Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Samurai Project (Oriental Fantasy Project)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 01:50 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2010 01:59
It's been almost a year since I updated my old post, unfortunately it was locked.
I wasn't able to work on this as much as I wanted in the last 12 months.I experienced some set backs in life but I made the best possible out of it.

But let's skip the small talk.

For those who are not familiar with my old post, you may visit it here

Actually I can't remember how many times I have redone textures and overhauled meshes. Which isn't really a smart thing to do and rather keeps you from progressing. But since I'm under no deadline I can afford to waste some time.
Earlier this year I finally made the jump to Evolved's advanced lighting shaders.
At the beginning of my project I was rather reluctant, my multi-pass light shaders created a better overall look at that time. But Evolved's shader system has come along since then, and I must say, I don't regret doing the conversion.
I still have to close up the scene and work on one unfinished area.
After that I'm planning to do some coding since at the current state it's not much more than a interactive walk-through.

The project was inspired by games like Onimusha,Genji,Hevenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden. My gameplay goal is to achieve Onimusha likeliness (action/puzzle), but I'd also want to implement some platform jumping and obstacle climbing (Ninja Gaiden/ Heavenly Sword). But we'll see how it will turn out.
As I stated in my previous post, I'm not planning a full fledged game.My goal is a showcase demo, that's all I can manage as a one man team (doing all the 2d/3d art and coding).

Youtube Video of June 2010

fixing images

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 02:16
if these are the in-game graphics, sweet!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 02:17
Simply amazing graphics How do you make the distant blur effect? I hope you get around to finishing this!

TheComet

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 02:23
I was going to say do less creeping scenery updates and more making the game world bigger and adding more gameplay mechanics, but then I read your post. Like you say there is no deadline. If making the graphics even spiffier is what you enjoy doing, then that's all cool. Your game does look very nice. Maybe I'll pick your brain about shaders and graphics someday.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys. Phaelax, yes it is in-game.
TheComet, the depth of field is part of Evolved's advanced lighting shaders. It sports multiple post effects like, depth of field, bloom, light scattering, and as of lately, motion blur.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow the attention to detail is amazing! Love the day and night cycle

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, looks beautiful.

McCrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2010 14:32
Quote: "Actually I can't remember how many times I have redone textures and overhauled meshes. Which isn't really a smart thing to do and rather keeps you from progressing."

I know this, got always the same problem

The Screens are really awesome, nice models, textures and also awesome graphics. Keep it up dude, this could be a really great game!

OldPMan
TGC Store Seller
Years of Service
User Offline
Gooooooooooood!!!

.....already beside..... for all
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I remember this from a while back. You are an amazing artist!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 00:05
Sorry to go off-topic here, but McCrazy, that sig has to be the weirdest remix of "The Grudge" I have ever seen Where the hell did you get that from?

Back on-topic...

Absolutely marvelous graphics, I think I will have to check out some of evolved's shaders myself now Keep it up!

TheComet

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 04:47
First impression was like "oh lol, not his game.. wait a second" . Okay it's 5:00 morning.. writing wierdos.
This is just amazing. You have captured a nice peacefull oriental feeling on it. I could even live there! The character is dang sweet too. Great work!

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the nice feedback ! I like the scene at it's current state, so there won't be any further remodeling or retexturing. I will seal up the scene with the missing doors, complete the area to the right of the castle and then get down to some coding. However all that has to wait until I'm done with my current paid project.
But I think I'm looking most forward to be working on the castle interior.

Would you guys prefer a visible health-bar ? Or would you have damage be reflected through textures and animations alone ?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 24th Jul 2010 12:17
Stunning art, I would call this!! Very very very good, Irradic! I always liked the Ninja and Samurai period, so please, finish this! I know it isn't easy all by yourself, but as you mentioned earlier, you have the time AND the skills to do it!
As for the health, I would prefer a visible bar. It isn't that hard to do, and it wouldn't clutter the view that much.
Great job, Irradic! Keep it up!

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
yamo
Years of Service
User Offline
I like it a lot ...but..he has elf ears.

speak slowly and use small words
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 22:29
^ Maybe he is an elf... :S

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2010 23:52
He's a Vulcan.
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
i dont frequent this forums too much, but dude, this is pure Gold,

Now, About what you stated, Full Ledged Game, i seen you have very good Modeling skills, then why, wouldnt you make it like that, Even Commercial, Or maybe Pay a team or something

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks fantastic. The changing lighting effects and moving shadows are especially impressive. The scenery looks particularly striking when lit from a low angle.

