Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Eris Lite - 2D Random Dungeon RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 04:23 Edited at: 4th Dec 2009 04:52
I am creating this game from original Mac Pascal source code, created by Ingemar Ragnemalm.

This is what I have so far, with my graphic embellishments and coding. I am planning on releasing this as soon as I get all of the player data situated and the game actually working.

It is science fiction. It is in the same vein as "Moria", "Rogue" and "Angband", so I hope you like it...

[EDIT: I added this as per Dragon Knight's addendum. Sorry. I completely forgot about the link. ... The link to my original post: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=160410&b=1 ]

[/url]
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 05:02 Edited at: 30th Nov 2009 05:10
O.o ahm..

-Major Edit of flame message hehe -

If you just added this link i'd be much happier, as I had no idea what you were talking about or how much you've done.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=160410&b=1

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 20:09
Thank you Dragon Knight.
That truly helps the cause.

To be honest, Dragon Knight, I completely got entangled with some strange compiler errors and forgot to add the link. Thanks.

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 20:40
Here are some screenshots for what I'm doing.
I'm still working on it-- it's giving me some odd compiler errors, but I think it might be because of multiple-defined variable names... LOL

[/url]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 21:21
Please understand: I am trying to get this all working and work on eliminating the Alphanumeric Tiles replacing those with actual colored texts, but making status changes could be done with icons in a Status Location on the main screen.

Status Problems like:
Poison
Petrification
Undead Infection
Blindness
Confusion
Viral Contamination
Toxin Infliction
... I know there are others, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

As a fan of "Moria" and "Angband" (and their spin-offs), I wanted to create a game that I wanted to play! I am nearing that milestone-- once I find the proper Level Increase algorithms and some sound effects.

The additional tiles I'd like to create are:
Specific Weapons (Ranged and Melee)
Shields, Fields and Screens
Traps
Doors (Open, Locked, Broken)
Potions and Healing Items
Treasures (Gems, Gold, Jewelry)
additional gear / clothing

I may or may not decide to add in the additional tiles. As I said before, the map is a type of radar. I could just make a few generic tiles out of little used Alphanumeric Tiles, like those below:

I am also using UPPER and lowercase tiles, too. In the second shot, you can see them as the green text. I am trying to work that into something else, though I'm not sure which way that'll go. I am thinking of using all of the major texts, UPPERCASE, and anything that's a communication from your "Programmable Data Manager" in lowercase, using that 'alternate' tiled font. (Still not sure yet... )

For those of you who are fans of "Rogue", "Moria", "Angband", please drop me your suggestions. I want to be able to make this the kind of game that brings nostalgia, yet something new!

Currently, additional files are being used only for additional texts. I have no idea for creating a text parser for items, enemies and stores. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I would like to know, not through code, but through a detailed explanation. I feel that there's a better way to do it, but I need to figure this aspect out. These other games use them; "Angband" and it's ilk are open-source; but I do not want to use something that works for "Angband" and try to convert it to my purposes. (I think I'm over-analyzing this. PLEASE HELP! )

[/url]
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
put jepgs INTO the post
i dont wana download to see pics

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2009 19:43
yeah, that'd be better...

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2009 21:56
What does the gameplay screen look like? All I see is a completely visible map. What type of LOS algorithm are you going to use? There are several roguelike LOS algorithms out there. Will the room light up completely upon entry?

The screen shots look like you have a giant monitor and I do not get a sense of scale-ability from the UI. Make sure that people with smaller sized monitors can still play your game.

My biggest fave of action RPGs is having a pet that can fight and do stuff. More than just the cat/dog in NetHack, perhaps even a mercenary? I'm just a big fan of NPC helpers or summoned monsters to help me fight.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 03:33
Sorry. The screens are .PNG and not .JPG-- I hate jpeg because they lack the true color process... (Though they are 16-bit color...)

Anyway, it's a test of the random dungeon generator, currently. That's part of the reason it is visible.

I am planning on a square of 3x3 tiles around the player pic, and then adjusting it to become a full map when the player explores it all or comes across a data-pad that contains the entire map. I am also exploring the option of using a special lighting algorithm for 'torches'/'flashlights' and/or satellite-style search drones. (Not sure, but it sure would be neat to explore... lol )

Tiresius: It is entirely possible to bring in an additional person/persons, as long as there's code for it. But, as of right now, there's no algorithm for that yet. I am also exploring the possibility of LAN or WiFi for multiplayer-- but I'm not sure how to code that yet... (I think this would be cool, but using an algorithm for 'AI' NPC helpers could be possible. It just means MORE CODE. ... LOL)

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 17:43
I like that idea of having someone fight alongside you. The assistance can be life or death, especially at much higher levels.

