Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Anyone willing to make a title screen?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm working to finish up my game, and one thing I still need is a title screen. I'm looking for someone who could put together a 640x480 image, either pixel art or drawn artwork. What I had in mind was four people on the bottom of the screen facing several monsters on the top.

If anyone can help me out, it will be greatly appreciated. Post here or email me with a sample of your artwork. I'll send you a rough draft using in-game sprites. Thanks in advance.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Why not post the draft on here? That might at least give you a chance of somebody doing it.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 11:51
Yeah, when it's a punt like this you should make a draft title screen and upload it, then see who bites.

The best chance of you getting help with it, is a bored GFX guy looking for something to do. A title screen is a good one, as it usually gives an artist a lot of freedom, they get the bragging rights of having their work in a game - plus you get decent artwork because people will see it, they would put in the effort I'm sure - it's a situation full of win.

So bait that hook and hopefully a bored artist fish will swim by soon.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Alt Schule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 20:00
Post a rough draft of your concept. I might be of asssistance.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 03:21
What's the monsters look like?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 05:26 Edited at: 10th Sep 2009 05:26
Here's a quick draft. Something like this would be ideal:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 19:32
You just made your title screen. Now all you have to do is put the game name in the middle and you're done.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What you could do is fade that image so that it is hardly visible, then print it onto A4. Draw around the outlines with a black felt pen, then scan it, and colour it in an art package.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I was looking for more of an artist interpretation than just a straight up copy of ingame sprites.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2009 01:03 Edited at: 14th Sep 2009 01:04
Why can't you use in game sprites? You could make the sprites huge and shrink them to normal size, or rotate them into position, or make them small and grow them to normal size, or you can have cloud sprites cover the screen and move out of the way to reveal the characters, and much more effects before the title slides in from the side. There are many possibilities if you don't rely on an artist to make a custom static picture when you have access to all the art already for the game. Don't just use paste image... make the tile screen come alive.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Drawing around the faded sprites on A4 paper also allows you to lose the jaggies, and also to change the details, like better flowing hair, and manga eyes.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2009 03:16 Edited at: 14th Sep 2009 03:20
let me interject here since it appears jimpo's request (as i know it) isn't quite being understood.

i had offered (to attempt) a title screen for jimpo's Dego game in a style similar to classic RPG/Adventure game box art. i soon realized it was beyond my ability and suggested he post a request here since there are many talented, creative & imaginative artists showcasing their work here in the 2d section of late.

what we'd discussed was a sort of staged battle scene (complete with landscape, a nice sky, etc) featuring a few heroes which typify the character classes present in Dego vs/battling a few enemies from the game including the story's antagonist (top row, center in the reference image above).

for more reference material, see the dego WIP thread and the official dego home page.

here are some examples of the general style we'd discussed:

as far as tracing blown-up sprites, repainting, etc, that, i'm sure, would be a "plan b" alternative should noone offer to do the more artistic, stylized title screen sought here.

so, i hope i've helped this thread along some as it seems to have strayed from what i believe is jimpo's goal here.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2009 03:38
What I suggested to him is because like him I'm a programmer first and an artist with very limited ability second. I'm only the latter because of the many years of not knowing any artists to make graphics for my games.

Those examples are great but I still believe that a static image title screen isn't as cool as a sprite filled animated title screen.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Virtual Nomad did a good job of clarifying what I'm after. Using sprites with an animated title screen is plan B. Title screens are only seen briefly, so a static image is short and to the point.

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't stand fantasy style creatures... too much exposure to LOTR fanatics.

You might want to clarify if you want the usual convention/comic style art or anime style. I noticed your characters look anime, and that's way easier than the other type, imo. (I've only drawn bits at a time, browsing to get back into it actually, but lack skill to do this for you)

Signed
------
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 09:32
You do realise that to draw that many characters, without much reference, will be very time-consuming? I suggest cutting your prospects to just one character looking awesome, locked in primordial battle with THE bad dude. Something like this...

I worked with the dude who did that image He took a loooong time.

I reckon you should go away, reconsider the concept, draw some random (even if it's crap) images to show what you would like, and have a good idea of what you want. At best give a write-up of the characters that will appear on the front.

I wouldn't be too adverse to giving it a shot, if I can make space for it between uni assignments.

Hope that helps,
Greenlig

Blender3D - CS3 - VISTA - DBPro
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You might want to clarify if you want the usual convention/comic style art or anime style."

