Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Hostile - Mapmaker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 08:10
That looks awesome! It's going to make fine tuning heightmaps so much easier! I'm getting excited! Christmas has come early!

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 00:54
Well here's an early beta version of the terrain generator.

Basically, You can Build and Dig (Smooth, noise and flattern will be add asap) load a heightmap image, save your heightmap image or click new and start again

To use it, Simply press the spacebar to go into sculpt mode and left click to edit the terrain, press spacebar again to leave sculpt mode (such as if you wish to change the brush being used).

So have a play, or even download the latest hostile map maker, put it on your desktop, download this terrain generator, make a height map and save it in hostile map maker/media/heightmaps and see how your terrain looks

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 06:03
awesome work.

but i think the y scale of the terrain is too low, adding an option to set the y scale would be good

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 16:26
Maybe an option how highpoly the heightmap plane is? So we could decrease to say 30x30 polys and make lowpoly terrains?

A.K.A djmaster
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 14:58
@Hassan

The yscale of the matrix is equivelent to the yscale of the heightmap when its loaded into the main editor, and from the main eitor you will b able to scale in the y dirrection.

@charger bandit

Im a little comfused to what you mean, do you mean
1 - The overall size of the terrain?
2 - Or how many tiles are within the terrain?

@everyone else

Well, I am working on it, some weeks i do lots someweeks I get destracted and code in c++ and opengl (just cos its fun) but this week i've been working on my own file types and loading them, so far it works for trees made with "Tree Magik" next job is making everything else work

here's a screen shot of the tree in the editor, (note: the leave sway side to side like wind is blowing them aswel)

I think it looks good

on a side note i looked into changeing the terrain from advanced terrain to blitz terrain, it akmost works, but not quite so if i get some free time i'll probably fix it and convert to blitzterrain as the LOD is very nice to the fps.

Yours
N3wton

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
this is getting quite good. i would love to see blitz terrain used in this. also is this going to be released for free?

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2009 01:13
Quote: "also is this going to be released for free?"

N3wton already said that in his first post.

Looks awesome N3wton! Really am looking forward to an update...

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2009 11:34 Edited at: 5th Dec 2009 01:02
As Darth said it will be free, though I should stop giving things away for free as I have no money lol. but anyways

I should have a new update by the end of next week, maybe? It all depends on how quick I finish my university work, I did my program like a week after it got given out so thats not a problem ( I LOVE C++ ) but I have an essay to do on games middleware, and I hate writting essays, should be done by monday tho, then I'll have a lil more time to program this

THe next job is finishing the terrain generator bit, so It loads your new terrains or old edited ones, Then I need to add the other brushes to the generator, such as smooth, noise and flatern (flattern and noise will be easy) then I need to make the object loading abit nice, as at the moment once you have postioned a tree you cant move it again, it's stuck forever MWHAHHAA

anyways as you can see, its more just finishing off things, which is the worst bit of programming lol

EDIT:
Good news -> 3/4 way through my middleware essay
Bad news -> Just found out I have a mock systems design exam a week today therefore ill be revising so i dunno how much ill be able to work on this.
Other news -> Its also my birthday a week today

EDIT NUMBER 2:
Finished my middle ware essay, 10 pages of genius in my opinion also in my 15 minute breaks I have every hour I have managed to implement associations, so now when you save you map,it saves as a .hsm but instad of having to go file open, you can just double click the .hsm file and it will open

EDIT NUMBER 3: (I really hate double posting )
I was thinking about roads today and how hard they would be to implement, doesn anyone have any ideas? My idea was add another colour to the detailmap (say yellow) which corrosponds to a road texture, then make it work out which way the road was going to determin the orientation of the texture, but I dont know if that would be laggy or not, anyways maybe a future thing i add

yours
N3wton

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 03:15
Ok, just to keep people interrested here is a beta version of the new release, I have bug checked it and know of one bug.

