Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Black Plague , Made in dark basic pro

Author
User Banned
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 20:52 Edited at: 4th Mar 2010 09:30
Here is my new project, I have 2 scraped projects so far due to the fact I was still learning, but I know enough now to pull this off here and this one will be a finished product. I have many levals done already and am happy with the results. here is the video, the video is a little choppy due to my video procseser.
the video link is bellow the picture

The black plague

collision system
ai system
points system
saving and loading
menu
battle system
ambience leval
shadows
lights
keys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqhPKhLuA7Q

the latest video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4aYAzSO2_Y

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 22:44 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 22:45
The only thing bad about this is the battle system. It seems it works by checking for a collision but this wouldn't allow the player to use tactics

Is that the character made by Dexon? If not it looks alot like him

Other than that, Great work. Nice animations, Textures are seamless (Or most of them), Models look good, the collisions look very good

---
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 22:51
@mike5424

yes it is the same guy made from Dexon, its a real good modle/the battle system does work with collisions but I can script any thing in the code to allow anything.

thanks for looking and for the good comments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 23:19
Hi, Daniel wright 2311, this looks very promising! It still needs some enhancing (the monsters look to dark, and the interiors too -> maybe that's just the quality of the video?), the main character could have some more attack-modes (maybe also a crouch-mode, and a defense mode with his shield), the environment looks not as detailed as the character, and (I don't know if those monsters are just rookies (skill level) or not, but it looks like they're hard to kill, so if this was a start level, then I would make them a bit less hard to kill, and to increase the difficulty level, you could have more of those little creeps at the same time. Just a thought.
Other than that, Great job! Keep this up, and you're on the right track!

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 23:44 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 23:51
Daniel,

nice work you are certainly improving at DB.

THe fact you are using FPSC as your level editor and as a resource for your other textures ( like the blood ) and characters I think is both a bonus and a curse.

On the up side, you have some really nicely built and light mapped levels. You are obviously a good levels designer, and have put thought into it. The places look like real villages/cities, and the extra scenery and so on really makes it stand out from other Dbpro projects (which are often visually...uh..horrible). Also, the characters and animations are very tight. You have also coded a really nice DB side around this, the collision is good, I was at that bit on the video when he's at the bottom of the stairs, thinking, "it's going to be all bouncing and crap" but it wasn't, it was smooth, so good job there.

On the downside, I think FPSC is kinda limiting you. At the moment, this still looks like an FPSC game, just in 3rd person. There are a wealth of features and so on in DBpro that aren't made us of in FPSC that you should be tapping into. The blood for example, it does an ok job in FPSC, but it could be alot better. I think in a sword fighting game like this you could make the blood much more interesting.. have it splatter surfaces, have it arch into the air etc. I guess this is proabably slightly pointless crit, as I'm sure that you have loads of other things you're adding. I guess the EXP and so on at the top of the screen will lead to leveling up and inventories and stuff in the future. I guess FPSC is just the core right? and that there's lots more original stuff in the works??

Anyway, that's all by the by, you're making good use of the tools available.

From the point of view of the gameplay in the video...

* When you enter the room and read the parchment, this is nice, and it's a good way to tell the story, but maybe have a key prompt to show the parchment. Having it pop up every time the player is close could be really annoying, infact it did look like you were getting stuck in the video because the parchment image meant you couldn't see where you were going. It could be as simple as a little "press E" sprite floating over the paper.

* Granted the guy is in armour, but he moves SOOOOOooooooo slowly. It's ok in a dev video, and probably when you are testing, but the number of games that get a negative in their reviews for having a slow character is really frequent. When you start putting player death into the game, or challenging parts that the player will attempt 10 maybe 15 times, having such a slow move is really frustrating. Maybe add the option to jog or run by holding shift?
You're a good animator, if the character doesn't have a run animation, why not add one to the biped? I learned a random fact off TV yesterday that the average suit of armour weighs 50kilos, but the average modern soldier carries far more weight than that, so if you can run in Modern Warefare, you can run in medieval times..!

* The fighting looked floppy. I know that you're just in WIP and so it probably has a long way to go... I also know that getting melee fighting right is a total freaking nightmare. So, rather than crit, I'll offer some advice...

At the moment, you seem to be experiencing a probablem where the enemies go through the player, or get to close and clip him when they are trying to attack. also it looks like a slash-fest because when you hit an enemy they don't react, they just keep hitting you. Imagine when you've only got 5 HP left and you're fighting a guy who just keeps hitting, it'll drive you nuts..

With the distance thing,

At the moment I'm guessing you get a distance from the player and when that's less than a certain amount they attack?
Perhaps get 2 distances.
Lets say your enemies attack when they're at less than 60 units.
So in the AI, if the enemy is at less than 60 units from the player they attack... also if less than 60, rotate them to point at the player.
Now also check for a minimum distance.. so say 30. if the enemy is less than 30 units, dont stop the attack animation, but move the enemy backwards by say, 2 units. This means that the player should never get closer than 30 units from the enemies, and so wont clip when fighting.

