Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How old are you and what brings you to the FPSC community?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:10 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 00:47
Hi everyone,
I've been curious about this for so long I wanna know what brings people to use FPSC..
is it just a hobby? or it's a start to go professional?
how old are FPSC community top contributers? how long have they been in game development area..

I'll go second or third

-EDIT-
Don't say your age forum rule

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:14
1. Users aren't allowed to give their age.
2. For me it's a hobby/money maker
3. I've been doing FPSC for about 8 months and DBPro for about 3 months.

knxrb

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:18
1. Users aren't allowed to give their age.

2. It's a starter to make it professional. And I will make a commercial game with FPSC, before moving on to a more developed engine.

3. I've been into game design since Resident Evil 4 came out. I've been modeling for about 4 years now. I started with Gmax, and moved onto Blender just last year.

Kravenwolf

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:21 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 23:24
is it allowed to maybe just say the life period instead of age.. child (8-13), teenager (14-18), adolescent (18-21) and adults..

btw amazing u've just started DB pro and u came up with Horror Mod already god bless you..

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:22
Quote: "1. Users aren't allowed to give their age."

Not 100% true. Users are only not allowed to give their age if they are under the age of 18 which most FPSC users are.

The majority of the users here just use FPSC as a hobby. However, there are a select few that are or would like to make it professional.

Signature's are stupid.
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:25
1. Well I won't give my age unless we're allowed.
2. It is very much a hobby to create professional like games, but I have no plans to go commercial. If everyone likes it, that's all I care about.
3. Top contributors? Well, I'm out.
-Adrian

I love Taylor Swift. She's awesome.
Hey guys! Help me! Join the creative design forums! http://creativedesign.candorweb.com/index.php
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:29
I know I'm over 18 but I can't remember any more. FPSC is just fun to play with and I have no dreams/plans of serious game development. After falling in love with FPS games like Doom and Heretic, it's nice to be able to make my own.

Brian.

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:30
1. Age not allowed. If age groups are allowed, I'll edit it with that.

2. It's mainly a hobby now. Although I do have hopes to move on in the future.

3. I guess I'll answer the what brings me here question. I originally joined The Next's FPSC-Online forum first, then joined here to promote the community forum. I began helping people out in the X10 section, and eventually just moved everywhere.

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 23:32 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 23:45
Quote: "Not 100% true. Users are only not allowed to give their age if they are under the age of 18 which most FPSC users are."

actually my main curiosity are FPSC Mod developers and shiny Modellers not users only..

as for me am still studying.. but for 3 years now I have worked as a web developer/designer and a software programmer, making a game was somekind of a little dream of mine and I actually was going to start my own engine till I've found FPSC..

I've seen some modelling tutorials just to get me started and I wanted to see If I should go through with it.. would it take much time? should I be all free for it? and if am somehow older than most people should I stick to web development and stop wasting time with modelling and game development? that's all

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 00:03
Please don't post your age.

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 00:11
it's an unusal rule but np

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 00:11
I am in my late 20's ewww, This is just something to kill time when i am awake all night. Trying to learn what i can.

===================
No life, Lots of love, 2 Kids, God save me LOL
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 01:13
Lets just say im a teen.
I have been using FPSC for about two years, and i am working on a game that I plan to sell.
Its a surprise for now, I'll eventually post it in the WIP boards

He stood like a stone wall, not only in battle, but also for the Lord
Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 01:21
@unixfr3ak: no age posting

@General Jackson: good luck with ur game

if u don't mind can I ask u a couple of question.. have u programmed any mods for the game? and maybe on a scale from 1 to 10, how good are ur modelling/animating skills

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 01:26
I havent made a mod because I havent saved up enough for DBpro yet.
Workin' on it though.
On a scale of 1-10, I would say for modeling about a 6 or 7, and animating a 4 or 5.
I am not the best at texturing though

