Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Selling games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,
while i understand that you have to purchase a licence to sell any software created with the DarkGDK. am i correct in asuming that you can wait untill you actually have a finished game before purchasing the license. E.G. i spend 9 months making a game, create a webiste and shoping cart etc. THEN purchase a comercial license and add the game as a product on the shoping cart?
that would be acceptable right?

Would TGC accept some sort of royalty deal ? a percentage of sales instead ? or would they be willing to wait until the game made the money to pay for the license ? so say i made a game and sold it for $10, once i had sold 50 i could then pay for the license and then any further income would be mine ?

what about distributing a free game with the option to make donations if the person wishes ? would that count as sellng it ? or what about a free MMO for example that has micro transactions in game ? would that count as selling the game?

as this is mostly a hobby for me i think that these are relevant questions. if i spend enough time on it, it might be nice to get some aditional income but as i don't just have $499 laying about these questions are fairly important to that end...

Just wanted to clarify
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 17:34
generally with copyright you need a licence to make money from it. i guess you would have to wait untill you have the money for a licence. that or custom negotiate terms with tgc. I dunno if theyd do it however
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 17:45
Quote: "what about distributing a free game with the option to make donations if the person wishes ? would that count as sellng it ? or what about a free MMO for example that has micro transactions in game ? would that count as selling the game? "

I remember something about this awhile back. Someone asked the same thing. I believe the final conclusion was no, you can't make any money directly off of it whatsoever, donations or otherwise.

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 18:05
Mahoney is right about it.

What people tend to think is that you are just not allowed to sell the game with the freeware license, but if you take your time to read it with care, it says that you may not have any profit of any kind with your game, otherwise you should buy a commercial license.

But yes, you can develop a game with the freeware license and buy the commercial license only when you are ready to release it, IIRC, this was said once by someone from TGC.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 18:26
my only suggestion is to save up. i know $500 doesn't come out of nowhere, but after a few months, it shouldn't be that hard (assuming you have a job).

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 19:12
Bottom line is that you must have purchased a license *before* any money changes hands, even in the form of 'donations'.

As for the royalty thing, TGC are always open to discussion regarding you making money for them, however I wouldn't bother talking to them without a product (unless maybe you have a proven track record).

You can contact them via the business contact page

nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 16:22
Futhurmore to the above question IanM, I have a commercial licence to DarkGDK, but can someone just confirm there is no difference to the actual coding or anything, You just need to purchase the licence and thats it?

A Good Programmer never blames his tools
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 01:48
nrasool - I think you just need to purchase the license.

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 05:57 Edited at: 24th Aug 2008 05:58
The only difference is the license; there is no special update, no graphical interface, and no magical help system. (The typical rumors that I've heard)

My site, for various stuff that I make.
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2008 12:06
Nice one, many thanks for confirming it

A Good Programmer never blames his tools

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 05:22:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 05:22:58