The only suggestion I have is that the character should have his fingers more bent while he is walking. His hands look slightly stiff and awkward with them straight like that. But that is not much of a criticism!
CocaCola
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 23:24
I watched your youtube videos, a while back, and this is... amazing...

I want coke, not Pepsi!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2010 13:48
Irradic,

Visually this is amazing, and I can totally empathise with you saying you just can't get a whole game done as a one man band!

Looking forward to seeing some real gameplay! If you need help with the animations I have a bunch of samurai animations done that you could potentially borrow...

Anyway, my only real crit on this (and really, it's very tight, it's literally the only thing that bugs me) is.. the Depth of Field shader. It looks awesome, but seems like it's too close and too much?! Almost like looking at the world after you've just woken up. I can look out my window right now and see things much further in the distance quite crisply. Perhaps toning the effect to maybe 50% even 25% of what you have right now? It seems a shame to blur all your lovely textures, when in real life you'd be able to see them much more clearly.

Anyway, top work!

Sleep is over-rated.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 00:54 Edited at: 31st Aug 2010 00:56
Thanks for all the comments ! Haha, he's no elf, actually the ears aren't even pointy, it's the hair mesh that creates the illusion.
The walking animation was\is just a place holder, even the idle animation has its quirks. But I thought it's better than have him float through the scene
I'm trying my best to get this finished, but unfortunately this project doesn't bring food on the table. So I of course have to prioritize my paid projects. But I will definitely continue working on it.

Butter fingers ! I love your Bushido shuffle game ! If I could borrow some of your incredible samurai animations I would be more than thankful ! By the way, which software did you use to create them ?
Regarding the DOF, it's definitely one of the things I will have to fine tune. But up to now, fixing the shadow artifacts was higher on my "to fix" list.
Just let me know if I should drop you an email regarding the animations. Thanks !

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 02:44
Hey dude,

Sorry if I added something else to an already-lengthy list of things to-do! I did all the modelling in maya, but the character animations are all hand animated in Milkshape.. and thanks!

I can export them in most formats though... FBX? I'm guessing that we'll probably have some issues getting them integrated with your current biped, if he's already got some animations? I'm not prepared to give you all the animations, there's like 6000 frames and it's taken hours, but perhaps a walk/run cycle and a 6 hit combo or something?

Drop me an email at peanutbutterfingers@gmail.com and we'll see if we can work out a way of getting them integrated!

Butters

Sleep is over-rated.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

no worries you didn't add anything new, it really is on my list of things to do.
Hehe no no, I didn't expect to get all the animations from you. I know pretty well how much time it takes to create good animations. Time I didn't have yet, to do it myself.
As I said in my mail, I could either try to retarget the rigs in Motionbuilder, or if worse comes to worst create a new rig which conforms to yours. The current animations are nothing but place holders anyway, so that's really no issue.

Thanks a lot Dude !

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
What are you using for modeling/animating/ AND EXPORTING for Dark Basic?

I finally found a project which has custom made stuff, seemingly (they are, aren't they?) bone animated, and i would need some help with this for my own project as i've been struggling with it for some time now with completely no moving forward...

I'm talking about software type and the exporting solution / steps which result in vertex animating object in DBPro, not about the creation of models don't get me wrong!

Could you suggest any help for me?
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using 3ds Max in combination with KWXport to get my characters into DBPro. I've tried Panda Exporter before, but must say it doesn't work for me in most cases. KWXport is easy to set up and exports my characters perfectly.
Just make sure that there aren't more than 2 modifiers in your stack upon export, or the export will result in vertex mess.

roka
Years of Service
User Offline
very nice work the render is beautiful , nice work on the shader part

Roka The French Boy Rush Team (FPS) Click Here
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=157916&b=8
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Irradic!

