Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / MaMo by Soharix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 17:22
Quote: "do you have any such method I can use?"

There's probably no 'decent' method to do it natively, but I'm pretty sure I tried about 5 methods with my PhysX Island game. In the end I ended up with adding new trees to a single object as limbs, then merging them down to a single limb via conversion to and from a mesh(make mesh from object/make object), which seems rather bad but I'm pretty sure it was the fastest method of the ones I tried.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 17:33
@ dark coder
Well if it works I'm not really worried about how fast it does it, as it'll be handled as post-processing rather than slowing down the game.

So you're saying you just added them as limbs to an object and converted it to a mesh yeh, nothing else I should know before I start trying it? xD

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 17:55
Quote: "So you're saying you just added them as limbs to an object and converted it to a mesh yeh, nothing else I should know before I start trying it? xD"

Well, in my case I needed it to be as fast as possible when adding new objects on the fly. If your map is pretty much all designed in the editor then you can do much faster methods, such as creating a mesh(using IanM's plugins) with enough vertices and indices to accommodate lots of trees, you then just copy the vertex data into the buffers, this should take almost no time to do. But I have no code on hand for that, so good luck!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 17:57 Edited at: 19th Jan 2010 18:48
!

To the search button, let's see if I can find some plugins.

EDIT:
Remind me to give you a free boxed copy of Mamo when it comes out, you just doubled the framerate xD! (Passively)

I downloaded the matrix utils pack but didn't see anything useful, so I tried your method of adding limbs and making a mesh. At first it was kinda screwing around and seemed to be just deciding not to do what I wanted then I found out to offset a limb, the X and Z variables are the negated... which made no sense, but once fixed, put all the trees in the right place again and my FPS went from ~63 to ~125 at the start, stays ~154 just walking around the island and only dropped as low as 81 when I stood at the edge of the map and looked back at ~78000 polygons. (All measured with sync rate 0)

Now that's worked everyone should actually be able to play Mamo instead of watching it gobble up their computer. xD

Thanks for your help dark coder

Also bare in mind, there is only LOD on the Fings that wander around picking things up and the dogkeys. - There currently isn't LOD on story characters or memfish.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 18:51 Edited at: 19th Jan 2010 18:54
Extra information update

For the benefit of everyone I thought I'd single this out in its own post:

If you need extra FPS when running Mamo because it's still too slow, you can change the first 3 lines of "Options.cfg" under "Mamo\User". (These are X, Y and Colour respectively)

If "Options.cfg" is missing, you need to run the game first and it will create the file. You can then quit Mamo and edit the config afterwards.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 00:01 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 00:01
you know, he's actually not joking about the boxed copy, we actually have one xD

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 12:42
lol cool xD

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 14:03 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 14:10
Info for all:
I may be releasing v0.07 earlier than I had anticipated.

Originally my plan was to complete the boat quest and add some other quest before the next version.

But seeing as I just upped the framerate I'll probably release it as soon as Rhys gets done with the ships for the intro. - Now, in that time I may get round to doing some of the boat quest or another one: just don't expect these.

Lol@the boxed version of Mamo
Yeh that's a draft version of the box Rhys made. We were thinking of giving them away as a prize for a future competition or something. Either way, it wouldn't be done until the game was near enough finished. xD

Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 03:50
Just played it for the first time since v0.03/4 and I must say, great improvement with the terrain, the new paths every where made finding your way around much easier, and being able to pick up those little pots and boxes was a fun idea too. Can't wait for 0.07, hopefully I can find out what that boat quest is for

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 23:59 Edited at: 24th Jan 2010 12:44
Project is looking great guys, keep it up!
Been playing around with the newest version, and it has some great gameplay going on.

This is also an introduction - I have 'joined' Soharix as a voice-actor for missions and stuff, and am writing some of the missions as well. (does that make me a writer/voice-artist?)

Keep up the good work c0wbox, bobby101, joeeigel and epithika!

baconboy2

Joeeigel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 05:14
Uh, I'm on the credits too

Also, can't wait to hear some of your voice acting and see how the srory unfolds

Btw, its spelt Soharix

baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 12:33 Edited at: 24th Jan 2010 12:45
lol, so sorry Joeeigel! I only had a flick through, so must have missed it.
I'm going to be starting the rest of the voice acting soon, with a new mission for the first island. However, I am still waiting for C0wbox's approval of the sample I sent him....

When its done, I may post one of the samples on here.

Yeh, typo with the Soharix, my bad. I'll change that now!

Cheers

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 21:50 Edited at: 16th Jul 2010 03:13
I took a slight detour to make a prototype for an OS/shell while waiting for blobby 101 to finish the 3 tasks he was set.

These tasks are nearing completion, so I started working on Mamo again today.

Here are some pics to show the progresses :

Don't worry that's not another magical stone to use instead of the redstone. - It's part of a quest, and the pictures are situated in the city of Feebis or Island 2 (one of the Foom cities)

Edited the intro

Completely changed the spell system

More to come... of course

And maybe a new version soon if I get the boat, this current quest and blobby 101's stuff all working.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:47:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:47:34