Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK Upgrade - November 2008

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 13:57
@ Morcilla,
I ask only to try to optimize when the time comes for speed.

If dbExcludeObjectOn() removes an object from the checking loop then it will be the fastest mode for the game.

dbSetObjectMask() obviously has to stay in the checking loop so it can be determined what camera that object is being hidden from, or visiable to.

It is dbHideObject() that has me confused about how it performs game speed wise. Does it have more speed impact or less speed impact, or the same game speed impact to dbSetObjectMask() for all cameras masked, that is my basic question.
I am just a bit worried that dbHideObject() might still leave the object in the Camera Frustum culling procedure even though it is hidden.
Alfie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 06:48 Edited at: 26th Nov 2008 07:07
So happy to see updates happing xD Thanks so much!

Are the terrain problems (deleting, saving and so on) fixed in this update?
Marmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Help, I installed the update, now I can't even compile (had 33 erros) and I can't even reinstall Dark GDK. When I tried it said "Insert disk 1 which contains setup.ini", I downloaded Dark GDK, how can there be a "Disk 1"?? Any help appreciated.
thanoulas
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there, first post here, so apologies if this is a known bug, i searched throughout the whole forum though.

I have an ATI HD3650 card, and i have noticed that the dbSetDisplayModeAntialias for multisampling is not working when i load a sprite. The function that seems to disable the antialias is dbSprite, when i comment this out, multisampling is OK.
I have the latest DarkGDK with the second update that was posted here.
Stazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 19:18
Hi All! I cant find the release notes for the update.
What all did this update do ? Can we now use the delete terrain function ?

Adam Androulidakis
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 05:08
Quote: "The function that seems to disable the antialias is dbSprite, when i comment this out, multisampling is OK."

Are you sure of this.
I don't use sprites at all, and (using any late model ATI/AMD video card) AA refuses to activate with dbSetDisplayModeAntialias() for me on any of my machines.
CPPP
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure if this is a related problem:
New to GDK(not new to C++ though). Downloaded it a week ago or so.
Have tried all 3d tutorials and everything works, except the advanced shader tutorial.
I builds with no errors, but some warnings and when it runs, no objects is displayed.
Just a black screen.
Downloaded Dark Basic Pro trial and the shader demo there ran fine, so it's nothing with my hardware or drivers.

Is this "official download" I did of GDK the latest buggy version?
If not, what is wrong? Since this is one of the more interesting tutorials and since I can't find anything that is wrong.
I'm planning on ditching the shader functons in GDK all together in favor of using nvidias GC. There is an excellent book and lots of documentation about GC at nvidia anyway, so maybe it won't be that hard in the long run...
thanoulas
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are you sure of this.
I don't use sprites at all, and (using any late model ATI/AMD video card) AA refuses to activate with dbSetDisplayModeAntialias() for me on any of my machines."

Yes, i'm pretty sure. It was enabled (i've set it at 4x so the difference is more than obvious when it's deactivated). Try it with the latest radeon drivers and set the AA in the drivers in the application settings and the Catalyst A.I. Off.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 14:10 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 14:13
@ thanoulas,

I think you may be correct.

After a closer look at my code:

My application never let AA be enabled by the "dbSetDisplayModeAntialias ( 1024, 768, 32, 1, 4, 0);" functiion.

The reason is that I have been using "dbPasteImage ( 901, 0, 0, 1);//update 2D cockpit to Front" , to paste an image to the screen while in the game.

Whenever I removed the pasted 2D image from the screen and made sure there never was a 2D image to the screen, then the AA would work properly.

As soon as a 2D image gets put on the screen, the AA would disable and stay disabled for the rest of the game.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 02:27
My screen capture routine

Using "dbSetDisplayMode ( 1024, 768, 32 );" , everything is fine.

Using "dbSetDisplayModeAntialias ( 1024, 768, 32, 1, 8, 0);" The game locks up when I do a screen capture and system produces the following error message.
"Tried to read a surface which has no read permissions!"
chanchan
Years of Service
User Offline
so, newbie should say away from update I guess...

