Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK Limitations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 22:07 Edited at: 24th Jul 2009 22:54
Hey! I'm currently thinking of making a kinda simple RPG (simple story mostly). But, before I begin even designing it I wanna know if Dark GDK would work well enough to make a decent RPG. I'm making it 3d of course and I'm basing the style of fighting and camera view off of Diablo 3. I know that I won't be able to make the graphics, especially the effects of Diablo 3, but I am hoping to have a decent amount of enemies/items. So would Dark GDK be able to handle a RPG the size of Diablo 3 but graphics of lets say... Runescape?

Diablo 3 (Watch the gameplay trailer):
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/index.xml#movies
Runescape (HD Graphics Version):
http://www.runescape.com/what_is_runescape.ws

Use Google first... it's not rocket surgery!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
How much C++ coding experience do you have? It's possible to get runescape gfx as long as your models look good ^_^

Your signature has been erased by a mod
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 00:43
Well I don't have tons of pure C++ coding but I've been using Game Maker for about 4 years and the language used in that is based of C++ so there isn't much programming that I necessarily have to learn. It's just 3d stuff in general that I have to learn a bit more about. But I have already made a FPS using Dark GDK and it was pretty decent but my hard drive crashed so now I have to start over on everything so that's why I'm starting this. And for the gfx, I know that Dark GDK can handle Runescape graphics but what I'm not sure about is if it can handle a large world. But, I think Dark GDK will do just fine I got a 1 week vacation starting tomorrow where I will probably be sitting around doing nothing so I'll be doing some concept art and writing a story and stuff then.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
For a runescape-like world, I would build in an amazing LOD system so it doesn't lag to high heaven. DGDK can be made to do some amazing stuff: for example, I'm making an online FPS, each person is roughly 800 polys and I tested it to 22 players before my coding disallowed it to go any further

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 01:14 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 01:14
Well the LOD system for this type of game shouldn't be too difficult since it's in the view like Diablo 3. I'm planning on just hiding all faces outside of the camera view and letting everything in the camera view be full detail. Because since it's not in FP I don't have to worry about lets say mountains that are miles away. The player is only going to see everything in view between the ground and camera.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Therefore allowing your game to have an edge graphically with fewer lines of code

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 02:16
Basically So, I guess I'll use Dark GDK... Now I just have to figure out the most efficient way of making the levels with interactable objects...

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
What I do is have a text file with all of the positions of objects and the game loads in all of the objects and works out what to do from there

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 02:32
Yea that's how I've been doing it but it's a pain to go through and put in individual lights and such.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Make an editor, its not too hard (like a certain button makes a light at current position and save it. I do this and also have a tool to select them and move them along axes

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 03:07
Yea I made an editor and released it in the program announcements but it's still a pain.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 04:01
Dark GDK can do anything you want it to, its just a matter of if you can piece it all together efficiently, it takes practice, you probably should start with pong or something, but RPG isnt that bad to start with, just takes more work than a newbie should have to do.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 04:35
Hey now, I'm not a "newbie" to Dark GDK or programming . I've been programming for about 4 years now and I've made a FPS with everything a normal game would have (menu's, loading separate levels, enemies, AI, shooting, reloading). The only things I'm not familiar with is physics and special effects (fire and such). But anyways... There was a topic made a few weeks ago talking about something I forget what, but it got onto the idea of Dark GDK's capabilities, and there were mixed judgments on the power of Dark GDK. So I made this thread so I could get some clear answers, in which I did. My final conclusion is that Dark GDK is perfectly suitable for making a RPG. Can't wait to draw up some concept art tomorrow and get cracking on the character

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 06:03
There you go! Dark GDK is as powerful as you want it, its just not the fastest engine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:51:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:51:20