Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / HUD Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 21:51 Edited at: 1st Nov 2008 19:30
EDIT: The competition has been made redundant. There are too many criticisms about the prizes, and what the competition involves.

Instead, I shall make the huds myself, although they will look rubbish, and add them to the setuplevel.fpi.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like another team request in disguise...

Don't click the image, it links to an image hosting site!
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 21:57
i agree with game maker

dude if you really want a turkey sandwich, then make one, and make ham.sdaF?
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 21:58
Exactly what i thought, i just didnt post incase i got flamed.

This is a lot to ask for, with not such a good prize. For all you know, YFPSD could crash and burn soon, and all the effort and scripting that people made for all these YFPSD offers are made reduntant.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 21:58
O realli?

It may sound like it, but its just im low on resources. I'm going to try machinima for cutscenes, but it's something a bit difficult.

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 21:59
And that is a LOT of effort and scripting we're talking about.

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "O realli?"

Yes really, you want all this:

Quote: "Health BAR (NOT numeric) which gradually narrows as your health goes down. Sort of: (<<>>> (<<>> (<>
Inside the bar you may notice a grey bar, this would be the armor variable. this should gradually narrowen too. Or it can be placed under the health bar for more effect.

Ammo CIRCLE (Not numeric)
Basically, a gradient circle from Orange to the tip, down to yellow and inevitably white, back at the top. Do you know what I mean? It goes round as the ammo depletes.

Level Up system (To be used in further YFPSD games)
Basically, a bar that goes up. But it should go up slower and slower as your level goes up. There should be a numeric variable to indicate the level, current experience, and next level experience. So a group of variables: Bar, Numeric x 3

Money system (To buy weapons)

Basically a variable to use in buying stuff.

and Objectives

A SCRIPT to acknowledge it all"

That's alot.

Don't click the image, it links to an image hosting site!
Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 22:01
Not really, all its doing is making a HUD. Heck, did I say you need to do everything? For all we know, Plystire could make the script, after all, he made the mod. I already owe him about 20k in sweets by now.

Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 22:04
The point is not many companies go very big, unfortunatley, when they use FPSC to produce non commercial games. YFPSD has a good chance of crashing a burning, no offense, because it really isnt your fault. I basically jsut think its a team request in desguise.

dude if you really want a turkey sandwich, then make one, and make ham.sdaF?
Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 22:19 Edited at: 31st Oct 2008 22:23
What more would you want as a prize? 100 pounds as a PayPal donation? Im not linked to a credit card account and my account has 0.00. Im sorry if the prize is rubbish. If you want, ill make the competition redundant and call upon the help of Plystire. Then i'll owe him 40k worth of sweets

EDIT: Upon further analysis, yes it is a sort of team request. Its a community help request. I just need help to get YFPSD onto its feet. Ive got potential buyers from my school who have seen previews of the game and really like it. Sorry if I seem like a leech

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 22:59
Quote: "Upon further analysis, yes it is a sort of team request. Its a community help request. I just need help to get YFPSD onto its feet. Ive got potential buyers from my school who have seen previews of the game and really like it. Sorry if I seem like a leech"

Well i guess thats this one shut down aswell i hope YFPSD goes well for you but about 90% of companies round here fail in the first 2-3 months. Its just the way it is.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 23:36
Yeah, but wont Plys Mod boost the quality of fpsc games? I mean, the last commercial one I saw was Anderson And The Legacy Of Cthulu. It got reviewed by PC Zone and received a dump award of 16/100. That was V1.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 23:39
Yeh but since V1.0 FPSC has improved allot.

PlysMod Will defiantly make the games run better. But not visually if you want that sorta thing the EFX is for you

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 00:15
Sorry to see this go down the tubes.

It is a bit much to ask for, though.... however, using the Mod the scripts are rather painless to create!

Here, I'll demonstrate:

Health Bar;

This will control both the Health and Armor vars and sets up the variables needed for them. A bit more coding and you could even have the Armor regenerate. I made a script for that some time ago in the script board... just do a search for "Armor" and you should be able to find it.

NOTE:
- This script assumes your maximum health is 500 and your maximum Armor is 500.
- The HUD will shrink towards the Left when damage is taken.
- The player's Armor will absorb ALL DAMAGE until it reaches 0, afterwards the player's Health will start taking the damage.
- The "Red Flash" when getting hit will still show up even if the player's armor is taking the damage.
- This script requires Ply's Mod V1.07 Beta2 (Not yet released, but will be soon)

Without the Armor, this script would be a single line long (Not including loading the HUDs and declaring variables)

If you want the bars to shrink towards the center or to the right, you'll just need to add a repositioning action on each line that scales the HUD.

I wouldn't expect people to know how to do this, since I haven't released the version of Ply's Mod necessary to achieve it... I just wanted to let everyone know how simple it will be to do.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 00:34
I agree, they are painless to make... if you know how to script. Sadly, my understanding of fpi only takes me so far, and so I can't define variables.
One question, which version of Plys Mod do I need to have the full HUD layout? (minus the minimap since its impossible to do)

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 00:49
All of the bars will need the next version of Ply's Mod. It'll be released soon.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 01:38
say, coffeegrunt. I tried your script pack for plys mod 1.06 and found an interesting result.
Buying weapons doesnt work.
Ive followed the instructions, applied the correct names, set to not spawn at start, and placed them near the clerk. What am I doing wrong?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 02:08
Odd, they work fine for me......

Are you sure you've got enough money?

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 14:59
Yeah, ive got enough. It buys the weapon, but I don't get the weapon added to my list of weapons. It also has the flag to stop me buying anymore, but thats about it. Also the health and adrenaline dont work either...
Loving the lightmaps though! Even without them, my game looks great, with a standard frame rate of 11-37.
Im now using X-Plain to try and understand FPI scripting. Sadly, im going to need some community help when it comes to the inevitable machinima scripting.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 15:19
Hmm.....

You did add the necessary lines into the setuplevel.fpi file, right?

I dunno what's up...

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 15:20
i replaced the setuplevel with the one you included in your script pack?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 15:26:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 15:26:53