Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / [Q]uik's 2010 model thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 20:52
a bit late to make an 2010 model thread... but here we go anyhow XD and starting with a great WiP, which, if i finish it, some people might befefit from^^ a base - human mesh. I am, REALLY happy with how his upper body has turned out so far, and i can still pump out a lot of more polies on him considering the poly count is only..

BUT i have run into some problems - i cant get his legs to look good so, if anyone could give some tips on making realistic (naked) legs that would be great^^ here he is anyhow:

and the meshsmoothed verson:

oh and sorry if the images is a bit blurry, dunno how to fix that =/

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet work! Anatomy looks a bit off but it's not too bad

---
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 23:24
Hehe, well iam not to great with anatomy, but i believe this is my most accurate work so far^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 00:32
Ironic seeing as you were so picky about mine, don't worry just kidding, I'd do some anatomy revision on the stomach, waists and back

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 00:37
yeah i know the stomach needs a lot more work, and also the back. and the waist will probably come when working on the stomach and back =P thanks for the crit

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 03:27 Edited at: 5th Jul 2010 03:43
It looks like a all around pretty good start, but I think you've got way too much geometry without enough detail. It looks like you cut in too many loops without tweaking the new vertices enough. I'd not cut in any more loops until you've got everything perfectly placed, and actually, I might delete a bunch of loops, polish what's left, and then add them back in slowly, one at a time. Other than that, it's a good start, and looks pretty good smoothed. I actually kinda like the fact that it's not very "classically" shaped, and looks more like an average joe.

Edit: Actually, is that a triangle on the left side of the left pec? I'm not sure that's necessary. You could merge the last two vertices of the quad underneath it in the thin loop below it, and then remove the remainder of the loop from the back. Then you'd have two triangles you could merge together. Mebbe?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 16:41
why should i get rid of the triangle if it doesnt smooth out badly..?

and yes, some poly reduction might be needed, either that or better optimizing of the polies i have

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 17:55
and double post! AYEAH GOLD STAR 4 ME anyhow, here is some updates, just finished the basic legs, still needs a lot of tweaking and i need to give him an a$$ also he needs a lot of tweaking in the lower areas of the body& start of the legs when iam done with that it is of to... *gulp* the hands.. and the feet...
anyhow here he is! THE ALMIGHTY... MODELL!

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 18:12
Looks pretty nice, but the legs need thicker thighs and slightly thicker hips. Also, for a torso that long, the legs should be a tad longer to remain proportional.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 18:24
thanks, ill look into that asap

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 21:20 Edited at: 5th Jul 2010 21:21
Quote: "why should i get rid of the triangle if it doesnt smooth out badly..?"

It looks like it doesn't smooth out badly when all of the vertex normals are averaged, but subdivided triangles in the middle of a quad mesh just create a mess of unnecessary geometry. They also disturb loop flow, which is key to keeping a clean and well organized mesh. I'm not saying triangles are completely illegal, but they should definitely be spared for critical situations. Like on your model, I think he'd benefit from eliminating the triangles on the pecs. There's no real reason for them, they break the loop that would flow vertically through them and the two loops on either side, and since there are two on each side, elimination is easy.

Something like this:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 22:35
is this how u meant? if so - problem solved and right now iam concerned about his butt, iam not sure how it is to be created (never been good with buttoms) might aswell just move onto his hands and leave the butt for later =P also for a base model you dont model the face in detail right? you just put out and basic shape? correct?
pics:

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2010 00:22
Yes, that's what I meant.

Also, yeah, that's pretty much it for a base mesh. Don't put any personal details into anything. The point is that it should be very easy to shape the mesh to like any one person, so including features that are common to most (male, in this case) people is important.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 17:29
thanks, well i have another question what about the feet and the hands? should i model them in detail like toes and fingers and all that or should i simplify them? i know it might be a stupid question but i havent made a basemesh beforeXD

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 18:38
The hands and feet should really just be like all the other parts. Model them so that they look clearly human, but spare any personal details (model common things like fingers and nails, but not things like lines in the palm).

