Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Porting FPSC source to DGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 22:59
Has anyone thought about this? Turning the FPSC source into faster c++? Sounds like a great idea to me.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sounds like a great idea to me."
ok start doing it.....and for you to know c++ need very much knowlage to make a game fpsc has very easy comands if you will force c++ to recignize words like kill...die....run....talk ok then you made it......

divernika
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 00:24
@wickedly kick it: Actually, I am aware of a close friend of mine by the name of "Rampage" who has been busy re-writing FPSC in C++ which has allowed for a better physics system such as Newton Physics.

CoZ

-Demon Sun: Lead Developer-
Dead Man's Cradle: Lead Developer
dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 00:49
Check out his mod's (Rampage Mod) website here:
http://www.freewebs.com/rampagemod/

dark peanut

Look for me on CoD4 online for PC. My username's Arbiquator (strange I know but it's the first thing that came to mind)

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 00:50
I would do it, if i wasnt hung up on my own fps, but seriously, CoZ that sounds awesome, i would work in something like Dark AI and Dark Physics if possible, and also add something like vehicle physics

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 01:11
I remember porting one of my games from DBP to C++/DGDK. It was just under 1000 lines of code and the port took me all of 1 week and 5 days... now let's multiply that by 30 and that's roughly how long it would take a good coder to convert FPSC to C++/DGDK, also assuming DGDK has all of the commands that FPSC uses.

The one and only,

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 04:25
it has even more, and you can even shorten alot of the tedious tasks that are required in DBP. Im porting my game to dgdk and atm i have the base engine down, in less than a day. Now i just have to work in the weapon system as well as lua that would only take about 2 days to do.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 04:25
Quote: "now let's multiply that by 30 and that's roughly how long it would take a good coder to convert FPSC to C++/DGDK"

Why so ser.. long? Some parts may take marginally longer to write in C++ but it really depends what kind of a port you're trying to do. If you want to have the end result be well written and structured, then you may well spend a while writing it. But if you're going to do a line by line(or as close as you can get) port then it shouldn't take that long. However, C++ has far more features and the possibilities on how to better structure the code make the latter a bad idea.

I'm not sure what you constitute as a good coder but I could probably rewrite all of my DBPro projects in less time using C++ than it took to make in DBPro. Simply because most of the time I spend coding is spent planning the implementation of features, with a port this is already done for you so it's just a case of how quickly you can type and run through the engine design in your head.

If you do go for porting FPSC to GDK then I'd advise you not do a direct port, in fact I don't even know why you'd want to do a port. I'd just make a fairly flexible FPS engine that allows for FPSC segments and stuff and lightly wraps the integration between the engine and the editor. So many aspects of the engine could be far better written and handled.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 05:28
Quote: "Why so ser.. long? Some parts may take marginally longer to write in C++ but it really depends what kind of a port you're trying to do. If you want to have the end result be well written and structured, then you may well spend a while writing it."

You're right, i should have clarified. I was referring to restructuring it to make it run better, thus making the port more worthwhile. Doing a line-by-line port would not take long if you're familiar with C++.

But it's been my experience that DGDK's library doesn't contain all of the same commands that DBP has, which would require extra coding on the porter's part. One such command that FPSC uses on many occassions is the save/load array commands, which I have not found in the DGDK library and would require a bit more coding. I have no doubt there are many more parts of the source that would require extra coding to get working properly again.

(I think this is the first time I've seen you post in the FPSC boards, I didnt know you even looked in here. )

The one and only,

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 06:47
Quote: "One such command that FPSC uses on many occassions is the save/load array commands, which I have not found in the DGDK library and would require a bit more coding."

DBPro's save/load array commands only allow you to save non-UDT arrays though, storing such C++ arrays would require no extra lines. Of course you wouldn't use GDK file functions for this as they are poo, a simple fopen() then fwrite() will allow you to store anything, even multiple arrays assuming you either write or know their size beforehand. You can also fairly easily store struct/class dumps depending on what they contain, so it's just a case of the languages doing something different, rather than one being faster than another. Of course in this case I'd say C++ is faster because to read/write more complex files you can just use filestreams which DBPro doesn't have anything close to.

Quote: "I think this is the first time I've seen you post in the FPSC boards, I didnt know you even looked in here"

Reading the other sections gets a bit dry after a while, and I do post on occasion.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 08:18
Also i was thinking... if the engine just takes input from the editor when it builds, why cant we simply make a new one using OpenGL for windows support? a hefty task, but since the source has been released and i realise how it works, we could make FPSC games for the xbox, PC, anything!

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 08:25 Edited at: 5th Aug 2009 08:27
Its really hard. Like ... REALLY. Re-writing it in C++ is practically like making your own game engine. Just using the layout of fpsc's code as a reference.

Eidos!
wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 08:54
Well yeah, but you would have the advantages of a drag and drop editor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 21:27:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 21:27:01