Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / HATE (56k warning)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 16:07 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2009 16:14

Ok. Calm Down. This game is in no way going to interfere with Bushido Shuffle! I\\\'ve been making the 2 games in tandem for over 5 months, it\\\'s just that I\\\'ve only posted here about Bushido.

Bushido is the sword fighting game I always wanted to do. Hate is the shooting equivalent. Since the comparisons with Gears of War are going to be obvious (I\\\'m not trying to compete), I\\\'m going to pitch it as a cross between the original Quake (hellish monsters, crazy guns, gibs gallore, underworld environments), and Gears of War (cover based combat, peak, hide duck or die!)

Right now its very early WIP, but it does an awful lot and has (if I do say so myself), a clever little engine.

A list of cool stuff:

Scaling arrays that deal with everything from AI to bullets, meaning there is never an un-neccesary check performed.

Custom ( 3d geometry )Particles - Blood, smoke, electricity, spatters, gibs

Expandable weapons and characters - controlled by external files. Easy addition of new weapons and enemies via .ini file controlled UDTs

My best yet AI, enemies work together to out flank, have a genuine undersanding of low and high cover, and how to utilise it.

Intuitive player cover system, allowing crouched cover, wall sticking and peaking, blind fire, aimed fire, and grenade throws from cover.

Level editor (same as the one for Bushido) allowing spawn and trigger zones, lightmapping, enemy/collectable placement, switches, doors, and sound zones.

OK, so that\\\'s it for the blabber. Now go check the Youtube video.

Please remember, I\\\'ve been working on the code and animation right now. The level design is quite barren, because I haven\\\'t started to make propper levels yet! Also, there are a number of character types and enemies, but until I\\\'ve finished animating them all (each enemy has individual animations), there are only machinegun grunts in the video...

Check it out (and make it High Quality) HERE

EDIT : I have no idea why Appollo has decided to turn my apostrophes into triple forward slashes. Sorry!

I want robotic legs.
Takar
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking awesome as always butters, the characters look great! I love you modeling style, looking forward to seeing more of this one.

-Mike

Formerly Shadow Blade, Im not a newb; this is just my new account .
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 18:52
Looks great!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 20:01
i think we need to consider the possibility that you are not of this world.

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
very good looking game; smooth animations, particles and everything. And it looks like the gameplay and AI is gonna be pretty mega too. Like the idea that you heal when under cover.

Can't wait for a demo.

Posted it on my thread, but will post here too. Link to some awesome sound fx if you're interested. Most are freeware.

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 14:23
Nice work!! Can't wait to try it.

If I have less than three projects on the go at any one time my brain melts...

Keep it up!!
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 15:56
Looks high quality! I'm not a fan of 3rd person games like this though, but since it's made in dbpro I can't help but be tempted to try it out.

Did you write the AI yourself?

A mod accidentally your signature
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 17:50
Quote: "the characters look great! I love you modeling style"

Hey thanks, they're all my own, including animations.

Quote: "i think we need to consider the possibility that you are not of this world."

LOL. I'll take that as a compliment?!

Quote: "very good looking game; smooth animations, particles and everything. And it looks like the gameplay and AI is gonna be pretty mega too. Like the idea that you heal when under cover.
Can't wait for a demo."

Cheers. I'm having to rework the damage model at the moment as the player seems to die WAAAAYYY too easily! I'm hyped about the AI, its running pretty solidly.

Quote: "
Nice work!! Can't wait to try it."
Cheers. I'm working on the procedural animation engine at the moment. When that's done I need to model a propper level and then I'll get a demo up.

Quote: "Looks high quality!
Did you write the AI yourself?"

Thanks and yes. It uses dark AI for the pathfinding, but everything else is custom. I'll do a video showing how it works when I get time. I'm use a technique I'm calling the player relative cover system. (hells yeah!), which basically means that instead of enemies trying to find cover based on their position, the engine constantly monitors space around the player, and sends good cover/retreat/outflank points to the AI.

So.... UPDATE!

I've started to make the animations more procedural, using limb rotations for everything from recoil to shot damage. Makes everything look a bit more alive.

