Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Fruit Wars - Strategy/RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 05:45 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 06:57
Oh yeah, and weapon idea: Double-sided spear/axe. Heres a horrible sketch that looks more like double-sided shovels instead lol.

And yes, im horrible at doing this, if i had a scanner it would be much easier. Im a great artist on paper.

Also im going to be gone tommorow. Probally not the whole day. But 5 hours at least.

-------------------SIG---------------------------------

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Trenton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 22:53
This looks very nice. GL on the project!

TK-Games
Zombie Fall Online official site - http://www.zombiefall.tk
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 00:22
Quote: "- is very small in resource size."

I just looked at the file size for the editor, it's only 3.79 MB
I think we can do alot more and keep it small. Unless you meant EXTREMELY small lol.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 05:41
Where have you been ashingda? I havent heard from you for awhile, did you finish the DXS commands?

GotAway
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 07:19 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 07:35
This looks awesome But where's the demo? I looked in OP and it said "demo below is not up to date" but I went as below as below goes and I can't find a download link Really want to get into this lol

Edit: Decided to read through every page in this thread and found a link in a small post on page 3 You should leave one in a more obvious spot

If a tree falls in the forest and kills a woman - Wait.... why the hell is there a forest in the kitchen?
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 08:08
@GotAway Yeah, I said that too at first, if you have any ideas, ashingda will take them, though I havent seen him in a couple days.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 21:26 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 21:28
@GotAway
Demo is getting reworked. There will be no need for one at the moment because this project is now opensource.

@Darkzombies
Been busy with studying, been working on the battle simulator will post when it gets working or semi-working. It's just transfering codes from the old source to the new but is still hard because of the new sprite function/usage. By the way I'd probably not add any new weapons or sprites in general until after majority of the codes functions.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 23:50 Edited at: 10th Aug 2011 00:26
Hey Ashingda, if you're not busy, can you make me a hunter sprite, a tall tree sprite, and possibly an edited version of the map editor with those sprites in it. I'm trying to make a forest area for my game, but I'm not too good with art... on the computer anyways. Also maybe an Indian guy with a spear. And a symbol that can be color coordinated based on tribe. Well thanks in advance, but if you're too busy, I understand.

EDIT: I just realized, I have no idea how you made the map get read by the actual game, so if you can tell me that too, thanks lol. I also forgot one thing, make the hunters cloak or whatever he's wearing dark green. (I guess it doesn't matter since i could just change it, but it would help )

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Darkzombies
I dont have any problems making sprites for you when I get time but you got to be more specific. Like what sprite size, how many directions the sprite faces, what kind of animations(walk/attack/etc), and how many frames you plan to use per animation. Personally I try to dumb down the amount of sprite frames as much as I can but still enough to have a decent effect.

Quote: "I have no idea how you made the map get read by the actual game"

The map is loaded into the map array first during the "Initialize.dba" page. It is a subroutine found in the "Editor.dba" page. The program then uses those data and displays the corresponding tile frame.

Lets try to keep this thread on topic. For other matters contact me through my e-mail . Ashingda@gmail.com

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 05:19 Edited at: 12th Aug 2011 05:25
Updates:
- Battle simulator is working although still lacking a lot of features.
- Fixed a few variable bugs in the source.
- Added a white-out version of the character sprite for effect.
- Battle simulator can be access through the Editor or by flagging the variable "GamePhase" in the main loop page. Source is currently using the 2nd option.
- Simulator controls: Right-click and drag to scroll. Spacekey to send troops off.

Ideas:
Since the screen size increased it forced the map size to increase as well, I'm thinking of capping the troops at 200 vs 200.

Screenshot of Battle Simulator.

Download project from 2nd post or here.
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1897806

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 20:57 Edited at: 12th Aug 2011 21:22
Found a bug on main loop, it says
When it should say

Also, will there be some sort of minimap, or a way to manage troops and such?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 00:00 Edited at: 18th Sep 2013 12:57
Yes glad you remind me about the minimap I forgot about it. I started working on it but just put it on hold atm, should be done soon. Working on the formation control of troops right now.

