Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / How to make Textures??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 07:40
I want to find a way of making good seamless textures are there any tutorials anywhere. or doesn anyone have some pointers

2.0Gh AM2 Processor, 9800GT, 2Gb Ram
DsarchyUK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 12:05 Edited at: 9th Feb 2009 14:47
Edit 13:45 9th Feb

Some programs like gimp have filters like "make seamless" that can used to create seamless textures.

Google gimp, its a free Photoshop alternative.

Its a horrid picture I know but it shows how to use the filter. I did it for a friend a while back: http://dsarchy.deviantart.com/art/PixelARTSeamless-Tile-Tutorial-108934395

This normally only works for textures without any definable pattern, rocks/sand etc. If you want to create more complex seamless patterns your going to have to offset the image and then Clone/Repair the edges. Here is a tutorial that shows you how to do just that: http://www.cadtutor.net/dd/photo/seamless/seamless.html. For more stuff on that just google 'Seamless Patterns'

Hope this helps. If you just have a crack at it and post your work I would be happy to help you out with anything I can.

http://dsarchy.deviantart.com/
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 15:13
For seamless textures I only use Paint Shop Pro 9, it's got just the right level of simplicity to do this stuff quickly without needing automated filters.

On a solid image, say a wall photograph I would cut out a square, trying to think about what you grab inside it - like if it's bricks then try to get the scale right so it repeats.

Then I select half of the image, splitting it horizontally so you get a top and bottom half - then I flip the selection, invert it to select the other half, then flip that as well. So the part of the texture that is fine, the middle, has been switched to the top and bottom edges and you know that they are seamless. Just a matter of using the clone brush to get rid of that new seam in the middle. Try and get rid of this while keeping the texture neat.

Now once the middle seam has been clone-blended in, you could scroll that image vertically and it will repeat. It's then a case of doing the same thing but splitting vertically this time, and working with a left and right half, mirroring instead of flipping.

Once the vertical split has been done you should have a fairly tileable texture. I tend to split vertically then horizontally again but at 3/4 and 1/4 sections so that the image is offset and any problems will end up in the middle, not at the sides. Once you've done this the middle of the texture can be adjusted as long as you stay away from the sides. For instance a slightly darker patch will ruin your seamless texture as it becomes an obvious repeat when you see it a hundred times on the screen. So clone out any nasty bits you think might cause problems, fix the colour, get it as neat as you can get it.

Once you know these techniques there's no real need to use filters - in fact this technique lets you adapt to the shape more neatly and with practice you will get great results doing this. Irregular shaped bricks for instance can be cloned entirely and that's a great way to keep your texture looking believable - it does take time but the results tend to be worth it.

I wrote a seamless texture art package years ago, but the one thing I loved the most from it was that scroll feature - you could just right click and drag the texture about the place. It would be great to see that feature in art packages, would make this sort of work so much simpler I think .

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
hookkshot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 17:01
u wouldnt still have the art package haha

na that is the best way of explaining it going to go try it out now

2.0Gh AM2 Processor, 9800GT, 2Gb Ram
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 04:57 Edited at: 14th Feb 2009 04:59
Check this out:

It's much the same as Van B said, just another way of explaining it if you still need more info.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_65.html#12

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 03:35:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 03:35:10