Upgraded to 7.4 (everything worked except a conflict between IanM and DB on the get array size command). I seem to have lost 5FPS somewhere, but the blendmapping and transparencies seem magically better so I'm not complaining!

I've added switches and doors into the editor and started to add the puzzle system (some doors need you to solve lock picking/hacking puzzles).

Shaping up. A few more sleepless nights and I'll be near a demo.

I want robotic legs.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 20:14
The player relative cover system sounds heavy. But very interesting. So in other words, with a little bit of tweaking perhaps, the AI would be able to out-smart the player in the sense that they would be able to find a safe route to get behind the player and do a surprise attack.. It would be very fun to play then, not knowing where the attack will come from.

A mod accidentally your signature
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 17:39
This looks glorious.

The blood looks a bit too bright though. But besides that.

It looks glorious.

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 01:31
look nice
I see landmines in the video, well I think its landmines.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 22:12
Nice job!

Looking awesome, as always!

The blood can do with some improvement. Right now it looks a bit like blinking lights. What does it look like if you set all of the particles out at once, and not after each other?

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2009 16:10
Quote: "the AI would be able to out-smart the player in the sense that they would be able to find a safe route to get behind the player and do a surprise attack."

That's the main hope, yes! They're a little retarded some times, and occasionally get stuck in walls but yes, it's comin' on. It's really hard to find a balance between making them Really ninja, and total spaz!

Quote: "This looks glorious.
The blood looks a bit too bright though. But besides that."

Lol! Thankyou! Noted the blood, added to fix list.

Quote: "I see landmines in the video, well I think its landmines"

Yup, it proximity mines. Adding blackhole mines and antiped.

Quote: "The blood can do with some improvement. Right now it looks a bit like blinking lights. What does it look like if you set all of the particles out at once, and not after each other?"

Cheers. Again I've added that to the update list, although I'm not sure what to do. Basically the effect needs to be really cheap, because there is alot of other stuff going on, and there can also be quite alot of blood in the scene at once!

I want robotic legs.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2009 16:25 Edited at: 11th Nov 2009 16:28
UPDATE VIDEO!
New features:
enemy knock downs
enemy blow over (grenades/shottys)
enemy wounded
Got the shotgun rats in

Player knockdowns / wounds
Player shoot from floor
Player Melee (thanks for the requests on the YouTube, this feature is way fun)
Player execute downed enemy
Player Curbstomp downed enemy
Pressing R to reload

fixed grenade physics (a bit)

Precedural animation engine done:
*Random recoil based on blowback of weapon. Has real, random effect on accuracy. Used on player and enemy.

*Player/enemies react to damage, twitching (this makes aim worse when you're being shot)

*Rotating limb aim (when you're knocked down, mouse aim rotates only the torso within limits, as opposed to the whole body)

updated muzzleflash (better alpha handling)

Lightmapper improved performance (editor writes DBO, lightmap, and AI/physics collision data at SAVE, game engine just loads this data.) Basically this has cut load times in game from 40secs to around 7! yay!

not logged in and can't see the picture? no worries, just click here instead

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2009 21:10 Edited at: 11th Nov 2009 21:10
Very very cool! I have 3 suggestions:

1. I personally think the color of the blood is fine but the animation should be faster and it shouldn't stay on the screen as long. It looks like the blood is in zero gravity when everything else isn't.

2. I don't like how the character runs, he seems to hunched over. So I suggest making him stand up a bit more straight, OR keep him how he is now but make him run faster because I would bend over like that only if I'm running really really fast.

3. Add a skybox. I know you're probably going for the dark gloomy look but seeing nothing but black is just too gloomy and depressing for me lol

Other than that good work and hope to see more from this! (Unlike the gta retro game )

Your bedtime story is scaring everyone
If found my very own Fail!: http://cheezburger.com/View.aspx?aid=2712171776
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2009 23:27
Quote: "1. I personally think the color of the blood is fine but the animation should be faster and it shouldn't stay on the screen as long. It looks like the blood is in zero gravity when everything else isn't."