About the "ink" statement if you installed the Matrix1Utils plugin by IanM it adds a lot more commands and fixes to DBPro.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85209&b=18

You are correct though. I try to use the native command syntax as much as I can for comparability issues on open projects but it slips sometimes.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 01:38
Ah i see, but if you didnt understand, by manage troops i mean like replace dead troops, give better armor/weapons, or something like that. Just an idea.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 06:25 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 02:33
Also, are we going to do more maps? Or at least a tutorial map?

EDIT: I was reading through the code, (still not done, you've done alot) I realized that after saving/loading, you should probally have a crash-check. Thats pretty much a ELSE statment that just tells you theres no file available or elsewise.

And also, What is intergrated into the storyline? Since this game revolves around the battle I assume storyline will be the current enemy and the player conversing a bit before some occasional battles, or a small cutscene. You said the storyline will be dull, so I'm guessing more likely the first one. And what we need to do is put the storyline from the description in a little before-game cutscene. (Which could just be a battle, and the camera auto-scrolling across it slowly while the text is shown and informs the player why everyone is fighting. Of course it doesnt have to be that complicated at all. That was just an idea, an easier way would just to have a black screen while it's informing the player, of course thats never as fun. )

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 22:44 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 22:45
Quote: "Also, are we going to do more maps? Or at least a tutorial map?"

No just that one map, as for tutorial it'll be old school just pick up as you go.

Quote: "you should probally have a crash-check"

Yes, I've just been putting it off because I know exactly what files are there and none are missing .

As for story that will be worked on later, I like to get a working engine first then mess with plots, dialogs and all the other hard to do things.

Updates 8/21/11
- Formation and formation editor working.
- Added gui/hud from older version.
- Added the battle minimap.

Download here or 2nd post.

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 23:25 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 01:45
kk, glad you're back lol. For the story, you already made that up basically. We just need a little intro that tells the storyline from the description.

EDIT: Already a bug, not sure if it's my resolution or my computer, but the formation bar thing is 3/4 off the screen and I can't see it.

I have a windows 7, my resolution is 1024 x 768.

And just an idea, can you make the black part of the minimap transparent, or slightly transparent.

Guess I can do it, I'll experiment.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 01:41 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 01:55
Quote: "my resolution is 1024 x 768"

It's a resolution bug, I wasn't suppose to put a fixed value for the formation buttons lol. Thanks for catching it.

[Edit]
The minimap was transparent at first but it didn't look good, I tried giving it an outline too but didn't like it. It seems simple is better.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 02:06 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 05:36
Oh ok. Well I just got a good idea for a spell randomly lol. A spell that blurs everything and makes you're enemies blind. Probally hard to do. But i've seen people make small little codes for pixelizing and stuff like that.

P.S. by blind I mean just mess up the AI so they attack and move randomly.

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POSTING:

I'm confused on what I can do. While you're just recoding. I don't know what I can really add too it until you redo basically everything before. If you can give me something to add I can try to do it.

Second Edit:
You really only check this everytime you update... I understand real-life stuff, well, not really lol. I have nothing to do... thats probally why I check all of the forums everyday lol. When school starts I'll probally be just as busy. So anyways, I guess the most I can really do at the moment too is give code snippets, i probally have some horrible ways too do stuff. And most likely some bad habits. But if I come up with something. I would help in whatever way I could.

Also, can you sort of clean this up and help me a bit with it?
I'll attach the file with my horrible temp images too.

Too lazy to make a signature.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 07:20 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2011 07:22

I've been putting this off for a bit having to study. This section of the coding turned out to be a lot funner than I imagined.

I've even learned a few very cool new tricks, one I'd like to mention is a non-pixel based collision check on an irregular isometric box like the minimap I use. Actually that was exactly what I used it for.