I don't have a specific style in mind. Probably what the is more comfortable for the artist.

Quote: "You do realise that to draw that many characters, without much reference, will be very time-consuming?"

Yes, I'm well aware. It's my fault, I should have been a lot clearer on what I meant by an ideal rough draft: I was hoping an artist would reply with a comment like, "I can easily draw the harpy and the cerberus, but the goblin and lich are too big/detailed/time consuming."

I'm still gunning for several monsters. What if they were simpler guys, like slimes and bats? I didn't want to post the draft from the start, because I was hoping to have a more personal conversation about what to include with an artist who offered.

As for references, I can provide each monster and character from all 4 directions and in several animation frames.

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Drawing in itself isn't too hard. Getting proportions right in organics takes practice, and I don't have that down yet, but...

When drawing, you're not drawing "line", you're drawing an outline of where the object's boundaries are from a 3D viewpoint. In other words, a beginning drawer will try to draw a cat's paw and make it look like a stick, while the one that knows what they're doing will draw the outline of the cat's 3D shape, as in 2 slim boxes connected to each other, and the paw's outline will be the outer edge of that.

After the 3D outline is drawn, you need to shade and add detail. Shading is relative and details are simple strokes showing features. This is where you get your spacing down, and you can even avoid shading if your proportions aren't known yet, since there's another shading to go over.

Color. Add the colors at this point, and don't worry about shade, just add what they are as if light's evenly applied.

Now, every color's shade only goes two directions, whiter and blacker, so to shade everything properly, add black or white (or erase to subtract darker colors). Do not add orange to "lighten" red, use white or erase the red slightly.

That's how I'd do it, though I have not actually colored anything yet. I have shaded and done pencil drawings. My coloring sucked so I've observed other styles for a few months, and realized color is only contrasted by darker and lighter, not by similar but differently-toned colors (original attempts were bad because of that).

This is a short tutorial on how to draw... I can make some videos of how I went from "programmer art" to "beginner art"... lol. I'm no pro and barely doodle anything, but I broke free of the "I can't draw" phase.

Reference images might help, or 3D modelling stuff you can't see then moving it to the views you want while drawing it, if not 3D models alone.

The reason I don't draw is the above steps take quite awhile, and I'm not too interested in drawing... but programming takes time, art takes time, it all takes time. Don't worry if it takes a day to get one part's first draft half done... it's normal for good work (uncle is a real artist, not blindly telling you this).

Signed
------
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2009 17:54 Edited at: 20th Sep 2009 17:54
i decided to have a crack at it, its not my best but i quite like it, its based off of that orange dragon, hope you like it

some have greatness thrust upon them - W. Shakespeare

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I wasn't expecting anyone to just start drawing something for me! It's quite good for just a head

Keep in mind I'm only asking for a 640x480 image, so a lot of detail wont be seen if you scale down a huge drawing like that.

Are you willing to draw out the whole scene? If you are, I can send you the sprites for each monster, showing all four directions.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 18:13
Jimpo@
I'd like to do that but unfortunately i have exams coming up and won't really be able to do it at a consistant pace but i may just post some stuff on here if i do make something that resembles the stuff you have, sorry

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 23:49
I spy rpgmaker sprites! Good times.
Sorry I'm no help but I had to say that.

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2009 08:01
I was wandering around the 2d section and came across this thread. I decided to throw together a mock up of one idea I had concerning the title screen(I would do a mock up of one like the ones nomad posted, but I don't know what weapons the chars are/would be holding) The sprites are just place holders. If your still in need of someone, and interested, I can see what I can do.

P.S: the mock up is attached.

If I sound like I know what I am talking about, then I most likely have no idea what I am saying.

If I sound like i have no idea what I am saying, then I most likely know what I am talking about.

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the late reply! I meant to respond a long time ago, but my internet service was canceled, and it has been hell trying to get back online.

I still need a title screen, and I'm very interested in what you can put together. Let me know if you still have the time.

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 22:17
I am still available to make that title screen. If you liked the mock up I did, I can start to work on the real one right now with the characters/monsters in some sort of attack pose.

Quick question: what weapons there is access to, 'cause I would hate to add something like a pike to one char, and then find out that you can't use a pike and make the player confused. Also, do you want me to include text(eg: title, start, options, etc.), or have it as more of a BG type thing that you can place text over?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Have it more as a background - the menu text will be drawn in-game over the center of the image.

