Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] "he is coming..." Full Chapter!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 23:53 Edited at: 11th Jul 2009 01:15
"he is coming..." Chapter 1

Developed by
MadLad Designs

Story
You play the part of Nick Anderson, a sheriff of a small, quiet town. You come from a town seven miles away and your father is still the sheriff of your home town while you moved on to become sheriff of the town of Leeson. Every week you and your father meet up in a little diner part way between the two towns to discuss what’s been going on. Over the last few weeks your father has been telling you about strange goings on in your home town, people going missing, strange creatures seen, and he thinks it has something to do with the hospital as a lot of people have been taken in, never to be seen again. Your father has not turned up and the phone lines to the town are dead. Your shift has ended so you decided to head over to your home town to see what has happened to your father....

Sometimes homecoming isn’t so welcoming...

Here's a YouTube preview of an earlier version of the town: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1teUCsTEo.

And here's a the official "he is coming..." website: http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/heiscoming/

PRE-REVIEWS
“Great work Nickydude, gives off a real feeling of free roaming in a town which is not so easy to create with FPSC.” - Ross tra damus

“Dude, the town looks awesome--like a town you'd actually see in real life. Great job.” - Cardboard Box

“I really like the design. Went to peek around the corner of the starting point, but there were no empty leaks to the skybox to be seen. The city actually felt like a city, and not just a bunch of well-placed segments and entities.” - Roger Wilco

"Tried the game! And must say, its very nice to play a game made in FPSC that is this free roaming." - Cheese Cake

"My fave bit was the legs sticking out of the dog house" - Thraxas

BACKGROUND
The idea for the game came about because of a misunderstanding on how Silent Hill ended. I saw my friend play it, and because I didn’t see him complete it, my take on the ending involved a bunch of worshippers opening a gateway to hell and hell was ‘leaking’ into the surrounding town, hence the weirdness. It wasn’t until I saw the movie that I though “ah.. maybe not”. Trying to get the right balance between a believable town and having shooting bits was quite a head scratcher, I had to pull of some trick to get a fairly decent frame rate including spawning enemies only when needed and surrounding the entire town with an invisible segment!

Some of you may find it too slow to play, I'm sorry about that but it was a trade of between a realistic town (which uses most of the map) or a fast game, I tried to strike a balance and, although it runs a little slow, it's still playable.

This is Chapter 1 of 5 and is really just an ‘intro’ into the game as there’s not much to do (again this was all down to game speed) and hopefully there will be more puzzles and action in the subsequent chapters, Hospital, Car pack, Subway and Underground.

SPECIAL THANKS
Special thanks go to Airslide and Gunn3r for their beta testing and suggestions for it was their idea that the town should be ‘opened up’ more as I initially had it linear in which the player could only go one way.

DOWNLOAD
The download is in .zip format and is 170mb. Just unzip into its own folder and run the exe.

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 01:16
Sweet! Gonna download this ASAP...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 02:06
Ditto.....

Quote: "“Dude, the town looks awesome--like a town you'd actually see in real life. Great job.” - Cardboard Box"

No offense, but Cardboard Boxes are so boring they think anything's awesome.......

Nah, it's like Heroin for hardcore gaymaz....

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 02:22
Just tested it and it lagged quite badly, like most fpsc games do. The part where you get the fire axe and you go in through the back window, I couldn't get a hit on the crawling zombie with the axe and I got killed (I even crouched down and whacked him in his face, but nothing). The part just after the black cop cut scene, where there is a garden and a few trees inside, I got suck inside one of them, the leaves.

It would have been a good game if fpsc could handle it, which it can't.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 03:21
Downloading now, will review later.

.caliber
Arriving TBA 2008
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 03:26 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 03:28
Hey Nickydude iv been meaning to ask where you got those trees that are behind the fences. And there are cutscenes in this?

EDIT: Higgons....dude whats up with you and your sig.

RAMPAGE STOLE MY CHEEZ-ITS!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 03:37
Higgins is banned.Anyone who wishes to join him can drag this MR fight out wherever they wish as long as they wish to take a vacation.
Keep your petty disagreements off of the TGC forums.
My apologies to Nickdude again.
BTW
Since I ought to at least say something on topic...

I'm downloading this now.I'll check it out as soon as I get the chance.
This is a project I have kept my eye on so I can't wait to play it.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 03:40 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 04:09
The folder said that it's either invalid or corrputed. I'll try again.

EDIT: Game installed fine. Clicked New Game, fine. Loaded = lag and everthing stretched out. I was frozen, but could shoot. My video card's fione, my FPSC runs great, but this...this crash is a problem. Happened with the ETA demo, and it shouldn't happen ever agan.

.caliber
Arriving TBA 2008
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 11:58
That was pretty sweet Nickydude... I enjoyed it alot, I wish it had lasted a little longer in fact...

