Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Terrain problems!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I've built a terrain, but it has some spots that aren't supposed to be able to get on/to. I need help on using COLLISIONS.

"A job well done is a well done job."
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 17:22
Not much info to go on there.

You might look at the terrain height where the character/camera are located versus what it is after you move and only allow movement if the Y increase is below a certain amount. This assumes that you have significant increase in height in your walls, mountains, etc.

Depending upon the size of the area, you could place a box or plane on each side of it, hide them and check for collision with them. You could make one large box to cover it all if it is a square or rectangular area.

You could also check the world coordinates and make sure that you do not enter a particular area. For a circular area, you could use vector3 to check distance.

Hope this helps. If not, please post more info / code.

LB

So many games to code......so little time.
ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i have the terrain set up with fences built into it. I don't want to be able to go over or through them, but to go through the gate when enough force is applied.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 01:33
This really isn't the right Board to ask this. Which programming Language are you using?

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 16:37
ScapeSta:
I assumed you had made a terrain from a heightmap and detailmap, but now it sounds like you made an object (.x or .3ds). Please clarify.

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry i'm new to this programming stuff. BiggAdd i'm using Visual c++ and dark GDk. LBFN I am using wings 3d to make the terrain because i can't find a free terrain maker.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 02:17
ScapeSta:

Yeah, it would be better to post about this on the Dark GDK board, as it is more of a programming issue. You're making an object that can be used as terrain, whereas an actual terrain is technically different. I would try to help if I could, but I'm a DBP guy.

Good luck,

LB

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 02:51
I'll move this to the DarkGDK Boards, they may be able to offer a little more coding insight to your collision problems.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 03:17
err with dark gdk we use sparkys collision, i believe you can setup darkphysics to handle your collision aswell

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks BiggAdd! =) ! Ok thanks kklouzal, Could you give me a link to download sparkys collision because i belive it's free. Thanks!

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 11:09
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5
do a forum search in future

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Nah. I like other ppl to do my work