Always learning
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2008 23:03 Edited at: 26th Dec 2008 23:03
dbCl doesn't work so I cannot get the command line arguments. Shouldnt be to hard to fix

atomic knights
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 21:01
Hi,

in the post by LeeBamber, it was stated:
Quote: "As so a list of changes, there are hundreds of very tiny ones that happened on the DBP side, so you can imagine how impossible it would be to repeatr them all. For some rough ideas, check out the last five updates of DBP as the code changes from those fixes will indicate many functional differences."

Does anyone know where I can find the last 5 updates for DBP?

Is there an update that either puts the new functions in the Dark GDK.chm or a new help file?

thanks
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 01:48
Does this have anything to do with this:

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
any news when the actual update that reflects the recent merging with dbpro will come out?
Orac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 14:16
I noticed from the new header file "DarkGDK2.h" that there are three new functions available. DarkGDKStart, DarkGDKInit and DarkGDKEnd. Is there any info available on what these do and how to use them? In another post I was asking about the possibility of doing stuff before DarGDK initialises and creates its window, these function names suggest it may be possible.

There are only 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
According to the January Newsletter you can execute C++ code before DarkGDk starts. Most probably it's those commands.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 18:12
Quote: "In another post I was asking about the possibility of doing stuff before DarGDK initialises and creates its window, these function names suggest it may be possible."

I'm not sure exactly what you'd be interested in executing before DarkGDK but that subject came up before with someone who needed to initialize his, IIRC, Wii. Something in the DarkGDK was making it impossible to reserve a resource once DarkGDK began. The solution I provided was to define a class (Wii?) and declare an object of that class globally. The constructor of the class would run whatever initialization routine he needed before Winmain() (or DarkGDKMain()) kicked in because global objects must be instantiated before the program begins functioning. However, I have found that declaring some DarkGDK functions before the DarkGDK function is entered can cause problems due to lack of DarkGDK support.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Orac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 17:20
I was wanting to use some compiled-in resources. I'm trying to use the functions FindResource() and LoadResource() but although they work fine and as expected in a normal Win32 project, FindResource() fails in a DarkGDK project and therefore LoadResource() cannot be used. I've tried putting the code right at the top as the first to be executed, but no joy.

Of all the things I've lost .. I miss my marbles most of all.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 18:39
Quote: "but no joy."

How does the lack of joy manifest itself? During compile time? During the linking? What error do you get and when?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Orac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 09:29 Edited at: 20th Jan 2009 14:45
The project compiles and links fine, no warnings, no errors. When the program runs, the function FindResource() returns a null pointer, i.e. it can't find the specified resource.

EDIT: In an earlier post I was enquiring about the usage of 3 apparently new functions, DarkGDKStart, DarkGDKInit and DarkGDKEnd. Well I've searched the library files and can't find any reference to them, when I try to compile with them I get a linker error, symbols not found.

Of all the things I've lost .. I miss my marbles most of all.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
will we ever see a proper 7.1 version of dgdk any soon?
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I second that! Will we ever see these two products updated together?

Cheers,
-Try
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
exes compiled using the new version do not work on Vista

however dbpro 7.1 exes seem to work fine.

i guess we need the update more than ever now
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I just found out that the new November update introduces some new dependencies, which are not being statically linked to the exe in VC++ hence do not work on installations that don't have visual C++ installed. maybe someone can be kind to let us know which are these dependencies so that exes will work on vanilla XP installs
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 18:20
I think it's a beta, and it introduces major problems with memblock meshes and/or locking/manipulating mesh also... "Breaks" is the best word to describe what it does.

I haven't tried to narrow it down - I just went back to the Stable Stuff I've been using prior.

TGC wil nail it - but its not there yet.
--Jason

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i am not using memblocks and meshes, so if i manage to solve the dependency issue, i can use the new gdk, which has some important functions i need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Problem: The Manifest file is somehow not being included even if EMBED MANIFEST in the MANIFEST TOOL properties is set to YES.

Putting the file Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest in the same folder as the exe solves the problem.

However is there some option in VC++ Project Properties that I can tweak to force the manifest to be embedded or is this something that has to be fixed inside DarkGDK?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anyone tried this upgrade with Dark Shader?
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 00:54
I have it works fine , you must make sure the shader model is 2.0 or greater , otherwise it crashes on some .

chunks

nvidia geforce 8600gt + amd athlon 64
windows xp pro.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 23:31:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 23:31:09