I actually like this effect, it reminds me of Gears of War.

The blood looks so...stylish. I can't even handle it. haha

I love the getting knocked down and shooting from the hip feature. That has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! Really shows what DBP is capable of Butters, I'm genuinely impressed by the cover system btw.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 05:14
Why can't Gears of War have a knock down system like that?

I guess you could say Call of Duty's last stand is the same sorta thing but it is not nearly that awesome

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks amazing. How do you produce so many great-looking things at once?

The shooting while sitting down is brilliant. It somehow adds a whole extra dimension of realism and believability.

I agree with the comment about the blood looking a bit odd though. That is my only reservation with this as it stands. I think if it's going to hang in the air like that it would look better as a sort of mist. As it is it looks like puddles in the air, which doesn't seem right to me.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 11:16
Heyyoufool1
Quote: "1. the blood should be faster and it shouldn't stay on the screen as long.
"

Noted. As I said, the blood has already been added to the "work on" list!

Quote: "I don't like how the character runs, he seems to hunched over. So I suggest making him stand up a bit more straight,make him run faster because I would bend over like that only if I'm running really really fast."

Ok, well this is kind of a gameplay. Firstly, I'm losing 15FPS just because I'm recording, so he is actually running faster than that. The second reason for the "hunch", is that I wanted the player to be lower than the "low Cover" when he was sprinting. Of course you can't shoot when sprinting so theres pro's and con's to it.

Quote: "Add a skybox."
LOLs, of course. This level is literally just walls and a few trees. I'll start building real decent levels once I've got all the gameplay dynamics out the way! Right now this is just a testing ground!
I actually like [the blood] it reminds me of Gears of War.
The blood looks so...stylish. I can't even handle it. haha
I love the getting knocked down and shooting from the hip feature. That has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen."

*hugs inspire* You were the first to comment on the knock down shooting so...yay. I'm pretty pleased with the blood. I think it will be fine once it's got some shaders on it. I was trying to emulate Gears, and I think when you're actually playing it might look a little better!
I got my girlfriend to play it when it just had knock downs, she was like "why can't I shoot when I'm knocked down?". She was asleep by the time I got it working! I'm working on getting the enemies to try and curb stomp you when you're downed!

Quote: "Wow! Really shows what DBP is capable of Butters, I'm genuinely impressed by the cover system btw."

Lols ,thank you. If people are interested I might release a cover tutorial when I get nearer to release.
Why can't Gears of War have a knock down system like that?
I guess you could say Call of Duty's last stand is the same sorta thing but it is not nearly that awesome "

haha, yes well, GOW does have ALOT of things that this doesn't though!! I'd forgotten about last stand in COD. To be honest, I based my floorshooting from the similar feature in the second Max Payne game!

Plotinus.
Ha, thanks man. I'm going to put it down to chronic insomnia, I sleep like 4hrs a night. Generally work on projects from 10pm - 3am every night. You can get alot done when you cut down on sleep! I should also add that I'm trying to work with more collaborators on games, and do real design documents for my projects. It adds to the time taken to plan it, but then I think speeds subsequent development, because you know exactly what you need to be doing next!

I'm going to try and get a rough and dirty demo together before I go to america. There is alot of media to zip and protect though!

Thanks for the comments guys, it's really really appreciated!
Best
Butters

I want robotic legs.
Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 13:17
Looks fu**tastic man!

Besides the fact that it's really polished and high quality, it has something unique to it and looks fun to play (which is more important than the first point imo).

Keep on rocking

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 22:05
Yeah, yeah, awesome but... I hope this one will be finished...

Make games, not war.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Helpful opinions

Positive
: Looks awesome and game play looks good
: Great lighting
: Great Gorey deaths

Negative
: Needs to be a little bit more original than Gears of War
: the models need improvement
: I can't see the protagonist reloading when it says reloading
: Camera needs some improvement too( When you look down to shoot the guy the camera doesn't go down with it)
: Animation needs improvement

The reason why it needs to be more original than Gears of War is cause just about every game designer wants to copy it and everyone knows the cover and shoot system. I like of how you add the dive thing into it it just need to be away from Gears of War. Its like of how every fps game copy's the COD4 Gun aim thingy. Just add some more original ideas.

