Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [x9] The Adventures of Doctor Jeremiah James and Bob Corvine -- Time Travelers Extraordinaire

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 17:32 Edited at: 5th Sep 2010 17:32
Sorry about the unfinished last post ^
I was just getting out of the car and (To keep this PG ill write it in the code snippet )

Anyways, what i wanted to say is that once I am back from vacation, I will be available for any 2d work you need (Ill do it free ofcourse.. I cant imagine asking a guy like you to pay ). Drop me an e-mail if you are interested...

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 18:36
Quote: "I'm doing a lot better here lately. The Son is shining brightly on me and am having cloudless clear days."

Good to see that you chilled.

By the way I didn't take the song in a negative way, I was taking it in a more humorous way!

Abdul Ahad
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nicely done. I look forward to seeing more as I kinda got lose in your story. I like the doctor, but just like all those other shows, it has to really catch my eye for me to watch. Keep up the good work.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 06:09
I've been having difficulties with Windows 7 and I have to re-install.

I am in the process of backing up everything I can. I am sure I will not lose anything from the Doctor nor any of FPSC nor DBPro. I'm uploading all my important emails to my server. I'm making backups on both an external IOMEGA HD and on CD's.

This is a real pain to say the least.

So, see ya on the other side.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Add more adventure to your game -- use RPG Mod
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 13:25
Quote: "So, see ya on the other side."

Use the force Luke!

I gotta do the same sometime, as I want to upgrade the system, but keep putting it off as I'm too lazy ^_^

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 09:01
Quote: "Use the force Luke!"

I have W7 re-installed but I'm having difficulties running RPG Mod. Not sure what's up with that. Stock EXE runs but not RPG Mod.

Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 16:38
That is strange.

I still use XP pro, so cannot help you mate

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 19:36
I was using Windows 7 that came with Dell. But for some strange reason after six months of use, it started to tell me that I was not using Genuine Windows. Apparently my registry got screwed up after I used a supposedly reputable registry cleaner. I was told that this registry cleaner can be a little too aggressive even in the default mode. RPG Mod was working fine then.

I believe what is happening is that I do not have permission to write out the RPG.log file now after re-installing W7 and so it crashes at that point. However, when I tried to do something with permissions (I had no clue what I was doing) I think I screwed a lot of things up and I have no idea as to how to go back to the default settings. I am beginning to hate W7. For six months I thought it was the bees knees. It's off to see the wizard and hopefully he/she can help me.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2010 17:49
After 2 1/2 days of re-installing windows three times and finally figuring out how to configure the darn thing, I now have both DBPro AND FPSC working as they should. I still have to install other programs but I wanted to get the two most important ones working.

Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2010 20:24
That's great news El Tel

Now get back to making this game *cracks whip!*

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2010 21:27
Can't wait to see more, this is the only project I check on here - only one that's interests me because I haven't seen another quite like it...

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to 600 x 120.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2010 03:44 Edited at: 16th Sep 2010 03:49
I got side-tracked with a couple of additions and a bug fix with RPG Mod and then updating the documentation. I also wanted to re-install some of my apps since the Windows re-install. I back at it, I hope.

EDIT:

Anayar, I sent you an email.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 02:40
I thought it would be good to create a stand-alone compilation and start testing how I am going to go from the TASDIM to another level and then back again to do another "quest."

I had at first decided to have the level I've been showing as the first level and then the TASDIM the second level. However, I am running into an interesting problem. The power conduit and the bubble tube causes a crash when I try to compile. It crashes when loading a certain image (the "_i." image). However, there should not be anything wrong with this as it works in test and when I build a stand-alone of this level by itself. Also, if I have the TASDIM as the first level and another level for the second level, it works fine as well. But when it is the second level it crashes. I have looked and looked. I have even looked at the source code and written a log file to see what was going on. I also used several dynamic entities in place of those objects. They worked fine. Only the entities mentioned crashes.

I do not want to lose these entities so I am going to have the TASDIM as the first level. I was toying with that idea anyway from the start. So, I have to do some fiddling about with this. Hopefully the next video will be about taking a tour of the TASDIM and also how this quest thing is going to work. I've already had a quest demo but this will be different and include a lot more quests.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 03:37
I hope you get things sorted, this is definately one of the top 5 or 6 WIPS on the forums at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of it

I game therefore I am.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2010 05:31
Thanks Bruce. I really appreciate that. It will be sorted out one way or another. I would rather have it so that I can use CP teleporter for my TASDIM and Starmind's bubble tube. I'm having the inside of the TASDIM as the first level. It seems to be OK when I put it as the first level. I'm one who is used to having to do work-a-rounds.

ajkcool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2010 05:03
Where's the demo? I so want to try this game out!

