Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / full bitmap vs Tiles

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 15:47
this might have been covered before... is there any REAL difference between a 40MB Bitmap and 40MB worth of tiles? the only thing i can think of is the ability to unload certain tiles, but this seems like a lot more complex code as i have a 4000x3000 bmp that i had scrolling in minutes...

Saving the world, one bit at a time.... Wait it's not worth saving. Get your own bits!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 16:19
When you put it like that, then no. But you can reuse tiles, so the comparison is more like a 40MB Bitmap to 10MB worth of tiles.

Kilrath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 17:02
but in terms of a decent working game is it worthwhile for me to figure out the code for tiles over using big bmps?

Saving the world, one bit at a time.... Wait it's not worth saving. Get your own bits!
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 22:23
Quote: "but in terms of a decent working game is it worthwhile for me to figure out the code for tiles over using big bmps?"

If you're going to have a one-level game a large bitmap would probably be fine. But if you're going for something more like Mario it's going to be something like 200MB of backgrounds or 15MB of tiles.

I guess it depends on your skill level. If you think you could, eventually, get a tiling system to work, you should certainly do it. Otherwise, just use a big background and focus on the rest of the game.

(PS: Tile systems really aren't that hard )

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 02:17
Even with large maps, it would probably be best to break it up into several tiles and only render ones that are on screen. Ever play Sacred?(first one) One level..that was huge! I'm pretty sure that's what they did, since the main level file was 800mb...and that wouldn't make sense to have it all loaded.

You could even make a huge map, then use the 'get image' command to break it up in-game.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 02:28 Edited at: 9th Feb 2009 02:29
Tile-based is the way to go. With a 1MB PNG image with about 200 tiles you can have dozens of totally unique maps, whereas doing that with entire images for each map can take a LOT of space as well as a lot of time to load. Plus with tile-based maps, you can have them change in real-time. For instance you could, say remove a piece of furniture from a home by replacing it's tiles with floor tiles. You can remove an entire house from a map by replacing it with dirt and grass in real-time. You can break holes in walls by replacing them with floor tiles. Really if you plan on your game getting any bigger than a small 1-map minigame you pretty much are forced to use tiles.

Oh, and tile-based map systems are actually pretty easy as bmaczero said. However if you decide to take this path and need help feel free to ask us questions.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 03:47
I Actually just made a tile editor and functions to load them into your game in like to days lol so its not that hard to do. your best bet would be to get a tilebased editor (like the one i made PS. not perfect hahahaha) or make one yourself and then you can just load in the collision for each tile and the positions for that tile. i made a 640,480 map with a 180,20 bitmap and a text file lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:17:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:17:16