I had the same problem before like one time I thought of an idea for a video game called No Respect but it looked too much like Max Payne so I edited it a little bit.

Also I got a challenge for you
I've never seen a video game show a bullet hit on the person's skin like a squib in a movie. Could you perhaps try it?

I hope you didn't take this post that negative cause it looks good but it needs improvement.

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 01:12
Quote: "Yeah, yeah, awesome but... I hope this one will be finished..."

Hey! I'm like everyone else posting WIPs, I make no guarantees I'll finish. I'm just one dude trying to make a whole game. It's tough!!

Zachaoodle;

Negative
: Needs to be a little bit more original than Gears of War
Sure, I'm aware of that. I'm not trying to compete with Gears.

: the models need improvement
LOL, well, tough! That's literally the best I can do. It would obviously help if you were more specific, like UV mapping, number of polys, etc. But yeah, that's the best modelling I can do, and I was pretty proud of the characters. I think it's unfair to compare them to commercial titles, in my opinion, the models stand up against most other indy titles.

: I can't see the protagonist reloading when it says reloading

That's simply because that animation isn't done yet, that's why there is a bar instead!

: Camera needs some improvement too( When you look down to shoot the guy the camera doesn't go down with it)

Um, I think that's a design choice. When you do an execution it guarantees a kill, so really there is no need to see/aim. By keeping the camera up you can still see where the next enemy is coming from.

: Animation needs improvement

Like with the models comment, I appreciate the crit, but how can I make improvements to such a generalised crit? What animations need improvement? If it's all of it then forget it. If it's specific ones then maybe you could say which ones you don't like. Frankly I'm not using stock media, and I'm doing all the anims myself. I think that the quality of animations on these guys is easily as good as darkmatter, and anything else that's out on these forums.

So, thanks for the crit, but maybe you could come back with something more specific and constructive. I appreciate your honesty but really if you're saying I need to re-do all the models and animations then I might as well can the whole project. As an indy game I think the models and animations really hold their own. If you have specific crit on certain animations or characters, I'd love to hear them. Please bear in mind the level is just a test and bears no resemblence to the final game levels!

I want robotic legs.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 08:24
Quote: ": the models need improvement
LOL, well, tough! That's literally the best I can do. It would obviously help if you were more specific, like UV mapping, number of polys, etc. But yeah, that's the best modelling I can do, and I was pretty proud of the characters. I think it's unfair to compare them to commercial titles, in my opinion, the models stand up against most other indy titles."

Just look at the average FPSC models(Not Fletcher's, Bond1's or the other semi-proffesionals.) and you'll see what Butter means here.

Anyway! This is VERY impressing, I mean I knew you were good at this by now because of all the other projects you had running, but they just keep on getting better and better! Sure, I'm no fan of shooters in general, but this looks interesting enough... Blooooood

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 16:46
Had a look at the first video... (Will look at the second one when I'll be at home...)
But it's really excellent..
Not really fan of this kind of games, but I'm really sure I'll try it when a Demo will be availiable

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 02:42
looks like a really cool game^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
ThatOther Person
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool. I love third person cover based shooters like this and its looking great so far.

Carl CLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 02:14
Quote: "If people are interested I might release a cover tutorial when I get nearer to release."

It would be awesome, and I'm sure a whole bunch of people would be interested too!

It's looking really nice!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 16:13 Edited at: 19th Jan 2010 16:19
Hey guys, I know I've been off the radar since before xmas, but I've just been working really hard, and haven't had the time to put a forum post together for my stuff. I'm sorry. Please don't hate me...

Anyway, I've been making loads of progress with this game. I've worked really hard to get Hate-ed finished (the level editor for the game) and it now supports lots more stuff... like multiple lights and shadows. Different types of spawn and trigger zone, sound points etc.

Ingame too I've been doing alot of work. There are 4 new enemies, a crosshair, decent grenade physics (bouncing), improved health system, a "horde" mode with infinitely respawning random enemies, achievements, better melee with knockdowns, overhalled the weapons system, making accuracy more dynamic, and adding some very economical shell casings. all looking and playing well.