I had some bad lag at the beginning but after I killed the 1st Zombie it ran around 25-28fps until the end...

My fave bit was the legs sticking out of the dog house

Great Job
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice release. Whats the min specs for the demo?
Also if I can assist with lag I think you have my email.
Keep up the great work, as these are very nice outdoor street scenes based on your story. The 3rd pic shows great skills, the centre area of the pic looks ace.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 13:10
I though lag might be a major issue.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 14:38
Downloading now...and cant wait to play it

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 14:50
Then I hope you have a fast machine!

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 15:20
Yeah, no kidding about the fast comp requirement. My 2-year old rig chugged along with a 4-14fps rate. (Athlon 64 3400+, 3gb RAM, GE7300LE) That kind of diminished my enjoyment of this game... Even though I love the core idea of having an nigh-freeroam city in FPSC...

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 15:36
I'll try to speed things up, but this will mean more restricted town with less to do.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 15:47
*sigh* Shame, although the environment was awesome, the lag was near unbearable on my rig.......

I guess it really does show it's impossible to get a good town feel in FPSC.....

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 16:08
*ahem* My download for this game doesn't even work (read my above post). And I really wanted to play this.

.caliber
Arriving TBA 2008
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 17:30

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 18:31 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 18:35
Thanks Steve, that makes 4 newsletters I've been in

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 18:55 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 18:57
Andy, very impressive design. Though some items need adjustment (window boards, decals, etc) the design is outstanding and does give a great small town feel. More trash would be nice, but that's always been an issue and I know you're trying to keep the speed up as much as possible.

It took me a few times to play through (the "load game" errors for me and exits the program) and see what I hope was everything, and that's a good thing. I thought the framed picture of yourself and the Special Thanks Plaque were nice touches. LOL

I remain confused about the garden path and transporter. Does that play into the game at all or was it just to get "on top". I see you enclosed the town with an invisible dome, and I was able to walk around above for a birds eye view. That was cool! Did you happen to do a before and after and can you tell me how much that effected the frame rate?

It was nice to see the dog house and tree line in use, thought the path was too bright. I hope you are able to improve on the frame rate without any loss of free roam, which really makes for a good level.

Frame rate was playable from beginning to end, and as Thraxas said, improved immediately after killing the first zombie. Perhaps he could be omitted as a first step in speed improvement. From then on, I averaged mid twenties or better, though the lag was still noticeable in multiple areas. I would start by changing out some of the higher poly items for lower before restricting player movement whenever possible. I know you were spawning the AI, and it was not noticeable anywhere... a good thing.

Athlon 64x2 4200
2GB PC3200
GeForce 8600GT-512MB
Windows XP Pro

I'm glad I got time to play this, and I hope you continue to develop it.

Best.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 18:59
Looks nice, dude. I'll download it when I can.

^ Lol.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 19:26
Thanks Xplosys.

What's that you're looking at Inspire?

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 21:01
It's the main forum page. This topic appears as appears as nothing.

Gunn3r Games
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 22:20
Yeah, for me, too...

Make games, not war.
maikyy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 00:24
this game is in two words: FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!
lol i love this game, is chapter two in a sort of hospital or something??

sorry for my bad english (i am dutch)
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 00:32
I finally got this downloaded so I'm going to try it in a few.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 00:35
I'm guessing you'll be disappointed with the speed. It was created on a 3ghz Dual Core - 8800GTX 1gb graphics card.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "this will mean more restricted town with less to do"

Sorry to hear this, so the featured demo is unplayable for some then, no need to answer the min specs. All good.

Quote: "I guess it really does show it's impossible to get a good town feel in FPSC"

I would say that depends.

Anyway good luck with this one ND.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 01:36
Quote: "I'm guessing you'll be disappointed with the speed. It was created on a 3ghz Dual Core - 8800GTX 1gb graphics card."

That figures.The game froze (as in I spent several minutes waiting for my buttons on my pc to work).
Me and my ancient single core processor...
I did see Bond's zombie (as well as the mp5 gun of course) and what I could see looked good.
I have a single core with a 2400 pro.it doesn't quite match up to yours...lol.
When the migration is finished you'll probably be able to make this game quite playabe.Most of the lag is due to the inefficiency of the current engine.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 01:49
I plan to carry on with the other 4 chapters, releasing them one by one and by the time they are finished the migration should be well and truly in full swing and I'll redo all levels to make them faster.

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 10:04
Hmmm, maybe you should try it with Timers, s4mod or airmod or something like that, I can handle big open towns with buildings and stuff, with the same card as Coffee.

On an other note it LOOKS really good and I bet the game play is better!

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 20:51
Quote: "I remain confused about the garden path and transporter. Does that play into the game at all or was it just to get "on top"."

There are a couple of easter eggs in there, that's one of them, it allows you to roam above the town and see bits you're not supposed to see. The thanks plaque is another and there's also a gallery of pictures of me.