The only REAL HEADACHES I find are their inability to realistically determine what is an enemy and attack it, a possible ally and negotiate with it, or an obstacle and avoid it. Even a locked door that could be bashed to open an escape route would be helpful, when you've outfitted your helper with the equipment to bash doors, but yet he decides to try bashing the wall nearby, the enemy you're trying to get away from, or just stands there-- looking stupid-- which it is at this point!

What kinds of things would you want to be able to drop into an AI algorithm, for your battling/exploration assistance?

(Yes... I am exploring this facet. I hope to get some kind of idea about those things. Thanks.)

<On a side note: I programmed UCSD Pascal on the Apple II+ back a few years, and created a map exploration algorithm for the LOGO Turtle that was a part of its Graphics Package. I'd like a drone to search and map a certain region, in a patrolled area. Would any of you be interested in this?>

[/url]
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
What I've always wanted to see in roguelikes is more logical dungeons and inhabitants. In the classic games the monsters are just random, though appropriate to the difficulty level - so you might get (say) an orc, a zombie, and a giant snake in one room. But what are they all doing in there? Why don't they fight each other? I would prefer it if the dungeons made sense as environments rather than just places containing monsters to kill. For example: what if a level, or part of a level, were a goblin fortress, with the various rooms in it being identifiable as bedrooms, guard rooms, throne room, etc., and containing only goblins or their allies? It would make more sense.

Also, if the monsters had the intelligence to work together and perhaps adapt their fighting styles depending on who else was there. For example: a standard goblin might be armed with a bow and a small sword. Encounter just one by himself and he will shoot arrows at you from a distance and draw his sword as you get close - not a great challenge. But encounter six together, and perhaps two will go in and fight with swords while three hang back and shoot, and the other one sneaks around the back to try to get you from behind. That sort of thing would make it all much more interesting.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 08:38 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 08:39
Great ideas Plotinus! That does make more sense...! I never liked just aimlessly running around in those dungeons, looking for more arse to stomp, and then get my arse handed to me, by a creature that looked harmless from the picture-- never could tell what that was...

Logical layouts are a great way to make the 'dungeon' more believable. All too often, even playing randomly generated dungeon crawlers, there's no rhyme or reason to the levels, but to venture deeper, and pray you don't encounter the Yeti or the Wampus, or the Dreaded Most-Evil-Creature-You'll-Ever-See (MECYES)...!

Don't get me wrong, this is a great idea-- banding creatures of said type to fight, using appropriate tactics-- but even this kind of thing, being more of a hassle for most, and more fun (like Chess) for others, can eventually become a trudge-fest. Here's an example:

Plotinus, I completely agree with you. More variety in these games is always the way to go-- the only issues I can see:
the 'floors' are fully pre-generated with names, furnishings and such -or-
the 'floors' are generated using pre-created rooms with pathways linking them in a meaningful way.

I could see, using a lighting algorithm, to name the rooms as the player would venture either near an entrance (there's a placard on the wall/door that reads ...), or by placing the name of the room on the floor inside the room. If your avatar found a datacube that contained the current floor map, it would list the rooms and label them, too. (i.e. Computer Lab VI, F-Lavatory, M-Lavatory, Lounge, etc.) This could work, at least, fundamentally...

Here's the stuff I think can be worked:
I) the tactics issue I could work in using a set style or two, like for an AI accomplice: Patrol, Scout, Protect, etc. depending on whether the enemy has some kind of intelligence.

II) the room layouts would be more work than I think necessary, but an option to consider. I don't necessarily think it's out of the question, just additional planning and work...

III) having enemies either work together or kill each other off. It's been done in other games, requires a bit more planning and a form of active AI algorithm, and some kind of 'natural enemies' tag/flag in the Enemies type...

IV) another idea came to mind: using a computerized player-programmable drone. If the player uses it for scouting or patrolling, it'll go out to a set number of paces, and return... What if it encountered an enemy or enemy group? If there's an enemy intelligence, then it may decide to follow the drone, right to the player!... (It's a thought...)

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 07:04 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 07:06
Here are my screenshots: #1 & #2 are redefined with a different font. #3 is my pre-play final choice screen.

I altered it by hand, as that is more how I wanted it to look. I have to get the texts in place, and the borders how I want them... LOL

Anyway, looking into defining the rooms akin to Plotinus' suggestions. I may not be able to drop in the furniture, but I can, at least, either label the rooms, with a guide next to the map (or a key with a pull-up menu, or something), or completely label the rooms with tiles or texts.