If your editing a hightmap in the heightmap editor becareful where you click, cos if you build or dig off the matrix it will crash. I am working on fixing this bug.

My girlfriend also found a bug to do with the hms file format, which has now been fixed.

If you are associating the hms files to the editor, I recomend you extract all files to a folder on your harddrive first rather that running it straight from the zip.

Please post bugs and feedback

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 23:41 Edited at: 6th Dec 2009 23:43
This is looking great, so I've popped in to give you some suggestions that I think would make the editor a bit more friendly.

Have the option of using brush tools for placing objects such as trees... making a forest by placing each individual tree is painstaking work that could easily be simplified (and randomized) by having the objects "mass placed" by a brush. The user would just pick a brush, pick an object for that brush to put down, and then draw onto the terrain. TADA!! An awesomely random forest in mere seconds! This type of thing isn't just good for trees, but for any sort of object that would need to be randomly placed on a map, such as rocks, grass, etc.

Of course, special models like bridges or road signs will need to be placed on at a time and fine-tuned, but getting those mass-made objects in without much trouble would take a huge burden off of anyone using the editor.

[EDIT]
Also, if you do this. Perhaps adding a random rotation to the trees as well as a very slight randomized scaling/coloration... to give the trees a wider variety of flavor. A single tree model could make up the entire forest without looking like the same tree over and over again.
[/EDIT]

Hoping you keep going with this. I really enjoy the simplistic style you have going with it.

The one and only,

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 00:09
Yer the model addition code is about 10% complete, but I was planning n adding forrests ect.. so thanks for the feedback.

I was also thinking maybe have a window open where you can select 1 - 5 different objects, say 4 different trees and one type of rock, then add a forrest that way so you get random trees and rocks within the forrest.

Yours
N3wton

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks really good and it seems to work well. Those shaders look amazing. The terrain editing seems fine. Closing the terrain generator leads to a "...has stopped working" popup, but the Map Maker itself continues to run without problems and the edits to the terrain persist.

I really like the movement on the tree. I didn't know that was possible with Tree Magik trees. The shadows look a bit odd though.

I'm going to ask what I asked before again:

Quote: "Will it be possible to export objects etc as lists of coordinates etc in text files, instead of as part of the world object, so that you can then load them into your game and control them individually? That is what I would like to do, but few editors seem to have this capability"
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 19:16 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 19:16
Firstly thanks

and what do you mean the shadows look odd? maybe I can change it to make them less odd

also, I have finish the object classes, there are 3 classes.

- Tree (Used for tress suprisingly )
- Default ( For most objects )
- Transparent (For objects that require transparency)

Think that covers everything All of them do support normalmaps, I just havn't finished the code for that bit yet so I will be able to add bumpmapping to make your rocks bumppier

Here's a little shot I put together

Quote: "Closing the terrain generator leads to a "...has stopped working" popup"

This is a bug with the USkin.dll what happens is it doesn't free up its memory and crashes out every now and again, I do plan to take the .lib and wrap it into a DBPro dll which should fix the problem

Yours
N3wton

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks really good.

When I said the shadows look odd, it is hard to say exactly in what way. It's to do with the way that they move in time with the tree itself - it creates a flickering sort of effect, both on the ground and on the tree itself where the leaves cast shadows on each other. It's like the shadows jump from one position to another rather than move smoothly with the leaves. I don't know if this is avoidable or not.
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2009 11:25
Yer I get what you mean, I don't know if i can do much about that really, but I will have a play around to try and make them a little smoother

Yours
N3wton

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2009 21:06
Looking really great! Brilliant progress so far lad!
Need any help with graphics, you're free to call for me, again.

TillyLala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2009 21:27
Quote: "Need any help with graphics, you're free to call for me, again. "

Stop flirting with my boyfriend

I think it's looking good too Told you that you were awesome But lets face it, with out a pro tester it wouldn't be half as good Hehe! Now I wanna see polar bears in the water!

