Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / [LOCKED] Suggestions on new HIGH-TECH Vid-Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 02:50 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 00:06
Here is the outlines for my new game I AM creating ( or at least starting ) Here is the outlook:

You are a newly-come marine.
You are in the middle of a war.
You can go on missions when assigned.
You can scroll along at daily life.
You can "invent" different items.
You can make business'.
You can make buildings/landscapes/vehicles/towns.

Here are the features:

1. Individual finger movement ( not that it's needed )
2. Wind/Momentum "WhipLash" that waves individual hairs
3. High-Tech armor that you can take off, switch, or "Upgrade", that has a feature when the "bullets" hit the armor, depending on momentum/design, it will either richochet or go through leaving a hole.
4. A range of vehicles such as Cars, Bikes ( motor/pedal ), Tanks, Hum-Vees, Space-Ships, Planes, Helicopters, Ships, Submarines, and any others that you will mention that I have forgotten.
5. A range of weapons with diferent ways of reloading, firing, and holding .

Post for ideas and HELP ON HOW TO START!!!!

"A job well done is a well done job."
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 02:59 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 03:14

Im fed up of posts like this on the DarkGDK board.

Learn to program not just come up with crap ideas.

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
... This is my way of learning. I make a goal, I blow through the goal, then I make a harder one...

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
A lot of people do the same thing, but they start with something less bold. Start with pong or space invaders or something.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:38 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 22:40
If you can show code for the basic of 3,4 and 5 someone just might take some notice, other wise join the club of great ideas but no knowledge of doing it.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:43
This is how it works:
1) You make a game, or at least get MOST of it working, WITH screen-shots
2) If (1) failed. YOU FAIL (That's what happened here)
3) You can post it in WIP to get feedback (It must be something that people actually care about, not a program that multiplies two numbers together for example)
4) Complete the game taking into account the feedback
5) Once you have a reasonably stable, polished game, you can post it in the PA boards to show it off

AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 00:03 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 00:03
Quote: "2. Wind/Momentum "WhipLash" that waves individual hairs
4. A range of vehicles such as Cars, Bikes ( motor/pedal ), Tanks, Hum-Vees, Space-Ships, Planes, Helicopters, Ships, Submarines, and any others that you will mention that I have forgotten."

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. I guess you guys just can't help me here. Obviously you guys don't know how to.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 00:48 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 00:51
Hmm, you do realize that there is no magical script like

Because assuming this will be your first attempt at a game i don't think you know what really goes into making a game. So do what puppy of kosh suggested and start small. Or you could check out Game Maker because that's where i started and it gives a fantastic introduction to what makes a game and such.

EDIT: Now that i saw your other post (which you probably shouldn't have made) i now know that you know something about programming but judging by that post you still don't know enough to do something like this game.

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
heyufool1: Yes I know that my goal is kinda... idk... out there. But I am very young ( as in junior high young ) so I have a pretty hefty ammount of time to learn and program, and I want to finish the game described above as my first published game in about 10-20 years time, so I can kinda go for the goal. It's not excaclty the programming that I don't do well, it's the actual designing the charector weopons and what-not. After my laptop broke I don't have the software to do that ( besides wings 3d ) so I am using the 10 years time to do that and perfect it. I know i should start with pong, but I go for it at the start. I've always done it and I can't stop now, now can I?

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
And really the only "Hard" 1-2 up there, and the daily life part of it.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 21:02 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 21:12

I reallllllly think you should reconsider this little goal/dream of yours. You obviously have little/no experience programming because if you did you would understand how completely insane this idea is--especially if you plan on doing it in DGDK.

Quote: "Obviously you guys don't know how to."

You're right. I'm sure very few of us understand the physics involved with programming strands of hair that move in the window. Very few of us understand the programming and design involved in creating dozens of unique vehicles. Very few of us know how to code realistic armor that punctures realistically and ricochets bullets correctly. And none of us know how to combine those elements into a game.