Quote: "Hmmm, maybe you should try it with Timers, s4mod or airmod or something like that, I can handle big open towns with buildings and stuff, with the same card as Coffee."

I was going to try the eFx but I've been using V1.13Beta4 and maps saved from that version don't load into any mod, and I certainly didn't want to do it all again! lol!

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 21:18
Quote: "Hmmm, maybe you should try it with Timers, s4mod or airmod or something like that, I can handle big open towns with buildings and stuff, with the same card as Coffee. "

You have a Radeon X1300?

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 00:27
Tried the game!
And must say, its very nice to play a game made in FPSC that is this free roaming.
I would have prefered weapons from MP's 9&10 and the ones in the store.
Since those are better quality.

Also in the beginning, i thought it was a bit to robotic how the zombie walked in a straight line.

But it had nice sound effects like the dog barking in the beginning.
That was very nice!

Very nice man! Cant wait for part 2!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 00:40 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2008 00:40
Quote: "Very nice man! Cant wait for part 2!"

Quote: "lol i love this game, is chapter two in a sort of hospital or something??"

I'm just about to start Chapter 2 - Hospital.

Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 02:28 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2008 04:15
Nickydude@ played this last night and the level design is really laid out well it acually gives you the feeling your in a real town, I liked the cut scene with the cop laying on the ground also, I only had a little lag right at the beginning about 21 FPS is the lowest it got for a second but right after I killed the first zombie the lag went away and ran great for the rest of the game, the only problem I had was I got running low on health so I saved the game in slot 1 then died right after that so I tried to load my saved game and the game crashed every time I tried to load my saved game?

Keep up the good work

Best
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 07:50
Quote: "You have a Radeon X1300?"

Yes,

@Nickydude:
I don't have to re-create my levels to work with mods...

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 12:47
Well I tried and as soon as it started loading my level into efx, I got an error about memory blocks and FPSC crashed.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I certainly didn't want to do it all again! lol!"

Good call, what's funny is I was going to suggest that in my last post.
I only say that, as I picked up in one of your posts you used invisible seg's, and from what I have found are good for preventing player access and glitchy AI. However a large amount would drag out the frame rate. I'm not sure why as I would have thought they act the same as normal seg's, and maybe do. Just wanted to let you know.
Also I am starting to notice strange rates with multiple saves. This may have alot to do with programs running at different times. Yet I am going to try and make a level with as minimal saves as possible and see what happens. May or may not do a thing.

All the best with Chapter 2.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 21:46 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2008 21:47
Looks like a nice game Nickydude.

Quote: "Higgins is banned."

I'm curious, why was he banned ?

Looks funny..
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 22:45
Quote: "Looks like a nice game Nickydude. "

Thanks.

Quote: "Why was Higgins banned?"

Because of his signature. it's something to do with the site Moon Rising which I won't go into here.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 22:55
Played the demo, I got around 25 fps, I would suggest you switch to mp9/10 weapons as the mp5 look bad compared to the other media.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 00:57
I don't have mp9/10, I have enough weapons, and you're supposed to be playing a small town sheriff, not 'Commando'.

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 01:07
Quote: "you're supposed to be playing a small town sheriff, not 'Commando'. "

lol
hey nickydude i sent you an email. Well done man! its simply awsome! can't wait for chapter two!

HMMMMMMM
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 01:21
Quote: "I don't have mp9/10, I have enough weapons, and you're supposed to be playing a small town sheriff, not 'Commando'. "

There are some basic revolvers and as for the slicing part..
you can retexture some of the knifes in the TGC store to be bloody.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 01:44
Quote: " I would suggest you switch to mp9/10 weapons as the mp5 look bad compared to the other media."

The model pack 5 weapons are excellent media as well and each has their usage.
So are the model pack 6 weapons.
As a matter of fact there are a lot of good weapons available.
Not every situation calls for a model pack 9/10 weapon or everybody's games are going to look the same.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 01:51
Quote: "Not every situation calls for a model pack 9/10 weapon or everybody's games are going to look the same."

you are right about that!
And MP 5 looks awesome and all..(i am a proud owner of MP5)
but Jon made these quite a while ago.
(and he learned much in time)
Cause those hands in MP5 look a bit too blocky and so do the weapons.

m man
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well I tried and as soon as it started loading my level into efx, I got an error about memory blocks and FPSC crashed."

I had the same problem, and what i did to get it to work was copy the (files) folder from the old EFX and all the stuff from the new one and it worked I have no clue why it has that error but that seems like the only way to fix it! LOL
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 22:40
Small town sheriffs have desert eagles? lol I am suggesting MP9 and 10 because they are a higher quality then MP5. MP5 is ok, but it has a lot of flaws and it doesn't look good when those flaws are up in your face.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 23:30
Quote: "Small town sheriffs have desert eagles?"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 08:22:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 08:22:41