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 22:56
Right then, this maybe my last post for a week, or atleast 4 - 5 days as its my birthday tomorrow and wont be coding this weekend... I will be in the pub... blah 20 years old... I feel old

Anyways I thought I'd releease where I'm upto before i have this break

Basically I've been working on the model side of things, you can now reselect objects after placing them and move/scale/roate them again

The controls are :-
- Left click and mouse move to move the object
- Right click and mousemove to roate the object in the Y direction
- Both mouse clicks and mose move to scale the object negatively or positively.
- Control and up/down arrowkey to offset the object in the y-direction
- Doublick click to deslect object.

I think thats everything tho my tester (tillylala) has been having troubles with the scaling so I don't know if theres a bug as it works fine for me, tho I'll be on her laptop this weekend checking it...

Right I'll post in a week most likely

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 07:56
Quote: "blah 20 years old... I feel old "

Happy birthday, old man =)

TillyLala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 12:40
Quote: "its my birthday tomorrow"

Happy Birthday

Quote: "tho my tester (tillylala) has been having troubles with the scaling so I don't know if theres a bug as it works fine for me, tho I'll be on her laptop this weekend checking it..."

I might just be doing something wrong, though i'm pretty sure I aren't - But you never know...

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 03:48
Happy Birthday!

Will download and test soon!

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 04:52
Looks great man!
I will download it now.

Tilly: ahh, I always thought newton was your boyfriend

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 07:51 Edited at: 12th Dec 2009 07:53
i think i found two bugs:

sometimes while editing the terrain, while using the build brush, the application crash.

and, when you add an object, it shows a red sphere over it, when you double click its gone, but if you make the object then make another one, choose the first one again and move it, there will be a sphere on the object and another sphere in the first place, like: i make a rock, and the sphere appear, then i make a tree, i click on the rock ( on the list left side of the program ) and move the rock, it shows 2 spheres, one at the original place and one at the place after i moved it ( but there is only one rock in the second place )

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 15:56
Quote: "sometimes while editing the terrain, while using the build brush, the application crash."

Yer I know about this bug and it's on my todo list

and the other bug you mention I thought I'd fixed this but it happened to TillyLala aswel so I guess I havn't so i'll put it on my list

also theres been a slight problem... Windows 7 blew up a lil today, so I have had to wipe my laptop and reinstall everything, luckly I have a daily online backup of my code so I havn;t lot any of that

Also I've been thinking about physics again, and I have decided that I will not be using DarkPhysics as it isn't really supported that well and it's buggy. As for newton the code is really messy and complex.

But some people may off seen someone is making a wrapper for Havok physics (the best physics engine out there in my opinion) and I have used an early version of the dll and it is easy and effective, but I don't know when a full version will be released... The other thing is I have used newton in a couple of C++ projects (written in irrlicht) and I think I might wrap newton version 2.0 for DBPro, I have currently made a quick test which can create a newton world and pass its address to DBpro so I may use newton, I really don't know

Yours
N3wton

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2009 13:35
HELLLO!

and happy christmas to everyone.

I havn't made many advances just mainly bug fixing and enjoying my christmas holiday

The main thing I've been working on is saving and loading of maps which contain objects.

Saving works fine, and loading is almost finished so that should be done sometime in the next week.

I have also fixed a strange bug that is really hard to recreate where ianm's matrixs plugin command "Find Free Object" doesn't return a free object but returns the prieviously used free object which is annoying. This bug has only happened in the new version of his plugins tho, I have fixed it, but it means you can only have upto 10,000 objects in your map... but i doubt anyone will go over that, and if they do I'll contanct ianm and ask him to have a look.

so thats all for now.
Once again
happy christams

Yours
N3wton

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 22:52 Edited at: 29th Dec 2009 22:54
EDIT: Sorry writing two posts at once is too much for my tiny brain...
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks great! And how did you get Evolved's Terrain Shaders to work, because I had trouble trying to get the right textures?