So... it's a bit difficult to make a video at the moment as the quad I normal record on is dead... so We'll have to make do with some screenshots until the February demo.

Thanks for looking in, please leave some feedback!!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 16:35
It looks great, I just think you took it too far with the whole Gears of War thing. The guy has Marcus' bandana, there are chainsaws, Horde, a red skull logo... Its all good I mean, either way it's an accomplishment, it just looks like its become more of a "lets see if I can make gears of war on my own" project rather than your own ideas.

Im sure it'll become more diverse as the engine progresses and you start adding in new features, but those are my two cents for the time being.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 17:21
Hey Ruccus,

Thanks for the input dude.
Quote: "The guy has Marcus' bandana, there are chainsaws, Horde, a red skull logo..."

LOL, I'll give you the bandana and the hordemode, but that's a circular saw and it's not on the player... and skulls... welllll what else am I going to use to represent kills?! jks

I think it does have alot of similarities with GOW, but then there are HUNDREDS of FPSC games that are basically a poor man's modern warfare or left for dead..

I assure you that it's more a mix of left for dead and gears, in that there are alot of the enemies that need brains as well as a big gun to beat. Also... this lacks a story mode all together... it's totally arcade, with each map playing out like deathmatch, or horde with player's trying to get points and cash to upgrade and play harder arenas.

I want robotic legs.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 20:42
Extremely nice stuff you have done here
I can only hope to be that fast and talented with my projects
Dont worrie about taking to long with the updates,keep this quality with the updates so will no one blame you when you are finished
Keep it up!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 17:07
Hello all.

I've done alot of updating work on Hate. After the gears of war similarities, I've gone back to the higher 3rd person camera, and I'm thinking of making this the main cam.

Anyway,

I've done a video featuring alot of the new weapons, and loads of gameplay. You can die now too, which kinda means that I die alot making the video!!

anyway, I feel like I fight to keep this one on page 1 of this board but here goes,

updated "gameplay so far video"
(sorry about the quality, I don't think youtube compressor likes the amount of grey in the video!"

I want robotic legs.
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 17:32
looks superb, the animations are very smooth and crisp, my only issue is that the weapons don't seem to fit, while everything is apocaliptic and futuristic the weapons fell too modern
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 17:48
I think this looks great! A little polish on the textures wouldn't hurt, right now it looks like something drawn in paint. Don't get me wrong though, just a suggestion.

Does it support LAN multiplayer?

TheComet

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 19:31
The Comet.
Thanks. Believe me that's youtube ruining things.. the textures are all 1024x1024, and pretty damn good no stretching, and very little pixelation. If I had a better movie editor than WMM I would be able to show that off :-(

I want robotic legs.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think it does have alot of similarities with GOW, but then there are HUNDREDS of FPSC games that are basically a poor man's modern warfare or left for dead.."

I don't want to argue but,

It would look a lot better if you just set a couple of things far off from gears of war. Games that copy too many ideas from a game turn out to become horrible games. I see of how yours is more original like the demon thing, but try to fix up the armor and bandanna along with improving the cover and shoot idea.

I've seen many games copy Modern Warfare 2 and end up becoming crap, it gets kinda tiring having to see someone copy the same idea over and over again... The rechargeable health and the gun moving to the sight thing.

Trust me I use to be in the same situation, making games original makes them fun.

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 01:10
Quote: "I don't want to argue but"
actually you do?

Look, thanks for you thoughts but you're missing my point. The point I was trying to illustrate was that this is nothing like gears of war, yes, cosmetically it has a cover system and it's 3rd person, and the guy has a bandana, but that's like saying World of Warcraft and God of War are clones because they both have orks, swords and are 3rd person.

anyway, in the spirit of replying to feedback
Quote: "try to fix up the armor and bandanna"

Thanks...but...How? What is wrong with it? TExturee? Mesh ? animation? I'm not capable and don't have the time to make it look like something out of a AAA title, so what can I do to improve it. I'm not really intending to start all over again, so maybe if you could be more specific with what needs changing I can look at it.