The other one is while I was trying to figure out a decent way to work the "Reform" command during the battle, it tells your troops to reform up the original formation with what ever amount of troops are left. There were times when a single troop would walk from one side of the map to the other to fill an empty slot, that was undesirable so it hit me that while checking for the next grid to walk onto if there was a stationary troop, they would swap places. If there is a line of stationary troops the effect would chain through and everyone will take a step to fill in the slot instead of that single troop walking all they way. Anyways it's noticeable in the program.

Updates:
- Fixed the formation editor to be able to set troops into different groups which is used with the different battle commands.
- HUD for the battle is completed, it now shows the stats values and hp/mp gauges correctly.
- Formations are all implemented and working correctly.
- Formation Commands are also completed.
- Minimap now displays where the screen is veiwing it.
- Minimap can now navigate the screen by clicking on it and you can also drag it around.

Things to do:
Now going to start transferring the skills, special effects and sounds.

Download link:

Attachments

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 08:22
This looks like very tasty work. I don't know much about AppGameKit, but this game would kill on iOS if you could somehow port it over.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 09:54
I noticed something. It would be nicer if the GUI did that entering motion thing when exiting too. You probally already realized that lol.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Good thing you mentioned it because I kinda forgot about it, thanks. I've already fixed it so it does that. I'm adding sounds to the game now, it really makes a big difference with just a few beep/click noise while in the menus, it's crazy!

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 08:58 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 03:02
Haha, its funny how it can.

Also just a question, whats a good way to learn the basics of 2D?

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also just a question, whats a good way to learn the basics of 2D?"

I'd analyze older 2d games and try to figure out how to get the same results with the simplest way you can think up while still using the least amount of resource and process as you can.

But really all it comes down to is "Figure it out" or "Read it up (if any)", sorry cant help much on this subject.

FruitWars:
I'm trying to finish up transferring all the skills, just got 4 left to do. It wasn't a simple copy and past, I ended up having to rewrite alot of them to fit with the new changes and some even got upgraded. Alot of the older codes were redundant so some array and variables were added or taken out and everything else has to be adjusted as well not to mention countless testings to make sure it actually works. A few new effect sprites were also made in the process.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 18:58 Edited at: 21st Oct 2011 07:10
Oops, please remove.

t is s gnat re h as ben destro ed by A m d
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 07:11 Edited at: 21st Oct 2011 07:11
Any news? Its been quite awhile, Ive learned so much this last couple weeks

t is s gnat re h as ben destro ed by A m d
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 12:55
@ Ashingda 27 - this game would be great on the iPad / iPhone etc. Would you be interested in converting it to AppGameKit?

Contact me direct at rick (at) thegamecreators.com

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 01:18 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2012 01:18
Alright I'm back again. Been very busy playing Dark Souls and Skyrim also revisiting a few older games and some of my all time favorites.

Made lots of changes.

31-DEC-2011
- Made lots of changes to sprites.
* Arms are taken off the body spries and merged with the Weapon_Front sprite.
* Doing the above allowed alot more combination and animations with different weapons.
* New animation frame (Standing).
* A few weapon sprites go a new walk animation mainly the 2 handed weapons like spear and larger swords.
* Added dual swords.
* Monarch sprites have been updated to be compatible with the new changes.
* Minor changes to the Terrain sprites, fixes to the tree colors and modified one of the dead trees.
- Monarch color and fruits changed. All colors except for black was swaped with another. Did this cause I CAN and I wanted to.
- Troops now have a movement delay after bumping into a collision. Delay time is random 8+rnd(8).
- Map now generate trees. Different trees are generated depending on the map type. Deserts will spawn cactus while mountain spawns Pine.
- All skills are done except for the retreating ones.
- New spell that summons the dead. Both ally and enemy fallen troops gets summoned as skeletons.
- Formations are changed up a bit.
- Some troops are able to walk through trees or walls now.
- Toned down the colors alot.
- Sprites are displayed at 200% at a higher resolution rather than just stretching the screen size.

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 00:05 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2012 00:09
Nice to see you back, keep up the good work

Also, is there an updated demo?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:55:50
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:55:50