Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Future of Dark GDK ?

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 11:10
Hi

I really like Dark GDK. I have been investing some time in it and I have even ordered the book, yes the expensive one advertized on this site by Tony Gaddis.

As I teach some games programming, I have to invest time and effort into developing teaching material. I also need to be confident that the software will be supported in medium term future.

1. How do the gamescreators make money from Dark GDK ?
Is it by hoping you'll purchase the extra goodies or do Microsoft contribute in some way ?

2. Do you think I am safe in assuming Dark GDK will be around for the next 5 years, say ?

Thanks
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 11:49
I think DarkBasic Pro and FPSC are TGC's "flagship" products.

DarkGDK has been around in one form or another for more than 5 years already, it was originally a commercial product, similar to DarkBasic Pro, called DarkSDK.

I cant say 100%, as you never know what will happen in the future, but from all the signs and what has happened in the past, I would say that they are here to stay - at least into the medium term future as you asked.

(For some hint that they are still looking to the future, have a look at some of their other products and where they are heading with them, directx10 support etc - plus they are always adding new products to their lineup, tools and whatnot)

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 15:57
Quote: "2. Do you think I am safe in assuming Dark GDK will be around for the next 5 years, say ?
"

It will be around, but there maybe better alternatives by then.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 15:59
I reckon the only folks who know the true answer to this question is the TheGameCreators Staff, but, considering DGDK is C++ and C++ is a popular language, I would expect it to be around for another 5 years.

luxgud
User Deleted
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 19:14
Thanks for your comments, I like Dark GDK as I said.

BTW: Unfortunately, we can't use the Dark Basic language, my hands are tied on this one, but I do like it personally. I also can see there's loads of support material which is often neglected with other games engines.

Cheers.
wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 21:06
Dont worry about DGDK leaving as long as you have a copy you can make games all you want!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 22:09
To answer your question, they don't need to make money with DGDK, because it's so cheap to support. They don't have to do any extra work aside from compiling the engine into static libraries and creating header files. However, I'm sure they make a bit of money from it, because it's advertised on Microsoft.com when you download VC++ Express, and many of the people that end up coming getting DGDK that way may also end up buying plugins or other software sold by TGC.

i like orange
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 14:41
GDK is a loss-leader. Lost of people will start with the GDK, and then go on to buy the extension libraries and the media too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:50:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:50:30