn. Ah well :/

Cam Ownz You!!

www.gamingstuff.co.nr
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 13:03
Quote: "Using Plystire's mod could go someway to what you are trying to achieve, but not in the way you want it..."

I thought with ply's mod you could do exactly that: having a "hub" level to which you can return anytime, for example.

Maybe plystire(the one and only) could shed a light on his nextlevel-command in detail!

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Couldn't you just change the door script so it teleports you to another area(Outside) then make that door the same, so it teleports you back(inside) and vice versa?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 13:56
@DaarBoven

The NEXTLEVEL command is used to set what level number we're going to next, the only problem is that there would be a loading screen in between levels, and unless you used a Boolean variable to check each object to see if it got destroyed/activated/whatever, when you return to a previous level, everything would "magically" be as if you never went there.......

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 14:52
@coffeegrunt

thanks for the explanation, and since ply's mod allows for a bunch of globals, a simple hub level to connect several "worlds" would be possible, right? Hard to keep track of all user progress when the game gets complicated, thought.

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 15:01
Quote: "I thought with ply's mod you could do exactly that: having a "hub" level to which you can return anytime, for example.

Maybe plystire(the one and only) could shed a light on his nextlevel-command in detail!
"

I believe that's what Plystire's mod would let you do too, but from the description I didn't think he wanted a hub level as such more a free roaming world...

If it is just a hub level, then he should download the mod and check it out...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 16:12
He basically made it so that anyone who could script would have so much more power at their fingertips to enhance their games.....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 23:39
Okay, here is how I made a free-roaming section in a test game I've done:

1) Make your different "maps", set the start markers where you want them to be
2) Place down temporary entities (preferably an invisible decal) where you want the "entrances" in the map to be.

Here comes the tricky part:

3) For all your exits, place a triggerzone in front of them in such a way that when the player goes to exit they will HAVE to go through that triggerzone. Now script that triggerzone to set a variable (I named this variable "startspot") as well as which "map" it's supposed to go to next. This part helps greatly if you have a list of which maps are going to be which Level Number.

Now, when the player walks out of the map in any of the exits, it will take them to the map they are supposed to be going to.

Hope you can get this far because this is the hardest part:

You may have noticed that even though your player is going to the right maps, they ALWAYS go to the start marker, and you may not want that. You may want them to appear at different spots on the map based on which map they came from. Here goes:

4) Remember those invisible decals we placed on the floor for all the "entrances"? You do? Good! Remember that "startspot" variable we were setting? Great! I bet you have no idea what to put in that variable, huh? Well, here's where you find out:

- That variable basically determines which "entrance spot" your player will be coming out of. I suggest naming your invis decals names that are specific to this variable's value. (I.e. "Entr_1", "Entr_2", etc)
- Now that each of your decals has a number assigned to it (Don't start at 0) this will be the value that you want to put into your variable when you want the player to appear at that spot.
- So let's say you have a map with two entrances, one of them is the start marker and the other is the decal named "Entr_1". Let's say the player comes INTO this map with the "startspot" variable set to 1... Because it's set to 1, we know they are supposed to go to the decal starting position and not the start marker. How do we determine this? Simple:

- Place a triggerzone AROUND your start marker, and script like this:

This script will basically activate the decal which your player should be going to. Now give the following script to your decals:

This script will reposition your player to the position of your decal, except for the y position. Meaning this will work perfectly IF all your entrances are on the same layer as your start marker. If they aren't then you'll need to fiddle around with "cameraposy" to get them repositioning correctly.

You may be wondering what the HUD named "black" is all about. Well this is just a fullscreen black HUD. Whent he level starts you don't want your players seeing you teleporting across the level, right? This will keep them from doing just that.

There... hope that gave a little bit of insight into how a free-roaming game could be accomplished.

Have fun!

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
Crazy Cam10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 11:42
o.o
I got to part 3, then i gave up. Will try in a little while, thanks ply ^_^
Will have to give you massive credits if it works :p

Cam Ownz You!!

www.gamingstuff.co.nr

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:22:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:22:08