I may be able to do something like:

I am working for a solution to define enemies, players, objects and obstacles as sprites. Once I have my algorithms, I should be able to generate a few screenshots of the random placement, and possibly a video of my efforts.

For those of you that are keeping track of this WIP, Thank you for your perseverance and patience. I want this game to be something that we can ALL enjoy and play into the wee hours o'the mornin'!

[EDIT: How do you drop more than one file into a forum message without compacting a folder, for someone to view? I guess I could drop them to the Gallery, but they are not that impressive... Yet.]

[/url]

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 05:44 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 06:25
A gigantic rewrite is in the works. Though, I am not going to do that just yet, there are other things that I must include or revise before I can do that. All in all, it seems to work, as is.

I would like to ask about alternate Tile Sets. I am including 3: an Intellivision-style version (in the screenshots), a sci-fi stylized one, and a Wild West inspired set. Any queries are welcome for this.

Also, anyone willing to craft a text file for the makeshift village would be appreciated. I want to call the town "Crater Falls". The town would need those things that are listed in the source I provided back in the other forum. (I will drop that particular source, here, for a download. If you build it as a simple text file, the dimensions can be as small as 20x20 tiles.) Another idea: create the map using hexadecimal letters (0-9, A-F). After the map, list what these represent. I.e. 0 = floor, 1 = wall, etc.

=====
Don't forget the older file to download...
=====

[/url]

Attachments

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 06:12 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 06:18
I am going to be working on this diligently. I do have obligations in SecondLife, for Christmas and New Years', and a few at home. Around these, I will be hammering away at this.

I want to have a working version available before Christmas, for a Christmas present to all of you!
I wish you a wonderful, prosperous and eventful Holiday Season-- it'll be TEH GREATEST!

"It takes a mother and father to bring a child into the world, but it takes a village to raise that child into a prosperous member of society." - paraphrased
"Never let a day go by without learning something-- That day may be your last..." - a philosophy my father told me, I still use it today.
(thanks, dad, i <3 u)

< I lost the original Pascal source. Yes, the one I was translating. > The issue was that I had been editing the original! (That's a rookiee thing!!!) I recently found the true original and looked it over, realizing things I had missed. < This is the reason for the rewrite... >

[/url]
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2009 21:50
I just want to say keep up the good work.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 18:53
Thanks, david w.
I have been working on this for a while now and seem to be getting it flowing a little better. I will be dropping a few new screenshots to view in a couple of days.

BTW: Happy New Year! to everyone on the TGC forums and Staff! Thank you for a memorable year-- AND WITH A LITTLE LUCK-- A FEW MORE!
CHEERS!

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 20:33
Okay.
Sorry for the wait, but there's a little more waiting...

I am trying to get this working, and another complete rewrite is in the works.

I guess you could say, "With every great game concept, there's another great rewrite..." LOL Anyway, I am working on this around a paying project-- I hope I can drop the time in for this as I wind down from the other project (and getting my RP Sim set up in SL, also based on the same RPG).

So much stuff-- So little time!...

Please keep the suggestions coming. I need some additional inspiration. Thanks.

[/url]
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 21:36 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2010 21:38
Quote: "Would any of you be interested in this?>"

I posted an code snippet with some clever tile based pathfinding you could use

I made it because i whas bored and wanted to try to get in to coding again

Simply check the code snippets section as you cant miss it if you want it.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=163691&b=6
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 03:38
@Cliff: I checked it out. It looks good.

I had been looking into sending a small probe to go out and just scout, then report back, giving an area that did not need to be 'searched'. This program and file are quite good, and well planned. Good show!

The primary algorithm I suggested, was to use a set number of steps with a map section that is unknown, map it, and report back to the player. This one you devised seems to be more "find the exit" and calculate the steps to get there, then map it. It's well done, nonetheless.

Keep up the good work...
I am wondering about making this program more compact, less reliant on the 'image' file, and able to determine from the indices of the MapPictures, the pathway, following walls to patrol the next room ... then follow the pathway back to the player.

[/url]
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 17:23
Quote: "The primary algorithm I suggested, was to use a set number of steps with a map section that is unknown, map it, and report back to the player. This one you devised seems to be more "find the exit" and calculate the steps to get there, then map it. It's well done, nonetheless."

You can easially change the code! as you can set an random target for the drone and simply limit how many steps of the found path that the drone can walk etc.
I made it for my own project ,so if you can use any of it do so
Cheers.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 01:17
@Cliff: Thanks for the algorithm. I will look into using it for the game, possibly as a discoverable device...