I've attached some weapon sprites you can use as a reference.

Thanks for working on this

Attachments

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 06:03
Thanks for references, I've already got to a happy place, I think, for the first char(red cape). I've attached a pic of him, tell me if there's anything you don't like about it, so I can change it.

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks fine for a start.

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 05:13 Edited at: 5th Nov 2009 05:14
Made some more progress, and thought you would like to see an update, I have 3 of the 4 bottom char's at a nice spot(imo).

If there's anything you don't like, tell me and it will be changed to the best of my abilities

-H

[edit] Oops, forgot to actually add the photo, have that in now [/edit]

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good so far. I keep checking back for more progress!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 05:41
@U_H - looking good. then i went and saw your halloween creature = more good stuff! i gotta visit the 3d board more often...

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 22:39
Sorry for the absence of updates, I've just been working on a couple projects, but I have made more progress on the pic. Finished the four chars, and the Cerberus. as usual, tell me if there's anything you're not happy with and I will try my best to change it more to your liking.

-H

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Some things I've noticed:
-The way the Cerberus' left and right heads connect looks awkward - like it's not a natural part of the body
-Can you make the warrior's sword somewhat visible?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm working up one too, I'll post when I get more done
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 07:54 Edited at: 12th Nov 2009 07:56
Well I got a large portion of it done, still have alots of room for improvements and tweeks as I'm pretty darn sure I'm missing a few more things. Just let me know what you'll like changed.

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 20:32 Edited at: 13th Nov 2009 21:46
very nice, Ashingda 27. amazing work

some suggestions (for anyone working on this), and please don't take this as direction at all since jimpo's vision is what matters; i'm just throwing this out there:

depth - stagger everything, depth-wise. right now, everything is basically on 3 planes; front, middle, back (plus landscape). edit: yes, i see this suggestion is somewhat- contrary to the box-art examples above which do have the basic "3 planes/distance levels" that Ashingda 27 included, as well. just going with the vibe i'm getting here and now

a) personally, i'd like to see the fighter up a bit (and scaled down some to effect distance). maybe even make the fighter "toe-to-toe" with the cerberus creature or the orcish enemy.

b) the harpy is in a "lingering, watching from a distance, waiting for an opportunity" pose so i'd push her back some.

c) i love the oversized, flowing cloak on the malice king (if i'm remembering his title correctly) and he's the center of attention here, as he should be. but, i would make it more subtle by pushing him back quite a bit, into the mountain range and have his cloak flow/fade into those mountains (it almost does already). below him, i would present an ominous cave/catacomb entrance which would reflect yet another aspect of what the game is serving up. these elements would, i feel, give the impression that all these terrible creatures, the mystery and treachery of what waits inside the dungeon, and the challenges of the landscape itself, all stem from/are caused by the malice king.

d) the dragon might do better in a turning-in-flight pose "coming in" (vs profile) from the top-left corner (more background than fore-) and the wraith-critter might be making his way out from the dungeon entrance? pushing them (and the king) "away" would also free up the center sky-space where the game's title text could be placed.

props - as per the demo and screenshots, Dego contains many varied tiles and tilesets offering up lots of detail to keep things interesting. flaming braziers, bridges, stone pathways and pillars, monuments, stacks of firewood and campfires, trees, stumps and bushes, skeletons & tombstones, fences, scarecrows and all the underground amenities, to name (quite) a few. i think it would be nice to show a few of these things in the scene.

again, this is all my opinion, offered for consideration and nothing more what ashingda 27 and ultimate_h are posting here, frankly, make my mouth water. and, i think both deserve proper feedback and praise. nice work!

Ultimate_H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 04:58
first off, I have to say Ashinga: imo, your interpretation looks better than the one I am working on

second, Jimpo: if you are somehow still interested in the one I am working on, I have uploaded the next update where I attempted to fix the cerb head connection, lengthened the warrior's sword and did up the harpy and the green guy(I wanna call him a goblin?). As usual, if there's anything you don't like, I will do my best to alter it to more of your liking.

-H

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I wasn't expecting two title screens. Maybe if I had three, I could just display a random one at the start, but for now, I'm going with the more complete Ashingda's title. The work looks cool as it is.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 19:22 Edited at: 16th Nov 2009 19:22
well heres your third, its a bit more like a landscape but i hope you like it

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't mean to imply I was looking for even more title screens. Sorry for any wasted time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:13:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:13:34