Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC 1.15 compatability with Vista problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all, I really love this program, and purchased it, lots of fun and it runs perfectly on my XP machine. However, I would like to be able to put it onto my laptop for portability reasons, and I have exhausted all resources in getting this to work. My system specs:

Windows Vista home Premium (Service Pack 2)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 1.80 GHz (3.60 effective)
2 GB RAM
32-bit Operating System

Display adapter:
NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M

FPSC version: V1 with 1.15 upgrade

Things I have done to try and get this to work...

I have read every post regarding how to get your vista machine to run with FPSC, and searched all the forums.
I run all my programs with administrator privilidges.
I have installed directx 9.0c to run side-by-side with directx 10.
I have tried running FPSC and its associated apps with and without the XP Service Pack 2 compatability mode checked when you right click properties for application.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled FPSC numerous times, cleaning out and fixing registry.
I have tried running FPSC in every previously released version with no luck.
I have ran restore points from before the installation, then re-installed V1, with no success, and then V1+1.15 upgrade...etc.
I have tried running FPSC with lower screen resolutions (currently my resolution is 1280x800)
I have properly rebooted before every install, and after every uninstall.

Every time I start FPS Creator the application opens with its splash screen, then the Map Editor pops up on my taskbar and the Map Editor promptly disappears and then it freezes at the splash screen and will not go any further. I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to the Task Manager to end the FPS Creator and Map Editor processes.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as I would really love to get this running on this mobile machine so I can work on my game projects when not at my home. At the moment my machine will not run FPS X10 (though I wish it would ) and I can't upgrade to a machine that can run that right now. Thanks much in advance, and keep up the great work guys!

AutO

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 03:26
FPSC X9 isn't supposed to work in vista.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FPSC X9 isn't supposed to work in vista."

Um my brothers computer has vista and it works and I have windows 7 and it works.

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 04:24

That was never directly stated by anyone. I dislike when people assume that a program won't work on an OS just because it was made before the OS.

Anyways, I run Vista x64 bit, and FPSC works fine for me other than that the Map editor won't load back up after a text game. Oh well, just teaches me to save frequently.

AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Um my brothers computer has vista and it works and I have windows 7 and it works."

Yea, that's what I heard, and I can run quite a few XP programs in vista using the compatability mode.

Also I'm not using X9 or X10....I'm using V1 or 'Vanilla' as it's called. And I did say it works great on my XP machine. I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some tips based on what I have already tried that I can use to make it run on my vista comp.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 1.7MB for an image is too much - try something under 150kb
Splash down
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 13:02 Edited at: 18th Sep 2009 13:02
X9 is a name for the direct x 9 version. besides, my fpsc works fine on vista without any compatibility edit stuff.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
ii tested in xp vista and windows 7 and it works in all 3 of them...without any problems so i must be something else...

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 16:12
I am running this too on vista. Works perfectly!

PS: -.- ,,|,
Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys are exactly helping him with his problem lol

Anyway,

Since you say you are running all programs with Administrator Privilidges have you checked the folder permissions in Program Files\The Game Creators? Add your user to that folder with full permissions see if that works.

Also what if you try the 1.16 beta? You can find that here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=155704&b=21

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 21:54

um ? I got vista and it works better then it did for XP

My FPSC Fansite - http://fpsc.freephpbb3.com/index.php
Windows Vista,ATI Readon HD 4870,AMD Athlon 7750 64 Dual Core,4GB ram
Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 22:35
Quote: "um ? I got vista and it works better then it did for XP"

me too

Quote: "Every time I start FPS Creator the application opens with its splash screen, then the Map Editor pops up on my taskbar and the Map Editor promptly disappears and then it freezes at the splash screen and will not go any further."

sometimes this happens to me but when I restart it works fine.. did u try re-installing win?

AutOmatIc
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, thanks again to all who answered and the quick replies! ...I still haven't quite figured out what the prob might be. I did try doing the folder permissions but that didn't change it.

In the meantime, I did setup my laptop for a dualboot Vista/XP and have solved my mobile problem lol...but I'll post if I happen to get it to work on the vista side, and what I did to fix it...

Cheers!
AutO

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 1.7MB for an image is too much - try something under 150kb
DonWON
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you turned off UAC? That WILL fix your problem. Is the only thing that keeps FPSC from running other then small updates.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 19:18
It works, i use vista.
All you have to do is install the latest version of DX9, ALONG WITH, NOT IN PLACE OF, DX10.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny is now in my sig. Why? because bunnys da best and ya cant argue with that!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 20:47
Quote: "FPSC X9 isn't supposed to work in vista. "

Partially correct, FPSC was never DESIGNED to work on Vista, but on XP. Hence the fact it might be slightly incompatible, however it works fine as long as you either run it in Administrator Mode on an Admin account OR with UAC turned off.

During the TGC Store Beta Testing phase I was told the above information by Lee or Rick(Can't recall which), I reported a few visual bugs about the new interface messing up with Vista Themes and got that reply, they however did fix it because of the possibility that many people would use Vista in the future. However since this is more an issue in Vista then FPSC it's easily fixed by changing some settings.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 22:58 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 22:59
Well...since my birthday some weeks ago, I run FPSC version 1.15 on Windows Vista DX10 instead of Windows XP DX9 and it still works

I might add, that I didnt reinstall FPSC, just copied all files from my old PC on my new HD. Even my old levels still work.

I had to rerun the monitor settincs though and fiddle with the admin settings to get the progrm to work, before that I had a splash screen about some error (503? dont remember exactly) that didnt give a hint about WHAT was wrong.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 01:24:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 01:24:18