The Pokemon Engine
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 11:26
Cheers and for help with his terrain shaders try...

http://www.forum.evolved-software.com/

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=159264

Basically I use a modified version of his terrain shader done by me and revenant chaos which works out the normals from the terrain rather than a normal image.

Also if people havn't noticed i've started redoing the first post in this thread to have more information in

Yours
N3wton

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2010 11:04
@ N3wton,

Looking excellent - will this export code and media for DBPro project as well as it's own file load and save format? Also, you'd mentioned Blitz Terrain - is the aim to make it compatible also with BlitzTerrain 2?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 11:07
@ N3wton - ping. and how goes this project?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 13:45
sorry duffer for not posting in awhile.

firstly the project is still going I have been adding error reports because some people (including myself) have had completely random crashes that seem to be impossible to recreate, so Im adding error reports that basically update an .ini file at certain points that way if people crash they can send me the report and i'll know where abouts it crashes

also another big thing that happened is I finally ggot round to wrapping USkin which means that the crashes that sometimes happened on exit don't anymore

mainly though I'm wiating for the Havok plugin and the new blitzterrain to come out so I can try adding them

yours
N3wton

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 14:10
@ N3wton,

Thanks for the update - share your eagreness to see this running with Havok and Blitzterrain and perhaps also later version of DarkClouds.

When this exports could it export out both dbpro code, the media and the set up for the water/water shader - the water shader stuff is where I usually fall down...?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 12:54
ping

Freedom Fighters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 03:10 Edited at: 29th Jan 2010 10:14
love the editor thou, its awesome

EDIT: Fixed my problem. =)

Problem Solution That Never Fails: "Build A Bridge And Get Over It"
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 12:30
lol duffer, nothing to update really, i'm stuck waiting for blitzterrain 2.0 and the Havok wrapper, so i've been playing LFD2 for like 3 weeks lol XD

Tho i did have an idea of making my own file format and an editor for the models, which would make it easier for people to use there own models and easier to load, so i may tinker with that

@Freedom Fighters

I presume you mean edit the terrain height at different points? if so, i simple manipulate a matrix by using set matrix tile height (or what ever the command is called) relative to the mouse position using the pick screen commands, then i have a bit of code that converts the matrix into a heightmap so it can be used with evolveds terrain shaders. hope that helps?

yours
N3wton

p.s. I will never leave this project unfinshed, it will just take awhile as nowadays i do most of my programming in c++ and get lost in that world sometimes

TillyLala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 16:23
Quote: "nowadays i do most of my programming in c++ and get lost in that world sometimes"

It's true... I can say something to him and 10 minutes later it's "What did you say again?"

And you best do something on it soon because I haven't tested anything in ages and it's rubbish! I like randomly breaking it and then not knowing how to recreate the errors xD

you... Get to work! 'Cause people will be mad if you don't finish it boyo xD

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
This may be a silly question, but while I can see why you would want to use BlitzTerrain for this, what exactly would you use Havok for in a map editor?
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 15:09
The original idea was I would use this to make maps for a game i was making "Hostile" so you can add the position of dynamic objects in the editor, then they would appear in the game, so adding havok to the editor would mean you could test out the objects in real time if you wanted.

Yours
N3wton

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
That makes sense.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 14:33
I hope this hasn't died. It's been almost 2 months since we last heard from you N3wton! Please update us! lol

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
as he said he is waiting for blitz terrain and havok which neither has been released.

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 19:09
Right, i'm sorry to say, but I simply havn't had time to work on this

Also I spend all my time programming C++... so when I get time I'll upload all source code ect... needed for compile and put it on here and hopefully someone else can continue from where I left off...

sorry once again

Yours
N3wton

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
well, you could convert this to C++ and get an even better map creator.

Isocadia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:02:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:02:27