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 18:51
ahh okay, thanks, should i really model nails? that feels unnecessary.. well thanks anyhow =) started on the feets a while ago and i promise, they wont look good - I havent ever modelled a FEET before

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 18:56
Well maybe not nails. I guess it depends on how detailed you want to get. I mean, the point of a base mesh is just to save you work in the future, so however you think you can do that best by including/excluding certain details, go for it.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 18:58
heh yeah thanks^^ well ill skip the feet for the moment, and just jump into the hands since i do know how to model hands properly and i know the basics propotions and so on, but the feet... ill have to get some real good ref pics for those to study

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 19:03
Don't forget about your own. 3D references are the best references.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 19:55
thanks, yeah i know i study my hands a lot when i do hands =P

uhh ooone more question, when modelling a base mesh should i model the "wrinkles" in the fingers which indicates the joints? or should i skip them?

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 20:02
I'd skip them. It's a really small detail that can easily be applied through a texture, and they're pretty different for each person.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 20:07
yeah true that, thanks for all the tips you guys^^ ill post updates later on today i think

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 21:58
alright here comes the update, just the hand. Anyhow i have 2 tris on this hand, and i would like some help with getting rid of them without adding 2 lines of polies on the thumb, any ideas?
And i know i still need to move some verts and stuff but the mesh is pretty much complete.

and here is the 2 tris:

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 23:13
A good start. The wrist seems a little messy and cluttered, what with all of those loops ending there. I'm sure you'll space it out later though. Also, the proportions of the fingers to the thumb are a bit off.

This should take care of your triangle problem:

1. Cut the quad in half along the red line and then make a new quad with the triangles.

2. Merge the circled vertices with the vertices the arrows are pointing to.

3. Make a new quad with the two left-over triangles.

For the back side, it should be pretty self-explanatory. Just cut along the red line.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 23:28 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 23:35
Looks pretty good, Quik. I attached a very poorly drawn picture, but if you really want to get rid of the tris you could go for another loop around the thumb like something in my paintbrush masterpiece... (the quads are a little skewed, but I think you could tweak them to get a better effect.) Personally, I don't think it would be too much of a problem, it just depends on how it deforms for animating and such. I would shorten the thumb, however. It looks a little out of proportion.

Also, you don't have to add any detail for the wrinkles on the fingers, but I think if you plan on animating or rigging this hand, you should have some polygons that can collapse. It will add a little control to the skin. Take a look at this pic.

Edit: you beat me Kira Vakaan! But that's okay. Yours is a much better solution. I guess I shouldn't take so long to type.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 23:33 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 23:43
thanks a lot guys, i will see to the tris and make fix them, ive done a lot of poly reduction on the palm and the back of the hand and attached it now, so all thats left of the hand is to shorten the thumb and fix the tris^^ so stay tuned.

Again, thanks a lot for the crits and comments, gets me motivated and really helps me out =)

oh and kira: Thanks, the front tri is gone however your solution for the back has a.. leak.
The line doesnt stop there, it goes around, are you telling me to cut a new edge loop?

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 11:25 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 18:57
a new day brings new updates, however i am just going to post what it looks with the hand connected. I am having my daughter over today so i wont be able to work that much, if at all, so next update might not be until tomorrow.

and yes, on the last pic there is yet another of these bothersome tris>.<

Edit: not the last pic, the pic above the last pic*

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 11:28
i believe fingers should be a little taller
anyhow it looks great!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 11:53
they are quiet tall, theyre just curved down, ill have to straighten them up for the final release, however they might be a little bit to short.. ill look into that, thanks

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2010 18:04
pretty early stage of the feet, i believe the toes need a lot more tweaking and i need to get a bit more shape into it

Iam using a females foot as reference, however i keep looking at my own aswell. any critts is definitly welcome!