If you want to add feeling of damage to your attacks, have a hurt animation. This can easily just be a reversed walking animation... basically I'm guessing you have an array for enemy health? SO, as well as health add an array for enemy hurt. every time the enemy takes damage, add 1 to the hurt value as well, then if hurt goes over say, 4, you make the enemy play the hurt animation.
This gives your attacks a feeling of damage. Every 4 hits the enemy will stumble back, giving you the opportunity to run in and get some free hits without taking damage. You could have a varying number of "maximum hits before stumble" value too, so that those little goblins would stumble after a few hits, making them easier to kill, and something like an ogre might take 10 hits before it stumbles...

Ok, I'm sorry to rant... I'm making a sword fighting game too at the moment, and it's good to see other people doing it, and I just wanted to share some of my experiences and things I picked up. Please don't think this is like,... massive negative... I'm just trying to lend a hand... or brain... or whatever.
Anyway, It's looking really solid.
Best,
J

I want robotic legs.
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 00:38
@The Slayer . thanks, yea the enimys have shader but in the video there not applyed, but will be to litten them up a bit.Im adding more animtiuons to the player, some of them will be crouch and run and one where the player will shoot out flames from his sword. thanks for the good comments.

@Butter fingers , Im using fpsc for my leval editor just as a bace structor, I am enhansing them with other modles prebuilt. I also have made my player climb ladders to so i can add my own levals on top of some fpsc ones. It is nice to have it as it speeds up my building prosess.as for the other stuff you added I know, I am working it all out in time and the attack distance is not set right. the upgrades will be an extra bones to the game play as you will gain more experience as you go along witch will make you stronger and then enimeys will be easier to kill, but then agien as you go along the enimeys will be harder to kill to. thanks and I will take everything you said to heart.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
For the combat system you should check for a collision(Or if the enemy is close to the player) and check if it's on certain frames (Like the frames where the enemy actually hits). That would make it better

---
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 18:50
@mike5424

right, I have just set this up as I made my player shoot fire out and if the fire hits the enimy the enimy looses health. it looks real good, as far as the enimys frame then i loose health im still trying to get this to work right but im close.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 22:27 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2010 22:32
ok, I have it set to where if you have any postions you can shoot out fire onto your enimys, im thinking on having around 10 difrent postions that do diffrent things.

edit: here is a pict

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 00:16 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2010 01:42
and here is the updated video, please comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqhPKhLuA7Q

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 07:20
Game looks nice. A couple things you need to work on is the camera system, and making sure your game runs the same speed no matter what the computer is doing. Check out timer based movement there are many posts on the forum about this. I noticed the whole game slowed down in the video at certain points, I only assume this was in parts of the level with lots of objects. Good luck!

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 13:52
Quote: "Game looks nice. A couple things you need to work on is the camera system, and making sure your game runs the same speed no matter what the computer is doing. Check out timer based movement there are many posts on the forum about this. I noticed the whole game slowed down in the video at certain points, I only assume this was in parts of the level with lots of objects. Good luck!"

well yes and no

I had my video recorder running and this is what slowed the game down a bit. with out it the game runs verry smooth. thanks for the good comments though. its comming along nicely.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 08:18
Looks pretty well so far, but the fact you're using the standard DBP camera follow function is pretty obvious, sure it looks smooth and all BUT at the parts where you wanted to walk off the stairs it was just simply.. Frustrating to say the least, I can imagine getting seriously pissed off at a camera in games when they behave like that, it's really annoying when you can't see what on earth you're doing.

Other then that, the Enemies don't seem to have a Death Animation, they just instantly lie down and play dead or something? Or are the animations too fast to notice? And yes, the combat looks a bit whacky, and the fire thing? Talk about overpowered much.

Other then those few points it LOOKS pretty decent.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 19:49
Quote: "Looks pretty well so far, but the fact you're using the standard DBP camera follow function is pretty obvious, sure it looks smooth and all BUT at the parts where you wanted to walk off the stairs it was just simply.. Frustrating to say the least, I can imagine getting seriously pissed off at a camera in games when they behave like that, it's really annoying when you can't see what on earth you're doing.

Other then that, the Enemies don't seem to have a Death Animation, they just instantly lie down and play dead or something? Or are the animations too fast to notice? And yes, the combat looks a bit whacky, and the fire thing? Talk about overpowered much.

Other then those few points it LOOKS pretty decent."

yea,lol, this is what is going on, the camera I am in the prosess of trying to make the camera stick to the player, ill get it right, it will be a part of the player other then following him. the death animations for the enimys I have not coded yet but will for shure.the combat looks fine in game as when you are playing it,the fire thing i have cleaned up to look more like fire and yes it is over powering,lol. but you can only use it if you have any postions, but postions will be far and few.