So I will point you to a resource that I think will be much more helpful for someone like you:

http://www.penddraig.co.uk/pen/tests/sanity.htm

i like orange
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 21:09 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 21:14
And leaving holes in armor would be hard, and assuming you would want proper vehicle physics then all of number 4 would be hard. Although one easily reachable goal is number 5. For that you just create a struct assigning various variables for each gun:

Then when you shoot you would do lets say:

And to change weapons:

I'm not sure if you are exactly asking for code but that's a simple weapon system outline. Good luck!

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:05 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 00:06
AndrewT: I really know that this is probably going to drive me insane ( as in hair-pulling, eye-poking type of insane ) trying to complete this, and I know that the idea is very crazy because not even microsoft really did anything like it in Halo ( although I love the body armor ). And I don't know a lot but if you use TrueSpace couldn'y you make a skeloton consisting of the "hairs" with the different movements and then loop then with different wind angles ( variables )? And I like the site =) ( i got 23.9% ).

Heyufool1: I think ( but probably not true ) that there is a code script that leaves the area where a certain object went through. Right?
Thanks for the codes. I will use them later =).
And here is the script I have developed.

pretty organized hus?

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:16 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 00:16
Quote: "And I don't know a lot but if you use TrueSpace couldn'y you make a skeloton consisting of the "hairs" with the different movements and then loop then with different wind angles ( variables )?"

Are you talking about modeling each hair, rigging it, and animating it blowing in the wind at every possible angle? Yes, you could, but it would take ages to do and would result in a massive file that would take forever to load, not to mention it would probably crash DGDK.

Quote: "pretty organized hus?"

So you aren't planning on using OOP for this project?

Good luck.

i like orange
kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:55 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 01:05
Hey, I started my first ever c++ gdk program as an mmorpg, now its a month later and it's coming along very nice (check my sig)

EDIT: and i think you are blowing it out of perportion by wanting to move individual hairs on models and such >.<

EDIT: EDIT: best of luck! *hard to keep from busting out in laughter*

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 01:06
@AndrewT - By OOP do you mean Object Oriented Programming, and if that is what OOP means then what's the difference between what his script is and what OOP is, because he has an object?

P.S. Sorry for going off topic like this

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 01:08
look up the definition for OOP, using classes & structs which are re-usable code is OOP, he could transform that code there into classes and it would be much more efficient in the end.

programing with 3d models and such ~= object orientated programming

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 01:08 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 01:09
look up the definition for OOP, using classes & structs which are re-usable code is OOP, he could transform that code there into classes and it would be much more efficient in the end.

programing with 3d models and such != object orientated programming

EDIT: oh no why did it double post me?!

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 03:07
Ah, ok that's what I was thinking

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Well thanks guys for going off topic !!!!! =)

HeyuFool1: no worries =) I'm getting a lot of attention.

kklouzal: Well no. I do not plan to animate each and every hair. More like a group. And only from 4 maybe 8 angles.
And pretty much i'm doing EVERYTHING manual.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 07:47
Quote: "pretty organized hus?"

If only you knew how funny that is xD.

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Phosphoer: Sorry I don't. I meant to say "pretty organized huh?" But my finger slipped. Whats so funny about it?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 00:30
Because the code is most definitely not organised

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh. I see. Would it work if I said "neat"?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 01:51
It would work better if you replaced all the occurances of:

With arrays

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 01:54 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 01:54
That or just get rid of them because they aren't really needed

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
heyufool1: Thanks but I need them as a visual reminder =).

Diggsey: THANKS!

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
And hey u fool? What is an alternative to them?

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 02:04 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 02:11
None, just replacing each "should_xxx" and "is_xxx" with the appropriate keyboard check command.

EDIT: After reading your code again I just don't understand what you are doing. You have it that when should_walk is true the person is walking then you have when should_walk is true and is_walking is not true then loop an animation. But you can just simply have:

No variables

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
ahh I see. I might use that code in my "Proffesional" game ( if I ever get that far ) but right now mine works and Nothing is wrong with it so thanks though!

