Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How to create a good fantasy world ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello there, it's my first post here, I need some help...

Let's see, I have the model packs 17, 18, 21 and the others with the houses, Terrain Editor, forest entities and other stuff (300 textures and 120 other entities).

I have a lot of stuff, but i don't manage to create a design like Tolkien's Middle Earth, Toril (Dungeons & Dragons) or, Eldora (FPSC isn't it ?).

Can you provide me some mapping advices ?

Thank you.

Bugbears are mad.
Dragons are mad ...
Everyone's mad !
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing, Eldora uses a LOT of custom media either made by rolfy or from other sources. whilst 17,18, and 21 do help, if you really want a Tolkein'esque world, you may have to invest into some custom models.

There are plenty of free medieval models out there if you look hard enough on the forums and over at FPS-Files

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 19:40 Edited at: 21st Jul 2009 20:03
I find it best to begin with a good story outline. Where does the story begin, what kind of places is your player going to explore during the story, and where will he be at the end.

You can find tons of images online that depict fantasy worlds. Use them to give you ideas for the types of levels you'd like to make.

Grab All the media, and models you can get your hands on. There are loads of it for "free" around the forums, and reasonably priced in the store.

Try to create portions of the world you wish to play in, so that the player gets a real "feel" of where he,or she is, in respect to the storyline.

example: In my story, after following the stream, The player has to cross an old country bridge to get to the road that leads into town.

So... Here I am following the stream.

And here I'm crossing the bridge, on my way to town.

My point is: "Build what you need to follow the story".

Always try and use photos of actual scenery to inspire the look of your designs. It helps you to create levels that give the player a feel for the environvent in a way that seems natural, and more realistic.

Try to use as few elements as possible to convey your view of the area in which your in. Line of sight is very important. For example: you dont need to fill up the ground with a hundred grass decals. You can achieve satisfactory results with careful planning, and experimentation.

I hope this helps you out a bit. Good Luck!

Note: In between my other projects, I've been compiling a Tutorials Manual.

As soon as it is complete, I will release it "FREE" here on the forums.

In the Universe, nothing ever stays the same.
Mystra
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, your screens are AMAZING !

I've all of the custom weapons of Bond1, a pack made by Heltor (scenery for houses and dungeons), and a pack designed by a friend (basically the same things than Heltor's stuff, but less polygoned).

Thanks for your tips.

Bugbears are mad.
Dragons are mad ...
Everyone's mad !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 04:24
remember to use skyboxes that look nice and fantasyish

also, try to incorperate a landmark that looks peaceful and can guide the player

use mostly terrain and use buildings and stuff sparingly.

make it look natural
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 23:16
Look for "Faerun Chronicles" thread on the showcase section.

But all of the screens on this thead shows indoor mapping.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 21:22:37
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 21:22:37