Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Is this possible in FPS Creator - animation on TV Screen...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been working on a project for a while now which is due for release next year and i have a question...
is it possible to have an animation play on a 3d TV which i have sitting in my police office....

In short words, part of the story i want to have like a small animation of like CNN Showing there and the only thing that would be moving would be the womans mouth and i can just play an audio behind it....

Can i create like 5 to 6 frames of the same picture from CNN which i can get and movie the mouth and play the sound over it instead of using video

Do you guys get my drift...
Its a free game of course because of licensing purposes...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 18:12
Hmmm...not really.....

You could place a decal over the screen, but that'd just be 16 frames looping repeatedly.....

4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
but i should be able to play a sound over the decal as it would not be loud, voices and sound i have made already...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 18:26
Yeh, you'll be able to do that as well......

piXX3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 18:32
From what I believe you can make decals longer than 16 frames?

It's in the decalspec.txt...?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 19:06
No. Only 16 frames....

There's nothing in the decalspec for number of frames.....

4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
ok kool thnx alot guys, much apreciated...
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 20:13
Quote: "but i should be able to play a sound over the decal as it would not be loud, voices and sound i have made already... "

You dont have to put the sound in the decal. Just place a soundzone nearby.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 07:53
Quote: "No. Only 16 frames...."

Sorry, CG, but you can have a longer playing decal.

In the decalspec.txt file there is a "across" parameter... this will determine how many "frames" there are in the decal across, and due to a bug the "across" field also tells FPSC how many frames DOWN the decal is, too.

So, if you gave the spec file an across value of 5, it would chop up your decal image into a 5x5 grid and use those as the animation frames.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
alright, good responses people...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 02:16 Edited at: 5th Nov 2008 02:30
Quote: "Sorry, CG, but you can have a longer playing decal.So, if you gave the spec file an across value of 5, it would chop up your decal image into a 5x5 grid and use those as the animation frames."

Afraid not Ply.
It has been attempted many times to change these parameters they have no effect.
Unless things have changed with recent updates the limit for decals has always been 16 frames.
The 4across 4down has always been in use and is not a bug, Second life uses the same process for animation frames, although it is possible to have your frames in a single line in SL, 16x1, I dont know if the same thing can be achieved in FPSC. I do know that it is possible to extend this in SL with an additional script to 64 frames maximum, which is the reason I make the comparison.
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
You could always just have multiple decals activated and deactivated by script. It would get annoying, but it wouldn't be too hard unless you have like 100 frames of animation.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 03:57
@rolfy:

I don't know why people had such a hard time with it... but even without altering the source, I was able to have a 6x6 decal (36 frames). The only thing I did to the decal portion of code was fix the fact that the "down" field didn't do anything. The code had it set that the engine read your decal image as "across x across" and not "across x down" as it should have... so, after that I was able to have non-square decal images.

But, yeah, enough about what I did... I had no problems making square decals and using them by changing the "across" field as I mentioned earlier.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 09:29 Edited at: 5th Nov 2008 09:41
Thats interesting Ply, I do know that changing these parameters didnt work if you increased the frames, this was common knowledge at one time many folks including myself tried changing it with the same results, my own attempts if I remember correctly may have used 8x8 which might be too many frames right enough.
You say you used 6x6 that means you managed to increase the frames using acrossxdown which for me didnt work at all, of course myself and others tried this a long time ago and might depend on the version of FPSC used, or you were within limit.
If the down field doesn't actually do anything then how come it reads the acrossxdown frames correctly, you lost me here, especially since you say you achieved this without changing the scource.
I can get you changing the code to read only across as I say I have seen this in use, but without changing anything wouldnt 16x1 linear work anyhoo.
Have you found what the limit is for linear frames?
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 10:48
Looking into the source, there doesn't appear to be a limit... but you MAY not want to go too extreme since the way the decals work is by actively changing the UV mapping of the decal on a flat plain and it would entirely rely on the size of your image. (Obviously, the bigger image you use, the more memory you're using up)

This is what I mean by the "down" not working but it still reading it correctly:

Across and Down are supposed to tell FPSC how many frames "across" and how many frames "down" you have in your decal image, right? Well, FPSC reads those in just fine! However, when UV mapping the plain, it doesn't use the "down" property, it instead uses "across" for all the calculations.

To put this into an example - You put in 7 for "across" and 3 for "down"... this means you have 21 frames, right? But instead of chopping up your image into a 7x3 grid and texturing it like that, FPSC just uses "across" for both dimensions and chops it up into a 7x7 grid, creating 49 frames! But sinc it use the "down" to calculate frame count, it will only play the first 21 of those 49 frames that it made.

The one and only,

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Ply, thanks for the info, I understand what your saying here, but using those calcs the 8x8 should have worked with no issues and I swear I wasnt the only one to try this a while back, it just didnt work8
It may be something you would want to consider for a future update to your mod is finding a way to apply animation to a surface, and not just the plane thats used for decals. Would open up a lot of possibilities
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 22:13
Yeah, it may be that Lee fixed it sometime after everyone tried... I did it with V1.07.

Indeed, that would be a great addition to the Mod, however.... In order to achieve that, I would need to code in a way to read the UV mapping set up on the model, store it all in some fashion, and then dynamically re-UV Map the entire thing on the fly.

But now that I'm thinking about it, that may be the generic approach, but I may have a beter way to do it. Not sure how it'd fair for speed but the code would be much simpler.... perhaps it'd be something for V1.08

For a simple static TV, you'd be better off just making two textures with two different "static" on the screen and have it's script just quickly flicker back and forth between them.

The one and only,

4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
kool convo...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Even a simple planar mapping would be ideal as I was thinking of waterfalls and rivers and such, but conforming to terrain shape, since these could be simply planes anyway with conform and noise applied. One thing required would be abilty to tile animated textures.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 17:30:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 17:30:39