Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Lab Rush

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 18:36 Edited at: 1st Jun 2010 23:26
Hi everyone
I want to present my WIP called Lab rush. It's (like most of my games) a topdown 2D-shooter merged with a nice puzzling part
The goal of each level (which is divided in sectors) is to eliminate all enemy spawnpoints by simply sliding over them (inthe end there will appear a yellow gate to the next level).
The tricky part of the game is to color yourself to fit to the spawnpoint's color (eliminate spawnpoint: player color = spawnpoint color). To achieve this, there are several brushes which change your color for about 10s.
You also need to change your color to pass barriers.

There are currently 4 levels with 3 different types of enemies with different behaviour. Sometimes you get health when killing them. After each level you have to beat a boss which is a little tricky sometimes because you have to learn how to use the level/environment/add. enemies to kill him (his health bar is too big to survive by simply shooting him) or how to get rid of his shield :-P

If you think that the levels are a bit too long, don't stop playing: Level 3 and 4 are alot shorter and esp. the bosses are worth playing

Controls are:
WSAD --> Movement
left mouse button --> shoot (double click + hold down to overload weapon)
right mouse button --> grenades (will automaticly regenerate after some time)
SHIFT --> speed boost

Below the health bar there is an indicator which fills up when killing enemies, depending on their health. When it\'s full, a powerfull attack is released. Maybe it can be also usefull for beating bosses!? ...

The soundtrack I used is from Quake2

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

EDIT: Forgot download link, so here it is
http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/engels/Lab_Rush.rar

Comments and criticism apreciated.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 21:18
Hi!

Looks great, I played it, and it was really fun! I did however get stuck in one of the blue barriers in level 2. I colored myself blue, went for the blue barrier, and just as I went through it, my time ran out and I turned back red, and I then got stuck.

I suggest you just slide the player out of the barrier to the nearest side to fix this.

I couldn't find any other bugs, but an instruction screen wouldn't be bad, and maybe a save/load system?

I like the room in level 2 where you force the player to turn green and stay in there with all of the red enemies for 10 seconds I managed to cause a massive explosion which slowed down the game to 1 fps for about 30 seconds, maybe you should make a limit on how many explosions there can be?

The minimap is also well thought through, reminds me a bit of StarCraft, the way you shade it.

Nice job!

TheComet

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 23:23 Edited at: 29th May 2010 23:30
Very fun, I love the graphics and the bosses are great.

Got to level 3 and got stuck, literally stuck I had my green color active and right when I went through a blue door it stopped and I couldn't move. It would be neat to have a save for it or a code for every level.

Nice job though.

Quote: "
I like the room in level 2 where you force the player to turn green and stay in there with all of the red enemies for 10 seconds I managed to cause a massive explosion which slowed down the game to 1 fps for about 30 seconds, maybe you should make a limit on how many explosions there can be?"

My computer didn't slow but it did around 3 or 4 explosions in a row. It seemed that when the first explosion went off it killed enough enemies to set off another and again.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 01:36
Quote: "My computer didn't slow but it did around 3 or 4 explosions in a row. It seemed that when the first explosion went off it killed enough enemies to set off another and again. "

Wow, mine triggered at least 20 explosions

You know, I see potential for a MMO-game here

TheComet

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 04:49 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2010 23:29
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Quote: "I colored myself blue, went for the blue barrier, and just as I went through it, my time ran out and I turned back red, and I then got stuck"

I will look into the code again. I already implemented that getting stuck in a barrier should be impossible but it's functionality disappeared someway . Don't know why ...

To play any level you want, just rename the map-files in the root directory. They are numbered in the way they appear ingame; one boss after each level

Quote: "You know, I see potential for a MMO-game here"

I thought about some sort of multiplayer but wasn't sure about the details in gameplay. Maybe teams changing grey/enemy spawnpoints to their own color to create and spawn some allies!? Any suggestions?

- EDIT -:
Attached new EXE which solves the problem of getting stuck. Also there's a simple saving system that saves the last level you played. If you wish to start a new game, simply delete "savegame.dat"
I will implement a more comfortable version when the main menu is done (so you can choose from one of the levels you unlocked).

Download link for the newest version of the game is in the first post of this thread.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 07:25 Edited at: 31st May 2010 07:30
What happened to Danger Ground?

Edit;
This is fun too though

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 31st May 2010 08:29
the pictures looks awesome!
the game is fun but a bit easy to my taste..
i really liked the coloring idea its good!
nice game man!
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 19:54 Edited at: 31st May 2010 19:58
That was really fun! The only times that I found myself actually losing health, though, were during the third and fourth bosses (more so the fourth), mainly because health is so easy to come by that I don't even notice losing health during a level.

Very well done, I like the idea.

The bombs you throw with right-click are very useful if used correctly. I decimated the last boss with them, and they came in handy for large groups of guys. Though, I did find that if the bomb blew up directly on top of a badguy, the explosion would only kill him and none of the "bullets" it sprays out make it anywhere else. I don't know if that was intended, but it did put a damper on a few mass killings during level 4.
(I found a good trick for using the grenades rather effectively. Since every bad guy follows you, you can amass them behind you, them simply bounce a grenade off of a nearby wall so that it detonates immediately behind you! )

The one and only,

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, keeps me really motivated

The bosses are balanced carefully. It was not intended that you all start killing them with grenades So I made them invincible against this sort of attack, sorry
I also made some slightly changes to the levels and balancing to avoid these massive explosion-chains, but they still can occour
(updated the main archive in the first post, including newest EXE-file)
I will try to resist and will not update too often ^^

I'm now on vacation for 2 weeks but will try to finish the game when I'm back. I also will release a user-friendly level editor, so everyone can mess around with levels (maybe I will include a scripting system for the bosses, I'll see).

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 16:55
Quote: "What happened to Danger Ground?"

It's still alive, but I guess we need another 3 years. We might post updates in August or later this year.

@DBer:

Cool game, as mentioned before. I like the flow of the game - always 5-10 minutes of brainless run and gun mixed with refreshing puzzles, followed by an interesting boss. However, I'd prefer some more gameplay-elements, that seems more reasonable to me than starting the multiplayer now.
Oh and I'm looking forward to the main-menu. I'm sure you will come up with a brilliant idea how to make it interesting.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 21:52
Pretty nice game.

good appealing, gameplay and controls response, simple in concept but very polished as a game.

Is insane fun.

I recommend you moving this the cellphones and maybe to the Intel app store. It has very good potential. Is easy to replicate, uses the same code and can be ported easily.

One point you have to take into account is if people wants to play this game everyday what would attract them to do so?.

-------

I ask all the people here to feedback another threads too, since ideas of people and comments can be very useful to game creators.

Cheers.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 02:28
Wow, that was a fun game. The motion blur and camera shake really added to the overall presentation of it. The bouncing grenade and massive amounts of bullets were great too.

While the first few levels where you introduced new gameplay elements (the different colors) were interesting, I would like to see more of it! Maybe introduce some special enemies that need to work in groups or maybe certain powerups give the player a different gun. Also, I felt a little powerless over my "powerful attack"... It just sortof went off at random (whenever I killed enough enemies) so I couldn't really place myself to use it. Maybe introduce a double right click to use the special? Or perhaps the way you've got it now is meant to add to the overall chaos of the game. Anyway awesome game you have here . Very high replayability in my opinion.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:05:46
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:05:46