Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Help Making a Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 13:50
Hi guys, I want to make a game using FPSC X9, but they never look proffesional. May you please give me some advice? Thanx

I posted a picture of a screenshot I took

A single drop of water can mean a drained ocean for future generations

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 15:03
Come on, the rickrolling thing was hilarious! I was laughing so hard when I clicked it

DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 15:03
Sorry about the above post, complete accident

DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 15:05
Um... here it is in .JPG, forgot. btw, the people aren't enemies

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 15:12
The picture needs to be in .jpg format, and since I'm not going to stop and download it, I can't give you any advice. Also, this thread belongs in the product chat forum.

Shaun Of The Dead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 18:41
youve posted in the wrong area, post in the FPSC Work In Progress area.

Shaun

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 19:29
Quote: "youve posted in the wrong area, post in the FPSC Work In Progress area"

I dont think so, he is asking for help, not showing off his game ( i think)

Shaun Of The Dead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 19:32
ok, but if anything, it should be posted in product chat, not models and media, im my opinion

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 19:49 Edited at: 12th Mar 2009 19:51
Well you DO need help your level design from the looks of things are um er..Well..."Lets put this here, OOOOH that thing looks cool let put it here for no apparent reason" Design isn't going to get you far.

No one can teach you level design you can only learn the laws and guidelines with regards to level design and apply that to your own work.

So your best bet is to play games and look at how people created that pillar or that tree where they placed that tree.Is the tree there for a reason? does it cast a shadow dark enough to hide a secret entrance or to pull focus away from the game so that a enemy entity can crawl up from behind and fight the player.

Then play some more games and takes notes of props used how many and where ect.

Then get your self a good book explaining level or game design fundamentals.

Then start looking at games created by FPSC users and try recreating that in your own work.

Learn from other people;s design it's the quickest way to learn.

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 00:34
thanx guys, but I can't really move this post, so let's just deal with it (no meaniness intended.) btw, my pic IS in .JPC format. Also, I'll look for a book on level design. Thanx for comments

Weasel
Years of Service
User Offline
It might just be the lighting, but it looks like the edge of the map on the right. You might want to fix that.
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
1st - Make the lights beige

2nd - Evenly space out the towers in a logical pattern

3rd - Change fog color
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 23:59
FPSC can make really great looking games! For example E.L.E : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=137567&b=25

All it takes is time and patience. Being artistic helps but modelling your own models, although hard is really worth it. And you should check out caligari truespace, it has now been released free and has many tutorials you can use to learn how to be a good modeller.

Use lights, they make a game so much more realistic. Also textures... you could have a pretty basic model and make it look professional by adding a great texture.

Optimise your game so you get the best performance, try not to use large open areas, and use doors, different layers and corridors that arent straight also help speed up gameplay. Also dont have too many dynamic entities in one area, any object that can be static, make it static! And turn of any unnecessary physics.

And just browse the forum, there are many great tips on how to make things look better!

However tedious it may be, the amount of work put it will be the amount you get out. With determination and perseverance almost anything is achievable!

Hope it helps!

Wizzkid

FireBASIC - The Heart of Great Programming - http://firebasic.ablazegaming.co.uk
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 00:39 Edited at: 21st Mar 2009 00:39
Quote: "No one can teach you level design"

Wrong! You don't even have to leave this site:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=61947&b=19
is a great resource for the theory behind it, and Phil Co's book "level design for games" is an in-depth resource
on level building (though he focuses on the unreal engine in the practical part it's useful in the theory parts.)One rule of thumb is:
come up with a (can be very short) level narrative before you even fire up FPSC- something in the line of
"Luke switched on his lightsaber as he entered the gloomy maintenance corridors of lord vaders battleship."This little sentence gives you some valuable guidelines of the setting(Scifi-Spaceship),the overall architecture(small,winding corridors full of tech stuff),the lighting(gloomy, greenish,blue,tech style),player and enemy style (close combat with lightsaber). A lot of stuff for one sentence,huh? Now collect reference pics, make some cool textures and start with a rough version of your level, only the main architecture, unlit. then flesh it out with credibility in mind-which entity makes sense in which place, what does this console control, why is this barrel there...set up interesting combat places with enough room to get your player going but small enough to keep him engaged. put in some obstacles in between, and reward him with health,ammo or pickups for overcoming them....then ad lightning and test it, test it again and let some friend or family test it too...until you are satisfied with it. Wow, long speech, I'm thirsty....

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 05:30:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 05:30:53