He stood like a stone wall, not only in battle, but also for the Lord
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 01:52 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 01:53
1. Old enough to be a father of a son old enough to be a father himself
2. I am a junkie for being creative: painting, writing, moldmaking, stageplay, I do it all. And a junkie for games: boardgames, TCGs, online gaming....
3. I am no game developer at all. I am in some databases as a reliable beta tester and do a lot of closed or open betas for english or german release of games for about 5 years now. I do some modding but usually only as a contributor to projects, in german (my motherlanguage) I write lore and quest stuff for module and PW builders. Only for NWN2 I have done modding completely on my own in large quantities:http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=53351 but even these are not modelling but something comparable to stock media variations in FPSC terms.

All in all its the challenge that brought me to use FPSC

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 01:54 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 11:04
Hi everyone! My name is Scurv and I'm a FPSC-a-holic.

My age is between two days and 1 million years. Have been using FPSC for most of this time.

edit: Wops, sorry! Thought this was the FPSC-Anonymous thread

Running my latest game superbly on FPSC and Project Blue Mod.
DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 02:38 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 02:40
Jeez, I have been using FPSC since about after the early adopter , ah I remember the good old days of this forum

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 02:45
1- I'm 2 months away from getting the 'teen' part of my age gone. That's enough to make you know without actually posting. =P

2- For me, It's a hobby, but before I stop using FPSC, I'm going to make sure that I make something big and worth all the money I've spent on media and stuff like that.

3- I've been here since 2005 and pretty much been game designing since then, using programs like Game Maker and RPG Maker XP and a couple of others. Game Maker is the only program that I've actually had to code properly in, as FPSC just has FPI, which isnt that hard.
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 02:49 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 02:52
i an 4 months in here and used fpsc for 4 months so for a newby a am good...hahaha...whell i came here to help and get some help and share my games.....whel i will be adult next month...

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 03:31
1. I am a teen I suppose.
2. Mostly a hobby, but I do plan on creating a game I can get published and sell some media.
3. I guess I am okay at modeling and texturing. I don't put enough of my life into it to improve a lot. But I can model if I need something.

Gamer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 03:59
1. not giving my age
2. A hobby that is giving me a good start into game development.
3. I have been using FPSC for about 2 years (joined the forums 6 months after getting FPSC). i have been making Game Designs for 6 to 7 years.

teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 04:10
I've used fpsc since it came out. never used it for game development just as a engine to test my models and such.
I also rip a lot of models from professional games(personal use of course) and I love testing them out and putting them in fpsc. So basically its just a hobby.

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a long time hobby for me although like many here I would to one day publish my own game. To paraphrase another member, "I skulk around the boards" a lot but don't have much time for actual game making. It's a great tool with a lot of potential and I'm amazed at the quality of work many members are putting out.

As for my age, I watched Apollo 11 land on the moon live in my grandma's living room. I think I might have been in the first grade then.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 06:06
I did not post my age just a estimate

===================
No life, Lots of love, 2 Kids, God save me LOL
JJB Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 08:13
1: between 1 day and 100 years
2: I want to try and make game and raise up money for something like Unreal Engine
3: About a month but I love FPSC

I AM LEGEND: THE VIDEO GAME
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152828&b=25
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 09:19 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 09:20
Actually at start I assumed this was really nice and could get me where I wanted, however after a year or so I realised I shouldn't go with this any more, and since then I've just used it for prototyping stuff. Or just simply building levels and ripping them out to use in DBP/DGDK.

And as for the age, let's just say I'm far beyond using diapers.

It's not the world that turns against you, it's you that turns against the world.
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 11:03
JJB Productions: Unreal Engine can be used for mods if you buy the latest Unreal game. That's around 60$

Seriously, don't wait til you have the thousands of dollars it takes to buy a commercial license fot the engine. That's something that can be done later.

Running my latest game superbly on FPSC and Project Blue Mod.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 11:17
Quote: "Seriously, don't wait til you have the thousands of dollars it takes to buy a commercial license fot the engine. That's something that can be done later.
"

Plus they don't sell it to individuals...