Quote: "I've seen many games copy Modern Warfare 2 and end up becoming crap, it gets kinda tiring having to see someone copy the same idea over and over again "

Yes I agree entirely... which is precisely why I'm not making a MW2 clone.And yes it is indeed tiring to see the same ideas over and over. Out of interest, other than Gears, how many other cover-based 3rd person shoot-em-up tournament games set in hell can you name?

Quote: "Trust me I use to be in the same situation, making games original makes them fun."

Again, thanks for the quality advice. If you check my other threads and blog, you'll see that most of the projects I do are considerably less "Obvious" in their gameplay and ideas. But. Like I said, the challenge with this one is not to make some crazy original game where you play a scubadiving banana or something, but to make a fun shoot-em-up.

I want robotic legs.
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 02:46 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 02:46
You have some amazing programming skills.

Want to work on Desolation? Click my sig!!!
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 06:25 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 06:27
Quote: "Quote: "I don't want to argue but"
actually you do?"

Uh... No just giving an opinion... Judging by the way you typed you looked like you were confused and stressed at me as if you wanted to throw a temper tantrum and strangle me?

(LOL)

Look, all I said that your game looked somewhat of a clone of Gears of war by looking at how he has a bandanna and how the model of the armor looks like its from Gears of war and I was earlier talking about how the animation needed more frames.

Quote: "3rd person shoot-em-up tournament games set in hell can you name?"

As for shooters taking place in hell... Either Quake or Doom,

Its a great game just in need of some improvement.

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 13:32
I was stressed. You've posted the same crit twice, and both times I've accepted your comments and asked for further info. This is the first time you've mentioned more frames.

Do you think perhaps you just don't like the animation? I mean, the player has 2000 frames of animations. The run animation is 30 frames and the game runs at 30FPS, so more frames wouldn't make it smoother.

I've been thinking about the character. Fair enough he has a bandanna. He is also BALD and has a BEARD and is wearing SUNGLASSES. None of these are very Marcus Phoenix.

To be straight up honest, I'm not very good at face modelling. I didn't even make the head, I cut it off a character that Jon Fletcher made and I bought in the TGC store. If it's really causing that much of a Gears Clone issue, I'll go back to the marine head that I was using in the first proofs.
Stuff changing the armour, millions of games have armour like that.

Quote: "As for shooters taking place in hell... Either Quake or Doom"
Neither of those are 3rd person, or feature a cover system.

Quote: "Its a great game just in need of some improvement."

I agree. Infact, right now its not really a game, it's still very much a WIP. Hopefully by the time it's a finished game I'll have ironed out the bits that are bugging you!

I want robotic legs.
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 15:43
butter fingers, i'd be happy to model a head for you, if you want a reference heres a link to a recent head thread i made, i can retapologise and therefore lower the poly count on any of the ones you see, or if you want i can make one from scratch

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166167&b=3
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just seen this and I'm speechless...

Excellent!
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 14:30 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2010 14:41
Calm down, I told you that I didn't want to argue.

I told you that it looks cool just in need of improvement.
That's all, Nothing that's supposed to go against you or anything just friendly advice.
I don't want to go through anymore immature arguments. All I said is that some of it does not look original.
I was stressed out the same way I was told many times that a drawing of my for a game that I wanted to make looks like Master Chief. I kept on throwing the piece of paper away many times till it looks cool and original.

I love your game alright and I know your guy isn't Marcus.
Just stay cool, alright.

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 01:16
And you still have not elaborated on your criticism

IMO the animations look fine.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 08:56
Even though I'm not a big fan of 3rd person shooters, this is looking great. 3D models, blood splatters, sound fx, etc., all nicely done.

Off subject, but I tried responding to your emails regarding Phenom, Butter Fingers, but I'm assuming it went to your junk mail box instead? Anyway, let me know if you're still interested in the project.

Phenom - MP FPS WIP - With bot support, even online!
Official Website -> http://xeridox.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 10:28
Quote: "As for shooters taking place in hell... Either Quake or Doom"

Neither of which are third person or cover based...