To say something to your project as well, i've been watching it growing up for almost 2 years now i guess... to be honest i was getting quite finished with DBP but you showed me even next-gen graphics are not impossible so i stayed and also started some nice game designing i wouldn't have started otherwise, so thank you for that

Just would like to make things clear, is the goal a playable story someday, or is it an interactive eyecandy for looking around?
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
You are welcome, hope I was able to help you.
Thanks a lot ! Has it been that long already ? Just checked, the project will be 2 years old next February. I'm glad that my project persuaded you to give DBPro another try. But I think we both have to thank Evolved for such a wonderful shader system. Without it, I guess, even I would be using Unity or UDK by now.
My goal was to create a playable, interactive scene (with enemies) for demonstration purposes. I would like to make a small playable game out of it. But for a one man team it will be hard to realize. I might sooner or later have to seek for help.
Good luck with your project.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
You know this could be the core for a really competitive stuff, some more levels by you, and an A.I. from somebody else if you don't have the energy, maybe a third genius like you for event controlling / fighting system... i'm trying to say that this is at a point where it would be a shame not to do something serious with it.

Anyhow it happens, i hope it at least gets you some attention at least for your models to sell or something like that.

As for my project it may pop up here a few weeks from now, i don't really like showing off anything until done, but i will may need to find somebody to join me in it which a W.I.P. thread could be useful for to find. I'm also rather into the game media producing other than programming but recently i've managed to do things i wouldn't have thought i'm able to pull off so i'm very looking forward how it will end up.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
You are right, it would be unfortunate to not make something serious out of it. But it really just comes down to lack of time.

Despite the attention, what mattered more was that I was able to change some opinions regarding Darkbasic Pro. But I also was often called stupid, and said to be wasting my time for not using Unity or UDK.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see some screen shots of your project.
Since I just finished a paid project, I'll hopefully have some time to work on my own project this week.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
What is Unity? A programming language or some click and drop stuff?

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 09:50
Quote: "What is Unity?"

Quote: "some click and drop stuf"

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes Unity has a graphical environment, but calling it
Quote: "some click and drop stuff?
"
wouldn't justify it's capabilities. But that's all I'm going to say, Unity3D is a rival product...If you want to know more, Google is your friend.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Well that's for sure Unity is way more click and drop than Dark BASIC. I hate when people call DBPro a kids toy, there is nothing easier in it other than that you already have the engine done.

Unity seems very powerful, but it always seems - at least for me - that there may be various limitations in the availability of designing your game totally the way you'd wanted if this so said 'click&drop' kinda look / way comes in... not to mention, though i'm using someone else's engine as a DBP user, i still want to do everything on my own, from scratch! ...and of course not to mention Unity's insane pricing.

Uh that's radical that the Unreal development kit is just out for free, regardless the way its usage is permitted...
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Unity is like a map editor with scripting capabilities.
You'll have to write code to make the game work the way you want. Or you can copy code. Anyways, Unity has more capabilities and features compared to Dark Basic thus the price difference.

Irradic. Ang galing mo tol! =)

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
The Oriental Project has improved very well in terms of graphics quality. And i believe it runs faster and better than the older demo.

You should get a coding partner as you seem to be have great skills in modeling already. The demo would be better with game mechanics and some features that can be done by a very skilled coder. Its not that Im belittling your programming skills with the CS degree you have and all. Its just that a more code oriented and experienced partner would balance the end results and not make it look lacking in other areas.

We have a team in Cebu. Two programmers and two modelers. But the group is just 2 weeks old so not much has been done.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 12:10
Wow, just wow.

graphics are amazing! i believe it did take a good effort to make models & textures
and the shaders just makes it even more realistic

good luck with the project! don't stop, you gotta finish it soon or else!

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
This is absolutely beautiful! I hope you will have time to continue developing it and realize your plans with it. It would be very nice to play a game in this setting.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Marlou - Like I said, maybe in the future. At the moment I'm just busy with work and can only dedicate time sporadically. I think any partnership would just suffer and most likely fall apart.

@Hassan,Mireben - Thanks a lot ! I really have no plans on stopping.
It will just take a while, until I will have something playable ready.
But honestly, I as well am looking forward to the moment where I'll have some sword play in the game.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey It Good Game.I think you remember me

Hello
Celion
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm looks like a good game but the graphics far away are a bit hazy if you understand what i mean.
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
It is called Depth of Field(it is, right?) and it is on purpose, probably to add some atmosphere.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 18:44
This is a great video you posted. Just thought I'd give it some extra coverage! I really hope you finish this project!!!

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 01:01
a grat piece of art, Irradic your demo/video is the best dbpro thing i ever see on this forum.

[img][/img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:54:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:54:57