"Hey everyone, I love you." jk
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2010 22:57
I appreciate your impatience ajkcool. I wish I was a lot younger and had a mind that could think quickly.

There will be a couple of more videos before the actual demo. However, once I get past showing a couple of videos that are mainly in the TASDIM and in the hallway, I will have to go into the dungeon of the corners of my mind and try to whip out the rest of the scripts so I can get the demo finished. I don't want to reveal anything after the hallway or it won't be fun playing.

I am just about finished with the TASDIM scripts and AI so will be posting up a video within the coming week if not in a few days.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am excited as well.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2010 09:49 Edited at: 20th Mar 2011 15:52
Here is the TASDIM video. I'm a little disappointed with FRAPS as I was having difficulties getting this recorded. This still isn't how I would like it. When the Doc is having a conversation with Bob, he kept jerking about. Really odd.

In order to go anywhere, there are 4 requirements. Station #1 is where you pick your quest. Station #2 is where you lock in the quest into the TASDIM. Station #3 is where Bob has to do his thing ( whatever that might be :SMILE: ). The Doc has to go over and bug him about though. That's just natural for Doc to be on top of everything. Then you have to go over to the system console and confirm. After confirming, the TASDIM takes you to your destination.

Watch the video, I hope you enjoy. I will continue to tweak this as I go along.

Starmind, you'll see your bubbly tube in this. It looks great. I am really pleased with it.

Note: I have decided to add some audio voice overs. I don't know how much I'm going to do though. It depends on a lot of different things. Anyway here's the link:

See first post of all the videos. As of 3/20/2011 they are currently being made.

Terry
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 05:01
Cool video

I like the quest selection etc, very good. Can you slow the bubbles down on them tubes?? Only they seem a bit fast for bubbles to me at least.

I love that electric teleporter tube thing, looks very cool ^_^

Nice job Tel

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 05:34
Thanks Nbt. I'll ask starmind.

Quote: "Can you slow the bubbles down on them tubes??"

Starmind, is that possible?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 05:44
I am adding audio. Should I include audio voice for the player (Dr. Jeremiah James)? I can see doing it for all other characters. Also, should I include text along with the audio?

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here you go speed reduced. 3 different speeds 2.5, 4, and 6 Just pic what you need. If this still does not work for you you can edit it in notepad, just look for this part in the script:

Now just edit this
to what you want your speed to be. Good luck!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 06:22
Thanks starmind. I'm not sure but it might have been fraps. Fraps lets you choose up to 60fps recording speed. So that is what I selected because I thought I should match what FPSC was. That might have been wrong thinking. It seems to look a little slower in-game. But thanks for the info and I will play around with it.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 06:16 Edited at: 26th Sep 2010 06:17
I asked the following question a few posts up. Anybody care to give their thoughts? I will repeat it here.

I am adding audio voice overs. Should I include audio voice for the player (Dr. Jeremiah James)? I can see doing it for all other characters. Also, should I include text along with the audio?

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 06:33 Edited at: 26th Sep 2010 06:49
IMO you should go down the Half-Life route and not have a voice for the player character.

The reason for this is that the idea behind any 1st person shooter is that YOU are the main character in the game. Therefore to use someone else's voice for the player character is to take away some of the immersion of an FPS.

When I play FPS games I like to imagine that it's me in the game, so I tend to come up with my own lines or thoughts as I play through the game! I'm not so keen on the games that dictate to me how the player character sounds, or what he/she says.

Of course, this is just my own opinion. However, bear in mind that it is also partly what made Half-Life itself (and its sequels) so immersive, which in turn lead to it becoming one of, if not the best, FPS games out there.

[Edit] I forgot to say, I re-read the first post and WOWOWOWOW!!!! Those screen shots!!!! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the game on here I am most looking forward to seeing completed!!!!

I game therefore I am.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 07:06
Thanks Bruce. Did you look at the videos?

Bruce, I agree with you as far as the player goes. You brought up about not even putting words into the players mouth like when he thinks to himself or perhaps has a conversation with, say, Bob; which I already am doing. What about putting words into the players thoughts that might give some clue for the human player? If you saw the video when he went to the jail. Was that over the top to put words into the players mouth? I at least tried to come up with something that would be what just about anybody would think.