Thanks for your good comments and i will show a update soon. but Right now I am making the first 3 films for the leval. after this i will show everything.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 22:46
ok, so i just fixed the camera to follow to perfect, now off to the fitghting

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 06:41
hey daniel, glad to see you are getting really good with dbpro. I was really impressed with your project and I will look forward to seeing it progress.

alan

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 19:33
@AlanC

thanks, been working hard on it and will have another update soon.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 01:36 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2010 01:49
this is the list of things I have done for this game

collision system
ai system
points system
saving and loading
menu
battle system
ambience leval
shadows
lights
keys

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 06:03
and here is the latest video, Im showing everything here the menu and the game play, the updated game play, alot of work has been put into this project so critic is necessary, thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4aYAzSO2_Y

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 08:55
I think the music is a really bad fit, personally.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work Dan.(Whats that! A compliment from Deathead!) But yes it does look great so far, well better then what I could ever do in DBPro, but I think you should slow down the guy's speed, as the animation depicts a different speed but at the moment he looks like he sliding about then walking. Perhaps slow it down to match his animation.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 20:43 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2010 20:44
Quote: "I think the music is a really bad fit, personally."

well the music is not set in stone yet, just something to jam to as i was showing the resent demo, give me some better links to some good stuff and ill be on it fast, thanks for your comment

Quote: "Great work Dan.(Whats that! A compliment from Deathead!) But yes it does look great so far, well better then what I could ever do in DBPro, but I think you should slow down the guy's speed, as the animation depicts a different speed but at the moment he looks like he sliding about then walking. Perhaps slow it down to match his animation."

thanks death head, been learning some new stuff and just got the animated sprite pack so the fire will look much better, I now will take my family out to dinner.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought you fixed the battle system?

The game looks overall good but there are minor things that make it bad. For example, He "snaps" from static to running, It needs some smoothing, just one or two frames Also, i think he should turn his head then take a small step to rotate. At the moment he slides while turning Other that that it's good!

---
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 21:21
Quote: "I thought you fixed the battle system?

The game looks overall good but there are minor things that make it bad. For example, He "snaps" from static to running, It needs some smoothing, just one or two frames Also, i think he should turn his head then take a small step to rotate. At the moment he slides while turning Other that that it's good!"

the battle system is all fixed but I am not showing it yet becouse I need to take out some code for it to function right and i have not got to it yet, as far as him turning his head before he tuns around is a great idea and ill give him this animation today. thanks for that sugestion. he snapes to a running animation becouse I have it set to where all you need to do to run is to press the run button, then you will run always, you can switch from waqlk to run at any time, but your right, i need a smooth transition from the walk to the run and ill do this to today.

thank you for your comments, keep them comming

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 09:38
looking pretty nice.

I recommend making him fall faster though, and positioning the camera more over his shoulder, as at the moment you can't see what's in front of him.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 23:50
Quote: "looking pretty nice.

I recommend making him fall faster though, and positioning the camera more over his shoulder, as at the moment you can't see what's in front of him."

right, what do you mean by fall faster, I have just set up a state to where you can press the aim button and it brings you closer to him so you can see in front of him.

thanks for your comments

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 04:06
i liked the new video, nice.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
this probably isn't so much a problem as me just being nit picky. but in the video he still moves forward when he turns or attacks. which results in him sliding on the ground when he shouldn't be. and then i also think you have him moving a little to fast in the game for the speed of the animation. as it looks like his feet slide forward each step he makes.

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 19:17
Quote: "what do you mean by fall faster"

increase the gravity

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 19:28
right,lol, well when i do the player falls strait through the floor, so i will leave it like it is unless I can see another way of doing it. we will see, but thanks for your input.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 02:11
how much do you increase it by? And what is it set to currently?

Actually, what's your gravity code? If you fall through the floor by increasing it a small bit, something is wrong.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 6th Mar 2010 20:52
Quote: "how much do you increase it by? And what is it set to currently?

Actually, what's your gravity code? If you fall through the floor by increasing it a small bit, something is wrong."

all i did was use a snimplet from the snimplets for sparkys, it really messed up my game and my players position. just notested you posted this now, sorry.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 19:46
Can you show me the snippet? I've done a lot with platformers, and might be able to help you so that your character can fall faster w/o going through the landscape.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 21:10 Edited at: 7th Mar 2010 21:11
shure, this one here looked promising but could not get it to work right with my code, I set it up right but no matter what my guy would fall through the floor.

[href]here is the sniplit[/href]

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 10:15 Edited at: 8th Mar 2010 10:16
could you show me the code you're using?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:46:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:46:39