This game is taking shape more and more... I just wish I had more time to work on it!...

(I have a gig to create a kiosk app for a/v client/server communication... DarkNET... Lots of time spent here... Need to code some stuff for Eris Lite... And other nifty things...)

I will post another WIP later, but I need to catch some sleep... (Such a long couple of nights. )

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2010 17:57
Sorry for the lateness of this post. I am currently working on another project and have been anxiously trying to get back into this.

I want to create a master Tile File, of 8x8 tiles, and by taking pieces out, as tiles, for the game.

Here's the idea:
32 to 90 for numbers, UPPERCASE, and punctuation
91 to 96 for special characters (©, ®, {, |, }, ™, ~)
97 to 122 for lowercase
10 to 20 for the map border tiles
300 to 500 for the possible monsters/creatures

Another possibility:
additional colors for other players (should I make this into a multiplayer game)

I would like to be able to include special items for groups/clans/guilds who play-- special item storage and other perks... Just not sure where that could be implemented ... yet. (Suggestions please.)

[/url]
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 04:22
I understand that there are some people that were working on something in the same vein as "Moria", "Hack", "Angband" that has the same kind of gameplay and sush as 'Eris Lite'.

I wanted to be able to use this as a platform for releasing my LITE version of my RPG to the masses, but it seems that Bob Saunders has released a game that has made me rethink my entire project. "Grail of the Gods" was just released, and placed into July 2010's Newsletter. I downloaded it. I played it. It is identical in scope. (Graphics are different, but that's just graphics...) The complete play style and the enemy hacking are identical to what I had planned.

I would personally like to thank Bob Saunders for completely ripping, not only my idea, but my enthusiasm for the stuff that I have assisted with, and for the lack of the moderators and such to look at these kinds of things for any breach of community-- should there be an issue with extremely similar game(s).

I would like to see the actual code to see whether or not this has been taken/stolen/gleaned from me, and/or whether or not Mr Saunders has been looking over this thread for ideas.

His game is very simple in nature. My game, being simple to play, but more complex, lies upon the same key gameplay issues. My "Eris Lite" is a copyrighted game, as of 2009, and I ask Mr Saunders to contact me immediately, through "aryu.limitless@yahoo.com" or I will have to pursue legal action.

Thank you.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 20:35 Edited at: 6th Jul 2010 07:21
No sweat, bro. Keep it rolling!

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.

Attachments

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 22:36
This thread has turned into all kinds of crazy, I don't know where to begin...

But it is a shame that someone else making a game in the same genre as your game is causing you so much stress.

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
the worst part is that he did it in 18 lines.

Is't life, I ask, is't even prudence, to bore thyself and bore thy students?
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 04:12
I feel that there are things left to be improved upon.
If these folks did not look here for inspiration, and trying to be the better man here, maybe, JUST MAYBE, there's reason for a celebration.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. Just trying to be obvious and open to the idea that there are many, many versions-- good and bad-- that make you think there's something afoot. That's how I feel, and I'll admit, for this, on the record: I AM WRONG.

I will not mince words. I will not take offense.
I have placed my foot squarely in my mouth (and it tastes quite foul).

No more stress! AAAAAaaargh! (There, a tension breaker! LOL)
I'm still going to work this out. I have other ways to make this game happen, and I'm refusing to throw in the towel!

I think there's a market for all of these "Hack"-clones, I just feel awful about my tirade. Please understand, I looked at Mr Saunders' game, and I did not figure it to be 18 lines. (My game is MUCH LONGER... LOL)

To Mr Saunders: Look, I'm wrong. I'll admit that I'm guilty of stepping on your toes. For that, I apologize. For the problems I may have caused: I apologize. Your game, though simple and straight-forward, is a decent play. I did enjoy it... If you're interested in any assistance, expanding it, other additions for it-- please feel free to ask. The least I can do is just apologize for my lack of compassion and for my totally unjustified tirade.

To everyone: This took a really bad turn around Albuquerque, and I'm trying to right the applecart after it's fallen, still in the seat. (At this point, it can't be done... I have to get out and hope my apples haven't spilled into traffic... O.o)

There's still a time for admission and for getting back on track.
So, here we go...

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 04:39
@CoughMist: Thanks for the ChillPill... I really needed it! LOL

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 03:23
This got crazy real quickly!
Sorry...

Back on track:
Still having a few issues with "no image" errors...
Not sure what to do about it...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:40:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:40:01