Because this is a RPG I am hoping to give the opportunity for the player to actually type in his own words when conversing with another character. Of course, some people don't even like that.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Of course, some people don't even like that."
I think however you feel is better is what you should go with. To many people try to force their opinions and then most of the games on here fizzle out. That is why you should choose some trusted beta testers and get their C&C and go from there.

(And now for my second opinion) I like fps games that allow for both. Like say the wisecracks from Duke Nukem, but I enjoy fps games that only give you a selection of responses like Elder Scrolls.

I actually wanted to give you some support and say how great this is turning out.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 16:33 Edited at: 26th Sep 2010 16:37
Of course, RPGs are a completely different kettle of fish!

I have to hold my hands up and be completely honest with you. When I was talking about FPS games, it had completely left my head that this is in fact a cross-genre game, a mix of FPS and RPG.

As such, RPG elements like selectable conversations with NPCs fit in perfectly. As for the thoughts of the player character, again, as this is a cross-genre game, putting the player character's thoughts on screen in the form of text, again, is perfectly fine.

However, I'm still not sure about adding voice overs for the player character. In an RPG, it's fine to give the player choices of what they want to say, and giving clues in the form of thoughts etc, but I still don't like the thought of having the player character's voice dictated to the player.

An RPG, by its very nature, is an extremely immersive form of game genre, so, in some ways, it is even more important that the player uses his/her own imagination when thinking about what the player character sounds like.

Again, please don't think that I am trying to tell you what to do in your game, it is your game after all. I'm just giving my own opinions on the matter

About the videos, I've watched them a couple of times, which means it was extremely amiss of me to make assumptions about this being an FPS game, instead of the cross-genre game that it is! The videos just make me even more eager to see this game completed lol

I game therefore I am.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 18:00
Thank you both for the comments. They were very helpful. I will not use a voice for the player character. I definitely can see the issue with that being the voice would probably be a Midwestern (US), nasal accent. Something that a person from Scotland, England, India or the Mideast find distracting and lose some "immersion" to the game.

However, I was a little worried about having text of the player mixed with a voice over of Bob. Maybe, I will have text conversations between the two since Bob will be more prevalent within the game and therefore he might need the imagination of the human player of how he sounds. I will make some changes and tweaks to what I have already done and see how you like them.

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 18:02
Quote: "An RPG, by its very nature, is an extremely immersive form of game genre, so, in some ways, it is even more important that the player uses his/her own imagination when thinking about what the player character sounds like."

^^^^Yeah I agree with bruce on this one^^^^

Abdul Ahad
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 18:21
Thanks Abdul Ahad. You were one of those I was thinking of you when I was mentioning non-English speaking countries probably not appreciating an English speaking player character.

I thought I would also mention that I will be making a demo of the TASDIM (which is considered the first level when compiling) and the second level which is the office scene plus more. I then will be wanting a couple of beta testers for the rest of the game.

I am going more slowly than I like right now because of these decisions that need to be made because I want them made now before I continue. I need to know how to proceed before I get too far along. I'm glad you guys commented because I would still be vacillating between the various possibilities.

I have decided to do text conversations with Bob and the Doctor (player character). For the same reason that we shouldn't give him a voice perhaps we shouldn't give him a name either. I was hesitating on just calling him "the doctor" because of Dr. Who. However, I think I could just call him "doctor" or "doc" or maybe even "the doctor" leaving out a name including "who." This game is not going to be that commercial as to it stepping on any toes ad BBC. But, I wonder if I should send BBC an email seeing if I can get permission to call him "the doctor." As I said "who" will never be mentioned except in giving credit to the show for inspiration.

If anybody has an idea for what to call the player character that would be totally "generic" as far as nationality please respond now.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 18:56
I think BlackFox is right. I think you sould have text only for 'The Doctor', but text AND voice for all NPCs, including Bob.

As for the name, I don't think there will be a problem calling him 'The Doctor' in your hud texts, game documentation etc, but maybe have Bob calling him 'Doc' in-game?

However, If you really are concerned about using the name 'The Doctor', how about something like 'The Professor', with Bob calling him 'Prof'?

I game therefore I am.
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 18:56
Hey F L A T L A N D E R,

Can I chat with you somewhere on MSN or Skype please?

Abdul Ahad
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 20:10
Abdul, sent you an email.