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2010 20:33
here is another update on the feet, i really wanna get done with the feet and this project as iam quiet bored, but since iam so close to finish it there really is no reason to stop now.

a lot of pictures today

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2010 23:23
PICTURE BOMBARDMENT! probably the last update for today. I hope those of you guys who are watching this thread is enjoying this, and i hope some guys will actually find use of this when i release it, it will be released here and on the model database, well now it is just the head and then some tweaking. poly count is atm: Non subbed: 1650. Subbed: 26296

here is the update: feet is now attached to the body, looking quiet ok for being my first feet i must say. moving on to head asap but iam going to chill for a bit now XD

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 06:52
nobody postin eh? suppose everyone's busy XD well here is the finished verson, however do not fear! you can definitly still post crits^^
hope you guys like it.
Download attached

[Q]uik, Quiker than most

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 00:26
Quik, take your sock off and have a real good look at your own feet if not have a good search from some reference. Youre doing really well and comming along fine but you could do with spending a little more time studying and really looking at your subject matter. Try to concentrate more on getting your object to look more realistic than its technical abilities as these problems can usually be sorted later with a little effort but not always the other way around. I applaud your efforts and you are doing well whats letting you down a little is your haste to get your model finished. Take your time look, study then extrude etc.

3D For Games

Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow frap, flash backs of art classes lol, but yep he is right and so was she ^__^

He comes out pretty well in the flats so i other than a little poly flow tweaking, which is just my Ocd habit, fraps hit the nail on the critique.

As for mine, Extend the first and second bones of each of the fingers so they look more realistic with the thumb and palm sizes.

Other than that yov'v came a hell of a long way mate ^__^

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 00:49
Fraps back again! Everybody woot.

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 01:11
Never really been away guys , just been watching quietly from the shadows

3D For Games

Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 09:26
Quote: "I applaud your efforts and you are doing well whats letting you down a little is your haste to get your model finished. Take your time look, study then extrude etc."

thanks, well yeah i usually get boored and never finish my models, i suppose thats my biggest problem. Well ill take a look at those feet tomorow frap,
Quote: "
As for mine, Extend the first and second bones of each of the fingers so they look more realistic with the thumb and palm sizes.

Other than that yov'v came a hell of a long way mate ^__^"

yeah ill look into the fingers^^

thanks that means a lot laz

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 05:14
meh i just thought i would show of this one: a Benelli M3 shotgun which ive worked on at the same time as the human. pretty happy so far, 1254 polys (quads)

pretty happy with it^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2010 17:53
Looks pretty dang amazing.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2010 23:39
just thought i would put on some more screens, going to start on the uvmap asap, a bit busy right now ^^ So here is another render (another angle) and a wireframe.

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 01:22
Huh. I thought I posted on this.
Quote: "pretty happy with it^^"

Quote: "You should be happy! It looks awesome!"

Is what I thought I posted before, but now, you should be ultra happy! It looks super awesome! I would love to see it textured...

Great job, Quik!

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 05:21
oh wow, such kind words^^ thank you, well my texturing skills surely is rusty atm and thats why i feel like i need to texture something asap, also since iam very happy with the mesh it would be a waste not to texture it. meh sleep naow

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 19:22
hello there^^ since i havent textured for ages, i thought i would just give the "1k textures bla bla" thing a shot^^ and here is where i am right now, i must say this is excellent texturing excersize! THANKS FOR SHARING JOSH

it's going to be an orc something^^ iam pretty happy with the arm atm =) seems now however that i had missed the fact that the arm was part of the hand >.> i might get away with giving him leather gloves or something.. maybe just leave it like this? hmm decisions decisions...

i am definitly enjoying this as of now^^ head will be problematic as usual, but thats why i am doing this =)

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 22:55
now only head to go, maybe some shading tries on the leather, might just leave it like that tho.

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 03:46
haha, cool stuff. Now do that head.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 03:59
yeah well, i have acually got something there, however it looks more goblinish than orkish to me, but iam fairly happy with it... here we go:

hope i didnt dissapoint anyone ^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 03:33
pfft no comments? pfft kidding, doesnt matter here comes some 2d art which i just drew up, iam by no means a good drawer and i have huge propotion problems and possibly anatomy problems aswell, however i believe it doesnt look that bad, any crits and tips and anything that can help is very much appreciated!

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 04:09
Sorry, you zombified hulk just left us all speechless

And I can't tell if he's happy, or if he just can't shut his mouth. o.0
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 06:33
Your shotty is sweet, and your goblin is weeeird. I like your style