@zachadoodle,

Also I have to agree with Airslide here that you still haven't elaborated on your criticism.

Normally your criticism comes across badly and you leave people feeling offended for the wrong reasons. In my experience you are trying to help but you rub people up the wrong way by sounding like you just want to put the game down, I also know from experience that this isn't the case!

@butterfingers, I hope you can see past this as @zachadoodle was (despite the way he comes across) genuinely trying to help.

I can actually see his point. This game does have a lot of similarities to GOW on first glance, however you can't put this game down for having a cover system or a main character wearing a bandana either... did GOW rip off Metal Gear Solid? Did Metal Gear Solid rip off something else (maybe the Rambo games on the spectrum)? Ever since Vietnam games have had these features (on computers or in the playground) and the game should be judged by its content not by a few minor similarities!

Butterfingers has produced some really cool original looking stuff that I've seen and I'm sure this will prove to be one of the best of them.

Peace and back to the game!

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 04:25 Edited at: 24th Feb 2010 04:26
Quote: "Also I have to agree with Airslide here that you still haven't elaborated on your criticism."

Well I didn't actually mean to piss anyone off... It's just that in most of everyone's point of view like mine there has to be an audience that everyone hates that has to. In most audiences there are artistic graphics and awesome gameplay

Now I know what your thinking that annoying cussing 12 year old who plays CodM2 all day

The graphics I ignore most of the time, Mostly because the games I play have horrible graphics, like look at System Shock 2. Don't judge a book by its cover that game was freaking great!

The point I'm trying to prove here is some peer review and help you out as if this is like a written story exam. I may sound like a jerk off when I tell you that it needs improvement even though it took long hours to edit, and you turn in your paper a thousand times, but it helps you know that you paid attention and did a hell of a lot better than all of the other students who just hated their life in the class (Ex. SUPERMAN THE VIDEO GAME )

Now tell me I love your story, but don't you think it would look a lot better if there were less mistakes that deal with grammar? I'm not telling you that the story was horrible. If that story was just 2 paragraphs I would tell you that there would need add more to the story. Like when I just look at something and all I see is some other kid's story I say try to think more out of the box. Try harder on the story and you would not only impress the teacher, but every student around you in the class would droll in excitement once they hear that story. In the end because the child knew the mistakes he made he went from a 64 E(Different grading system in my country ) to a 105 A. Mostly because he paid attention and realize that he could do really well If he tried his best.

Why'd right now I bet your finding a lot of grammar mistakes in this that I would never think of or pay attention to.

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 11:34
Are you on drugs? That was the most rambling, senseless, badly written trash I've ever had posted in my threads. There's actually so much wrong in there that I don't even know if I can respond. For most of that I have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote: "It's just that in most of everyone's point of view like mine there has to be an audience that everyone hates that has to."

What?
Quote: "Now tell me I love your story, but don't you think it would look a lot better if there were less mistakes that deal with grammar?"

I think your post would make alot more sense if there were less mistakes that deal with grammar.

TheZachadoodle, the funniest thing is that you still haven't elaborated on your criticism. I don't need crazy metaphors about how my game is like school and trying harder. I've been out of school for 10 years! To be honest, what you are saying is not very constructive or useful. I refuse to argue with someone who is incapable of constructing a proper response, and instead starts rambling. No offence, I appreciate your interest, but I won't be responding to your posts in future, they aren't helping to spark constructive discussion, and I don't want this thread locked.

Airslide,
Cheers for that, it was good to know I wasn't the only one thinking that. BTW I've added you to a googlewave for Buhsido Shuffle. DO let me know what you think.

Baxslash

Thanks dude. It's interesting but really the current character meshes levels and weapons are all kinda placemarker. Really at the moment these is no story or plot, its just a pretty solid shooter engine. WHo knows. Once the engine is finished I might throw in a bunch of rabbits with uzis, or gun fighting potatoes or something, right now the graphical content is irrelevant, I'm just working on the gameplay and core engine coding.

I want robotic legs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:21:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:21:45