Blackfox and Bruce. Sounds good actually. Although I don't think I will do an actual text hud but will use a hud and place text over it. That way if I want to change the text I just have to do it in the setup file. Or I might do it some other way. But, text along with the voice probably would be good, that way the player will not miss what was said as he/she can read it.

My next video will incorporate how I think I will probably do it. There will be a change in the sequence of events in the TASDIM when the game first starts. The video will be in the TASDIM and then going to the "office" level. It will be longer but will then bring it together and be a good example how the rest of the game will proceed.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 20:34
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing the video

I game therefore I am.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 01:09 Edited at: 20th Mar 2011 15:53
I decided to split the two levels up. Here is the beginning of the game. It is a force quest that will go to then level 2. However, in this video it will start loading level 2 but will not load level 2. You will need to wait for the next video to see level 2 and how I made use of the character voice-overs.

All videos will be on first post.

Terry
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 08:05 Edited at: 20th Mar 2011 15:53
This video shows the voice overs for a couple of characters. Since I am not getting much response to this WIP and there is only around 10 or so views for the videos, I will not be posting to this thread until the demo. Then depending on interest I will either continue the thread or not. However, the game will continue even if I don't continue updating the thread.

All videos will be on first post.

Terry
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 17:41 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2010 17:42
No more updates for my favourite WIP?

I game therefore I am.
Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 20:39
You could have shaved off about 30 seconds in video length if you started recording after the game loading

All the same looking cool El Tel ^_^

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 22:06
Quote: "You could have shaved off about 30 seconds in video length if you started recording after the game loading"

I know, but I didn't think I had a video utility to edit a video. However, after looking at Virtual Dub a little closer, I noticed I can select a length when I compress the video. A little too late now.

Quote: "No more updates for my favourite WIP?"

I might do a WIP on facebook or my web-site called olivetreegames.com. I just really feel out of place on these forums anymore. Even though I'm older, I still appreciate constructive criticisms as well as kudos. Those pats on the back are warm fuzzies for anybody regardless of age.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 22:26
Quote: "Even though I'm older, I still appreciate constructive criticisms as well as kudos."

I second that.

I must admit, I do understand where you're coming from; my own WIP has had a little over 2,700 views, but only just over 150 c&c's, and most of those have been my own bumps, or c&c's by Nbt and Anayar (both of whom will be getting top billing in the credits list when it's eventually released). No-one else seems interested enough to comment.

I game therefore I am.
Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone can contact Flatlander? I just wondering what's happend with him

Personal 3D Modeler for your game.
Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes, some of us have contact with him. Like his coding partner-in-crime (that would be me)

He's doing fine. Has been really focusing on his game development right now. We will chat about a few times per day when we are planning additions to RPG Mod. Otherwise it goes to about once or twice a week when he's working hard on his developments.
"

ok, thank you.

Personal 3D Modeler for your game.
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow nice game I ever seen.Is this commercial or free game?I think this will be popular game.

Hello
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 03:47 Edited at: 4th Dec 2010 03:51
Quote: "Wow nice game I ever seen.Is this commercial or free game?I think this will be popular game"

Thanks for the comment. I'm still working on this game. I had to stop when I did some more work on FPI EditPad and RPG Mod. I'm back at it again. I probably won't post again until I have something substantial.

I don't know if it will be commercial or not if commercial it won't cost too much.

I made some changes. Nothing to drastic. One is a name change.

The Fantastic Adventures of The Professor and Bob Corvine: Time Travelers Extrodinaire

It might change again though.

Quote: "Does anyone can contact Flatlander? I just wondering what's happend with him"

Hi Decneo. I've been busy but also I've had some health issues again. I'm on new medication and it seems to b e working out pretty well. I'll try to get you an email soon.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh ok I hope I will see more picture from this game

Have A Good Day And Good Health Flatlander

From
Leon

Hello.There is my pics.And nice to meet all modeller,designer and many more
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 04:45
Yay! Glad to hear that my favourite WIP is still going strong

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2010 00:12 Edited at: 18th Dec 2010 00:23
I' working on finishing up all the conversations the player will have with Janitor #1, with the receptionist and Security Guard #2. At that time I will make a fraps movie and upload it to youtube. This level, however, will still not be completed.

Apparently the mods don't like embedding of you-tube even though there is a post message command for it as indicated in the Geek forum. It was working for awhile. Or maybe there is a disable request sent automatically after so long.

Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 18:02

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:54:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:54:03