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 11:20
According to your "age range", I would be an adult.

I got into FPSC out of the blue because I wanted to slap together an FPSC, whereupon receiving the software and playing around with it, it became painfully clear that I am in no way, shape or form a level designer/artist.

Shortly after this epiphany, I left FPSC on the shelf for many years, picked it back up after moving houses, to find that the source code was open and I decided to give it a go.

Before leaving the Mod (Project Blue) behind to further myself in other development environments, I used FPSC as an outlet for random coding urges that turned into small gimmicks for gameplay and after collecting so many it turned into what one would call a "Mod".

It was never an initial intention of mine to earn money through FPSC, as it will always be in my eyes a "toy".

The one and only,

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 14:33 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 14:33
i'm A BILLION YEARS OLD! (lets say "teen")

i've been using fpsc since febuary 2009, why? becuase i wanted to make a zombie survival game. no kidding, i'd been scouring the internet looking for a free nazi zombies-esque game i could play, when on the forums of a game called dead wake i found a game called "drugs kill"
shortly after i downloaded the demo of fpsc and liked it so much i bought the full version.

i probbably won't be doing anything in terms of game design AFTER fpsc, but i am keen on animation, and fpsc has helped me on that greatly.

JJB Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 18:00
Quote: "JJB Productions: Unreal Engine can be used for mods if you buy the latest Unreal game. That's around 60$"

well i tried to get it from my copy of Medal of Honor Airborne, but I couldn't open the files

I AM LEGEND: THE VIDEO GAME
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152828&b=25
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 18:15
I'm only here for the free T-Shirt (which I'm still waiting on, by the way)!
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 18:53
you get a free t-shirt when you're a mod?

NST
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 19:21
Old, old, old - at least that is the way I feel, having done a whole weeks work (for the 1st time in ages, nothing happens in August here).

Many years ago, when the PC XT was a useable computer, I was a Clipper programmer (although I studied Basic, COBOL and FORTRAN at Uni!!). Then someone invented Windoze and I couldn't hack it. A few years back, as a result of an extended stay in hospital, I got (back) into VB.NET, Python and other obscure Web softwares. Couldn't hack them, either. So, about 4 months ago I bought a copy of FPSC - just for fun - which it is. When I have cracked this, I want to move onto DB - again, just for fun.

What was the other question?
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 19:48
I started FPSC because I always (even at 4) wanted to make games (and play Warhammer, which i now have a glorious Tyranid army!). I Googled FPS Creator (obvious name) and found this beautiful piece of creativity. I bought it and enjoyed it ever since

If every millisecond in your life was 10 problems in the world, you'd be immortal
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 20:06
Quote: "and play Warhammer, which i now have a glorious Tyranid army!"

i have about 200 necrons, 100 space wolves, 100 tau, 50 gray nights, a land radier and a monolith. and some orks.

i could never really decide which army to choose, i kept switching.

but i stopped playing warhammer about 2 years ago, so all my *glorious* necrons are in teh attic.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 22:30 Edited at: 21st Aug 2009 22:34
Quote: "1. How old?"

...there's still some dirt around somewhere that's older, I'm sure.

Quote: "
2. Is this a hobby, or professional endeavor?"

...yes.

Quote: "3. How long involved in game developement?"

...decades.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 23:31
Yeh, we'll I'm smack bang in the middle of the "Teen" category, and I've been using FPSC for about 2 and a half years now. I guess the main attraction was price, then after I started getting better, I set myself an ambition. Make a game that I'd be confident enough with to send to PC Gamer UK, in the hope that they'd put it on their freebie disc, and maybe give a review on it as well...

From more than just a game-design standpoint, being able to say I made a game of quality acceptable enough to go into such a prestigious magazine would at least prove that I am an organised, and productive individual, which would basically equal major CV kudos...

Perhaps it may even attract some British game developers attention? I'm not counting on it, but the hope's there...

