Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What's with this?!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 03:57
So far this has been the second time that this has happened but in not quite the same way

When I press the little green arrow inside visual studio express 2008, my project compiles into release mode.
From here I can continue to login to my program.
Select a character.
That character loads into the world and I can move around and do everything that i've programmed the program to do.

Afterwords, I manuver into my project folder then copy and paste my media folders etc into my release folder, then double click the .exe
When this happens I can continue to log into my program.
Select a character.
BUT! Then nothing, just a blue screen, my skybox has dissapeared and all I see is blue.
I can look over to the server's console screen and see that the player's position is in fact being updated and rotated when I should be moving on the client screen.
But the client's screen is just blue, not to mention a considerable amount of performance drop on the entire computer once this happens.

This has also happened another time, just not this severe. I can't remember what I did last time to fix it nor would it probably help in this situation...

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 04:38
It sounds like the relative paths have been changed in some way, make sure that you aren't linking to some file that is no longer in the same relative location.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 04:45
They are definatly in the correct locations.
Why would my skybox be dissapearing? The skybox is created when the client is started up and never goes away until the program is exited, but here it is simply vanishing mid-program...along with other things...

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 07:15
You said that you copied you media files from where they were to your project's release dir....

Instead of moving you media, maybe you could try moving the EXE to the media. I usually move my EXE from its release folder to the project source folder to save copying my media, which is considerably larger than my exe's lol..

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 08:48
I've done it that way in the past, but just to make sure I tried it a few different ways, always making sure all the media was in the relative location to the .exe file, and it is. =/

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 09:53
Have you tried moving the exe to a level above or below just to see what happens?

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 10:08
Yes, and it has worked this way in the past.

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 10:56
I have solved it!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 11:03
Great! What was the problem?

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 13:38
Well, my camera's position past a certian point depends on where their player model is, and where their player model is depends on where the server tells it to be, the server was telling the client where it should be, but then when that got set to its actual variable, the variable wasn't being properly created in the first so the variable was changing to some wierd value moving the player outside the sky box and far away from any models, so of course all i could see was blue

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:55:59
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:55:59