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 05:57 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 06:00
Okay i hate people who have ideas like this in which it's IMPOSSIBLE even on highend machines you cannot have
Quote: "2. Wind/Momentum "WhipLash" that waves individual hairs"

Start of something more simple if you even want to make a game.

example: FPS with RPG like elements. Inventory, Changeable armor, storyline with quests.

thats a feasible idea that could be accomplished, and a prototype of the game could probably be made in less than a month.

DONT have high expectations or great ideas if your a indie developer, have innovative ideas, not graphic wise but game play wise.

I started like you, in JR High looking for a quick little language ot pick up, but now i have the capacity to make a game, just not the time. you should learn alot of geometry and math while in school, IT HELPS! Lower your expectations to make a crappy little pong clone then work on something tougher.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size << omg my sig was 400x125
ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I think that was a little bit late in the forum. Well anyway. I AM NOT GOING TO START WITH PONG. So far I have been able to make terrain, use the charector and animate it correctly ( 3D ). All I need to do is get a model gun ( or maybe he'll just shot lightning from his hands ), set it up to fire and kill the enemy, ( low-graphic crab-like things, which i haven't made yet/ or maybe a target range thing were you get points. ), and another thing I need to do is the collisions.

And about that qoute up there ^^. Well it is possible. You could use true Space and set up the "skeloten" with the angles for the hairs, and then make the frames of it from the four different angles ( maybe 8 ), then "glue" the object on top the charectors head.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 16:53 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 16:59
Quote: "And about that qoute up there ^^. Well it is possible. You could use true Space and set up the "skeloten" with the angles for the hairs, and then make the frames of it from the four different angles ( maybe 8 ), then "glue" the object on top the charectors head."

Nope, I thought we already talked about that. It's impossible, as in, not possible. Unless you're talking about doing this for very large groups of hairs, of course. But it sounds like you plan on having 20 or more small groups and doing this to each one.

Quote: "So far I have been able to make terrain, use the charector and animate it correctly ( 3D )."

Yay! So you're, like, 0.04% of the way there! Now all you need to do is create your weaponry system (which sounds pretty complex), design and implement a combat system, create a flexible invention system with dozens of parts that can be flawlessly integrated with one another, animate each hair and finger of each character in your game, design an RTS-like building-construction feature, create a business simulation, design your game's missions, and find a physics engine and design your vehicles system. Oh, and don't forget the massive amount of optimization you'll need to do. Not to mention all the modeling...

i like orange
ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I think it's possible, and if I am able to make it work I'll post it for every1 to use/see. =)

And yes YAY! I know. Since it's taken about a week to get 0.04% done I only need about 10 more years til i'm done =)!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 17:38
Quote: "Since it's taken about a week to get 0.04% done I only need about 10 more years til i'm done =)!"

Try 48...

i like orange
ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't do the math. And considering I will learn a lot more in the next year the rate will excalarate making it 10 years.

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok every1! Well I finally learned to start with easier stuff!!! Please let this thread die. I would like to thank all you guys for the help and arguements to start with simple stuff! And Special thanks to Pricey who I found out about his game " Quest "! I will now program a simple RPG!

Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 05:12
It's about time. You basically insult us and all our hard work with crap like this.

Especially this:

Quote: "Ok. I guess you guys just can't help me here. Obviously you guys don't know how to."
Cryptic Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Post for ideas and HELP ON HOW TO START!!!!"

Grow up.

Good Luck,

CrypticDragon

You know for a fact that you have reached the edge when you can absolutely see sound!
tomtetlaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol @Cryptic Dragon that was the best post ever.
ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys' brains are thick... I said let this post die. I was way to enviouse up there which you can tell from reading the WHOLE THING. Once i realized how rediculouse this was for a kid my age i stopped working on it and started on a rpg. now shut up and let this post die.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:45:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:45:39