If I was ever given the opportunity to remove all the bad from the world, I wouldn't, because for there to be heroism, compassion and all that is good, there must also be all that is bad.
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 23:42
that's a great ambition coffee grunt. i'm mainly doing this for fun and a great time with everyone on these forums, but the experience is there as well.

before i started using fps creator, i didn't even know what a script was.

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 00:54
Quote: "Users are only not allowed to give their age if they are under the age of 18 which most FPSC users are."

Does anyone else not see the logic in that?

I thought the age rule was in place to stop those nasty individuals who prey on children...if only children get mod-edits in their posts for declaring their age, surely that's just sticking a big advertisement for predators on them. All age statements should be removed if you're going to do that.

Paul

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 01:12 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2009 01:13
Quote: "I thought the age rule was in place to stop those nasty individuals who prey on children...if only children get mod-edits in their posts for declaring their age, surely that's just sticking a big advertisement for predators on them. All age statements should be removed if you're going to do that."

That is pretty unfair that a 18- cant give their age but a 19+ can

btw, I came to the community cause i love making stuff on the computer

Join the forums and download fpsc games here:
http://fpsc-games.webs.com/
Windows Vista,ATI Readon HD 4870,AMD Athlon 7750 64 Dual Core,4GB ram,SoundBlaster Audigy,EFX Free Edition
Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 01:42
Quote: "I thought the age rule was in place to stop those nasty individuals who prey on children...if only children get mod-edits in their posts for declaring their age, surely that's just sticking a big advertisement for predators on them. All age statements should be removed if you're going to do that."

guess it's applied on all ages, if not then it doesn't make any sense

btw may I add a little question, some of u mentioned they're programmers in the first place.. have u ever found a job (not free lance work) doing what you do (programming or web developing)?..

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 01:51
I had a job working on a military contract... everyone there liked me... except my boss... 'nuff said there... bad memories.... don' wanna talk 'bout it.

After that, I got a job programming software at an insurance company (for half the pay of my previous job) whereupon I basically automated myself out of a job (cuz I was too lazy to do the busy work, I made programs to do them for me.... don' ever do that )

The one and only,

DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 02:18
Necrons? I hear they're changing the rulebook this winter. They haven't changed the rules for 7 years, so i think now would be a good time. Also, have you ever battled a Hierophant? They're crazy powerful... and I have one! Also they're making a new Space Wlves Codex.. and a new Tyranid Codex
Quote: " have about 200 necrons, 100 space wolves, 100 tau, 50 gray nights, a land radier and a monolith. and some orks."

If every millisecond in your life was 10 problems in the world, you'd be immortal
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm kinda old, but not too bad.

I started using FPSC because it's simple and it works. I develop using more than one engine though, so I'm bouncing around most of the time. I always come back to FPSC when I want to make a quick game just to relax and have some fun.

Lots of new faces here since I was last around, good to see a lot of the old "gang" here too.

~Dave
Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 02:26
Quote: "cuz I was too lazy to do the busy work, I made programs to do them for me.... don' ever do that"

lol I actually do that sometimes with web development since programming is wut I learned first I tend make all kinds of softwares to do most of my boring jobs

@DarkFact: I haven't seen u around before welcome back..

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 02:36
Quote: "have u ever found a job (not free lance work) doing what you do (programming or web developing)?.."

Web dev, hosting, and a little programming is about half of my income these days. The rest is from a combination of system sales, installation, repairs and networking.

Business sucks!

Brian.

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 02:49 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2009 02:51
Quote: "Business sucks!"

I think only if ur doing sth u don't like..

though am only working part time and free lance now but I love it (most of the time anyway ) and I wish I can have the time to work full time..

my college isn't related to computers by any means, am studying civil engineering.. and ofcourse I hate it =)
so am thinking of just getting my degree and then do wut I like..

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 03:03
Quote: "I think only if ur doing sth u don't like.."

Oh no. I love what I do. It's just very slow right now.

Brian.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 23:18:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 23:18:19